test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Random Queues

Comments

• trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    @micky1p00 if you want to continue be critical of various forms of abuse which were partially expanded upon within the parenthesis in no particular order including "etc." then go for it. Abusers include the acts or lack of that often enough happen in queued content (not limited to purposely underperforming, stalling). Repeatedly queuing the easiest can be considered abuse depending on the beholder and if not considered abusing it is for the most part the first step seeing as the easier content is ran more often than longer content and is often enough where various abuse happens.

"Loaded questions" are usually not answered from this end, something about the attempt to dictate responses doesn't appeal, not to mention even when the questions are not answered, the asker often answers it themselves so it's easier to let them do that.

Again:

1.) Will not share the AD gain systems players from this end utilize, doing so will devalue those efforts.

There's really nothing more to state about it.

One of the "downsides" (supposed less RAD) comes from heavily relying on queues for RAD/AD. Those that don't "solely" rely on queues are pretty much in better shape in that regard and don't have to "tackle" it head on, their other sources of AD will more than compensate.
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen
  • eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    grrouper said:

With randumb Q it kinda looks like a GF or OP will be forced to Tank rather than buff same can go for a DC getting forced to play healer . Maybe next the devs need to look at changing are paragon paths so we only have only one build that way we can play the game just as they want/intend/force us to.

Hadn't really considered this angle. Does this mean the devs have made an official decision on CW being a DPS class?
  • eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    -deleted- found it asked and answered earlier
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Regarding how the "random" queue drives players to where they are most needed...

How is this prioritised?

I'm assuming this has been given serious consideration...

Take, for instance, a situation where Bob has been queuing in Malabogs Castle for twenty minutes. Terry, Geoff and Lucy have group queued for EToS and been waiting five minutes... all are DPS characters. Where is my random queuing 12k DC "most needed" in this situation?

Also, imagine if you can a scenario where five random queuers end up in FBI and Eric the Cleric says, "Bollox to that..." and quits. (You never know... it might happen...)
    Does that group become the new "most needed" or would I end up with Bob? Or Terry and Lucy and co?
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User

Regarding how the "random" queue drives players to where they are most needed...

How is this prioritised?

Take, for instance, a situation where Bob has been queuing in Malabogs Castle for twenty minutes. Terry, Geoff and Lucy have group queued for EToS and been waiting five minutes... all are DPS characters. Where is my random queuing 12k DC "most needed" in this situation?

Also, imagine if you can a scenario where five random queuers end up in FBI and Eric the Cleric says, "Bollox to that..." and quits. (You never know... it might happen...)
    Does that group become the new "most needed" or would I end up with Bob? Or Terry and Lucy and co?

I don't know how Cryptic will program that but if I am the programmer, it will be neither until who else and how many will show up next because 1 DC cannot complete either queue.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • draconislupusdraconislupus Member Posts: 205 Arc User

How is this prioritised?

Odds are Eric the Cleric will simply decline the queue when it pops up and he sees FBI. He'll decline until he gets what he wants.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2017
    micky1p00 said:

Costs set by Cryptic, you mostly have the choice of paying in full, or opting out of those systems altogether.

I did address this, in my post, but that entire block of text was mostly a what if for those speculating their earnings would drop significantly. We actually don't think they will. In fact, we're fairly confident that on average earnings will probably be going up.

Does this mean that you can do random queues as a group of 3 for regular dungeons and 5 for epic dungeons?

That's correct, this has always been the case. Some have pointed out that this is counter to design goal of the queues firing faster, and on some level a full group isn't going to make the queue faster for anyone else, but they're still firing a queue. We don't want to stop people from queuing with a full group of friends, and although we know plenty of people will form groups ahead of time, we think there will still be plenty of singles and partial groups queuing.

Probably not, as the queue would be able to sort the EToS players together and potentially sort the random players into random dungeons.

Though it would still depend on party compositions. If the manual EToS queue was full of DPS and not enough supports, the supports would be shunted over to fill groups for them.

I'm still side-eyeing the idea that support players are basically expected to be glorified babysitters who exist for purposes of ensuring that mediocre DPS players can get into anything they want.

Your analysis of what would happen if a lot of players were manually queuing for EToS is close. You could basically say that, for those queuing as solo or a partial group, your chances of getting a queue that players popularly queue for outside the random queue system (which will likely be those queues that are currently popular) is higher than getting something people rarely queue for.

However, how much higher will depend on how many players are in the random queue vs. how many people are manually queuing for each given queue. It's unlikely that the breakdown of tanks-healers-DPS in random queue vs manual queue will be different enough that you'll see huge differences in likelihood of getting certain queues by role.

In regards to the "idea that support players are expected to be glorified babysitters," this isn't the goal nor do we believe this will be the execution of the random queue system. Selection isn't based on role in any way other than the group that is formed will meet the 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 DPS requirement. If you are a devoted cleric with a guardian fighter friend and you want to do Valindra, and there are no DPS manually queued for that, you will get 3 DPS who are queued for a random epic dungeon. Just as a DPS manually queued for Valindra would eventually get a tank and a healer.

The only part of the system that really does anything about encouraging certain roles to play is the role bonus, which will most often be for healers or tanks, giving them a bit of bonus AD when they queue for a random category that has a deficit of that role.
    micky1p00 said:

Earlier you called it a nerf referring to DCs. Could you at least clarify whether that's the intent or if it's more of a change to powers stacking? Like...is it a nerf to my own powers that you're planning, or a nerf to synergy? Having an idea of this would make a huge difference. A nerf to my synergy means I can carry on as usual, aside from perhaps adjusting the powers I choose, but a nerf to my powers is very different.

I was referring to nerfing the 2 DC meta, I apologize for the lack of clarity. We don't have any intent to nerf DC generally. I spoke about how in the long run we'd like to make damage dealers focus more on dealing damage, and healers more on healing and generally everyone less on buffing and rebuffing, so depending on your feelings, those adjustments could be seen as a nerf, but those are longer term goals.

The more near term goal of ensuring that players don't want to bring 2 DCs to a 5 man (at least in the sense that it wouldn't actually be faster than bringing another class) won't be directed at making devoted cleric generally worse in any way. There's plenty of speculation that whatever adjustments are made will make one of the paragon paths "unplayable," but obviously, this is something we'll try to avoid when making adjustments.

How is this prioritised?

I talked a little bit about the algorithm in response to the question about "will I be more likely to get a popular queue" above. The algorithm for matching is largely unchanged with the addition of random queues, it's just that someone in a random queue is considered across multiple individual queues.

Basically, the oldest match group (even if it's just a single player) in any given queue gets priority. The queue system looks at everyone in every eligible queue every frame and attempts to make the best match giving the oldest groups priority. There's all sorts of hypothetical what if scenarios one can dream up where a partial group never gets matched, but we looked at the volume of people queuing and the size of the match groups they queued in and we're confident this sort of scenario won't arise.

It is true that in some cases you may get a match slightly slower in a group than as an individual. You might be queued as a duo of DPS, and be the oldest DPS in the queue, and a 4 person group queues only missing a single DPS, a solo DPS newer than you might get that spot before the queue system finds a tank, healer and 3rd DPS for you. I do want to emphasize though, with the volume of players queueing, you should be plenty fine queuing with any eligible configuration.
    eldeskal said:

Come think of it, why not let RQ have [Willing to Teach] [Wanting to Learn] [Speed run] [Normal run] buttons...where maybe the first two sort by language, and willing-to-teach has higher rewards?

There are definitely improvements that can be made to the random queue feature in the future. A mentoring queue that matches experienced players with those who are flagg
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    How are you forced to play with so called "noobs" if you can random que with a full party? Am I missing something here?
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    To be clear, RQ players should not be considered "noobs" as they will have completed all campaigns and be above 11k. IN fact they'll most likely all be above 12k.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • fogcrowfogcrow Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    @asterdahl
    So you want to move the game toward buffs and defbuffs being less important, and healing and dealing damage more...imho that is a very bad idea, and here are the reasons why I think so:

The most impactful one on queue culture(or run forming and doing culture), so the thing you claim you´re trying to improve, is: a players ability to heal and/or deal damage scales with what he has(gear, enchantments, companions, insignias, boons...) while the vast majoritiy of buffs and debuffs only require having the right powers at rank 4, and some recovery to keep them up. So the current system allows new or otherwise low geared players(who know how, and are willing to) a meaningful contribution to the succsess chance, speed and quality of a run. The system you seem to be aiming for would greatly reduce, or remove that ability(depending o how far you go), makeing the envoirement a lot more elitist/toxic.

sigh...out of time...will continue later xD
  • usernamefatigueusernamefatigue Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    niadan said:

How are you forced to play with so called "noobs" if you can random que with a full party? Am I missing something here?

If you q with a full party, and get msp or fbi for example, maybe that's fine with your party. But you have to q public to do random qs, so if one of your team dcs (and it can take people more than 5 minutes to restart/log in) or has to leave, you won't be able to invite another friend, but rather they'll be replaced by anyone in random q, and with the new account-wide unlocks, that makes it even better, because it could be a barely geared, way underbooned alt using someone's extra r12s.

My alts have no business being in there. I have them good enough to do Shar and Dread Ring every week, but now I could just bring them in to be carried. Weee.

• niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    > @armadeonx said:
    > To be clear, RQ players should not be considered "noobs" as they will have completed all campaigns and be above 11k. IN fact they'll most likely all be above 12k.

My reference to "noobs" (I dislike the term) was sarcasm toward the post before mine.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I forget, are FBI and mSP account-wide unlocks? I thought FBI and mSP needed to be unlocked in each character's campaign?
  • usernamefatigueusernamefatigue Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    "All dungeons and trials that are unlocked via campaigns are now account unlocks. This affects the following queues:
    Demogorgon (Master)
    Fangbreaker Island
    Assault on Svardborg
    Assault on Svardborg (Master)
    Spellplague Caverns (Master)
    Tomb of the Nine Gods"
This discussion has been closed.