test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Bonding Runestone Changes

Comments

• artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User

This is a very good idea. Levelling a companion is peanuts because we're inundated with XP tomes for them. The companion XP books are nearly worthless, and training runestones are genuinely only good for fodder.

Alternatively for a defensive stat, no rune carries lifesteal either.

Doh! You're right. Lifesteal then no doubt, not regeneration.

That will even give them the same stats as dark enchantments.
  • marcelinecg#5883 marcelinecg Member Posts: 1 New User
    The solution is so simple yet you're missing it all you literally have to do is make every runestone function the same as bondings. it would allow more stat diversity along with Applying the same boost to your character. I can't understand why anyone can't see that. A simple thing to do yet you're focus is nerfing everything if you want to make something harder work on dungeons stop trying to focus on making characters worse just make newer dungeons harder.
  • martelis1981martelis1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    @noworries#8859

Thanks for the response but, the problem is the COOLDOWN not the stats reduction. reduced stats,100% uptime and no cooldown please. :)
  • yubit#2497 yubit Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    And there's still no acknowledgement on the end-game dungeon rewards being literally useless for the most part, bondings are still getting nerfed and we're gonna take more time to clear any dungeon (most likely), but the rewards are still left untouched, as if it was ok to get a Peridot and a Rank 5 from MSP.
  • oldguy25oldguy25 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I noticed last night that my greater dragon's hoard enchantments have been turned into lessers, now they're gonna nerf my bondings too? If you spend money making something then someone takes away half the value of it then that's stealing. Nerfing things to get you to spend more money is sleazy. Time to find a new game!
  • panteleeleepanteleelee Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    I dont understand, how Augments companions with this changes is better from bonding?
    I mean if bonding gives 195% from companion stats how Augments with 100% only is better? :D

Taylor DC/DO & AC Buff/Debuff - Guild Gutbusters Brigade - PVE
    May the Torm of Understanding guide us!
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited August 2017

dupeks said:

We are going to switch the up time to being able to be 100% (cooldown and up time will match). This will be with the lowered percentages that we presented and seems like the best way to address many of the concerns while still bringing bonding power more in line with where it should be.

This is somewhat a contradiction with itself. 100% uptime and cooldown = duration are not the same thing. Buffs like Anointed Army would need to be applied as it procs for them to take affect. Not only this, but any gabs between campaign attacks can cause several seconds of delay between procs, which could mean several seconds without bondings.

You said the cooldown and duration will be the same, but removed them from the information post, so we don't even know what timers we have to sync our AAs with anymore.
    I applaud the decision to move to 100% uptime for bonding stones. However, there is a concern about how you have phrased it with duration = cooldown.

The current refresh behavior of the bonding stones allows the Companion's Gift proc to refresh before it expires, and it "re-snapshots" the companion's stats each time the gift refreshes.

If this behavior is staying the same just with a reduced % stat transfer, that is good. However, if instead the gift is not allowed to refresh, then the concern Darthtzarr raises is a big one: power sharing will become useless as it will need to be timed with the (difficult to see) bonding refresh cadence of each of your party members.

In my opinion, it's important that the gift be allowed to refresh and "re-snapshot" the stats before the entire duration elapses.
    I Have a question about this why you call that power share will be useless if you will not able to buff a companion? lets put down the numbers. A champion dc can transfer 25% of his power to the player if his power is 35000 for example will give to the player 8750 that is more than a stronghold boon level 10. Also the annointed army will give to the player a boost to his power 33.6%? if that player has 45000 base will go 60120 add also the previous 8750 to thos and we have 68870. Now do 68870-45000= 23870.
    So the dc with 35k power buffs with 23870 the teamate with 45k base power .

Do you think that is small boost to call it useless almost 24k power buff?
    Haha OK, not useless. My words were too harsh.

Just strictly worse than DO buffs in most cases (and power share is a lot less reliable than DO buffs, because it requires tight positioning and because AA goes away quickly in most difficult dungeons).

Also not sure how your math is getting to 24k buff if you start with 35k base power. You can share 25% + 33% = 58% of base power. And 58% * 35k = 20,300. Which for a dps with 45k power translates to ~23% damage increase. So compare that to TI which is flat 20% (and doesn't require positioning or not getting hit to keep AA balls up). And remember that DO still has access to WoL, so 10% of power share is still available for DO.

My point is that this change without any further tweaks will make DO superior to AC for an overwhelming majority of parties. I don't like reduction in variety.
  • fizgigtiznalkie#4436 fizgigtiznalkie Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    dairyzeus said:

Hmm, did a little math based on my current mod 11.5 gear and it looks like if I upgraded every single offensive enchant I had (including bondings) I'd gain ~400 power and lose ~400 crit.

So assuming the power share timings that dupeks and darthtzarr pointed out get addressed then we'll stay at pretty much the exact same power level as we are now.

It's only going to cost us millions in enchantment upgrades from 12-14 XD

Put like that, months of work, dozens of coal wards, hundreds of marks to get back where I'm at right now... it doesn't sound like a lot of fun. And this game is supposed to be fun. Give us options to turn up the game difficulty and rewards instead of turning down the player power, like games like Diablo have.

I'm not on board for these changes even without the cool down.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

I dont understand, how Augments companions with this changes is better from bonding?
    I mean if bonding gives 195% from companion stats how Augments with 100% only is better? :D

For one, buffs to stats available on other runestones. Augment can't die on you. It can fall out as more of a personal preference choice.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited August 2017

The original proposal was bonding has only 50% uptime. Augment with 3 r14 Elritch runestone gets 176.5% and 100% uptime.

The now modified proposal is bonding will have 100% uptime.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited August 2017
    I just remember something. HP from augment is transferable, right? And, not transferable through bonding pet. For some build, augment is better. This is just a comment. I am not complaining.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • aidek0aidek0 Member Posts: 116 Arc User

I just remember something. HP from augment is transferable, right? And, not transferable through bonding pet. For some build, augment is better. This is just a comment. I am not complaining.

Yes, as it says now you are able to get 96k HP extra with the right stones. Is this confirmed to be wai?
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    dupeks said:

dupeks said:

We are going to switch the up time to being able to be 100% (cooldown and up time will match). This will be with the lowered percentages that we presented and seems like the best way to address many of the concerns while still bringing bonding power more in line with where it should be.

This is somewhat a contradiction with itself. 100% uptime and cooldown = duration are not the same thing. Buffs like Anointed Army would need to be applied as it procs for them to take affect. Not only this, but any gabs between campaign attacks can cause several seconds of delay between procs, which could mean several seconds without bondings.

You said the cooldown and duration will be the same, but removed them from the information post, so we don't even know what timers we have to sync our AAs with anymore.
    I applaud the decision to move to 100% uptime for bonding stones. However, there is a concern about how you have phrased it with duration = cooldown.

The current refresh behavior of the bonding stones allows the Companion's Gift proc to refresh before it expires, and it "re-snapshots" the companion's stats each time the gift refreshes.

If this behavior is staying the same just with a reduced % stat transfer, that is good. However, if instead the gift is not allowed to refresh, then the concern Darthtzarr raises is a big one: power sharing will become useless as it will need to be timed with the (difficult to see) bonding refresh cadence of each of your party members.

In my opinion, it's important that the gift be allowed to refresh and "re-snapshot" the stats before the entire duration elapses.
    I Have a question about this why you call that power share will be useless if you will not able to buff a companion? lets put down the numbers. A champion dc can transfer 25% of his power to the player if his power is 35000 for example will give to the player 8750 that is more than a stronghold boon level 10. Also the annointed army will give to the player a boost to his power 33.6%? if that player has 45000 base will go 60120 add also the previous 8750 to thos and we have 68870. Now do 68870-45000= 23870.

Just strictly worse than DO buffs in most cases (and power share is a lot less reliable than DO buffs, because it requires tight positioning and because AA goes away quickly in most difficult dungeons).

Also not sure how your math is getting to 24k buff if you start with 35k base power. You can share 25% + 33% = 58% of base power. And 58% * 35k = 20,300. Which for a dps with 45k power translates to ~23% damage increase. So compare that to TI which is flat 20% (and doesn't require positioning or not getting hit to keep AA balls up). And remember that DO still has access to WoL, so 10% of power share is still available for DO.

My point is that this change without any further tweaks will make DO superior to AC for an overwhelming majority of parties. I don't like reduction in variety.
    IF they stop bondings to transfer buffed power i wouldnt mind ac to get back his old annointed army 50% .
    edited August 2017
    aidek0 said:

Yes, as it says now you are able to get 96k HP extra with the right stones. Is this confirmed to be wai?
    I think that is what it was when I was using augment (before bonding time). However, I don't trust my memory fully these days.

I think the total is 108K if you put another 3 r14 radiant in.
  • oria1oria1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 263 Arc User
    dupeks said:

dupeks said:

Lets not forget the share to companions and the double buff because in dungeons my power is way more than 20-30 k that you guys describe, and even tho a lot of people are trying to hide the fact because it fits their needs Its not nice to talk about other bugs and neglect the ones that is far more important. Anyway I ll stop here, cause its not the right topic.

• panteleeleepanteleelee Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited August 2017

The original proposal was bonding has only 50% uptime. Augment with 3 r14 Elritch runestone gets 176.5% and 100% uptime.

Yes but if u put Elritch in your companion then you have share stats only from companion gear, but with bonding you can share stats from bonding stats and companion gear....

Taylor DC/DO & AC Buff/Debuff - Guild Gutbusters Brigade - PVE
    May the Torm of Understanding guide us!
  • sharpie83sharpie83 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    All I will say is quit nerfing and start buffing. Don't dial everything down to the worthlessness of you old content/equipment. That is regressive, not progressive. Honestly if this change goes through I am walking away washing my hands of PWI and never looking back. I was about to buy VIP 6 pack x2 for mine and my wifes account as we only had 1 month of our vip left but now I will just wait and see cause I won't give another dime to a game company that wants to run this game like big DT is running the US. Buff up the other runestones to be as good as bondings. Also rank 14 really just stop you complain were over powered to justify a nerf then raise the enchantment/runestone level. Irony has not clearer form.

Yes but if u put Elritch in your companion then you have share stats only from companion gear, but with bonding you can share stats from bonding stats and companion gear....
    The killer was 50% bonding uptime in the original proposal. 195% for bonding means 97.5% in average.
  • aidek0aidek0 Member Posts: 116 Arc User

aidek0 said:

I think that is what it was when I was using augment (before bonding time). However, I don't trust my memory fully these days.
    Yea, I already check it out and it still works. The thing is if they are going to change the amount of HP from the empowered runestone, if they know that this is what will happen. If it is, then its WAI, which would be cool.
    oria1 said:

dupeks said:

dupeks said:

Lets not forget the share to companions and the double buff because in dungeons my power is way more than 20-30 k that you guys describe, and even tho a lot of people are trying to hide the fact because it fits their needs Its not nice to talk about other bugs and neglect the ones that is far more important. Anyway I ll stop here, cause its not the right topic.
    Sorry for any confusion, the numbers we are using above are hypothetical based on power share not benefiting companions at all anymore (or the buffed power not being transferred back).

I agree that if buffed companion power continues to be transferred, then AC power share is still very strong in end-game compositions.

However, if the proposed changes result in Companion's Gift only refreshing and "re-snapshotting" power every 15 seconds, then things will be all wonky and bad (because the Companion's Gift AA power "snapshot", if timed right, would last much longer than the AA effect; and if timed wrong, would not benefit at all).

My original point boils down to: it's not great if gift refreshes only once every 15 seconds.

My second point is: if we remove power sharing benefits from companions (and the amplification and stat transfer back to owner), then AC would require some re-balancing to remain viable in an overwhelming majority of end-game parties.
  • btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    RE: the official response on page 10

Thank you for having sense to re-thinking this... Changing the meta paradigm would have been a disaster for sure.

I can swallow a reduction in bonding stats if that's all it will be, as long as they are still BIS.

(laughs at those who tried to make a buck buying and reselling bulette pups)
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    basicly is, bondings buff stays 15secs up and has a 30secs cd after the fisrt click when bonding icon appears, basicly 15secs after the icon disspears, but bondings still BIS runes for companions,

• arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User

aidek0 said:

if u meant for oath paladins oath of protection, bondings with a striker companion is still better
  • gerverpandagerverpanda Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2017

uptime makes a difference. one is up all the time the other is not. Just like your common sense, on and off... I hope.

• araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited September 2017

We fully understand how big of a topic this is which is why we wanted to get the details out early to get feedback on all of the changes. And feedback certainly has been given! Although these types of topics can get heated due to the passion players have for this game, it is a good thing to see such involvement and discussion from our player base.

There are valid points being brought up through out this discussion. Reading over all of this feedback, from multiple sources, has allowed us to take a look at different perspectives on the bonding issues. Bonding runestones do need an adjustment and we'd like to allow for other companion and runestone choices to not be so underwhelming compared to a bonding companion.

Many of the points brought forward by you is that a 50% up time changes too many dynamics which will drive many players to feeling that an augment pet is the only correct route to play. That is not our intention and not where we want the game to go.

Also, we are going to look into switching the offensive effect of Eldritch Runestones to match the defensive effect, meaning that either slot will grant the stat gain (it does mean the AP functionality of the Eldritch Runestone offensive slot is going away). This allows players who would like to use an augment pet with Eldritch Runestones to have a choice in which augment pet to use.

The concerns on dungeon runs/difficulty in the game with any changes to bonding runestones is not unnoticed and something we have been paying attention to internally throughout all of this. We have been doing internal testing on this and look forward to feedback during preview on this very topic.

After reading some seriously valid points about taking away a cookie , and then giving half back to us cos we are crying.
    I am taking my comment back.

HAMSTER....

I do not want half of the cookie back.

I want the whole cookie to be left alone. I need that cookie !
    Post edited by araneax on
    d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

arcanjo86 said:

basicly is, bondings buff stays 15secs up and has a 30secs cd after the fisrt click when bonding icon appears, basicly 15secs after the icon disspears, but bondings still BIS runes for companions,

They reconsidered, now it's going to be "100% uptime" (details tbd).
    arcanjo86 said:

aidek0 said:

if u meant for oath paladins oath of protection, bondings with a striker companion is still better
    I would say that it significantly depends on what type of build you have.

Power share is still a major buff that OPs provide, and if it continues to work with companions then an HP build might actually be very good.

Additionally, HP benefits AoC damage. And there are prot-OP's which get a majority of their damage from AoC. So another +25% HP could potentially be a viable source of damage increase
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    x-posted in other refinement thread for visibility.

Hi everyone

I normally try not to commandeer threads created by Devs since they are the experts on the topic but i wanted to address some concerns:

1) Why are we posting this thread in the Preview forums?
    This is a feature for M12b, a release that has not yet gone into Preview but is planned for very soon but does not even have a live launch announced date. This means that the content will soon be ready for players to try out in the Preview forums but has not yet been finalized. Any features that make it to live will be discussed in the other subforums but while the content is still in Preview, discussions will remain here.

2) Where can we engage with the team on a topic?
    Here! These Dev forum posts on the Preview Feedback section are meant to be dialogues. To use this specific case as an example, we determined early on that this was a change that required detailed communication ahead of the build going into Preview so players had the information when trying out the content/features. We knew players would have feedback for us and we actively wanted to hear their thoughts on this. We tried to respond to as many initial concerns as possible and this morning we reconvened as a team and discussed the feedback that had come in. We evaluate the feedback as fairly as possible, taking into consideration the player sentiment and what our original goals were for a design change or implementation. From there we determine next steps and plans for future dialogue. This allows us to make adjustments or address any concerns before the feature is implemented in the live build. It's not always possible to address every piece of feedback during this point of the development cycle, but we feel it still provides valuable communication.

3) Where is the CM?
    I'm here! As a CM, I do a lot of background work for Preview Feedback threads which involves coordinating with the Developers. But, as I mentioned, they are the experts on the topic so I can't address specific questions on the feature itself. Instead, my focus is on monitoring, organizing and relaying the feedback, and making suggestions as to next steps. I also try to make sure this type of information doesn't get posted on a Friday :)