test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Archer DPS

jackharper#1224 jackharper Member Posts: 112 Arc User
Hello
I need help experienced players. HR Archer is a good DPS class? If we have similar GWF/SW/TR/HR trapper and HR Archer. An archer will deal similar damage to others classes or will be weak? What do you think?
I play with this build.
http://mmominds.com/2017/07/02/bloodtalons-pve-archer-hr-dps-build/

Comments

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    I'm afraid archer is still the weakest of the trees. It can do good damage in certain places, tiamat for example, but ti's very situational, and has terrible survivability.

Comabat is top, paingiver-wise, but trapper is only a tiny bit behind.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • jackharper#1224 jackharper Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    I have similar observations, but I wasn't sure because I play this character since recently.
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    I play the archer path for both solo and party content. The biggest strength is both its biggest weakness, but with time I have gotten better at being able to keep the distance between me and the enemy, doing so gets one that extra 30% critical chance and thus its much easier to get to the 100% critical chance on a budget build. Its by far the most fun of all my alts to play, and when I first picked the HR class to play, playing from a distance is the style of play I had in mind.

I have been able to solo Chult content with 10K IL and have gotten 3 million per aimed shot against Orcus, so while I cannot give you exact comparisons I cannot say that my dps is so bad that I want to retire my archer. Then there is also the longstrider buff that is seriously powerful for parties.

The one thing on that guide is how it says marauders escape is not that useful, I strongly disagree with that, by keeping the distance between me and mobs I am popping off lots of aimed shots and ensuring both my survivability and dps. Also it makes no mention of the mirage weapon, for me this is the best weapon for my archer, its not the dps it brings (which is not much) but the decoy functionality the mirages provide you, having the enemy attack your mirages instead of you has made the hardest solo mobs much easier to deal with.
  • stefoid#1036 stefoid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    3 million? geez

Can you list your design?

(agree with mirage for solo - plus it triggers AotP, but I suppose for ranged combat, thats not a big deal)
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User

3 million? geez

Can you list your design?

(agree with mirage for solo - plus it triggers AotP, but I suppose for ranged combat, thats not a big deal)

Pretty much to how that guide says it, you want to get to 100% critical ASAP. It does not mention weapon enchantment, I went with Vorpal because its cheap (one does not have to get a trans Vorpal) and almost all the damage is coming from your at wills and not your encounters. I got the cheap dexterity and duelist cloak (because boosting your dexterity to max is what you want for archer), none of these are maxed yet at time of writing. I have a bunch of cheap blue insignia, nor have I gotten a single enchantment to even level 10 yet, so there is still a lot of scope to boost one damage. Start every fight with longstrider, double hit tab for the extra change stance bonus and fire aimed shot, I can get to the one million mark after eight shots on the training dummy with IL 10k, I don't remember how many shots it took to get to 3 million on Orcus, but I do know I managed to fire off five or six 3 million shots before his roar.

The guide also does not mention companions, there you might want to go for companions that is not the standard for almost all the other class recommendations, the hunting hawk, and the threat reduction companions help a lot for archer.

• nirafelosnirafelos Member Posts: 113 Arc User

I can get to the one million mark after eight shots on the training dummy with IL 10k, I don't remember how many shots it took to get to 3 million on Orcus, but I do know I managed to fire off five or six 3 million shots before his roar.

Phrasing like this makes me worry you're just mis-reading the floating combat text. HRs/Archers don't have a mechanic that causes each successive attack to deal more damage than the last. Buffs do take a while to stack up, and cleric buffs can absolutely double or triple your damage, but for the most part, there's no reason your 8th consecutive aimed shot on a target dummy should do more than your 5th or 6th. Particularly not by a large amount or reliably. However, there's another explanation for why your combat text might look like it's hitting for 1M+.

When you hit with the same at-will attack multiple times in a row, Neverwinter's floating combat text adds them together and displays the new value. This repeats indefinitely until you break the chain for longer than a few seconds. This could mean that, rather than reaching 1M per shot after 8 shots on a target dummy, you're actually hitting for ~125,000, and that after 8 shots that adds up to 1M and 1M is being displayed by NW's floating combat text.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Unfortunately I think this is the case, I tried an archer load out for a while, and hitting a million with a single aimed shot is a very rare thing. You need a good D.C. and a timely into the fray.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • thailadiathailadia Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I play pure Archery-stormwarden built since the begiining of the game and still play it because I like this kind of play style.

I could not say Archery HR is the best dps but for sure, we are not the low dps that could be ignored in the team. Archery is mid-high dps level, I would say :p . Instead of the dps, Archery have quite a strong buff (longstrider) / de-buff (Thorn ward) for the group playing in compensation.

For dps, you need to use the most benefit of the distance between you and foe in order to get the best outcome. The combination of 100% of crit chance + more% of crit sevirity + managing of distance + [Hero feat] Scoundrel Training + [Paragon feat] Longshot, Unflinching Aim, Stillness of the Forest and Predator + [encounter buff] Longstrider + [optional encounter debuff] Thorn ward / Commanding shot is a must, in my opinion.

Note: My opinion is applied only pve, For pvp, it might be able to apply but I never concentrate on it, so I could not provide any information on that.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    The main issue with the Archer is Prey being a debuff and not a buff. If I play solo, my DPS as Archer is close to combat and a bit below Trapper. With better and better parties Archer starts to lag behind as Prey becomes less useful, while combat gets better and better due to party cooldown reductions that enable more encounter spamming (while trapper doesn't get real rotation improvements). So with top parties Combat is the best, Trapper is a bit behind but with much more flexibility and Archer lags behind by quite a good deal.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    When I started playing NW about 2 months ago I started as an "Elvish Archer" just because I thought it was cool. I had no idea I was picking a much-maligned class at the time. The way I wanted to play through all the Sword Coast Chronicles from beginning to end had me far out leveling them, as I went along. It gave me a false impression of superiority. When I finished the SCC and started the Drowned Shore (at around L68?) the amount of difficulty I was having was quite a surprise. A couple days later when I reached Level 70 and stepped into the Well of Dragons, I was shocked just how badly I got spanked by the first mob I encountered. LOL

I then found Blood Talon's Archer Build the OP posted. It's done me wonders.

I'll admit, I know my Archer isn't BIS (I've got a L60ish Scourge Warlock that's already able to solo content my L70 "BT Archer" still has trouble with), but I still enjoy playing him. I like the playstyle.

Just last night I reached ~10k IL. I don't really know how to calculate my DPS, but I can now solo anything in the WoD, Drowned Shore, Spinward Rise, and Sharandar. It can be challenging by myself, especially if there are more than 5 bad guys in a mob, mostly because they want to get up and personal, and I spend more time running around than doing damage (with Yakety Sax playing in my head, of course, LOL). Fewer than five, I can usually take them out before they get to me (or reset range with Marauder's Escape, which I like to use during solo play).

If I'm in a team, whether it be a rando adventure zonemate teaming-up for dailies, or members of my guild, if I can get someone to hold the mob, and leave me to just keep up the pressure damage, I seem to hit pretty hard and have been told as much a few times.

I am working on getting better gear, but here's my build and some stats, so far:

Head: Pilgrim Raid Tarak (Epic)
    - Quartermaster Enchantment, Rank 7
    - Overload: Varies, often empty
    Armor: Pilgrim Assault Josan (Epic)
    - Cruel Enchantment, Rank 7
    - Lesser Thunderhead Enchantment
    Arms: Pilgrim Assault Bazubands (Epic)
    - Overload: Varies, often empty
    Main Hand: Teak Alqaws (Epic)
    - Azure Enchantment, Rank 8
    - Vorpal Enchantment, Rank 8
    Melee: Wootz Kilij (Epic)
    Feet: Manticore Raid Gaiters (Epic)
    Neck: Lostmauth's Hoard Necklace (Rare)
    - Lesser Dragon's Hoard Enchantment
    Right Ring: Ostorian Ring of Dod (Epic)
    Left Ring: Ostorian Ring of Dod (Epic)
    Waist: Golden Belt of Puissance (Epic)
    - Quartermaster Enchantment, Rank 5
    Shirt: Drowcraft Undercoat (Epic)
    Trousers: Drowcraft Trousers (Epic)

Primary Artifact: Lostmauth's Horn of Blasting (Epic)
    Secondary Artifacts:
    - Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue (Rare)
    - Lantern of Revelation (Rare)
    - Sigil of the Hunter (Rare)

Summoned Companion:
    Quasit (Augment):
    - 2x Eldritch Runestones, Rank 7
    - 1x Profane Runestone, Rank 7
    Ostorian Ring of Dod (Epic)
    - Azure Enchantment, Rank 7
    Fierce Talisman of the Companion +3 (Rare)
    Bold Belt of the companion +3 (Rare)

Other Active Companions:
    - Lightfoot Thief (DoT on Crit)
    - Owl (-25% Threat)
    - Swashbuckler (+Crit when hit with a Crit)
    - Hunting Hawk (+Dmg at range)

Mount Powers:
    - Victim's Preservation
    - Gladiator's Guile
    - Wanderer's Fortune
    - Magistrate's Patience
    - Berserker's Rage
    - My mount Insignia are about 2/3 Rare, 1/3 Epic, stats vary (don't have list with me).

Some of my stats:
    - Critical Chance is ~78% (Crit Sev 80%)
    - Arm Pen is ~70%
    - Defense is ~25%
    - Deflect ~11%
    - Life Steal ~6%
    Post edited by lordhavelock on
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    I use a hunting hawk to boost distance damage.

I use a crab as the root helps keep the distance open.

When I feel like being rude to mobs I use an intellect devourer to keep the range open.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • patcherrkmpatcherrkm Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    i would love if archer was viable in most end game content. it isnt make a combat loadout.