test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] CW Mechanics Guide: (Mod 13)

Comments

• niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Mystik on Youtube has a good build video (same build run by Freedom). Things will change come 12b.
  • smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    niadan said:

Mystik on Youtube has a good build video (same build run by Freedom). Things will change come 12b.

no they won't
    edited September 2017
    Ok....MAY...change. At least till you have spent a fortune on upgrading Bondings and enchants to make up for the coming nerf.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I Dissapointed when i saw forghammer of gond in mystik videos. Glad it got fixed.
    And i am saying this is not nice to promote cw as a class abusing bugs to deal damage.
    edited September 2017
    There are no updated 12b guides (worth looking at) that I am aware of. Quite frankly, unless you are just a copy and paste kind of player, the CW Mechanics Guide from @thefabricant is the best we have at the moment, coupled with being up to speed on the 12/12b changes.

Whether you can call the use of Forgehammer an exploit of a bug or not I cannot say, but at least we have YOU @mamalion1234 to keep us on the moral path of righteousness. I think of it more as an interaction between two mechanics that the devs overlooked and later nerfed,fixed,changed. It certainly was not the reason why the likes of Mystik, Freedom, Sharpie are able to pump out the damage that they do.
    Post edited by niadan on
    edited September 2017
    niadan said:

There are no updated 12b guides (worth looking at) that I am aware of. Quite frankly, unless you are just a copy and paste kind of player, the CW Mechanics Guide from @thefabricant is the best we have at the moment, coupled with being up to speed on the 12/12b changes.

Whether you can call the use of Firgehammer an exploit of a bug or not I cannot say, but at least we have YOU @mamalion1234 to keep us on the moral path of rightousness. I think of it more as an interaction between two mechanics that the devs overlooked and later nerfed,fixed,changed. It certainly was not the reason why the likes of Mystik, Freedom, Sharpie are able to pump out the damage that they do.

gond made cw to have permanent recovery on power critical build and permanent dailies that result fast completions of any content.( talking only for 1 person i saw to use it let out freedom and sharp)>

AND its too bad that the thing still exists but limited to 10 sec duration and cooldown 60 sec( artificier persuation need
    tone down my opinion same and for sherped devotion)>
  • ruslan1404#8974 ruslan1404 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    can MoF Rimefire DoT for the 2nd CW to SS proc Abyss of Chaos, Weapon Enchantments, Storm Spell, Creeping Frost, Spell Twisting and Aura of Courage?
  • trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User

can MoF Rimefire DoT for the 2nd CW to SS proc Abyss of Chaos, Weapon Enchantments, Storm Spell, Creeping Frost, Spell Twisting and Aura of Courage?

Rimefire is a proc. Procs cant proc things from what I know.
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User

Yep, there's pretty much a universal rule across all RPG/MMOs that "procs can't proc procs".

When procs can proc procs you get into the danger of infinite damage loops and other silly game breaking things.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    dairyzeus said:

Yep, there's pretty much a universal rule across all RPG/MMOs that "procs can't proc procs".

When procs can proc procs you get into the danger of infinite damage loops and other silly game breaking things.
    See: prepatch Lostmauth set on CW.

(not that that's a great example, given how broken it was regardless of class...)

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

@ruslan1404#8974 I haven't checked specifically if Rimefire applied by a 2nd CW can proc stuff. The general rule of thumb as pointed out above would be no, but since I haven't checked it specifically I will refrain from giving an answer. This game loves to break that rule every now and again. (Storm Spell offhand bonus can proc itself, Tenebrous enchant can proc off procs.)
    rjc9000 said:

dairyzeus said:

See: prepatch Lostmauth set on CW.

(not that that's a great example, given how broken it was regardless of class...)
    Right, and it was nerfed because procs proccing things is usually game breaking (unless specifically designed that way).
  • ruslan1404#8974 ruslan1404 Member Posts: 53 Arc User

@ruslan1404#8974 I haven't checked specifically if Rimefire applied by a 2nd CW can proc stuff. The general rule of thumb as pointed out above would be no, but since I haven't checked it specifically I will refrain from giving an answer. This game loves to break that rule every now and again. (Storm Spell offhand bonus can proc itself, Tenebrous enchant can proc off procs.)
    thanks. I translate and distribute to friends CW in Russia your guide therefore I asked, this is for those who have a bad English
  • lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User

Just wanted to post that news of another mechanics guide by Sharp brought me back to the game after a 6-8 month hiatus. Glad to see you back to leading the community here. TY for all the work.

Can't believe I've only recently become aware of this piece of work.
    Perhaps the most in-depth investigation into Neverwinter mechanics ever done?

Brilliantly done Sharp!

edited October 2017
    Yep, but be carefull....

With great power comes great responsibility!
    Post edited by niadan on
  • fantasticmfantasticm Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Thank you for this guide.

I have a few questions and hope someone can answer them. They might be very obvious but I better ask and be sure then to keep on wondering.

I am on Xbox so u have to rely on PC testing, to know what's bis as some descriptions don't really make sense.

In the guide it says lighting is best if I use aoe on aoe and bilethorn is best if aoe on single target.

1. At rank 11 and up, bilethorn states that after four seconds it deals damage to nearby enemies, while before it says it takes extra damage after four seconds. Does that mean it only passes on damage after rank 11 or it also passes on the damage?

2. Your primary target is slowed, stacking up to three times. Does that mean the slow stacks up to three times? ... or the entire enchantment does?

3. If I go into a single target fight and I go the extra mile to have a second weapon enchantment in the first place, why wouldn't I switch to single target powers?

Which brings me to my fourth questions...

4. Is bilethorn damage higher on single target fights using aoe, then if I use vorpal, dread or feytouched with single target powers?

Thank you for reading and taking time to answer :)
    edited October 2017
    The duration of Combustive Action is increased by 5 seconds by applying it with Oppressive Force.

THat is incorrect the duration extends much lesser than 5 seconds.

here we see 5 sec duration.

here we see 8 sec duration. A friend helped me so i was casting here opressive force and he casting non stop ray of frost.

here we against the golem in elol. 8 sec.

Here a screenshot that shows the ray of frost hit for 5 sec with debuff after ice knife.
    Yes here we see 5 seconds combustive action

According to above tests vs dummies and non dummies and a test with the combustive with other daily like ice knife,
    we can see combustive action duration is between 5 and 6 seconds ( combustive tooltip do not say the duration ) and the opressive force do not extend the duration by 5 seconds.

Note an enemy to get the full " extended time " it needs to get hit from all the opressive tics like the golem in screenshot( on dummy maybe miss due dummy dies but vs a very slow monster like that golem and his big size very hard to miss)

P.S. test was without the twisting immolation feat to reflect the guide statement.

Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    niadan said:

Yep, but be carefull....

With great power comes great responsibility!

Sharp = Spider Man?

@spideymt, a certain egghead is stealing your name!

In the guide it says lighting is best if I use aoe on aoe and bilethorn is best if aoe on single target.

1. At rank 11 and up, bilethorn states that after four seconds it deals damage to nearby enemies, while before it says it takes extra damage after four seconds. Does that mean it only passes on damage after rank 11 or it also passes on the damage?

Bilethorn is split into two different hits: the initial hit, and after 4 seconds have elapsed, you'll hit them again for a second hit. Or:

When your attack hits a target, you deal 15% of your weapon damage (scales with buffs/debuffs/can crit).

4 seconds afterwards, you'll deal 25% of your weapon damage (scales with buffs/debuffs/sometimes Crits, depending on ability, check page 2 in this thread to figure out which abilities allow the secondary hit to Crit or not).

3. If I go into a single target fight and I go the extra mile to have a second weapon enchantment in the first place, why wouldn't I switch to single target powers?

Yes, you'll want single target powers at the ready.

4. Is bilethorn damage higher on single target fights using aoe, then if I use vorpal, dread or feytouched with single target powers?

Bilethorn inherits the properties of the ability which procs it, so if, say your Ice Knife Crits, then your Bilethorn hits will Crit. If you have Focused Wizardry, your Bilethorn on Disintegrate recieves the Focused Wizardry buff.

Assuming you aren't using Icy Terrain right now, I would personally pick the Feytouched if you have a Paladin.

Feytouched buffs 30%+ of your DPS (Aura of Courage). It is pretty decent with Storm Spell, Disintegrate, and Ice Knife, as well as the rest of the single target abilities.

Ok, thank you for that info.

So, but then, if I switch to single target powers when fighting single mobs like bosses, then it is better to go with vorpal, Fey or dread.

Having 100% critical chance, I understand that Fey is better than vorpal, right? Does that mean Fey is also better than dread?

Thanks again. Great help.

Ok, thank you for that info.

So, but then, if I switch to single target powers when fighting single mobs like bosses, then it is better to go with vorpal, Fey or dread.

Having 100% critical chance, I understand that Fey is better than vorpal, right? Does that mean Fey is also better than dread?

Thanks again. Great help.

Assuming 100% crit chance, it depends on your crit damage (before vorpal or dread).

Without going into maths, the general idea is:

The more crit damage you have means that adding additional crit damage will impact your overall dps less.

The reason fey is recommended (and I recommend it too) is because CWs actually have large portions our damage damage which cannot crit.

If something cannot crit (storm spell, assailant, aura of courage from a pally), then dread or vorpal doesn't boost it at all.

The bonus from fey however, is a straight damage buff that affects everything. Since we're an encounter heavy class, we have no worries about keeping the fey buff up, thus making it an excellent choice for single target.

Note that if your fey enchant isn't trans, fey does have a cooldown attached to it. The cooldown really kills fey's potential, to the point that vorpal/dread are better than fey up until you get to the trans level.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    So has anyone included the items listed in the guide that are broken for the October Bug Fix Month? I noticed some changes to CW but not everything noted in the guide that are listed as broken.
    > @dairyzeus said:
    > Ok, thank you for that info.
    >
    >
    >
    > So, but then, if I switch to single target powers when fighting single mobs like bosses, then it is better to go with vorpal, Fey or dread.
    >
    >
    >
    > Having 100% critical chance, I understand that Fey is better than vorpal, right? Does that mean Fey is also better than dread?
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks again. Great help.
    >
    > Assuming 100% crit chance, it depends on your crit damage (before vorpal or dread).
    >
    > Without going into maths, the general idea is:
    >
    > The more crit damage you have means that adding additional crit damage will impact your overall dps less.
    >
    > The reason fey is recommended (and I recommend it too) is because CWs actually have large portions our damage damage which cannot crit.
    >
    > If something cannot crit (storm spell, assailant, aura of courage from a pally), then dread or vorpal doesn't boost it at all.
    >
    > The bonus from fey however, is a straight damage buff that affects everything. Since we're an encounter heavy class, we have no worries about keeping the fey buff up, thus making it an excellent choice for single target.
    >
    > Note that if your fey enchant isn't trans, fey does have a cooldown attached to it. The cooldown really kills fey's potential, to the point that vorpal/dread are better than fey up until you get to the trans level.

Ok, that helps me to understand the reason behind it. Thank you so much for that
    Just don't use icy terrain with Fey until the fix is in.
    Ice Knife procs weapon enchantments 4 times.

MY tests:

Ice knife proc some of the scaling weapon enchantments 4 times.

Feytouched and holy avenger is not the case.

feytouched 0 procs.

holy avenger 3 procs.

• lifeofrisklifeofrisk Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    thanks mamalion for your tests <3
    edited October 2017

MY tests:

feytouched 0 procs.

holy avenger 3 procs.

It is easier to write, "Ice knife procs weapon enchantments 4 times," then to write:

"Ice knife procs weapon enchantments 4 times except feytouched since it is a known bug that feytouched does not proc on daily powers and holy avenger since holy avenger has an ICD on the WE proc." If you want specific info like that though, I did list it all here. Those are specific mechanics unique to those 2 enchants which make them behave differently. Every enchant has some minor quirk and I don't really want to clutter my guide by listing all of the quirks. For those people interested in those quirks though, each subsection links to a relevant spreadsheet which should show all of them. Please note however those spreadsheets may be out of date.
    Post edited by thefabricant on

MY tests:

feytouched 0 procs.

holy avenger 3 procs.

It is easier to write, "Ice knife procs weapon enchantments 4 times," then to write:

"Ice knife procs weapon enchantments 4 times except feytouched since it is a known bug that feytouched does not proc on daily powers and holy avenger since holy avenger has an ICD on the WE proc." If you want specific info like that though, I did list it all here. Those are specific mechanics unique to those 2 enchants which make them behave differently. Every enchant has some minor quirk and I don't really want to clutter my guide by listing all of the quirks.
    They were known you are saying but i dont see any post here in neverwinter official forums.
    edited October 2017

MY tests:

feytouched 0 procs.

holy avenger 3 procs.

"Ice knife procs weapon enchantments 4 times except feytouched since it is a known bug that feytouched does not proc on daily powers and holy avenger since holy avenger has an ICD on the WE proc." If you want specific info like that though, I did list it all here. Those are specific mechanics unique to those 2 enchants which make them behave differently. Every enchant has some minor quirk and I don't really want to clutter my guide by listing all of the quirks.
    They were known you are saying but i dont see any post here in neverwinter official forums.

It was always there.

I also posted about it on the weapon enchant rework thread ages ago in mod 11.5 and I am sure @rjc9000 mentions some of this stuff in his weapon enchantment guide.

MY tests:

feytouched 0 procs.

holy avenger 3 procs.

It was always there.

I also posted about it on the weapon enchant rework thread ages ago in mod 11.5 and I am sure @rjc9000 mentions some of this stuff in his weapon enchantment guide.
    Ok then. i have a question based on the spreadsheet :
    You are saying that ice knife proc weapon enchantments 4 times is a bug.
    Icy storm proc the enchantments 2 times is it normal or a bug?

MY tests:

feytouched 0 procs.

holy avenger 3 procs.

It was always there.

Ok then. i have a question based on the spreadsheet :
    You are saying that ice knife proc weapon enchantments 4 times is a bug.
    Icy storm proc the enchantments 2 times is it normal or a bug?
    Its a bug...

If an ability hits once, it should proc an enchant once.
This discussion has been closed.