What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• safespacecadet#3341 safespacecadet Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    zebular said:

tomiotar said:

The idea of a new class its a forum concept that is never going to happen in the game. With threads like this one they are just leaving the players to imagine what they want, but the devs are not going to ever bother to try to create a new class or race. The chances of a new class ended before mod6 when the dev team left the game at the begining of 2015, they just included the paladin because by the time of mod6 went live that class was already designed. The team we have now just try to keep the game online, but even after more than 2 years they failed to include on the game dungeons that already existed pre-mod6, so you just can't ask them anything that big as a new class. Rigth now is enjoy what you have or leave, thats up to you.

If that's the case, they just should just plainly say that they are not developing any new classes and will never develop any new classes. And all they really want Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter to be is World of Warcraft with action combat, campaigns, and refining. Refining. Yay.

Cool. I won't be spending any more money on this game. And I definitely won't pay anything if I do end up trying Magic: The Gathering and it is more of the same.
    Don't buy into misinformation based on disgruntled opinion.

Here's some facts: It's been stated that they always have a new class in development and by what they stated, it sounds like they often have two classes in development at a given time, for when they released the OP, they stated that they were already working on another class prior to the release of the OP. It's also been stated that the new class they have in development has been put on hold while continue to bring class balancing across the board.

Through statements they made on this new class, they said that it will "probably be a bard or druid" based on feedback from what the players are asking for. The next module update brings balance fixes, as well as many of the october bugfixes are slated for implementation after mod 12b. So, we are definitely not getting a new class "soon." Rest assured, there is at least one class in development right now. It's just the development of the new class(es) have been placed on the back burner as they don't want to release a new class among a slew of currently unbalanced classes.

I wasn't accepting that person's negative view as the truth. I simply stated how I would feel if that's person's view was the truth. Thank you for the additional information, I appreciate it.

Btw, I think class balancing would be so much easier if non-combat skills became an important part of this game. Originally, D&D classes were not balanced around the idea that each needed to hold their own against another class. Or that classes which were restricted to lighter armor needed to do more damage than those that wore able to wear heavier armor. Fighters generally did more damage than other classes because they had spent much of their lives training for combat, were stronger, and used heavier weapons. But they also had far less skills that were not centered around combat. They might have some secondary skills (also called non-weapon proficiencies in 2nd Edition AD&D) such as fishing, cooking, swimming, riding, etc., but they were less versatile compared to other classes. Rangers and Paladins had more options than Fighters, but they also had more stringent requirements and restrictions. Paladins could even lose the blessing of their deity and be reduced to a fighter if they didn't behave according to the doctrines of their deity.

Rogues had a lot of skills that could be useful in civilized areas such as towns and cities, as well on adventures in the wilderness or in dungeons. Because they spent time training those abilities, they were not as good at combat as warriors. Wizard spells could be useful in a large variety of situations, but, because they spent so much time studying, wizards were the weakest physically, and thus had the lowest chance of survival in combat. Wizards would not be on the front lines of a battle usually. Priests were restricted in the type of weapons and they could use, depending on which deity they served. Priest spells they had access to might also be restricted. Clerics, of course, were the common type of priest, could wear chain mail, but could only use bludgeoning weapons. Priests were physically stronger than rogues and wizards, but not as strong as warriors. (Most normal priests wouldn't be physically stronger than the average person. Clerics were basically members of a militant religious order, while Druids spent a lot of time outside in the wilderness and such.) Btw, different deities would have different restrictions or requirements for their priests. Druids were allowed to use some edged weapons, such as sickle, dagger, and scimitar, but the best armor they could wear was leather.

Of course it is going to be difficult to balance classes that were not originally designed to be used the way they are in mmorpgs. Tank, Healer, and DPS were terms that originated with mmorpgs, not tabletop rpgs. By designing mmorpgs to focus on combat 90% of the time, most of the original purpose for having different classes is lost. Especially when taking a system that was designed for PVE and using it for PVP. There is definitely a way to make a good pvp mmorpg. However, the same progression method used for tabletop Dungeons & Dragons will not work well for pvp. And the massively vertical gear progression found in mmorpgs (but in not in original D&D), definitely does not work well for pvp.

EDIT: I believe that making rpgs and mmorpgs more logical and realistic would not only help to make better and more interesting games, it might even help to make designing and expanding/updating/improving them easier. The problem with cartoons and illogical systems is that they have no basis in reality, and thus no general standard which may agreed upon by the majority of people. Fun is too subjective of a concept to base a system upon. A story or game can be realistic or more realistic despite the inclusion of fantastical elements. I would argue that logic and realism in fantasy stories and games makes them more interesting, not less so. The inclusion of in a story or game of such things as magic, monsters, dragons, and elves, does not mean that every other aspect of the story or game should also defy logic.

Post edited by safespacecadet#3341 on
    edited October 2017
    The way classes currently work in this game, we might as well just have three classes: Paladin, Cleric, and Great Weapon Fighter. Actually, the way classes work in most mmorpgs, they all might as well just have three classes, Tank, Healer, and DPS, or Defender, Healer, and Slayer. Though I suppose some games might also have Buffer/Debuffer and Crowd Controller. Could easily just have Healer also be a buffer/debuffer and Slayer also be a controller though. Well, since this game is based on the stupid D&D 4E rules, it could have Defender, Leader (Healer), Striker (Slayer), and Controller. Except that since you can't use control powers on a lot of things, control powers are often not helpful.

Anyway, my point is, there's not really a need for so many classes in games that focus almost entirely on combat.

The same goes for races. Why have so many races if the difference is mainly cosmetic? Any race can be any class nowadays. And the questlines and overall experience are largely the same no matter what race or gender you play. Place of origin and the deity one worships also have not effect.* Ability score modifiers could be determined by different tribes or species of the same race as easily as they could by races. Besides class and race not necessarily making a huge difference in overall player experience, most newer games won't give players a choice to be good or evil. Not only is everyone required to be an adventurer, everyone is also required to be a hero.

I really hate the idea that the amount of damage a class or player character can do is based on what arbitrary, illogical, unrealistic role they are supposed to play in a party. The first mmorpg I played to max level was Runes of Magic, a WoW clone. I played a knight (eventually knight/warrior) and it really bothered me at first that it took me so long to kill things with a sword. The amount of physical damage a person can do in real life is based on strength, dexterity, combat training, weapon proficiency, weapon specialization, and the specific weapon used. That's how it works in original D&D. Rogues can do double damage if they're able to backstab someone, but it's not always easy to get behind someone in combat. That's why they often have to successfully hide in shadows and/or move silently before they can do so. Wizard spells could hit more targets simultaneously and potentially do more damage than weapons, especially at higher levels, but wizards wouldn't be casting these powerful spells twenty, ten, or even five times a day in most cases. Depending on their level, some wizards might only be able to cast a powerful offensive spell once a day. Even if they could cast more fireballs or meteor swarms a day, they would usually need to save room in their memory for other spells that were for other purposes beyond mass slaughter.

Certainly, the tank, healer, dps concept is easy to design games around, but that doesn't mean it's a good concept. I can't think of any reason for players to like to it other than that it's all they've known and they've gotten accustomed to it.

*In older games, such as Everquest, Everquest 2, and World of Warcraft, the starting areas would be different depending on one's race, and there might be a few different questlines here and there. Some different questlines depending on choice of deity. Everquest 2 did have different questlines and zones to level in depending on whether one's character was good and evil, and to which city he or she was in allegiance. Overall, I think Everquest 2 did a better job of having different paths to take while leveling than WoW. The problem is though, everyone ends up in the same place at endgame. Grinding for loot and gear in dungeons and raids. In Neverwinter there are a few different quests depending on race and class and that's it.
    Post edited by safespacecadet#3341 on
  • athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    I agree with many points. When i started NW i chose the TR class cause i wanted to pick pockets and steal from chests and the game intro made popping in and out so fast look so fun. I played Neverwinter nights and Neverwinter nights 2 and though Neverwinter MMO would be just like it but much much larger. But i was disapointed in the restrictions placed on TR's only one good ability, stealth, and that it couldn't compete with other DPS classes with the same IL and boons. That is why i switched to HR for my main, and love it much more. Its closer to what Drittz is, except for trapper powers.

It would be nice to get some non combat missions that require each class to approach completing it differently. Like a mission to retrieve a certain object from a maze with traps. That maze would have different responses to different classes, like a TR would have to disable the traps, a CW TW and GWF would break walls, and GF and OP would shield up and take the damage, and a DC would use divine skills to find the right clear path... something like that... just a thought. The miniaturized table game we are in right now is fun for a bit but got stale to me after awhile. After all, there is only one path through the levels.

I agree with many points. When i started NW i chose the TR class cause i wanted to pick pockets and steal from chests and the game intro made popping in and out so fast look so fun. I played Neverwinter nights and Neverwinter nights 2 and though Neverwinter MMO would be just like it but much much larger. But i was disapointed in the restrictions placed on TR's only one good ability, stealth, and that it couldn't compete with other DPS classes with the same IL and boons. That is why i switched to HR for my main, and love it much more. Its closer to what Drittz is, except for trapper powers.

It would be nice to get some non combat missions that require each class to approach completing it differently. Like a mission to retrieve a certain object from a maze with traps. That maze would have different responses to different classes, like a TR would have to disable the traps, a CW TW and GWF would break walls, and GF and OP would shield up and take the damage, and a DC would use divine skills to find the right clear path... something like that... just a thought. The miniaturized table game we are in right now is fun for a bit but got stale to me after awhile. After all, there is only one path through the levels.

Neverwinter's action combat is good, I'll give them that. It is the most fun out of any of the other mmorpgs that claim to have good action combat. And it has a good variety of different zones and mobs while leveling 1-60. Imo, it has the best design of any mmorpg I've played in those respects. Only Black Desert Online has combat that is on about the same level. But BDO has too many other problems for me to enjoy playing it as much as Neverwinter. The reason why I've spent so much time commenting on this forum is because this game has the potential to be so much better than it is. Really, I think this game could become the number one most played and most profitable mmorpg on the market. The use of more D&D tabletop mechanics and class specific non-combat skills and spells would make it far more interesting. But that would require more investment of time and money into future modules. I should probably just stop writing here though. Most likely, I'm just wasting my time.

I've quit playing Neverwinter five or six times since I made my first character back in August of 2014. The only real reason I play it right now is that all the other medieval fantasy mmorpgs are so horrible. 90% of them are linear themepark grinders with totally repetitious and basically meaningless endgames. Some of the older ones are a little less linear, but they still end up in the same place. Grinding for loot and gear to become incrementally more powerful. And with really nothing to do with that power except for the same things you did to gain it. There are less than a handful of halfway decent medieval fantasy sandboxes, and those are too outdated or too poorly designed or implemented for me to enjoy playing them. Also don't enough players to really qualify as massively multi-player.

I had some fun with Runes of Magic, Everquest 2, and Neverwinter, but I don't think that themepark mmorpgs have anything more to offer me. Linear, 90% combat, cartoonish, repetitive. Not saying that a themepark couldn't be more fun to play if it was much less linear, had much less focus on combat, and was more realistic. But if the endgame is again just about becoming more powerful just for the sake of becoming powerful, I don't see the point.

In a single player rpg, my character/party actually gets to change the world and/or save it. We don't get to do that in themepark mmorpgs. We don't really change or save anything. Certainly not in any potentially permanent or lasting way. In tabletop mmorpgs my character can effect and change the world based on his or her words, actions, and choices. My character may have the potential to save or even destroy the world, depending on what kind of person and how powerful he or she becomes. But that is not possible with the way themepark mmorpgs are designed. In themepark mmorpgs, all we can really change are the builds and power levels of our characters. Sure, we can build guilds, but that is just to increase our character's power and perhaps provide us with more conveniences.

I would like to see how a game like Neverwinter would play if it was more true to tabletop D&D. However, overall, I think MMORPG developers should let go of the idea that all players need to be adventurers. And especially that all players need to be heroes. It's just not possible to create a viable, persistent virtual world if everyone who plays can basically become a god if they play enough hours or pay enough money. And I don't think any world is going to be exciting and dangerous enough to be able to realistically support thousands of adventurers and heroes. Even just a hundred or so adventurers running around would put a strain on a single realm or region. Especially ones that can't permanently die. Part of why stories, novels and movies about adventurers and heroes are so interesting is because adventurers and heroes are not common. However, after playing and trying a few themepark mmorpgs, I definitely think my characters are more like a mercenary than an adventurer or hero. Adventurers and heroes don't generally just do what they're told or asked to do. And heroes wouldn't necessarily expect or accept a reward for every good deed they do. More than that, my character will not really be missed by the game world if I choose to stop playing. My character is not really needed. More of a tourist really.
  • grampyrulz#4209 grampyrulz Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Having core classes to play is more important to me than having new areas to adventure in. Though I do have a favorite to vote for, I can't argue here which should be next when a game with "DnD" as it's model should give access to these classes from the get-go. 12 mods later we should be debating subclass or prestige class, not core.
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User

Having core classes to play is more important to me than having new areas to adventure in. Though I do have a favorite to vote for, I can't argue here which should be next when a game with "DnD" as it's model should give access to these classes from the get-go. 12 mods later we should be debating subclass or prestige class, not core.

This is exactly why I haven't "voted" a new class

Well, that and when we are limited to 5e core classes I don't see a big hole any of the rest could fill

It seems like we are nearing the point at which level cap would be increasing, and I think Chult proves Cryptic devs are headed that way as well, so instead of a new class, I'd much rather see prestiges built out for the classes we have.... multi-classing being probably an unrealistic dream

Druid could be a prestige option for HRs and TRs could gain a much needed party support option by electing a Bardic prestige role.... yeah, maybe that's a stretch, but it could work

As others have said, the GWF is already pretty much taking the place of the Barbarian, so add a Berserker prestige for them and you got all your 5e bases covered

Oh... monk... those never work out right in mmos... everybody tries to give them weapons instead of leaving them bare handed as they are supposed to be

As we don't currently have a robed holy type, I guess if the pipe-dream of prestige classes caught hold, monks could be the new class with prestige upgrades being bare-fisted attacker, debuff monk with a stick and healer monk
  • grimelfherogrimelfhero Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2018

Post edited by grimelfhero on
  • ultimatefgt123ultimatefgt123 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 96 Arc User
    you only have to play the current mod to see that they are working on Bard powers - all the Charm / Fear mechanics etc will be used as a template.
    edited March 2018
    edited October 2017
    I'd love to see some prestige class 'upgrades' come out for the classes we have. And Cryptic can raise the level to 80 by having certain requirements met to become a prestige class. I'd personally set it as you must have 90 power points, be a certain IL, like 13k, complete all campaigns up to Chult, and then do a certain 'enlightenment' quest where your class learns of the prestige class. Perhaps the levels 70-80 are learned in a different manner not directly through experience points per-se but getting prestige points.

Perhaps a prestige bonus could be another encounter power, class feature, and daily to use, and those slots could only hold a prestige power.

As for monk, you can leave them weaponless, since their fists and feet are the weapons. So you just put in those main hand off hand slots gauntlets each with their own added abilities.
    edited March 2018
    edited March 2018
    Core classes need to be first, before prestige, before lvl cap raise, and (I have to agree with @grimelfhero) before making mods with new zones. I have plenty of alts that have plenty to do for a few mods as well.

I miss every class that is not available (with the exception maybe of the barbarian, GWF has the feel of a multi-class barbarian/fighter to me). And maybe they have nothing more than aesthetics to offer us, but for so many that is exactly why they are wanted.
  • jackofshadowsjackofshadows Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A BATTLEMAGE
    I was thinking a bit more on prestige. we don't need to raise the level cap, but how about this: prestige class gives new powers, raise the power point cap +10, another 10 points towards paragons, and a new class feature and encounter spot. That wouldn't break the game right? Then you could add things like arcane archer, battlemage, and others that i saw in NWN2.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    truth is, it been over 2 years and players are fed up waiting, the word is, "they are Too Lazy"
  • astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    wylonus said:

truth is, it been over 2 years and players are fed up waiting, the word is, "they are Too Lazy"

Is not the Devs "are Too lazy", is the highup that worry about the "bottom-line" insted of what the members want...too sad!

• wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    right, guys in that want more money group, they are nasty and dont care what players wants, they seem dont see it right, it would be the biggest cash cow, players want housing for armor stands for old armors they have, trophies to display, and stuffs.
    Guildhalls we got are very limited.

didnt mean to derailed this topic, it been way too long for any new class.

NWO are many many miles behind on racing track trying almost doing nothing while EQ2, ESO and few others already had houses, mansions and the inns, are so far ahead and broke the endline ribbons. did NWO team give up? or are they waiting for STO testing the market on newer player owned homes?
    STO's few ships has personal decorations and that hadnt been active for long time.
    edited March 2018
    "Druid and Monk are basic D&D classes that have been in the game since at least as far back as 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1978)."
    - @grimelfhero

I believe Druid was introduced in BECMI Companion set and Monk (Mystic) in the Master set. If you wanted something Bardish, you could take heavy lore/music skills that I believe was introduced in the Rules Cyclopedia. Not quite sure of the timeline on all the sets, but the first Basic rules came out in 1974 I believe, so the addition of Druid and Mystic into BECMI rules was most likely directly influenced by 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

The Basic set is a great, easy to learn game. I am currently getting ready to introduce the grandkids to it, going to be a blast!
  • lordmalak#9087 lordmalak Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I think neverwinter needs some new classes. So with the upcoming updates and possibly change of the 2 cleric groups. I think it would be nice to have some new classes. I would like to see something like a Druid as a healer class that way you can still get buffs and heals. Even though the power buff would be lower it would increase survivalbility it may take a little bit longer to finish but it would help you stay alive. The problem even with 2 DCs you never now what they are going to be DPS/Buff/ or healer(very rare). I would also like a little separation from the GF because when pugging you never know if you got a DPS or actual tank. Which with the auto queue this could cause issues in the more difficult dungeons. There are tons of classes in D&D and I would say duel class but most of the classes are dual they just don’t say it. In a perfect world I would like to see a ninja or monk. Even with MOD 12 they could of added an New class like beast hunter or something else really cool. Please post your thoughts and what you would like to see as a class.
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    zebular said:

tomiotar said:

The idea of a new class its a forum concept that is never going to happen in the game. With threads like this one they are just leaving the players to imagine what they want, but the devs are not going to ever bother to try to create a new class or race. The chances of a new class ended before mod6 when the dev team left the game at the begining of 2015, they just included the paladin because by the time of mod6 went live that class was already designed. The team we have now just try to keep the game online, but even after more than 2 years they failed to include on the game dungeons that already existed pre-mod6, so you just can't ask them anything that big as a new class. Rigth now is enjoy what you have or leave, thats up to you.

If that's the case, they just should just plainly say that they are not developing any new classes and will never develop any new classes. And all they really want Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter to be is World of Warcraft with action combat, campaigns, and refining. Refining. Yay.

Cool. I won't be spending any more money on this game. And I definitely won't pay anything if I do end up trying Magic: The Gathering and it is more of the same.
    Don't buy into misinformation based on disgruntled opinion.

Here's some facts: It's been stated that they always have a new class in development and by what they stated, it sounds like they often have two classes in development at a given time, for when they released the OP, they stated that they were already working on another class prior to the release of the OP. It's also been stated that the new class they have in development has been put on hold while continue to bring class balancing across the board.

Through statements they made on this new class, they said that it will "probably be a bard or druid" based on feedback from what the players are asking for. The next module update brings balance fixes, as well as many of the october bugfixes are slated for implementation after mod 12b. So, we are definitely not getting a new class "soon." Rest assured, there is at least one class in development right now. It's just the development of the new class(es) have been placed on the back burner as they don't want to release a new class among a slew of currently unbalanced classes.

The reason for my negativity is that the last time that we got a serious job on balancing the classes was more than a year ago, but when Amenar quited the game we just got a few nerfs and nothing really deep on the core mechanics. Amenar did a great job working on the HR and the SW, sadly after he quited it was just nerf after nerf to the SW to make it the worst DPS again after all the time that Amenar took to make it better. The excuse about balancing expired long ago because nothing was actually done on the last year and the promises of new classes date from the times they release the OP.

Zebular, you are a player from the first times, you do know how often we had new classes to try at the beginning and how now that just seem so long on the past that seem to belong to a different game. Looks like we got Neverwinter v1.0 (up to mod5) that was replaced by Neverwinter v2.0 (after mod6). I know its supposed to be the same game and not different versions, but if you did play from the beginning you know that the current Neverwinter seem completly different from the game the previous dev team started.
    It feels different because D&D 5e came out. 5e has plenty more core classes than what we have, so, yeah, over due for another one.
  • celticdaddy77#4008 celticdaddy77 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Personally, I would LOVE to see Druid and Bard get released together. But, besides that, I would die to go to Luskan, or another city. I feel, as well, that we should be able to pick our alignment, and PVP should be based on it as well. It would be good to have some more gods/goddesses included (Would love to see Lloth added for the Drow). Also, would love to see more starting areas, that are focused for opening chars, especially being based on background, that are designed to lead you to Neverwinter. But, I guess that would be a much more difficult task. One day maybe. Until then, Lets hope for new City to go to, and class abilities, like pickpocketing, C'mon, as a rogue what else am I supposed to do besides come in 2nd or 3rd in DPS?
  • mageddo#6766 mageddo Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    If they make another class it will be druid or bard. Druid is great but depending on how they make it would be pointless. We already have buff and healer classes, classes that have their own pets i.e. soul puppets, and control is out the window because this game even though having 5 controllers in the game those powers are not supported making them the weakest option.

Buffs... heals... I don't think anything will break the two DC meta. If the druid is better it will just switch to a two druid meta.

Bard has problems too. We have too many dps classes already! Like I said earlier with no CC on bosses and now nerfed on PvP control is useless and that leaves him only to buff or debuff.

Biggest problem with both. They are good at too many things. They will make three paths of great ideas poorly implemented and not supported with in correct tool tips.

This leads into my choice. Stop!! We have already been shown that in the years NWO has existed that we still to this day have problems with the classes we have now. At least two more major reworks coming after mod 14 from what I've been able to decipher from Cryptic's cryptic posts.

Clearly it is too difficult to care for the classes that already exist. Why make another? That's like having trouble caring for the kid you have but still knocking your wife up for more.
    I'd rather have a monk than a druid or bard, but that's because RA Salvatore is my favorite DnD author and he had 3 monks in the stories, no druids and no bards. If a monk is created it cannot be a squishy DPS like TR, monks just aren't. We already have a "druid" in the HR what is needed is a shape shifter instead of a 'druid", and bards, yes, need allot of thought to incorporate into the current setup.
  • avalanche616avalanche616 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Picked Bard to match my Satyr choice for playable races. Would be happy with ANY new classes and races!
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    Sorry, I don't see the "Anything other than a Monk" button. ;)

On a more serious note, As a newer player I was thinking I would slowly make my way through the classes and do one of each over time. I figure at the rate I play this will take quite a long time so any new classes will just get added to my list.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • mikaleus#7208 mikaleus Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I still want to see a Druid.
    2 circle options to choose from.

Plenty of circles for different play styles

Circle of the Moon
    -shapeshifting gives us abilities whilst shapeshifted.

Cot Land
    The elemental spell caster. I kind of see wizard already doing this well.

Cot Sheperd
    - From Xanathars, this is the summoner type.

CIrcle of Dreams
    - Fey influenced, healing circle. Fits nicley with the Fey Wild module too.

Plenty of druid NPCs in game so armor models should be fine.
    The moonshae has base animations for druid spells in call lightning and fire seeds.

I'd also love to see new subclass option s for current classes one day.

However as in the warlock class quest line, it's established your patron is a fiend so seems unlikely your Warlock would use spells from Archfey for example.

Speaking of class quests, the Paladin and ranger need one.