test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any reason why CW has no defensive capabilities in any of the paragon trees ?

pjohnny1pjohnny1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
Besides the obvious answer of they have control . Pretty much all classes including other control classes have access to them . Just don't understand why cw got zero defensive capabilities besides a single encouter .

Comments

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    severe reaction is defensive and passive ... and on a paragon tree : D
    shield is defensive
    repel is defensive
    entangling force is defensive
    maelstrom of chaos is defensive..
    chaotic growth defensive (sorta) ,.
    aside from that tons of hit points life steal deflect .....
    the 50k hitpoint armor
    potions pots ..
    lots of movement ..lots of action point gain / stamina gain
    insignia bonuses with healing / movement
    but ya basically there are no stats a cw can do without at a min in moderation .. unlike some classes
  • pjohnny1pjohnny1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Yeah know some abilities can be use as a defensive measure but really meant something that reduced incoming damage . We have debuffs for incoming but no buffs to reduce damage . Just seems odd that we don't have any dr increase abilities . Name another class that has no abilities or trees with no dr buff or deflect buff ?
    shield does offer a huge amount of Dr tho on a separate layer even unstabalized .. you should have seen cw before they buffed shield lol
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    DODGE.....
    PROVIDES IMMUNITY TO DAMAGE.

Drops Mic.
    oh does dodge provide immunity or mitigation if you are hit with a dot ...?
    besides the Op was talking about paragon trees : D or passive mechanics i think
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User
    A wizard is a glass cannon. Does lots of damage, but shatters at the least little impact.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    @kalina311

I was talking about paragon or passive mechanics . I was waiting to see if anyone would could point out another class without a paragon or passive mechanic for defensive capabilities.

@greywynd

I guess my definition of a glass cannon is different than yours . CW do plenty of damage overtime and after building stacks up but wouldn't call them a nuke em class. GWF or even GF fit the description of bursty glass cannon nuke em class more than CW . Although you probably should remove the glass part since they are not squishy.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    > @kalina311 said:
    > oh does dodge provide immunity or mitigation if you are hit with a dot ...?
    > besides the Op was talking about paragon trees : D or passive mechanics i think

Just having a little fun. And commenting from a strictly PVE perspective as well.
    Post edited by niadan on
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    kalina311 said:

severe reaction is defensive and passive ... and on a paragon tree : D
    shield is defensive
    repel is defensive
    entangling force is defensive
    maelstrom of chaos is defensive..
    chaotic growth defensive (sorta) ,.
    aside from that tons of hit points life steal deflect .....
    the 50k hitpoint armor
    potions pots ..
    lots of movement ..lots of action point gain / stamina gain
    insignia bonuses with healing / movement
    but ya basically there are no stats a cw can do without at a min in moderation .. unlike some classes

Also, any armor that has a AC above 7 will boost a CW defensive capability. For instance, Executioner armor with 14 AC...more DR makes your CW less squishy.

Defensive feats for a CW: Toughness, Battlewise, Serve Reaction, Cold Infusion, Energy Recovery, Chaos Magic

Those aren't great but CW do have some feats that are a bit defensive.

If you are wondering why a CW does not have defensive feats it is because in the D&D, real D&D not the HAMSTER that is out today, a Wizard is a true glass cannon. They do really high damage (highest out of all classes) but had lowest HP and worst armor. Wizards were balanced this way as they were needed at higher levels for massively destructive spells such as Fireball, Disintegrate, Imprisonment, etc...

NW unfortunately cannot make the game like this or all DPS would be wizards due to the high damage they can do. Since this game is more off D&D 4e and 5e what we get is a limp version of a true D&D wizard that is still somewhat fragile when compared to other classes but its damage is not what a true wizard can produce.

So we get the CW in NW. a wannabe Wizard in the D&D realm. Yet our CW can wear heavy armor and still cast spells.

I rather have an old school true glass cannon D&D wizard, not the CW we get in NW.
  • jano#8078 jano Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    To have glass cannon capabilities the agro management system in this game would need an overhaul otherwise every wizard would be face down
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    jano#8078 said:

To have glass cannon capabilities the agro management system in this game would need an overhaul otherwise every wizard would be face down

I loved P&P D&D. Wizards were truly powerful and took time to learn how to play as a wizard since you have low health and armor. This game the wizard is a semi skilled class but is far from powerful when compared to all classes.
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    CC is a pretty good defensive capability.

On the other hand: It was said before, but a lot of class (and CW of course) is struggling with paragon tree feat choices, because most of them suck. And because they have very little to choose from, they are missing a lot, like defensive skills or diversity.
  • eliybeatseliybeats Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    HR archery has no defensive feats. The only one that might be considered is the hasty retreat movement bonus but you have to get hit so it's not even worth using.
    @theraxin

Every class in the game with exception of CW has either a heroic , paragon , or class specific Dr/Deflection option . I checked every class they all have either a damage resistance or deflection increase . Only thing you can control in this game is trash mobs .

@ellybeats

I can't believe someone actually mentioned HR , I would run around without my robe on to have the option to have aspect of the lone wolf . Lol a passive 20% deflection chance with a 2% increase for every enemy upto 10% . Besides the 3% deflection chance you can take in the heroic tree. Plus dex being stacked for HR will increase deflection chance passively . So a Archery HR has the option to sit at or over 30% deflect passively .
  • eliybeatseliybeats Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    @pjohnny1 archery's damage is so bad you can't afford to slot lone wolf or pathfinder's action. Besides deflection is statistically worse to have than defense anyway. So that 3% from the feats is useless. Same goes for each 0.5% from dex. Deflection is better used on the other builds.
    @ellybeats

Archery is so bad because of the way they designed the class , they miss out on all the party buffs by virtue of the design of that paragon . Defense statistically is better except when it is bypassed which it can be by debuffs and armor penetration. Deflect on the other hand can't be debuffed , armor penetration has no effect on it , and you can deflect cc . Defense is better in that it isn't a percent chance of reduction of damage its a straight percent damage reduction. This all besides the point of that as a HR playing the Archery paragon you have the OPTION to spec for deflect or slot a passive for deflect if you want to.
  • metalicum1metalicum1 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    it's very simple. Once upon a time, Crowd Control was a thing. CC is a form of defense.Those times are gone.
    However, the devs see no problem with NOT updating our class, since mod 6 I believe, thus we have a lot of CC hidden in our powers, in a game which, for the most part and where it matters, does not allow for any crowd control - bosses, elites monsters, giants.

There, mystery solved. We have defense, a lot of it, but it is literally turned off.

Yeah there are some defensive things here and there, but the reason why there are few is this. Crowd Control is gone, but Control Wizard still has a lot of it.
    Aris Meyde CW MoF Renegade

[PS4] Alliance - House Stargaryen