test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crit and Owlbear question

mcgwarfacemcgwarface Member Posts: 160 Arc User
What range is considered low crit???This is to get the best use out of the owlbear. Is 4k crit okay?

Comments

• mcgwarfacemcgwarface Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    Really hoping someone would answer this. Im not sure if I am maximizing my dps or not.
  • trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Might be better off increasing crit chance and crit severity and using the Owlbear cub as a "fail safe" for the times you don't crit instead of relying on not critting for a damage increase.

After calculating the Owlbear cub damage boost by purposely lowering crit chance/crit severity) vs increasing crit and crit severity along with the Owlbear cub, the latter produces more damage.
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen
    edited May 2017
    Thanks!! Okay good to know, whats your recommendation as a minimum for crit (dps /tank OP hybrid) ???

Current: Hps 210k, Power 30k (150k combat), Armor Pen 7k (10k combat), Def 21k (74% res), Deflect 4k, .....but crit at 4800k right now.

Trying to figure out what stat I can lower to increase crit.
  • trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    For tanks that want to do DPS they have to pick their poison. Would suggest armor pen if it stacks to over 6k in combat.
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen
  • thrill#1417 thrill Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    Yeah, you have too much armor pen. Switch that for crit. You only need 55 to 60% resistance ignored.
    Managed to adjust Crit and AP to both 7k. If I adjust any further it might skew my other stats. So far 7k crit and 7k AP (both rising to 8k) is keeping mobs aggroed fairly well. Hoping for new boons down the road to increase crit again.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Bear in mind that the owlbear does separate damage whereas crit increases the damage for each attack - as such going high crit is better as it improves your temp health gain from TW. You should aim for at least 65% crit chance in combat - aiming to get to above 80% as a goal.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

Managed to adjust Crit and AP to both 7k. If I adjust any further it might skew my other stats. So far 7k crit and 7k AP (both rising to 8k) is keeping mobs aggroed fairly well. Hoping for new boons down the road to increase crit again.

By AP do you mean Armor Pen? If so you need to look at your Resistance Ignored stat instead (which is increased via points in armor pen). You goal should be to have -60% RI with companion procs and Radiant Strike - but not more as it's a waste. You get 5% from Radiant Strike and you're companion should give you between 5-15% depending on your bondings etc.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Yes, everyone above me get's agreement from me for explaining this in a proper manner.

Edit: Is it OK for this to get moved to the paladins forum, seems like it belongs there actually not in the xbox one moonstone mask...

Critical Severity should be important, ideally 100% crit rate on a Protection Paladin. Templar's Wrath provides a MASSIVE damage to temp HP ratio. Its 1:3 at worst, and 1:15 at best. This makes your survivability become linked to your damage numbers. So increasing damage on Templar's Wrath is critical to staying alive as well as holding aggro. Critical Severity is an easy boost to damage as well once your crit rate starts peaking above 50%, and you really notice your near infinite Temp HP at 75% crit chance and above.

Most people go dread enchant to help out a ton with the temp HP gained by TW, although that may not be 100% necessary, and Feytouched still provides an 18% boost. If you don't know what crit number is good enough, I have seen 20k crit not be high enough for some paladins although that is generally a very comfortable spot for crit. If you don't have Force of Will, that is a DEALBREAKER for crit on paladins.

Some simple math after potion effects
    Assuming 25 Charisma, 18 Wisdom and 3/3 Force of Will, 20k crit points on gear after bondings.
    (1/(3-Ranks in Force of Will)* Charisma) + (Wisdom % boost) + ((points in Critical Strike coming from boons/gear etc...) / 400)

(1/1*25) + (8) + (20,000/ 400) = ? % crit

(25) + (8) + (50) = 83% crit.

Now remember that of that 83%, 33% came from attribute bonuses, and 25% was from FoW alone. That's good stuff.
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
    Yes AP, armor pen... its high because of a 4000 Armor Pen mount bonus. I need to save up for the Imperial Rage Drake + 4k crit

. Not sure if I can squeeze out enough crit in other areas wout sacrificing other stats that I need for balance.
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Vey, looks like I have some serious adjusting to do on crit.
  • antechei#9127 antechei Member Posts: 10 Arc User

Yeah, you have too much armor pen. Switch that for crit. You only need 55 to 60% resistance ignored.

As an edit for any future readers, this is no longer true. As of Mod12, new areas and dungeons will require closer to 9k ArPen, or so I've been told.