test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thinking about returning. Any better yet?

tsarktsark Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Joined the game during launch and played religiously. The combat was beautiful, adventures and dungeoning was awesome, but was completely turned off after a year or so by the cash grabby tactics, the buy your mountain of buffs and way to endgame which had a direct correlation to one shotting in PvP/Glitches abusing ETC. Rejoined almost a year ago only to see that it's the same but with more grind and quit that same day. Also, as a disclaimer, I believe/know the game is p2w, so if you're going to make a rant about it not being p2w then you might as well be preaching to the deaf.

I just got an email to come back and try the new game-- Wanna know if this expac bring anything better or am i just gonna waste my time picking it up again?
Tagged:

Comments

• pyrosorcererpyrosorcerer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 137 Arc User
    Don't bother, my advice as well
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Module 6 was the low point of the game for most people. Since then, there has been steady improvement but not without some steps backward.

You're going to find some negative sentiment on the forum at the moment because some planned changes are unpopular at least with some active forum active forum participants. My personal opinion is that the changes are for the good of the game. For example, bonding runestones have been the one-meta-to-rule-them-all for a long time. They're too powerful compared to the alternative of using an augment, and represented too much of a character's total power. That should have been adjusted long ago. Since it wasn't, many players invested in bondings. They're rightly upset that the investment is losing value, yet not bringing them inline would have maintained the imbalance even longer.

You mentioned PVP. For the first time in a very long time, serious attention is being paid to PVP. Mod 12b will bring some balance improvements. Hopefully, we'll see a continued focus on that game mode in coming modules as well.

The first year of Neverwinter was a great time for me, too. My feeling is that the game is on a good path now, regaining some of the charm of its beginnings while benefiting from far more content than at launch. The design team is engaged with the player base like I haven't seen before. Not every decision they make will be popular, but plenty of good things have happened lately. I suggest you hop in for a while and check out some of the newer content. Even if I can't change your opinion about whether or not Neverwinter is P2W, you certainly don't need to open your wallet to check out the PVE content that's been developed while you've been away.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Don't bother I have all rank 12''s and I can't kill anything in pvp... cash grab complete...
    https://youtu.be/sY864EzU7Vs
    Post edited by demonmonger on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    The problem for me these days is the sheer number of campaigns. You used to be able to spend a couple of months getting through them, then move on to properly earning AD, gearing up and getting on with running dungeons.

We now have so many campaigns that new L70's can't do them simultaneously and if you can't play all day you are looking at 6 months to complete them all - by which time you have another two to worry about.

This is made worse by the new trend (since mod 10) that campaigns take at least 2 months to complete and have time consuming aspects such as farming voninblod, fishing or running hunts.

New, helpful changes which are due (removing the need for a 2nd ench to rank one up, unlocking dungeons on all alts once 1 character has finished the campaign) are offset by the reduction in effectiveness of bonding stones.

The power drop on all characters increases the necessity of investment across all aspects of your character. In other words, to compensate for the reduced effectiveness of 3 runestones you'll have to get 19 enchantments to rank 14 and at least 3 companions to Legendary.

I have logged more 'game hours' than any other person I know and maybe that's a bad thing for feeling ok with the game. It could be colouring my perception. But these days the game feels like work and the fun element has gone from around 80% of my time to about 5%.

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • guille23mxguille23mx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I dont recomend it as well...sorry... it has become so boring since mod 12 with a bad implemented hunt withing RNG and mod 12B is gonna nerf Bondings...its Incredible & Cash Grab
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    tsark said:

I just got an email to come back and try the new game-- Wanna know if this expac bring anything better or am i just gonna waste my time picking it up again?

If you liked the game before - do comeback, play your main character (if you have more than one) and see if you still like the combat dynamics, animations, etc.

Don't make any big changes to your character(s) or spend ANY $$ in the game until the next mod release - 12b - comes out (sometime in October). Once it does - reassess how the changes affect your play style and enjoyment of the game, and decide whether to get back into the game full bore or to leave again.
  • lemartes99lemartes99 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I have just returned a month ago. I last played at the beginning of Icewind Dale.

While there is a lot of catch-up I have to do - I am having a lot of fun. I find this game superior to warcraft and not sure why it isn't more popular.

There is also a VIP system now which for 10$ gives you 30 keys. Much cheaper to get keys now. Very good system.

I would definitely give it another try. If you enjoyed it the first time you played you will enjoy it now.
  • sleeplessd#5929 sleeplessd Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Just make sure to bring your wallet and you can have a great time. Current price to get your R12s up to R14 is about $1600. Or you can grind out 50 mil AD, whatever your preference. 12B has a lot of other fun changes too, like random queues and new ways to refine your artifacts. But don't take my word for it - Look through the forums and you can find all the seeded dev comments talking about how great things will be.
  • miyanaamiyanaa Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User
    I agree with most people in here - dont bother.
    I did that mistake a few times, left the game and decided to come back after few months..not worth it. Im a PvP player but I also do a lot of PvE when needed (used to grind dungeons for +10hrs daily back when I didnt work lol), but if you dont have 10hrs daily to grind, you are pretty much forced to P2W everything.
    Unless you can have fun by never being BiS :P
    PvP DC ~ Meep Neox
    YouTube
  • aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    miyanaa said:

Unless you can have fun by never being BiS :P

The horror!....
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Sad to see mostly pessimistic views on the current game.

There is plenty of relatively fun content as long as you aren't playing to win or expect to ever get to BiS. I gave up ever catching up with all the campaigns [although I have nearly got there!] and I will never have higher than rank 10 enchants. It isn't going to happen.

Luckily I have a real life to live and spending a million hours grinding Neverwinter to get an extra few hundred IL isnt an option. I am happy sitting at 12.2k IL and maybe getting to 12.5k IL one day. So yes return, theres loads of fun IF you enjoy the content and are not expecting to "win" or "finish" the game.

Just make sure to bring your wallet and you can have a great time. Current price to get your R12s up to R14 is about $1600. Or you can grind out 50 mil AD, whatever your preference. 12B has a lot of other fun changes too, like random queues and new ways to refine your artifacts. But don't take my word for it - Look through the forums and you can find all the seeded dev comments talking about how great things will be.

What this guy said!
    Forget to add this $1600 will per character... so if you have 3 like me :wink: ... well you do the math
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Well i have been testing 12b and it seems to me that it will hurt end gamers but help all other gamers. With the vast majority of players not being end gamers ... 15 k il on live, this will make life easier . it is easy to make a rank 11 enchantment in 12b. It is hard to make a rank 14. as rank 11 is good enough to play any content this could end up making the average players happy

EDIT : Oh and mod 12 had a massive iritation that went completely in the wrong way. You only get to play the mod content 1 time a week then you have to waste around for 6 day grinding hunts
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• senticonsenticon Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Wanna chime in. I have to say first that I'm not a big fan of MMO in general but have tried several MMORPGs over the years. NWO I liked the most of all, maybe because it's connected to D&D which I like a lot and reminds me sometimes of Neverwinter Nights which is one of my favorite RPGs of all times.

Have been thinking on returning too, but things I have main gripe with which completely turn me away are:
    - Guilds. I'm the kind of player who plays actively over the course of month or so and then I might take a break for about 3 months or even whole year. No guild tolerates this, and it's perfectly understandable, but playing solo without guild is pretty hard. Guild bonuses are very useful. Some high level campaign zones are pretty much impossible to do for me without these boons, but with them it's a fair and fun challenge. While you in the guild, it almost like slavery, you have to run influence missions daily for guild to grow, not to fall apart and to be kept in alliance, it's also understandable, but it drains lots of fun when it becomes like part time job and you have to do it instead of content you really wanna do. Than again, DF events are very important for gearing up. Best gear at specific period of progression are gained from DF, plus doing dungeons is much easier with guildies than with randoms, and you will be stuck in gearing up your character if you won't be following those steps. It all makes guilds pretty mandatory thing if you want better progression, but it takes enormous amounts of time and dedication, which renders full experience not so fun in the end.
    - Loadouts. Most classes, especially casters, usually have different requirement for different situations, like during quests where you have to clear out ordinary mobs, it's most convenient to have many AoE skills. In boss battles you need mostly single-target. In some dungeons you have to switch between defensive and offensive skills very often. There is a system where you can literally have several full builds, but it's clunky, as you have to be near campfire to switch. If there would be system where you can switch only skill loadout quickly without going into character screen every time, scrolling around to in search for it would be very neat. I mean system does already allow you to do this, but it's confusing that game doesn't allow you to do it quicker and easier.
    - Race bonuses. It's pretty obvious that some races give you very big advantages and some have pretty much useless bonuses. So if you wanna run high level content and not letting your guild or party down, you have to pick specific races with specific class to be most effective. I'm talking about, f.e. how human gives +2 to ability score, while most other races give only attribute boosts which are pretty easy to get with gear, but you can't get ability scores anywhere and maxing out specific feat makes a world of difference. Better balance between race traits would be more welcome so you can choose to roleplay without hurting your character performance.

I mostly like how game handles F2P model, it's rather fair and not so punishing IMO, well, definitely less punishing than pretty much every other MMOs in same category. Content is fun, campaigns are fun, visuals are great. Combat is one of the best I've seen, class/race selections is very good I don't mind time gates either. But these points above really hurting gameplay experience and fun for me to the point of not wanting to return to this game...
  • safespacecadet#3341 safespacecadet Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Neverwinter still has the potential to be the best pve mmorpg on the market. However, I do not think this will ever happen without introducing far more tabletop D&D mechanics into the game. Including mobs with strengths and weaknesses and the use of the class-specific non-combat skills on adventures and in skirmishes and dungeons.

Neverwinter also has the potential to be the best pvp mmorpg on the market. However, I do not think this will ever happen without queuing by approximate Item Level. There also needs to be a PVP campaign where players choose sides in a conflict. Icewind Dale just barely scratched the surface of what is possible. Also, Icewind Dale is just Domination on a zone map. (Not to mention that you can switch factions without penalty or consequence in IWD.*) The PVP campaign could have different scenarios with goals that must be accomplished by one or both sides in order to win the match. Slaughtering the other team (or least not the entire team) doesn't always need to be necessary to win in a pvp game.

*Also, being forced to switch sides sometimes even though I hate the Arcane Brotherhood is lame.
  • eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    I've only been back for about 2 months after a year off (when they removed wards from trade-bar store).
    The grind is as strong as ever (stronger?) but it's way easier to earn AD. I earn the daily cap in 2 dungeon runs per day.
    mod 12b should make it easier getting up the ladder, but it also made the ladder substantially longer.

You will be continually poked in the eye with the attempts to get you to spend money...but if you persist long enough, that eye goes blind...
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    OP is obvious a troll post, so i dont answer this.

• marv700#9957 marv700 Member Posts: 135 Arc User

Module 6 was the low point of the game for most people. Since then, there has been steady improvement but not without some steps backward.

Therein lies the problem. Everybody hated the concept of black ice and empowering armor. It turned off a lot of players. Did they learn from their mistakes? No, in comes vonimblood which I found even worse than black ice.

Then you have what they did for Mod 6. Did they learn from it? Apparently not. 12b is going to be much the same. I think a lot of content will become either not doable or not worth doing due to the new difficulty (and lack of rewards).

12b to me, looks like another variant of Mod 6. They are just making existing content harder by across the board nerfs and making folks spend more to get back to close to where they were before.

So, clearly they didn't learn from their mistakes and I suspect they will lose a boatload of players after 12b hits. Folks in my guild have already started bailing. It will just get worse when folks get hammered on content that used to be fun.