test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: October Bugfix Month

Comments

• miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer

On XBox:

1. Disable Alliance Title so it doesn't over ride Guild title. It's extremely annoying since you want to promote your own guild, not whomever is at the helm. I refuse to change titles for this reason, and thats a shame. I love collecting them.

We think this is fixed as of Module 12. So you should be able to swap titles now without the alliance title overwriting it.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    miasmat said:

On XBox:

1. Disable Alliance Title so it doesn't over ride Guild title. It's extremely annoying since you want to promote your own guild, not whomever is at the helm. I refuse to change titles for this reason, and thats a shame. I love collecting them.

We think this is fixed as of Module 12. So you should be able to swap titles now without the alliance title overwriting it.
    Any chance of getting the "alliance title" to be editable, or to say "Helm Guild Alliance" rather than saying "Member of Helm Guild"?
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2017
    miasmat said:

Even if that does explain it, I can't think of a good solution to the misprediction that doesn't let cheaters shoot things from too far away.

@miasmat You could have the server allow for a "grace distance." If client and server disagree about whether the user was in range, calculate MaxGraceDistance = PlayerMovementRate * RunningAverageClientLatency, capping the grace distance at maybe 15% of power range.

"Never trust a UI" is indeed a wise maxim, but "mostly don't trust a UI" might be a better one for games with a client and server connected with non-negligible latency.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User

miasmat said:

Even if that does explain it, I can't think of a good solution to the misprediction that doesn't let cheaters shoot things from too far away.

@miasmat You could have the server allow for a "grace distance." If client and server disagree about whether the user was in range, calculate MaxGraceDistance = PlayerMovementRate * RunningAverageClientLatency, capping the grace distance at maybe 15% of power range.

"Never trust a UI" is indeed a wise maxim, but "mostly don't trust a UI" might be a better one for games with a client and server connected with non-negligible latency.
    I just want to point out that a hacker would then gain a 15% range advantage over real players, since they would simply set all their powers to be usable at +15% range, and would then "deal with" the strange latency issues for the range advantage.

That's why you never trust the client :joy:

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2017

That's why you never trust the client :joy:

Certainly not a good strategy for, say, a home banking app :smile: Given suitable development resources, if the vast majority of the player base gain a QOL improvement and hackers can get an advantage, I would tend to make the game more playable for the majority and spend some energy to detect the hacker ("Hmmm every time PVPEmperorGod uses Radiant Strike, he triggers the grace distance calculation, and half the time he's further than the grace distance...").

It takes effort to implement fuzzy logic like this and more effort to detect attempts to exploit. Not sure if it's practical within the development budget, but it's possible.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    @darthtzarr they could always just you know... Add servers in countries other than the USA (A completely unreasonable request, I know.)
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User

@darthtzarr they could always just you know... Add servers in countries other than the USA (A completely unreasonable request, I know.)

I play on extremely low ping and still have the issue :D

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Sounds like operator error to me ;)
  • sgrantdevsgrantdev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 81 Cryptic Developer
    wigoe said:

sgrantdev said:

The following skills don’t proc Weapon Enchantments:
    Lightning:
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell
    Infernal Spheres
    Wraith’s Shadow
    (both as Normal cast and Curse Consume cast)
    Pillar of Power (procs Lightning only once, despite being an Entity skill)
    Feytouched:
    Brood of Hadar
    Accursed Souls
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell

These should be fixed now.

A couple of notes:
    Immolation Spheres: will take some more time to figure out because of the nature of this power

Entity based abilities and weapon enchants: The past couple of weeks we have been discussing how weapon enchants should trigger and the intent is that the proc (for enchants that have procs) should fire once on activation of the ability. This means that "entity" based powers should proc initially and no more after that. If there is a case where something needs to work different it should be noted in the tooltip.

I am going to look into the rest of these next, but I wanted to let you all know that I was able to fix a chunk of these today.

I'm confused. You stated earlier in this post that you will be fixing the bug with Smoke Bomb and Path of the Blades like abilities for the TR so that they work properly with Lightning/Dread etc. and then you change these Weapon Enchants to not work with abilities like Smoke Bomb and Path of Blades etc. outside of their initial "Entity" ability?

There's a missing bit of logic to this scenario that I hope is just an oversight or a miscommunication as to the future of Weapon Enchantments.

Smoke bomb and PotB were fixed and work as described above. After looking into SB, PotB, and Careful Attack we felt that we needed to make sure that weapon enchants worked consistently and predictably across the board. As a general rule, multi-proccing is not the desired result of a triggered effect like weapon enchants. In special cases it should be noted on the power in some way. An example of a special case would be channeled spells because you are locked into that spell as long as you are using it.

We understand that other changes will need to be made to support fixing this longstanding issue and we are actively looking into make those changes but fixing the core issue is a key first step. Along with this we will look at weapon enchant power and look at classes that have become reliant on multi proccing. Our goal will be decoupling them from this behavior so they are not limited to only abilities that can cause triggers every quarter of a second.

Hopefully this clarifies the confusion mentioned above and settles any uneasiness you may be having.

• ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    <font color="red">In ToNG if a GWF goes unstoppable simultaneously with being charmed, feared, or CC'd by the shadows his unstoppable becomes unusable until he either dies or goes to character select. I'm guessing it has to do with those abilities not respecting unstoppable (intentionally unavoidable CC) therefore if both occur at the same time it overrides and bugs the ability to use unstoppable.</font>
    Post edited by kreatyve on
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• sgrantdevsgrantdev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 81 Cryptic Developer

Lightning:
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell
    Infernal Spheres
    Wraith’s Shadow
    Feytouched:
    Brood of Hadar
    Accursed Souls
    Flames of Phlegethos
    Tyrannical Curse
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell

All of these should now be working properly. Will look at the aura of courage stuff first thing tomorrow. I am looking into something else atm.

• jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    @sgrantdev#8718 @ctatumdev#6113 @balanced#2849 @asterdahl @miasmat

Why classes that multiproc enchantments will get a compensation once changes are made but with SW you guys have refrained commenting on changing Power damage (deals sub-atwill damage)? Fixing it so it crits but leaving its damage unchanged will make SW perform worse than on live in that regard. Why as soon as someone asked about compesation for CW you guys answered real fast but when asked for SW compensation there is simply no answer?
  • ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    <font color=cyan>Certain aspects of the UI are optional extras such as the netgraph. They bring up an additional overlay to the UI that give certain information to the player. However unlike other UI components they are unable to be moved. Allowing all components, optional or not, to be movable would be very helpful to players who have specific UI setups to their preference.</font>
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User

scathias said:

And on that note, you devs have done a great job looking at combat mechanics bugs and such, but could you please spend a couple days going through the guild UI issues that many people brought up on page 1 -3 of this thread? I understand that UI issues are sometimes more complicated to tackle but I think all of the bugs and issues brought up would easily be fixable by adding a couple extra tags for information to display, the UI itself doesn't need to change.

Guilds are a pretty important part of the game but it really feels like you guys have completely ignored everything we have asked about with regards to getting things working better with the guild management pages and so on.

We definitely are considering those issues as well. However, those are things designers can't fix, so they've had to go to programming, and that's why you haven't heard anything about them just yet.

In general, the fixes that you've been seeing fly by fast and furious have been fixes by designers. They involve just data, and so they are faster to do, and safer. But if code is involved, the designers have had to pass them along, and so those fixes haven't happened yet -- code fixes take longer, and those resources (along with the resources for UI work) are always very precious.

Just like with the powers and combat fixes, there are way more requests in this thread than we can do during these 4 weeks, so it will definitely be pick and choose. But those things are being looked at. I know for a fact that at least some of the guild management requests are being worked on right now -- we know how vital guild leaders and officers are to making things run smoothly, so we absolutely want to do things to make their life better!

I really appreciate the reply. Knowing more about what is going on behind the scenes and that this stuff is being looked at makes me feel much better. I know that you can't get to everything but it was just discouraging to feel that you were taking all the easy stuff from one area and (seemingly) leaving the easy stuff in another area.

Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    sgrantdev said:

wigoe said:

sgrantdev said:

Lightning:
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell
    Infernal Spheres
    Wraith’s Shadow
    Feytouched:
    Brood of Hadar
    Accursed Souls
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell

A couple of notes:
    Immolation Spheres: will take some more time to figure out because of the nature of this power

Entity based abilities and weapon enchants: The past couple of weeks we have been discussing how weapon enchants should trigger and the intent is that the proc (for enchants that have procs) should fire once on activation of the ability. This means that "entity" based powers should proc initially and no more after that. If there is a case where something needs to work different it should be noted in the tooltip.

I am going to look into the rest of these next, but I wanted to let you all know that I was able to fix a chunk of these today.

I'm confused. You stated earlier in this post that you will be fixing the bug with Smoke Bomb and Path of the Blades like abilities for the TR so that they work properly with Lightning/Dread etc. and then you change these Weapon Enchants to not work with abilities like Smoke Bomb and Path of Blades etc. outside of their initial "Entity" ability?

There's a missing bit of logic to this scenario that I hope is just an oversight or a miscommunication as to the future of Weapon Enchantments.

Smoke bomb and PotB were fixed and work as described above. After looking into SB, PotB, and Careful Attack we felt that we needed to make sure that weapon enchants worked consistently and predictably across the board. As a general rule, multi-proccing is not the desired result of a triggered effect like weapon enchants. In special cases it should be noted on the power in some way. An example of a special case would be channeled spells because you are locked into that spell as long as you are using it.

We understand that other changes will need to be made to support fixing this longstanding issue and we are actively looking into make those changes but fixing the core issue is a key first step. Along with this we will look at weapon enchant power and look at classes that have become reliant on multi proccing. Our goal will be decoupling them from this behavior so they are not limited to only abilities that can cause triggers every quarter of a second.

Hopefully this clarifies the confusion mentioned above and settles any uneasiness you may be having.

I think the thing that is understandably frustrating, from a TR perspective, is that the reason we've been frustrated regarding the new weapon enchants working with our abilities, is this whole time they have been useable by other classes in the same way. Then, finally, we get you to make our encounters work, we expect them to work the same as it has been which would actually help us a little bit. But, before they even go to preview, you all nerf the whole interaction.

Meanwhile, a lot of other classes are getting bugs fixed that will actually increase their damage, and here the TR is...again. Left behind and forgotten with no word about a class rework in, what, a couple of months?

Every time we feel like we might be getting somewhere, we get the rug pulled out from under us. That has left an awful lot of TRs- good TRs and longtime loyal players- with, what I am going to generously call, a healthy skepticism of the devs stated intention of helping the class out.

What is the deal with giving TRs the tiniest anything to help with our class?

Or, to be more specific, how is letting the WEs proc on only the first tic of smokebomb or PoTB supposed to help TRs in any way, besides create a whole lot of angry players who got excited about maybe using the WEs, and getting the rug yanked out from under us again?

Edit: @ctatumdev#6113 I posted this before I saw your post regarding Shadowborn. My point regarding the WEs stands, but thank you for giving us a little bit of a nod that the rework is still on the radar. Eventually.
    Post edited by sirjimbofrancis on
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
  • mageddo#6766 mageddo Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    The reason everyone is talking that the multiproc with weapon enchants is so important is that It will fix the damage output of classes like TR and SW. There may not even be need for a rework of those classes.

Now when using shadowborn will this make every tic of smokebomb or path of blades get the 25%? These two powers are our biggest concern because pob seems very neglected as I stated earlier how each hit does not pass on DOTs or weapon enchant hits and is staple of a Sabo build. Smokebomb is slotted by almost every TR.

Put the weapon enchant multiproc on preview or just try it out. If it seems overpowered than we can look at that. If it does work it may mean you have your enchant balance like you want and may not have to balance the TR at all seeing how this could even help the weaker whisperknife as well.

Just trying to make your job easier while getting a quick favorable result. Thank you.
  • mageddo#6766 mageddo Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Also we are trying to help you do what you said you wanted and help you make money.
    That's why we were upset on how the bonding nerf was handled as well. You need all runestones, enchants armor and weapon to be on equal footing. This will make the sale of coal wards skyrocket. Also bring augments to bonding companions level. That will increase sale of augments on the Zen store. But I digress.

Yes we can benefit from a multi proc enchantment but you could benefit more if it works and more people would make varieties of enchants. Because right now PC and Xbox have old Tradehouses that have no shortage of vorpal and the influx of new players is too low to have less supply than demand. Ps4 is catching up as well. So take a chance. You have made decisions that you had to change later. This change could help the game economy and technically a new way for more players to generate AD and be more invested in the game and like i said increase real money sales of coal and pres wards. Give it a shot.
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    +1 for y'all @ctatumdev#6113
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    edited October 2017
    sgrantdev said:

sgrantdev said:

Lightning:
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell
    Infernal Spheres
    Wraith’s Shadow
    Feytouched:
    Brood of Hadar
    Accursed Souls
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell

A couple of notes:

@sgrantdev if you do this, the only class which will use these weapon enchantments is GWF and that is it. If you want to completely kill weapon enchant diversity, this sure is the way to do it, since it will be a case of, "if you are a gwf, you can use holy/lightning and if you are anything else, you can use fey, dread or vorp."

The fact of the matter is, there are only 2 situations where using these enchantments is good. The first is if you can proc it multiple times on a single ability and the second is if the ability coefficient of the base skill that constitutes most of your damage is low. GWF spams at wills for most of their damage and for no other class this is the case, so it means they will be the only class that can benefit from them.

As it currently stands as a CW, I will fully admit that the class relies entirely on procs for damage, which, tbh, kind of sucks. This change is pretty much just a nerf to the CW class and that is it, where a large portion of your damage comes from these entity type powers. If you don't like the fact that CW relies entirely on procs for damage, I can understand the reasoning, I don't either, but unless you intend to completely redesign the class so it can actually do damage without procs, this change isn't warranted.
    I should not have posted something like that and left, sorry if I upset some of you. Rest assured I am working with Balanced and we will make adjustments where we think they are warranted to make sure there is not a significant loss of damage if any.

Once again sorry for the mic drop yesterday, I just wanted to get the info about the fixes out before I had to leave the office.
    Damn... So it's really going to happen? I was hoping it was just a passing thought. :cry:
    FrozenFire
  • btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    sgrantdev said:

sgrantdev said:

Lightning:
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell
    Infernal Spheres
    Wraith’s Shadow
    Feytouched:
    Brood of Hadar
    Accursed Souls
    Immolation Spirits
    Gates of Hell

A couple of notes:

@sgrantdev if you do this, the only class which will use these weapon enchantments is GWF and that is it. If you want to completely kill weapon enchant diversity, this sure is the way to do it, since it will be a case of, "if you are a gwf, you can use holy/lightning and if you are anything else, you can use fey, dread or vorp."

The fact of the matter is, there are only 2 situations where using these enchantments is good. The first is if you can proc it multiple times on a single ability and the second is if the ability coefficient of the base skill that constitutes most of your damage is low. GWF spams at wills for most of their damage and for no other class this is the case, so it means they will be the only class that can benefit from them.

As it currently stands as a CW, I will fully admit that the class relies entirely on procs for damage, which, tbh, kind of sucks. This change is pretty much just a nerf to the CW class and that is it, where a large portion of your damage comes from these entity type powers. If you don't like the fact that CW relies entirely on procs for damage, I can understand the reasoning, I don't either, but unless you intend to completely redesign the class so it can actually do damage without procs, this change isn't warranted.
    I should not have posted something like that and left, sorry if I upset some of you. Rest assured I am working with Balanced and we will make adjustments where we think they are warranted to make sure there is not a significant loss of damage if any.

Once again sorry for the mic drop yesterday, I just wanted to get the info about the fixes out before I had to leave the office.
    Yeah good luck trying to make sure there is no loss in damage by changing this mechanic. You guys seem to have no idea the changes made to weapon enchantments not too long ago resulted in CW and GWF getting a significant DPS boost as compared to ALL the other classes. Now you want to change the mechanic and preserve this dps boost? Why?
  • brewaldbrewald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Need to

remove armor enchant visual effect on fashion clothes

And waiting for

finding a solution to disactivate (on/off) armor enchant visual effect on armor

A solution can be used, same than mounts, visual effect are not effective on mounts.

Could you add in the next release note a part for Bugfixes?
    All players will appreciate that
    Post edited by brewald on
    Brewald - GWF 18.3k
    Eleonore - CW Mof Renegade 17.5k
    Harlgard le Vieux - OP Prot 18.3k
    Valrik - DC AC 18.2k
    Furiela - SW Temp 18.1k
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited October 2017

miasmat said:

I was about to post the same idea. However I think the grace distance shouldn't be a percentage but a set number like 5 or 10 feet. The difference between the positions calculated by the client and the server will be the same whether you are trying to use a power with a range of 10 or 40 feet.

To answer @darthtzarr's concerns, in the worst case someone hacking the client would only get a 5 feet distance increase. And then you could simply add a cooldown on the grace distance, i.e. if you use a power from 5 feet too far twice you only get the grace on the first use. This cooldown wouldn't affect legit players since by the time the power activate for the second time client and server would agree on the player's position while preventing cheaters from getting a reliable range increase.
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    brewald said:

Need to

remove armor enchant visual effect on fashion clothes

And waiting for

finding a solution to disactivate (on/off) armor enchant visual effect on armor

A solution can be used, same than mounts, visual effect are not effective on mounts.

Could you add in the next release note a part for Bugfixes?
    All players will appreciate that

I would love a toggle for the armor enchantement visual, but BOTH on armor and clothes.
    I'd be really disappointed to see the armor enchant disabled on clothes without option to reactivate it, as I love my negation visual, both on armor and clothes :) . So a toggle to enable it or not i'm all for it, but for both visual please!

Edit: typo
    Post edited by agilesto on
  • wizzy#0870 wizzy Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    sgrantdev said:

When you say 'reliant on multi proccing', this is referring to weapon enchantments only? So wizards will still be able to multi proc Storm Spell, Creeping Frost etc. after the changes because this is a core mechanic of a CW? I saw on another page people though it was directed to all multi proccing, so clarifying what you mean would be great.

Also how are you going to make it so that other classes can benefit from using % weapon enchantments as much as GWF can when multi proccing gets removed?

https://pasteboard.co/GPEPJXI.png
    This is a screenshot of my combat log after running 2x Epic Temple of the Spider. As you can see 17% of my damage throughout the runs is from Lightning Arc. Nerfing this will easily reduce CWs damage by 20%.

CWs don't over perfrom, there is no reason to change them. If they weren't intended to multi proc enchants, they should never had done. It should have been fixed before mod 11. The subject of multi procs was brought up and discussed multiple times on that thread. It seems unfair now that 1 and 1/2 mods later and after wizards have invested lots of time and AD into these enchants to nerf them.
    Post edited by wizzy#0870 on
  • ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    miasmat said:

On XBox:

Not on PS4
    We have to stand in front of a friend, change title to one we don't want (that puts the alliance title up) then change to the title you want (to get your guild title) back. Since we can't see our own titles we have to stand in a group anytime anyone wants a title change to make sure everyone ends up with the title and guild tag that they want.

Basically as you title change it alternates you between the alliance and guild. So you have to make the correct number of title changes to get to the one you want - but you can't see it.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

This discussion has been closed.