test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Updates to Inventory Management

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
edited September 2017 in News & Announcements
Discussion thread for the new M12b Developer Blog: Updates to Inventory Management!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10644154
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• tiadroptiadrop Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I like the sound of the upcoming inventory update and agree with most of the comments made thus far. For my own personal choice I would like it if there was an option to "show all salvagable".
  • astavisastavis Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Hi guys,

To start: I think you could be onto quite an improvement of the inventory system here indeed.
    Some suggestions though:
    • If you do indeed have a way to sort quest items seperately, why not move them to the utility bag, where other quest items such as keys and fishing rods go to as well?
    • Also, I might like to have several of your sorting categories open at the same time, and yet have them sorted according to their category (oldbaldyone also pointed this out above). So, could you maybe change the "show only" system into a "show at least" system that allows you to show items of any number of categories, each in a seperate tab (like with bags currently)?
    • Moreover, I agree with the above post that I would really like to change the order of bags (including the primary bag) even when there are things in that bag, even regardless of whether your updated system will be implemented.
    • Same as above, the "open all" option would certainly brighten my day.
    • Seeing that I usually have three stacks of the same refinement items (that I keep in my bag until double refinement weekend: I would be stupid not to do that), a "bind item (stack) to character" option would not be bad at all. Similarly, a "bind all refinement items in inventory to character" would be very much appreciated. (or simply stop binding to character and leave all items unbound/bound to account)
    • Please make refinements stack to 999 instead of 99. This would help with the change suggested above. But even while playing over 20 characters I find myself having characters that gain 4 or 5 stacks of e.g. peridots before refinement weekend turns up. Imagine what this does for players with only one or a few characters.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    Along the same lines of sorting, can you let us sort the spells in our HUDs?
    So we can instantly switch from a set that's good for fighting compys to a
    set that's suited for a T-rex. I've hoped for this for over three years and you
    seem to be tightening up the codes for each area of our interface. Perhaps that
    can be next? Thanks.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    astavis said:

Please make refinements stack to 999 instead of 99. This would help with the change suggested above. But even while playing over 20 characters I find myself having characters that gain 4 or 5 stacks of e.g. peridots before refinement weekend turns up. Imagine what this does for players with only one or a few characters.
    I think this will be a moot point due to A) The refinement changes allow you to convert RP items to a currency and B There won't be any double RP weekends to wait for.

That said, i could see people still storing RP as items if they play multiple toons. RP Currency should be account wide, or create an account bound item that acts as a RP holder (easy to code it account wide I would think).
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

“Sort All Bags” –Using this option rearranges items over all your bags so that all items of the same type are grouped together, no matter which bag they were in. You can’t quickly undo this, so use with caution! The difference between this and the “Sort” button next to the individual bags is that with the individual bags’ “Sort” button, only the items in that bag will be rearranged

I assume this will sort everything to the top portion of the bag (like the existing sort). If that is so, is there a way to get the option to sort everything down to the bottom instead - like an additional option? I don't know about others but if I were to use this option, it would be to clear the top bags for new loot to be sorted through. I can't see me ever using this option on a main toon, as I typically sort items in bags by type - gear, potions, quest, etc.

Convert Refinement - Will this filter out things like GMOPs/SMOPS/Gear/Marks, that you wouldn't typically convert? This seems like something that could go VERY badly if some UMOPs and Legendary/Mythic Artifacts are converted to RP.

Additional changes:

Along with an identify all (which is cool), an "Open All" would be an absolute GIFT of an option for opening things like Leadership coffers.

Better indications on the graphics of the bind status on items would help. Looking at your 3 stacks of marks and trying to figure out which are BTC, which are BTA and which are unbound is a little annoying (suppose less so with the refinement process change).

Being able to flag a bag for no sell, no donate. Would be helpful when you go to the Coffers and are trying to donate stuff, to not have to go through the 45 listings of your gear looking for the 1 item to donate.

Being able to flag things to automatically sell when you go to a vendor. IE Automatically sell "Potion of Health" or something.

Flag a bag as the new loot bag.

Be able to move bags without emptying them.

Make bags BTA again....this was a poor change that was not needed.

I like the cautions on Convert Refinement

I like the "open all" button

I like the No Sell, No Donate Bag idea

Good start, but add

Add a

Add a "Move to" button with options for Vendor Bag, Trade Bag or Auction Bag

Add a Designated Items to Trade Bag

Add a Designated Items to Auction Bag

Sort the Second bag Bottom to top to ease manual transfer from overflow bag.
  • raven2259raven2259 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    when do we see the thing you talked about change the starting bag with any bigger bag ?
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Speaking of triple-checking, I hope the QA process for what gets flagged as treasure is rock-solid. I assume I can buy something back if I notice a problem right away, but if a valuable mis-flagged item is sold and only later missed, that's no fun for anybody.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Suggestions:
    1. Get rid of identify scrolls altogether, and have items be already pre-identified.
    2. Have a "unified bag" option, so that all bags can appear as one single giant sized bag. WoW had mods to do this back when I played.
    3. Make it easier to replace an existing bag. This stuff where you have to empty it first is extremely annoying.
  • athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    Nice, but i have a request. Can you create a inventory item on the left side tabs that is just for quest items. This would include those items that have a yellow "!" on a corner and those that don't but aren't salable because they are quest items. Also please include treasure maps like the ones from river district and chult. These have been a thorn in players side for a long time so i hear and this is a simple solution. Bag space should not be for quest items just as it isn't for profession resources and inactive companions.
    Can we also get bag spot switching? In the current method i have to empty a bag to move it to an empty spot. This is annoying why i dedicate my bags for particular items. For instance my bottom bag is for no sell armors and epic items i occasionally use like the shadow throne. Second bag up i use for refinement marks and RP stones (that will change :) ) and so on. So along that train of though can we get a deselect method for the bag sorting? Say i want to sort all bags except the last one, so i deselect that one somehow from the sorting perameters.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

Can you create a inventory item on the left side tabs that is just for quest items.

Including foundry quest items, in preparation for Module ?? when the foundry gets the love it needs :smile:

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • andreask#1780 andreask Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Regarding the "Identify all" option, I would like to point out that it would better be on identification scrolls rather than on unidentified items. That way, we could identify all items using a certain type a scroll first instead of another. I prefer to apply my choices instead of an automated system.
  • bhurabbhurab Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Three suggestions which I think will go a long way (and which have been suggested before):
    1) making bags moveable, with contents still in them, so that players can order their bags (but this may, or may not, be required with the proposed updates);
    2) within the inventory window, improve the useful items tab - with our keys being consumed, there is less need for such space, but there is more need to include quest items, SH vouchers, other "useful" items;
    3) ** the profession window and quality of life is overdue for an update:
    (i) some form of "collect all" button ;
    (ii) some form of "redo task" button, with best / balanced asset option available, allowing for the max 3 rule;
    (iii) potentially splitting the craft bags into item quality (for example, for resources) or asset type, to make management easier (and / or similar option of "sort by type").
  • ggedamedggedamed Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    Make the sorting put items starting from the bottom of the bag (or any container really). Like in a real bag, where items drop to the bottom, then stack.
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    Some really good points here...and I want to express my gratitude that FINALLY things are being adjusted in the UI/inventory management area - it's painfully needed for a bit.

Keep up the good work, looking at some QOL with the professions should be another big goal for you guys.
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
    I like the idea of a selling bag. If this works should make some optional automatic settings for each bag. Like: collect all treasure, all items under your current level, potions: [] force [] accuracy....etc, All enchantments (stones), etc. Give each bag the option of becoming a dedicated bag for certain things so they can auto sort when picked up.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

Note to everyone: (Our Guild is heavy into Roleplaying and if you want to join us, you'll be part of the Family too! LOL)

I understand roleplaying, but I don't think a developer blog is the place for it. My opinion of course.
  • bratleyraybratleyray Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    The useful items tab could be more "useful" in many ways... add fashion, add quest items, and novelty items. This tab is essentially used for keys. It has all kinds of room, but doesnt really get used as much as it should. It would also be nice if maps were stored here as well. Maps are essentially keys... and with so many types it would make sense they were stored in this tab.

[The Legendary Outlaws] (Guildhall 20)