test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help for New Players - Stuff I Wish I Knew Before I Learned the Hard Way

Comments

• heethinheethin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    Very glad to hear it, Endureil. Please let me know if there's something that needs clarifying.
  • solsturn#7732 solsturn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    So as a new player, who will mostly be doing it solo, what would you guys say is the easiest class to solo with.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited November 2015

So as a new player, who will mostly be doing it solo, what would you guys say is the easiest class to solo with.

IMHO Paladin, Great Weapon Fighter and Control Wizard are equally easy here.

GWF is all-around sturdy and high DPS, at least the Swordmaster-Destroyer build everyone plays. The other builds also are sturdy, but way less DPS.

OP is great as all but unkillable in Protection Pala evn in end game. Devotion is nice too, less unkillable, but all those self-heals work nicely, too. Both a bit on the low end in terms of (actual) damage output, so the going might be a bit slower, but all those melee-range 360° encounters will eventually kill stuff.

CW starts out on the squishy side, gets better and better after a while - like Lvl 30 onwards.

All three are OK to go with lower-end gear. Just remember to get it up to your current Level once you're beyond the Lvl 60 threshold for all those gear-borne HP.

TR is also fine for soloing, but a bit on the slower end of the scale due to the need to kill stuff one after the other.

HR is great fun, Trapper definitely also has good soloability, but easy isn't exactly the word I'd choose to describe the gameplay.

GF can go solo nicely, but it takes a while sometimes, and it's easy to get swamped by mobs which makes life difficult for them.

DC is fun, but slow. Low-ish damage with lower end gear...

SW... ...I gave up on soloing here. Squishy. Squishysquishysquishy...
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User

A protection Paladin, (aka a "tankadin"), will be the safest, but that damage can be somewhat lacking.

A Great Weapon Fighter, while not as safe as the paladin, has better damage and a faster/more aggressive playstyle.

A Devoted Cleric, if you choose the Righteous path, can do quite well when by yourself - especially if you pick up a tanking companion, (look into the First Time Buyer's Pack if you haven't yet transferred any Zen into the game).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Still a newish player here (~ 2 months), and I've been incredibly indecisive in my choice of class. As a result, I've levelled OP, TR, GWF, HR, and CW to 30+, with a couple of those in the 50-60 range, so I've experienced a good number of classes already.

While I can't comment on end-game performance, I can certainly tell you that OP, TR and GWF have been the easiest to level up so far. OP is indestructable; GWF dmg output is silly; and TR using stealth effectively just decimates stuff.

CW was noticeably harder below 20, but 20+ started to get some good AoE. 30+ it really started to shine. However, at 50, I still find he spends as much time dodging stuff as he does damaging, whereas the other 3 classes had much less worry about that.

HR damage output has been...anemic, in comparison. Trapper seems the *only* viable way to go. The others are far less damage, which is unfortunate. HR class needs some love.

So if you're solo, I'd suggest OP / GWF / TR. But any of them work, really, for solo - unless you're hoping to solo end-game dungeons, in which case you'll have to be a bit more picky.

Can't comment on SW or DC as I haven't tried those yet. GF I got to 20+, before I switched to OP (although I regret the decision - I prefer a challenge, and GF is a bit more challenging than OP), but should be fine for solo too.

• suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    aaramis75 said:

[...]
    CW was noticeably harder below 20, but 20+ started to get some good AoE. 30+ it really started to shine. However, at 50, I still find he spends as much time dodging stuff as he does damaging, whereas the other 3 classes had much less worry about that.
    [...]

...get yourself a defender companion. The frost mimic e.g. is an affordable, and quite robust tank pet even without upgrading - and you can earn one during the Simril event (unless C decides to wreck overwork it hideously).

Also re. dodging @ Lvl 50: Go for Oppressor - for leveling and Campaignistan, later it's way less relevant, and the other paths are just better for DPS and/or the party, so it's sensible to respec then. But "Ice is nice" is a super-easy way to play, and you can exchange your tank pet for a healer.
    aaramis75 said:

HR damage output has been...anemic, in comparison. Trapper seems the *only* viable way to go. The others are far less damage, which is unfortunate. HR class needs some love. [...]

I fully agree re. Archer and Combat. Trapper is nice, but somewhat of a challenge to level. Endgame, with good gear they really rock, can outDPS CWs.
  • taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    CW with icy veins is really easy to solo. Easiest to hardest. OP, GF, GWF, CW, HR (super easy with elven battle) TR, DC, SW.
    Righteous DC is quite easy to solo.
  • aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User

...get yourself a defender companion. The frost mimic e.g. is an affordable, and quite robust tank pet even without upgrading - and you can earn one during the Simril event (unless C decides to wreck overwork it hideously).

As soon as the winter festival comes on, I plan on it :)

• vattaravattara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 279 Arc User
    "LEVEL 11
    Pray (Invoke your God) frequently, with Ctrl+I at the camp fires once it becomes available. It is necessary to have first completed all of the Blacklake District's quests, and you'll need to complete a quest for invoking from Sgt. Knox."

At level 11 you are able to craft a "worker" for the first time in each profession (exception is black ice profession) in tasks lasting 5 seconds.
    Craft that first worker in each profession and sell the ones you aren't using in the AH.
    Just a little boost to your Astral diamond pool.

• acro33acro33 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    Does anyone know of a build guide for a OP aimed for tanking/damage (as much as it is capable of anyway)?
    I can't seem to find anything that's up to date.
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    "Once you decide to upgrade a companion to Legendary, if it is active, any summoned companion will grant you 15% of its stats."

Does that make it so that there isn't much benefit from upgrading another companion to Legendary? A Legendary would get 4 more upgrade ranks... according to the wiki it means 14% more hit points. But for an ioun stone type companion, that would be meaningless. Is there any other benefit to upgrading a purple companion to Legendary if you have another Legendary?

EDIT/UPDATE: The above has changed. The amount of the summoned companion's stats you gain is now increased for each active legendary companion you have. It is a declining benefit, but having more legendary companions is now a benefit.
    Post edited by alphastream on
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
    edited January 2016

Does that make it so that there isn't much benefit from upgrading another companion to Legendary?

Right. As long as you keep that first Legendary in your Active stable, you'll get the 15% benefit on your summoned companion, which as you said reduces the "need" to make a second companion Legendary.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User
    Great suggestions for not only new players but as you said "before I learned the hard way" (or not at all) players.

One suggestion I would make to new players is to try to get a companion as soon as possible, Why Wait To Level 16?

Especially for low level players having a companion is essentually like being in a permenant 2 person party and 'two swords are better than one' even if the second sword is a cleric's icon, a wizard's orb or a Ranger's bow... ;)
    DD~
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited September 2017

"Once you decide to upgrade a companion to Legendary, if it is active, any summoned companion will grant you 15% of its stats."

Does that make it so that there isn't much benefit from upgrading another companion to Legendary? A Legendary would get 4 more upgrade ranks... according to the wiki it means 14% more hit points. But for an ioun stone type companion, that would be meaningless. Is there any other benefit to upgrading a purple companion to Legendary if you have another Legendary?

From what was written here, it seems that there is not much of a benefit. Upgrading a companion from Epic to Legendary seems to provide a fairly tiny upgrade in stats. That tiny upgrade isn't worth doing on an augment companion if you already have another legendary companion.

EDIT/UPDATE: The above has changed. The amount of the summoned companion's stats you gain is now increased for each active legendary companion you have. It is a declining benefit, but having more legendary companions is now a benefit.
    Post edited by alphastream on
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!

That tiny upgrade isn't worth doing on an augment companion if you already have another legendary companion.

I agree... just my opinion, of course. I'm not sure if you are headed here but... my perspective... I'm considering whether a modification to the wording in the guide is appropriate based on your question. Again, I don't know if that's why you responded, but it's my reaction to your responses.

I'm leaning toward leaving this decision up to the reader rather than posting a firm recommendation. For example, my opinion is that *having* an augment companion isn't worth doing..... I'm not trying to spark that debate (please don't let my spark kindle a discussion on it here), it's covered in more relevant posts, I'm just trying to explain that there are cases, like this one, where I want to give a heads-up to a topic that is worth considering without suggesting that I know what's right for every case.

• dwhite#9735 dwhite Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    EDIT: Disregard, need to verify first.
    Post edited by dwhite#9735 on
  • juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User

Update for mounts: At level 20, you get another loaner mount token as well as a 15% off coupon for mounts from the Zen Store. If crafting isn't your thing, save the 500 Zen from the crafting intro quest and buy a mount with the coupon.

Um.... what Zen? I my memory, (and I have played since late Beta) they have never given Zen for any in-game activity.

• jorell#4306 jorell Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Just started playing and this is a great post. Thanks for making this. Very much appreciated! :smiley:
    Old Enough To Know Better, Young Enough To Not Care!
  • bluebubbl3sbluebubbl3s Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    Thanks for the time and effort to put this together!!! We have been chatting about this in guild and were thinking of putting up something similar on our own forum. If you dont mind, I might link your post in our forum for some of our newer players to have a bit of a read :)

Love when people take the time to think about others!! its a really nice thing to do.
    Myth (CW & DC)
    Guild Leader - Valaurakari Ascension

VA is the creator and proud member of The Round Table Alliance
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

Update for mounts: At level 20, you get another loaner mount token as well as a 15% off coupon for mounts from the Zen Store. If crafting isn't your thing, save the 500 Zen from the crafting intro quest and buy a mount with the coupon.

Um.... what Zen? I my memory, (and I have played since late Beta) they have never given Zen for any in-game activity.

If you use the Arc client on PC - they do offer a kind of badge/system points that can be exchanged for Zen - they are earned through Arc Quests. It involves opening multiple Cryptic games per day. You don't have to play in them - just open then close them. The cost is that you do have to d/l the titles, but it does add up over time. 5000 points can be exchanged for 500 Zen, etc. I'm at 8000 right now - hoping to hit 10000 before my VIP expires so I can buy another month w/o any $$.
  • starkman#8414 starkman Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Great guide. Thanks very much.
    Starkman
  • whithor#4503 whithor Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Many thanks, heethin, for the guide. I'm new to the game and I find it very useful.

See you in game
  • umarachnea#5673 umarachnea Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Awesome guide mate. Virtually suffered from most of them initially. I would add the following though:

- Guides: Jarek's AC Righteous Devoted Cleric

- Weekly quests that give AD: Ballad of Baphomet (Bruenor Battlehammer, Maze Engine)

- To speed up leveling, join any guild (or make one) and make sure to pick up the daily dungeon quest from "The Cleric", which gives high exp. As well as the one from the master of coins which has requires to complete 3 quests in a level appropriate area.

- Check the calendar for upcoming events. Some events like x2 Refinement Points will increase the price of enchants and refinement items, so be sure to buy them earlier if needed. Or hoard them to make a good profit. Or even hoard them to use them and get the most out of them.

x2 Enchants and Runestones event applies to the boxes you get from lockboxes (or buy off the AH) "companion pack", when they are cheap buy some and open them during these events to get twice what you have gotten earlier.

- Refine your AD each day, or check to see if it automatically did.. for me it virtually never does, so I have to manually do it.

Edit: One more thing, for the appearance change items in Mantol-Derith, once you buy one pack, you can then buy them for any other class. They are Bind on Account, so you don't need to farm the dailies (from Bruenor) on each character. You can also buy as many as you want in one go.

Thanks for the guide mate, wish I checked it out earlier... oh how different I would have played.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I'm necroing this thread to say that the NW_newbie chat channel is effectively dead. Most of the people who implemented it don't play regularly, and it's really frustrating to see people joining it expecting help. It only works as long as it has an active membership, and it doesn't anymore. Was a nice idea two years ago.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • nate556#4790 nate556 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I realize this is a newb question, but there ARE SO MANY currencies and most of them seem absolutely useless. Either they get you access to weak gear, I have no idea how to spend them, or they are so hard to get. Is there a guide on these currencies somewhere you guys can point me to?
    Seekers of Sin
    Guild Officer
    Always looking for active & mature players. Join our discord server to learn more.
    https://discord.gg/3crMCCH
  • muminekm#3459 muminekm Member Posts: 248 Arc User

I realize this is a newb question, but there ARE SO MANY currencies and most of them seem absolutely useless. Either they get you access to weak gear, I have no idea how to spend them, or they are so hard to get. Is there a guide on these currencies somewhere you guys can point me to?

AD is the king, seal of the brave is queen, gold is the knight, everything else is fodder (salvage).
  • muminekm#3459 muminekm Member Posts: 248 Arc User

OK more useful answer for you:

All leveling zones currencies are useless except maybe for Ember Shard (you can get some transmutes thanks to them).
    In campaigns campaign currences are useful for either campaign (progressing, making keys or just buying salvage like Riches in Chult).
    Use Seal of Adventure to buy some rank 5 enchants for extra RP, Seal of the Protector (acquired through random queues) for salvage (use AD for League gear or just ask guildmate for some Hunts gear). Seal of the Brave comes only from Tong (+new trial in mod 13) and can be spend mostly BiS Primal armors.

Expanded answer (where you can find use for specific currency) can be found here:

https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Currency
  • dedyfernandi#3954 dedyfernandi Member Posts: 1 New User
    I think you should add retraining token can be bought from sybella artis in protector enclave inside room near lord neverember.

Great guide, i play first, ask question (or read guide) after i know its a good game or not