What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Random Queues

Comments

• Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    > @defiantone99 said:
    > Heck, that is all you need, nobody needs DPS classes. A DPS DC and a DPS GF are all you need for any and and all content. Just remove DPS classes and the limits.

Havent seen a 2 man tong yet but for all the other content 2 of any class are enough... stop spreading HAMSTER
  • Options
    > @defiantone99 said:
    > > @defiantone99 said:
    >
    > > Heck, that is all you need, nobody needs DPS classes. A DPS DC and a DPS GF are all you need for any and and all content. Just remove DPS classes and the limits.
    >
    >
    >
    > Havent seen a 2 man tong yet but for all the other content 2 of any class are enough... stop spreading HAMSTER
    >
    > You are the only hamster here, mean girl.

Funny how u complain about Neverwinter Nerferama and then all your hundrets of post are about nerfing stuff.... hypocrite?
  • Options
    Sry if i hurt your safe space defi ;)
    But maybe u shoulnt start discussions if you cant handle different opinions
  • Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    @asterdahl

Have a look at this: https://www.arcgames.com/de/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9863283-developer-blog:-the-new-queues

It is the introduction of a "revised queue system" from spring 2016 (queue group, private queues, ...). Let me quote something from that dev blog:

"As well as these new features, the revised queue system has a whole bunch of under-the-hood improvements that should make matchmaking, leaving an instance, wait times, and many other things better."

As far as I remember the changes back then had a very positive (!!!) feedback from the community. So why change it? If your answer is something like "we could not reach the stated goals of improving matchmaking, leaving an instance, wait times, so we have to try something new" then let me ask you a question: if the changes back then, which you were very obviously convinced would do the trick, did not lead to the desired goal what makes you think that your conviction will prove right this time? Especially against the heavy resistance of the community?
  • Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User

Especially against the heavy resistance of the community?

It's not resistance as much as we are telling them that requiring MSP and FBI will make the epic RQ unusable

They are apparently going to be stubborn on this point, rolling out something that once again inflames the user base and helps to confirm the commonly held theory that Cryptic doesn't understand how the game works

After they see for themselves that epic RQ with MSP and FBI is a ghost town they will probably fix it, though the damage will already be done
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    If the amount of feedback they've seen on here isn't enough to make them change their position on FBI and MSPC because a few Seals of the Brave matter more than everything we've said, then good luck to them.

There has been no contending the argument that it will be a pain in the rear for many players, that seems to now be a moot point.
    Arguments that "You will earn more AD in a faster time" are somewhat insulting because that does not accept the fundamental fact that the end game dungeons take a hell of a lot longer than T1 and T2. Especially when in a PUG.

Opening the door on Random Queues to any alt on 11k will lead straight back to the position the game was in before the IL changes, with people shoehorning any piece of HAMSTER onto their character as long it ups the IL, regardless of what it does to the quality of the build. But hey... it'll get more people into FBI, so who cares if the fail rate skyrockets because of poor character builds?

I would be interested to hear how often the queue system for Epic Dungeons is completely empty, with no one queuing for anything at all... because THAT is how often someone joining a "random queue" will get "random" placement. It would be better named "Rigged Tombola Queue"

But one more time... sub 11k Tanks and Heals will shorten the queue length on T1 and T2, simply by virtue of not being able to queue for FBI & up. Leaving only those people desperate to run the damntwo top tiered dungeons in the random queue waiting for an 11k DC or OP or GF to show up.

11k DPS will have a better chance to avoid FBI and MSPC, but unless those 11K tank and heals are ferried straight to those dungeons the goal of anything firing quicker won't happen. T1-2 will fire as now (averages out), and so will FBI and MSPC. Making the need for having them in that queue redundant. IN fact making the whole random queue redundant.

The goal of making ALL dungeons fire quicker is an abstract impossiblity, what you give to one queue (by way of support assets) you HAVE to take from another. (The DC who was going to complete the team for ETOS, now goes to GWD or ELOL or... FBI, speeding the new queue up but slowing the fire rate of the ETOS queue)

As I might have mentioned before, this entire structure serves to make two queues fire faster... the two no one seems to want to queue for... cos if they did it wouldn't be a problem.

Rather than working out ways to force players into those dungeons, how about working together to figure out some way to make players WANT to do them?

• Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User

I loved the game, my characters and the community it gave a home to. It's sad to see so many people throwing in the towel after weathering so much to stay in the game.

I'm not as depressed over these changes as you and your friends, but as a DC main, the other thing @asterdahl threw out about "doing something" about the 2 DCs in a party concept... If that goes the same way as this "discussion" and they fail to hear it when hundreds of players try to make them understand what support class means, I guess I'll have to light my pitchfork on fire too lol

12b doesn't seem to have much anything in it designed to make players happy... well, maybe the 16-17k pvp players... I just hope they can quickly get things back on track after it rolls out to boos, flames and ragequits and learn a lesson from this
  • Options
    xx0dessaxxxx0dessaxx Member Posts: 44 Arc User

I loved the game, my characters and the community it gave a home to. It's sad to see so many people throwing in the towel after weathering so much to stay in the game.

I'm not as depressed over these changes as you and your friends, but as a DC main, the other thing @asterdahl threw out about "doing something" about the 2 DCs in a party concept... If that goes the same way as this "discussion" and they fail to hear it when hundreds of players try to make them understand what support class means, I guess I'll have to light my pitchfork on fire too lol

12b doesn't seem to have much anything in it designed to make players happy... well, maybe the 16-17k pvp players... I just hope they can quickly get things back on track after it rolls out to boos, flames and ragequits and learn a lesson from this
    I tried to take my DC through the new area. She's 14k and absolutely gets wrecked. I gave up last week and today again. With the dwindling number of players in my group I basically had to choose a support class to get help with. People don't all play at the same time and to literally have to wait to get through campaign content is ridiculous. I was pure heals for a long while and happy. The harder enemies were what made me switch up to get enough damage to get through it... and I'm still trying to tweak that build. Rather... was. Classic builds are becoming obsolete with the grind time involved and enemy count to get through.
  • Options
    tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    The devs dont give a f... about their game, what new about that?
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    Chances are I will never randomly queue without a full party that can do all the dungeons in the queue, there is no point.

The fact that FBI and mSP are in the Random Queue means that I cannot randomly queue with the people I routinely run dungeons with, so that means I will never Randomly Queue for Epic Dungeons and I have no reason to randomly queue for the 3 man content when they only take marginally less time (ie the time taken is more about the running between mobs than the fighting) and over all offer lower rewards aside from the Random Queue bonus for the people I am running with.

In fact the likely result is that I will run the SH Cleric 2 dailies plus CN and still hit AD and Seal cap daily anyway. The only difference from what I am doing now is the fact CN will have to go on the list. The whole train will take under an hour.

As it is the only content my main needs is ToNG and the up coming skirmish for the Seals of the Brave.

There is no reason for me to run mSP, FBI or mSVA.

At least putting mSP/FBI/ToNG in the same random queue and giving Seals of the Brave for all of them would give me a reason to run mSP and FBI again.

If the goal is to make dungeons more used and accessible then the Random Queue is not going to work as it has been presented.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    draconislupusdraconislupus Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    asterdahl said:

Hey everyone! Thank you all for your patience the last few days, I have not had a chance to respond to the thread—but I have been keeping an eye on it. Below I've included replies to a few questions that have come up, I will be catching up with more questions as time permits.

For the meatiest part of this post—see my final response, which outlines some improvements to rewards for Spellplague Caverns (Master) which I know many of you have been hoping for.

dupeks said:

Here is my specific question: why did you combine all epic dungeons in one random queue instead of breaking out T1, T2, and T3.

The simple answer is—that's far too many random queues. The queue system has so many affordances (ways you can interact with it) as it is, that we'd like to keep it simple. Beyond just wanting to keep the system easy to understand—there's only so much rough AD daily bonuses per day from random queues we can give out that the economy can support. We're already cutting that pie into slices as small as we feel comfortable cutting them. If they get small enough there's little motivation to run them. (Many of you are already indicating you won't feel motivated to run some of them, and of course we'll be watching the data and making adjustments.)

On top of simplicity and the amount of daily bonus rewards the economy can absorb, if we break up the random queues into something that granular, we're also talking about breaking up the pools of players. If there's tier 1, 2 and 3, you might have a lot of end game players in 3, a lot of fresh 70s in 1 and very few players in 2. We'd like to divide our queued players as little as possible so things can pop nice and quick.

This extends to also respecting your play time and not overloading people with even more dailies. If we want people to feel motivated to do all of the daily random queues and there are 10 of them, and because we divided up the pool of players looking to do queued content into even more categories—some of those queues can take a while to pop—the daily commitment for random queues is going to be way too high. When there are already lots of other dailies in Neverwinter we'd like to not exacerbate that problem.

We hear a lot of you saying you're not going to be able to do the random epic dungeon right away because you're not at 11k yet. I've already mentioned getting 11k is going to be easier than ever, and our data is showing a lot of you already have a character at 11k, so we're not overly concerned about this. Gaining access to that random queue will be something to aspire to for a short while, and we think overall it won't be that time consuming for most people to get there when it goes live.
    pitshade said:

They aren't going to make tiers because that is going to allow people to continue skipping MSP and other content that isn't rewarding

One thing I would like to take a moment to announce is that we're making the following adjustments to rewards in Fangbreaker and Spellplague Caverns (Master) for Module 12B. These are changes that we've been looking into making based on feedback, and now that you may randomly end up in Spellplague as part of Random: Epic Dungeon, we want to make sure you don't feel like you landed a dud.

Here are the pertinent patch notes that you should be seeing on preview in the not too distant future:
    • A piece of elven equipment is now guaranteed from both chests in Fangbreaker Island.
    • A piece of elven equipment is now guaranteed from both chests in Spellplague Caverns (Master).
    • Both chests in Spellplague Caverns (Master) now have a chance of granting an Ostorian ring.
    • The final boss in Spellplague Caverns (Master) now drops a Wicked Enchantment, Rank 8; as opposed to a chance of either a Rank 5, 6 or 7. (The chance of dropping a wicked enchantment has not been reduced.)
    @asterdahl I'm not sure if you have seen my post on page 19 about "Challenge Rated" (Tiered) Dungeons. If you have I'd like to make an adjustment to a couple things and point something out about it.

1. I want to adjust my idea for rewards. Instead of guaranteeing any level of gear I think adjust the percentage chance of getting different levels of gear would be better. Let's say the percentages look like this:

Nothing: 10%
    +1: 54%
    +2: 20%
    +3: 10%
    +4: 5%
    +5: 0.9%
    Artifact: 0.1%

So for CR 1 have the current percentages.

For CR 2 chance to:
    None: 10%
    +1: 34%
    +2: 40%
    +3: 10%
    +4: 5%

For CR 3 chance to:
    +1: 15%
    +2: 27%
    +3: 40%
    +4: 7%

For CR 4 change to:
    +1: 0.9%
    +2: 9%
    +3: 22%
    +4: 63%
    +5: 2%

This way there is always a chance that you will get nothing or HAMPSTER. And keep in mind these are just numbers I pulled out of thin air for an example.

2. I want to change the CRings that I listed for the dungeons. Instead of how I have it starting at CR 1 for each base level of dungeons I want to go to this:

All 7,500 - 8,500 IL dungeons would be CR 1.
    All 8,500 - 9,500 IL dungeons would be CR 2. And yes change current tier two dungeons from 8,400 IL to 8,500 IL. So they would start with CR 2 and not have a CR 1.
    All 9,500 - 10,500 IL dungeons would be CR 3. Could go to 11,000 IL or drop the current tier three dungeons requirements to 10,500 IL for simplicity.
    All 10,500 - 11,500 IL dungeons would be CR 4. Currently I have it 10,500 IL and up but I think that this will allow for future dungeons better.

Plus since only drop chances are being changed new CRings can be created as new harder content is introduced and harder content is dropped from the Hero's Accord status. (Edit) And would allow for creating epic version of existing and new leveling dungeons super easy. This would also allow for creation of lower versions of dungeons like FBI, but the rewards control would whether or not campaign items would drop. So imagine a 7,500 IL version of FBI that would not drop any campaign specific items.

I want to point out that 75% of the coding logic is already in the game in the form of the Demonic Heroic Encounters. What would Challenge Rated material need and what does Demonic Heroic Encounters already do and not do?
    2. Count number of players: Does.
    3. Target same location used to display IL on Character Sheet: Does not.
    4. Add values from targeted locations and divide by the number of player: Does not.
    5. Change monster stats, actions, and/or types based on increased figured value: Does.
    6. Change monster stats, actions, and/or types based on deceased figured value: Probably does not.
    7. Change reward chances based on increased figured value: Probably does. (Would need changed if does.)
    8. Change reward chances based on decreasing figured value: Probably does not.
    9. Lock reward chances based lowest figured value: Shouldn't.
    10. Protect reward chances against disconnects and kicks: Does not.
    I realize that there are more does not than does there but the things that they do is the vast majority of the logic needed.

I would also like to reinforce something from my post. I think that the campaign completion needs to be removed from the epic dungeons. I have over thirty years of pen and paper experience with D&D and 90% of that time has been in the Forgotten Realms. I have several hundred Forgotten Realms novels, and have read nearly all of them, and many rule books from 1e through 3.5e, including most of the rule books based in the Forgotten Realms. I have been to Gencon every year since it moved to Indianapolis and have volunteered for True Dungeon for thirteen years. I've probably coached some of you Cryptic guys and girls. Neverwinter is the first and only MMO that I can say I like playing. And the only bad experience that I have had is running the dungeons while I was leveling my first character. The dungeons themselves were great it was the experience that I hated. Having seventieth level players running just to get their AD ruined the experience because all they did was run to the end as fast as possible leaving us slower players to deal with the monsters. This system would make that even worse. And that is why I suggested to give seventieth level players the random queue AD for the regular dungeons on their second epic dungeon. Our doubling the first run AD but take away any AD for running regular dungeons.

Absolutely, beyond any shadow of a doubt, keep the campaign completion on trials. Not only does this make them a boon to those that have completed them it helps set them already from the rest of the content. This gives a past on the back to those players that have ground out the mods but still need to get their IL up high enough to do the Hero's Accord. The only problem, and this is a problem even in your cutter form, is what happens when you add a new trial in a future mod? Do the players that have been getting AD from these suddenly lose that AD until they compete the new mod? Talk about a lot of hate mail in your future. And that is another good reason to really think alt the campaign completion being on to many things.

All in all I think this is the best way to help leveling players and make the experience of the pre-seventieth level players as enjoyable as possible. And it makes all of the epic dungeons viable to all IL players above 7,500 IL. And probably most important it would cut down on the five minute epic dungeon runs because the dungeon would become to tough to do that with.

P. S. I can see a lot of people declining random queues until they get what they want. (When the acceptance message pops up.) Which by the way will make queue times longer not shorter.

Latest edit to change font color since I didn't know meaning for colors.
    Post edited by draconislupus on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    asterdahl said:

@asterdahl I like these changes, but can we please get the loot need or greed screen removed from the center of our screen? Now that all junk items will be useful for generic RP, this loot window is going to be even more of a hassle. In a random party, it will be madness. Just being able to move it to one side of the screen would be amazing.

There aren't going to be any changes to this for Module 12B, but the way the lotting window works drives me bananas as well, particularly as I play mostly on PlayStation 4 in my free time. I'll definitely pass this feedback along to the UI team.

If I may make another suggestion on this. Pass along to make it all that if you pass the results do not show on your screen.
    Post edited by draconislupus on
  • Options

asterdahl said:

@asterdahl I like these changes, but can we please get the loot need or greed screen removed from the center of our screen? Now that all junk items will be useful for generic RP, this loot window is going to be even more of a hassle. In a random party, it will be madness. Just being able to move it to one side of the screen would be amazing.

There aren't going to be any changes to this for Module 12B, but the way the lotting window works drives me bananas as well, particularly as I play mostly on PlayStation 4 in my free time. I'll definitely pass this feedback along to the UI team.

If I may make another suggestion on this. Pass along to make it all that if you pass the results do not show on your screen.
    Well, that is the really weird part, on PC you can move the result window to the side in the Rearrange HUD, you just can't move the initial window when the item is picked up. It is right in the center of the screen.
    I'm on Xbox and console has no control over either one and the results are the worse off the two. The vote message is at the top but the results are right in the middle. And my thinking is if you passed on the item do you really care who got it?
  • Options
    zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    The Mod12b Random Queue system is the worst idea I've ever heard from NW Dev(s).

This feature will cause many new players to quit prematurely.

How are new players ever gonna get to 11k if the daily rewards are locked behind it in the first place.

Devs are delving into Catch-22 territory where newbies are in a discouragement loop until they leave.

This is a severe mistake and miscalculation the NW Devs need to reassess.

I've helped and talked to many NW newbies. Many 60-70 (new and returning ) are confused and overwhelmed as it, with the staggering amount of campaigns and currencies they need to track. On top of that, is a seemingly insurmountable gearing-up Wall.

Behind that Wall, the Devs erect the Random Queue Wall where daily rewards are locked out. If the new player spigot get strangled out, the NW base population will thin and dry out as well.

They need to rethink/reevaluate this before they roll this out just like that.

• Options
    zerappus said:

The Mod12b Random Queue system is the worst idea I've ever heard from NW Dev(s).

This feature will cause many new players to quit prematurely.

How are new players ever gonna get to 11k if the daily rewards are locked behind it in the first place.

Devs are delving into Catch-22 territory where newbies are in a discouragement loop until they leave.

This is a severe mistake and miscalculation the NW Devs need to reassess.

I've helped and talked to many NW newbies. Many 60-70 (new and returning ) are confused and overwhelmed as it, with the staggering amount of campaigns and currencies they need to track. On top of that, is a seemingly insurmountable gearing-up Wall.

Behind that Wall, the Devs erect the Random Queue Wall where daily rewards are locked out. If the new player spigot get strangled out, the NW base population will thin and dry out as well.

They need to rethink/reevaluate this before they roll this out just like that.

How is the daily reward lock behind a wall? Level will not be a factor. So as soon as you can do the first dungeon you can random queue for the dungeon you are leveled to. Do granted not really random since you will only be able to do 1 dungeon. And threw l the same goes for skirmishes. The only real thing is the daily total will be about 500 less than it is now. But they will make that up by running a second run. So q dungeon and 1 skirmish will get even low level players all but 500 RAD that they get now with 2 dungeons and 2 skirmishes.

The real road block is at 70th level because they have to unlock all epic dungeons and all the trials before that amount will increase.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Now I grant you that as it stands now it is massively broken. The idea itself is not a bad idea. The implementation of it is horrible which makes a mediocre idea a bad idea.
  • Options
    The pros and cons of random queuing are what is the problem. As it stands now the pros are small and really only a priority to Cryptic. And the cons are massive and detrimental. Sadly the pros could be obtained by far better ways that would be a much better boon for the game but the devs seem hell bent on the way that they are tunnel visioned to.
This discussion has been closed.