test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Refining Refinement

Comments

• marko2alzumamarko2alzuma Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    So does this mean that gems & surplus will be removed from stronghold upgrade...otherwise i cant see that anyone will donate any gems or surplus to coffer if breakable to refinement points...and if not you most likely scare anyone from even try to develope a guild.....
  • luks707luks707 Member Posts: 230 Arc User

So does this mean that gems & surplus will be removed from stronghold upgrade...otherwise i cant see that anyone will donate any gems or surplus to coffer if breakable to refinement points...and if not you most likely scare anyone from even try to develope a guild.....

Gems are already a huge bottleneck for strongholds. SH costs need to be cut in half anyway to allow younger guilds to catch up.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I'm ok with the refinement changes. I do honestly believe the bonding changes will have a severely negative impact on players, the community and Cryptic's profits.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • luks707luks707 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Someone on page 1 asked about pres ward etcs.
    I realised part of my comment from the bonding thread probably belongs here.
    1. Refining DID need a change. It is complicated and un-fun at the moment.
    2. Getting RP hasn't been the real bottleneck since the introduction of quartermaster's and wanderer's fortune. If you play enough you get enough RP. A good system imho.
    3. You are not addressing the worst part of refining which is the success percentages of upgrades. Failing again and again and again without any progress is a really negative experience. Why not have a system whereby the dice DO remember what you have done i.e. your first success chance is 10% - fail, ok then it becomes 20% etc. That would make it more fun to upgrade, faster and less frustrating. I know other games (which I shall not name) have this and it is very popular. Pres wards is the main thing that I spent real live money on in this game, but right now, it is a chore and horrible. Dumping in some RP is hardly a problem in comparison to repeated failure. Who in their right mind thinks that is fun?
    4. Some of you will say "oh - I can get to rank 12 easier now" but you are forgetting rank 12 is not going the be the measure anymore. In fact, you have made it HARDER to get to BiS than ever by introducing a 1% upgrade rank designed to give us more places to use our coal wards.
    5. As proposed you are setting everyone back to have to struggle more to reach the same point. This is not fun and is going to turn many players off.
    6. By all means streamline things and get rid of double RP. I hated the process as much as anyone.

In short - please make it so the fail percentrage decreases as you fail. Or drop the cost of pres and coal wards by 50% permanently. But DO NOT go ahead with the change as scripted atm.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2017

Can we please request the ability to have the Refinement Points go across an account.

Okies, so I'm not entirely getting where this particular fear is coming from.

Assuming that we do still get various binding statuses of drops, but don't need to hoard everything for 2xRP, we crunch the character bound stuff where we get it. Same as ever, except it's not taking up bagspace.

Account-bound stuff, we move to wherever we want to use it. We can use it immediately due to not waiting on an event, so we never have to wait and wonder where we can best use our RP. Though if you *want* to, you can still save piles of stones while anticipating some hot new piece of gear. You just don't have to.

Unbound stuff, you can either move where you want to use it, or sell it.

This looks like a complete win to me.
    In addition to all of the points you noted, quite a few items you spend refinement points on can already be transferred between accounts. You are free to move an enchantment over to an alt that has free refinement points in their pool, spend them on that enchantment and then move it back. There's no advantage for charging more RP into an item at a given time so there's absolutely no loss of efficiency here.

The improvements and simplifications to the refinement system are by no means meant to discourage alting. Please give the new changes a try once they are available on preview.

goalposts being shifted again?

If this comment is in relation to the addition of new ranks, please keep in mind that the addition of new ranks does not impact your existing ranks. With the exception of bonding stones (please keep the discussion on that topic to the aforementioned thread) your rank 12 will be as strong after the addition of new ranks as it is today. The concept of best in slot is a transient state of being that's indicative of a position on an ever-growing scale. Not something permanent to be robbed away.

The new ranks will be even stronger, You might feel like you want to grow your enchantments even more now, but reaching the next two ranks is by no means required. The introduction of new ranks of enchantments is similar to the introduction of new equipment. Your equipment won't be the strongest forever. Newer, stronger equipment will be released, and progressively getting to an item level once considered difficult will become easier.

We've been watching how many players have reached the end of where they feel they would like to upgrade their enchantments to. Introducing new ranks will allow us to continue to grant meaningful rewards. We know plenty of players are happy to have reached an enchantment rank they felt was obtainable for the amount of time the invest in playing. New ranks should become within reach for everyone.
  • andreask#1780 andreask Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    My reaction to these changes:

-Regarding the refinement points changes, I really like what you did here. The reduction in items that need to be stored and overall simplification of the system is a great idea.

-New Tiers I don't like so much. It creates more resources required to get to the end item and by that I only mean wards (normal and coal). Everything else is (in theory) attainable by hard work, but these 2 are product of RNG (or zen shop). Simply unacceptable. You need to boost the rate they drop from coffers or introduce new ways to get them (NOT RNG based). Stop forcing players to buy them.

-The runestone changes although necessary, create many problems in setups players have (after investing serious money in those). I think developers fail to see the problem here, which is trending. Before the changes are up, community already created the next trend ( Eldritch runes with augment companion). Unless you create a situation where different setups are good for different situation/classes/etc, the problem you tried to address is not solved.
  • galopikusgalopikus Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    with the nerf to bonding the dungeons will most likely take twice as long to complete now. 30 minute dungeons turns into a hour run. does that mean we're going to get twice the rewards? how are we going to be compensated for not only the loss in value for the items we have paid for, but for all of the time that is going to be wasted in the dungeons now that it will take twice as long to complete?
  • drgeeves#4494 drgeeves Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    While everyone is crying about a supposed nerf (it's not, it's reblancing. Nerfing something does NOT give you something else in return), I am rather glad to see this happen. It will make the powercreep curve for new players a lot easier to manage.
  • araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User

While everyone is crying about a supposed nerf (it's not, it's reblancing. Nerfing something does NOT give you something else in return), I am rather glad to see this happen. It will make the powercreep curve for new players a lot easier to manage.

And what exactly do you receive with the bonding nerf ?
    ( what exactly are you getting in return ? )

Lol....
    d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

• elvalianonelvalianon Member Posts: 331 Arc User

What about the future of leadership RP most people have spent mths leveling it up so you can destroy and the RP items that it makes? How dare you take a item that I have spent time effort and money to make/buy

I don't believe they said the items stop dropping. All you do is convert (kinda like salvage?) the stone to refinement points. This means that unless they apply any changes to leadership; you can still craft and sell them.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    As someone who played when Augments were BIS and was thus lost investment when Bondings became BIS and has since invested in Bondings I'm actually OK with the idea of reducing the power of Bonding stones so that Augments become a viable alternative again.

However I will agree with the suggestion that instead of reducing the up time of Bondings it would be better to reduce the yield.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • blader9xblader9x Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    is this even important ?

why don't the Dev fix the balance between class.. the refinement system is just fine, Fix the bug, fix the use of power how it effects with the enchantment make it balance make it worth in any class how does each of the enchantments will effect each of the class.

Guys you have tons of things to improve on game play and tons of bugs need to be fixed... don't change anything yet or update the attachment rank from 12 to 14 ..mehh this is no use. we have enough on rank up. Just make something worth to play and fun.

for example maybe you can make the town where we come from a live, like my toon come from Silvanite.. so we can go back to our home have a quest to save our land or etc. A signature armor or sets which only come from our town.. its kinda cool when we all in PE can see and finds out that player comes from different town in neverwinter. etc etc etc

• araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User

As someone who played when Augments were BIS and was thus lost investment when Bondings became BIS and has since invested in Bondings I'm actually OK with the idea of reducing the power of Bonding stones so that Augments become a viable alternative again.

However I will agree with the suggestion that instead of reducing the up time of Bondings it would be better to reduce the yield.

I still have my legendary and epic stones augments somewhere in my bank.
    The first ones..

Remember when the tokens upgrade could be bought at the merchant ?
    That is gone as well.
    No one i ask ,remembers it.

d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

• gerverpandagerverpanda Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2017

lol what are we getting in return, fool? Nothing. The nerf was supported not by people that owned bondings and wanted them re balanced, it was by people that did not use them, for whatever reason, and felt that their opinion mattered so much that the whole game should be leveled around this opinion. You had the option to use them or not, same as everyone else. Nerfing them is not an option. Just cause you don't lose anything because you never put out, doesn't mean that those who do or did should get shafted.

if your argument against it is that you can't afford them, or don't have the time to grind for ad, guess what? U don't need them then. If it makes you feel uncomfty being left behind by players with bondings on, on those rare occasions you log on to play the game for a minute or two, deal with it. Why would u expect access to the same benefits as those who earned them.

If you are a new player, why should things be easier for you at our expense? The nerf to bondings in no way benefits new players. Powercreep curve??? wtf u mean. With or without bondings you still getting carried.
  • elvalianonelvalianon Member Posts: 331 Arc User
    cambo1682 said:

That is exactly what this will be, yet another alt killer. I am sorry but I have little faith that this will be thought through and implemented in a way that will benefit players, especially those that have invested time or money in the game. The nerf to bonding runestones in the technical link is beyond a "tone down". As someone in the other thread stated this is going to cause a lot of players to examine whether or not they want to stay in this game. (Their term was a little harsher). You guys have once again gone too far with your nerf hammer and are demonstrating that you are just fine punishing your players for playing the game.

How does this become a alt killer if we can still move unbound refining stones around before we turn them into points? The only difference I see (as promised in the post) is that we can now "salvage" our RP items for RP points at will and the refining itself becomes a lot easier and less time consuming (hopefully). We have yet to see how the reduced points given and needed plays out in comparison to the old system, but if its anything like they promised it should not be worse (I understand that their word doesn't calm some of you xD tbh me neither).

And lets be honest. Bonding stones are far too overpowered. They are very HAMSTER nice indeed, but overpowered. I'm happy that they actually try to match the other Runestones to its level, would have wished they hadn't done so by a nerf and instead scaled the others higher, but hey... I am sure they have their reasons. It sucks for those who spend a small fortune to get them, or just/will get them before this big update, but that's something to always keep in mind. This is a game that changes frequently based on its own small economy and demographic. Also a lot of it is just a well decorated gamble machine. I'm not saying players have no right to be mad, I've been around since beta release and I've been through all stages XD But really if you invest a lot of time and money into this game, do ask yourself first if you are willing to do so even if that means you might loose it within a week, because that is how they roll here. Anything can change and nothing is safe.

Overall I am not at all upset about this update, of course we will have to see how it really plays out once it pops up on preview and goes live but I see no reason to cry and yell off the rooftops just yet.
  • fisenfisfisenfis Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    please dont kill the game.
  • blazious11blazious11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 331 Arc User
    Deleting double rp event and adding another kind is bad, and I would be happy to keep the original, and I see a very bad consequence:

People who wanted to change their neck, waist, artifakt could break those into the new one, giving around 57% progress during double rp, so changing ther neck and waist to rebalance their builds wasn't that bad.
    Now that's gone.

I suggest neck and waist artifakts give us always under double rp bonus just as weapons do.

I don't know how artifakts stand now, but refining a new míthic artifakt with breaking another míthic in it should give us a fair progress outside the double rp event.
    My story is truly a grand tale! Of course, any story about me is going to be grand simply by virtue of the main character.
  • turtlemanjayturtlemanjay Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10 Arc User
    Will enchantments still contribute to the new RP currency? Will enchantments still drop as dungeon chest rewards?
  • vikingmetal#6053 vikingmetal Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Hi,

I wonder: apart from what has been said, what will happen to Wanderer’s Fortune mount bonus?, what kind of drop will it give?.

I’ve also read “Dragon Hoard - will now drop gemstones (white pearl, peridot, etc.)
    Fey Blessing - Still drops enchantments” in the thread about technical details. Any reason to leave the fey blessing the same way?, or any particular reason to nerf the dragon hoard that way?.

I’d like to remind to devs about enchantments basic function is to be equipped in gear/weapons, even if they’re used in RP too. Well, they drop rank 5 for free right now when u’re lvl 70, or higher ranks can be got in lockboxes sometimes or bought (rank 7) from trade bars in the store in PE, as u know. The basic matter is: the only way to get them really 4 free is to drop those rank 5 and equip them in ur gear, as lockboxes suppose previous cash spent and trade bars come from lockboxes… According to what u say enchantments’re not dropping anymore in normal gameplay, and the way to get enchantments is to buy lvl 1 ranks in PE? and refine them all the way till the lvl u wish, even a lvl 5 rank when it can be dropped right now? O.o that’s a true waste of RP in the end, isn’t it?. Not to speak about when a player doesn’t have that much money… not the best seeing ur toons dressed in lvl 1 rank enchantments, when the previous options were much better, and perhaps, fair.
  • vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I have some questions:

1)Why did you cut the RP necessary to upgrade something by 10 and at the same time cut the RP from refinement items by 10 too? I mean, the cost is the same in the end, so you just did that to deal with smaller numbers? That's it?

2)There are no more power/resonance/stability/thaumaturgic/union stones, right? There's only white pearls, peridots, aquamarine, flawless sapphire, black opal, blood ruby and brilliant diamond that you can convert to "refinement currency", right?

3)Following-up the questions above... You cut the RP cost to upgrade Artifacts and Artifacts Equipment by half, which is like an always double refinement, but can we still use artifacts as feeders? Because if we can't then it's actually more expensive than cheaper to upgrade artifacts even with half the RP. I mean, we have no more Power/Stability/Union farmed from Dread Ring neither Resonance from Heralds of Tiamat (Dragon Run) nor Thaumaturgic from Sharandar. Meanwhile the bulk of our farm will be Peridots which gives 5 times less RP than any lesser stone (this is mitigated by the RP requirement reduction, but it is far from being nullified). There's also Aquamarine, Flawless Sapphire, Black Opal, Blood Ruby and Brilliant Diamond of course, but those are pretty rare compared to the sheer amount of Lesser Stones we can farm before these changes arrive. My suggestion is you boost the drop rate of higher gemstones (Aquamarine, Flawless Sapphire, etc) or you boost the RP of peridots and white pearls. Can you do that?

4)As far as i understand refining Enchantments won't have RP requirements cut in half, only the Artifacts will have this cut, right? What enchants will have is refining straight from rank 7 to 10 (no more needing two rank 7 to build one 8, two 8 to build one 9, two 9 to build one 10 which would totalize eight rank 7). This is great, but only decreases costs from 7 to 10. Upgrading from 10 to 14 will be extremely hard if after these changes we can't get Thaumaturgic Stones from Sharandar's quests anymore. So what kind of gemstone will replace Thaumaturgic at the end of these quests?
  • :D :D I find it really funny all of the people who are complaining " I put real money in this game for just bonding runestones and now they are nerfed so I'm quiting." Games like this are always changing. Maybe next time you people can think of something else to sink your money into then things that could get nerfed. Which from the looks of it everything can be nerfed. Sooooo good luck.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Is there going to be a cap on RP?
    FrozenFire
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2017

I gotta look for an augment with defensive slots now, upgrade that, buy eldritch runestones for it, get new gear for it, new reinforcements for the gear, sell what I have and get new enchantments to rebalance all my stats.

Don't forget that if you give up your current debuff companion, you will lose those debuffs, which will in effect make the content even harder than before. This is mostly going to be an issue in FBI, MSP and ToNG, but losing all those debuffs will have a significant impact there.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • kyriahnkyriahn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Just my grain of salt but I believe VIP needs to be reworked if enchants are to be increased. Also, for non-VIP players, something needs to be done about pres wards/ coal ward prices....make them with professions or something. Prices are so through the roof I really don't feel like grinding for another 5M AD to get coal wards for the 1% chance, THIS this is not fun for me or others. Players need to feel like doing stuff is meaningful in-game not based on buying Zen.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Okies, so I'm not entirely getting where this particular fear is coming from.

Assuming that we do still get various binding statuses of drops, but don't need to hoard everything for 2xRP, we crunch the character bound stuff where we get it. Same as ever, except it's not taking up bagspace.

Here is the issue - assuming you have unused refinement points on an alt, and enchants on a different alt. Not a problem...you move the enchants to the alt who has the refinement points - refine the enchant there and then move it back.

The problem is when you want to refine something that is character bound or something that will bind once you refine it.

Let's say I have an artifact or some gear on one alt, and refinement points on a different one. I would be stuck...unable to refine. Today I could copy unbound or account-bound stones from the alt to the one holding the artifact or gear, and upgrade it there.

The best solution IMO, would be to make refinement points an account-wide currency, just like Zen. That makes the system even smoother - no need to copy anything back and forth.
    Hoping for improvements...