What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fed Up

2»

Comments

• mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    radix4257 said:

Cryptic gets cudos for setting this mod up so you do not have to play every day. Then they completely blow it with all the blasted ambushes along the trails. It has gotten impossible to go from one place to another without getting knocked off of your mount several times and having to fight the the ambushers. So I have decided that I will no longer go into the jungle and just do the port tasks, rewards are just not worth dealing with the ambushes.

I actually don't mind the mobs or ambush at all.

I do however hate the fact that i complete the mod cap in 1 day and have to head back to somi for te next 6 days. that is kinda stupid. give us a new mod that you only play 1/7th of the week.
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

I have to quibble a bit with calling it "challenging". When a pack of Compies or raptors knocks you down, it isn't really a challenge to kill them: it's merely an annoying timesink. That first pack of Compy dinos upon leaving PN are nearly impossible to avoid, and they seem to catch me (on a legendary mount) at least 75% of the time. I've taken to always engaging them because I know I'll most likely be forced to fight them anyway. It carries zero challenge: it's merely akin to being forced to slow down for a speed bump on the Interstate when there is nothing around. Imagine if it was that way on your daily commute -- people would become livid. That's sort of how it feels to me.

I suppose one could call it a challenge if avoiding them was the challenge, but let's be honest, there are a great many dinosaur groups around that simply cannot be avoided because you are constrained by zone geometry. In those cases you HAVE to stop and fight, one that we are guaranteed to win every time if we meet the IL requirements. For those cases, it's not a challenge; it's an annoyance.

If nothing else, I think that smaller dinosaurs should have a much harder time knocking you down: something the size of a Compy can only run so fast with those small legs and reptilian metabolism, and they have a lot less mass. The probability of a hit resulting in a knockdown should be far smaller, and the probability of a hit should be far smaller based on the speed of your mount. A Compy leaping 300' in an instant to knock you down is just absurd. I doubt there has ever been a life form in all of evolutionary history that could even approach such a feat.

This entirely sums up my feelings as well. Great post. I know I can kill most groups but its just an irritation. It can take 10 minutes solo to just about get anywhere with no tangible reward. Its like working to go to work. I have said this before - one great thing about WoW is that the mobs dont spawn on the paths and roads, but once you get to your quest location, you have to fight your way in and out. Now thats the challenge [or should be] mobs on roads and paths is just annoying. It was in RD as well :)

• namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    I'm glad we have loadouts. There is no way I would be doing mod 12 with a tank build. Still, I look for the most populated instance to do some quest in. And I suicide by mob to get back to camp once I am done with a quest. Not worth fighting your way back.
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User

And I suicide by mob to get back to camp once I am done with a quest. Not worth fighting your way back.

I just switch instances.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I too don't mind a challenge. But when you got to stop every few seconds just because of the ambushes.. it does start to get tiring. And like the OP.. I too unfortunately do not have a lot of time per day to play. I get 2.. maybe 2 and half hours to play.

So, in that time.. I want to play the game... and get caught up in the story that's being told. this mod has the potential to have one the best story arcs in the game. I mean.. truthfully.. I did not see a certain someone dying. Though the other person returning was not completely unexpected.

Also, I may have missed it or didn't get up to it... but what happened to Chetterbel???

So I'm really looking forward to continuing with the story.

But, when you tack on logistics and "housekeeping chores" those two hours end up being 45 minutes.

And who want to fight little dinos for what? some green quality loot that most don't need or dino skins for professions?

But I like the suggestion that some of the above posters put out there about ditching your companion while traveling.

I'm using the Earth Archon, and... it seems it wants to do what it wants and attacks anything and everything nearby.

• darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Yup, I wish they could somehow recreate the system in low level zones where once you can face-roll enemies, you cannot aggro them anymore without attacking.

If a monster has a 0% chance of killing you, and could probably be killed by your companion while you are afk, why are they attacking us, and how in the world are they still capable of knocking us off our mounts?

EDIT - Although I don't think they completely blew it. I really like this mod (or will once they fix the bugs).
    Post edited by darthtzarr on

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2017

Yup, I wish they could somehow recreate the system in low level zones where once you can face-roll enemies, you cannot aggro them anymore without attacking.

It's based on level differential. Which I'm sure you know, but I can't see any way in which it could be applied to endgame zones.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    hustin1 said:

I have to quibble a bit with calling it "challenging". When a pack of Compies or raptors knocks you down, it isn't really a challenge to kill them: it's merely an annoying timesink. That first pack of Compy dinos upon leaving PN are nearly impossible to avoid, and they seem to catch me (on a legendary mount) at least 75% of the time. I've taken to always engaging them because I know I'll most likely be forced to fight them anyway. It carries zero challenge: it's merely akin to being forced to slow down for a speed bump on the Interstate when there is nothing around. Imagine if it was that way on your daily commute -- people would become livid. That's sort of how it feels to me.

Think of it more like a traffic light in the city. It’s an unexplored jungle out there, not an interstate.
    mynaam said:

I do however hate the fact that i complete the mod cap in 1 day and have to head back to somi for te next 6 days. that is kinda stupid. give us a new mod that you only play 1/7th of the week.

You “can” complete the cap in one day, but if you run it like the rest of the campaigns (a couple quests a day) it’ll take all week. Personally I run the weekly quests on Monday and turn in the 6x Patrols that piled up from last week. Right now, that leaves ~60 to hit the cap. So I figure I can either run 12 CV quests at once, or 2 a day for the rest of the week.
    If you have lots of playtime, make the run and play a couple/few quests then run back. If you have less time per day, but can play a good chunk on your weekend, run them all at once. That (I believe) is the intent of the design.

I have said this before - one great thing about WoW is that the mobs dont spawn on the paths and roads, but once you get to your quest location, you have to fight your way in and out. Now thats the challenge [or should be] mobs on roads and paths is just annoying. It was in RD as well :)

You do realize that WoW is a continuous world right? With the MOBA style maps, you are basically getting a mob-free (and time free) run to the quest location. The jungle is the “quest location.”

I too don't mind a challenge. But when you got to stop every few seconds just because of the ambushes.. it does start to get tiring. And like the OP.. I too unfortunately do not have a lot of time per day to play. I get 2.. maybe 2 and half hours to play.
    So, in that time.. I want to play the game... and get caught up in the story that's being told. this mod has the potential to have one the best story arcs in the game. I mean.. truthfully.. I did not see a certain someone dying. Though the other person returning was not completely unexpected.

This is the concern I had for a bit too. But honestly, aside from the main storyline quests you never NEED to go in the jungle. You can run your six patrols in town earning totems. It might take you longer to open up the campaign, but you’re not really working for it that way either.

Overall, I hated the area the first week or so. I even told my guildmates, “if it weren’t for the boons, I’d never go back in there.” Then as I forced myself through, I learned where mobs are and what they each do. Velociraptors, for example, wait until you leave their agro radius to attack; basically just like Jurassic Park movie – turn your back on them and they’ll attack. If you don’t want to get ambushed by them, attack them first. (this might not be entirely true, but it definately feels this way)
    There’s also a relatively dino free path along the northern edge. When you leave the twisty path, head right instead of left, then veer off before you get to the river and follow the “main” path there.

• preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    As was pointed out, 95% of the ambushes are easy to avoid. Sometimes you might draw one. As Earl said, when your ring procs, indicating the start of combat, start jumping. Seems to drastically lower the chance they actually hit you. They use a leap attack that doesn't show a target circle on the ground. If you are not there when they hit, you won't be dismounted.
    If I were to be aggravated by anything its that finally all of the people that whined about my companion drawing aggro and starting fights (when she never did that before) are proved right by how close the groups of mobs are placed in areas like the Batiri Village. She just runs off and starts fights. I stopped playing for a while, so I think of it as she's just excited to be fighting again.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User

And I suicide by mob to get back to camp once I am done with a quest. Not worth fighting your way back.

I just switch instances.
    Nice. Will certainly do that on my GF who can take quite a beating for a while before finally going down.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Learn were the dinos are, then either avoid them or strike first. What I enjoy is when fighting a t-rex, every dino in the forest comes to join in the fun...and die...but still fun.
  • baeyornbaeyorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    Actually, I take out every pack of mobs I can.

two words. - wanderer's fortune.

In an extended session of say an hour, I can get a full stack of peridots, about 1/3 stack of both blue ones, and at least 10 black opals.

they are walking refine points to me.

So, in the Baeyorn Jungles Of Chult; I ambush the dinos, I skin the yuan-ti to make new boots, Tryannosuars are big and slow meats, crabs are to be cracked, and undead soil themselves out of fear.

*grin*

all braggadocio aside, as a gwf at 14k plus ilevel, it easier to just kill them all and let Nanny-PuPu sort them out.

B)
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    baeyorn said:

Actually, I take out every pack of mobs I can.

two words. - wanderer's fortune.

In an extended session of say an hour, I can get a full stack of peridots, about 1/3 stack of both blue ones, and at least 10 black opals.

they are walking refine points to me.

So, in the Baeyorn Jungles Of Chult; I ambush the dinos, I skin the yuan-ti to make new boots, Tryannosuars are big and slow meats, crabs are to be cracked, and undead soil themselves out of fear.

*grin*

all braggadocio aside, as a gwf at 14k plus ilevel, it easier to just kill them all and let Nanny-Poo Poo sort them out.

B)

Fixed that for you.

Seriously devs, I get you guys are following orders from Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro, but really...

Who in their right mind would name a character whose name is phonetically pronounced Nanny Poopoo?

"You can run your six patrols in town earning totems. It might take you longer to open up the campaign, but you’re not really working for it that way either."

Where are these quests to be found please? I think I am missing something!
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    "Adventures at Sea", "Adventures in the Jungle". The boat to the right as you zone in is the gate to the Sea. There are 2 wagons to the right a ways as you are leaving Prince W'ango T'ango. Those are the gates to the Jungle.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    Thanks for this - I will check it out later. The jungles are just too meh for me at the moment. :smile:
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Some of the patrol quests will send you to the river map if that is an issue. They are also time gated, though the mechanics aren't clear. I've had times where I could do 2, 3 or 4 quests before getting locked out for 30 or so minutes. Why the number changes isn't obvious to me yet.

Still, take the 6x Weekly quest from the Prince and then complete a Patrol quest. You can earn 5 totems each so that is 30. As they are all mostly in lairs, it is rare that you will have to fight more than 1 pack at a time.

If you progress up the middle path, completing a task adds 25 to your weekly cap but also gives a new weekly that grants 25 totems, meaning you could maintain a steady rate of progression each week and yet do less CV quests. I should be up to House of the Crocodile next week and I assume it works the same.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Some of the patrol quests will send you to the river map if that is an issue. They are also time gated, though the mechanics aren't clear. I've had times where I could do 2, 3 or 4 quests before getting locked out for 30 or so minutes. Why the number changes isn't obvious to me yet.

The quests refresh every hour on the hour.

He'll put up two quests every hour, if you don't have them, you can take them; if you do have them, you'll have to wait. there are six different quests (four in town, two in the jungle), and all of them can be in your journal at the same time.

If you don't want to leave the city, run the four in town turn them in and wait for them to re-pop.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Ok, so I've been taking one patrol quest and the 6xWeekly, completing and returning for the next round. But I should be grabbing up all the offered quests and stockpiling. That's not really optimal but it can be done.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    greywynd said:

"Adventures at Sea", "Adventures in the Jungle". The boat to the right as you zone in is the gate to the Sea. There are 2 wagons to the right a ways as you are leaving Prince W'ango T'ango. Those are the gates to the Jungle.

I think it's pronounced Prince W'aka W'aka
  • shmoodleshmoodle Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I've pretty much stopped playing. I understand new content needs to be harder, particularly when there is a gear IL increase but it is more annoying than it is harder. A DC, I was pretty much epic'd out at launch - all FBI gear maxxed, totally done with SVA with the Master of Svardborg title as a souvenir, legendary companion, etc. I still have a few enchants to take to 12 but I spent a couple hundred dollars on the summer promo and have the wards in my inventory waiting for double RP days.

Getting mobbed at every turn is not harder, it's just aggravating to the point of frustration.

I was a latecomer to the game, started playing a year or so ago. I fell in love with Neverwinter from the get go. I can't play two games at the same time, I give my all to one. I have high amount of playtime available to me so I immersed myself in the game and ran all the campaigns (Well of Dragons is my favorite!). I was working on the last boon in SoMI and River when the dinosaurs arrived. Now, it may be that I'm female and dinos just don't do it for me but I am a serious gamer and I got through some pretty ridiculous graphics in other games so I don't think that's it. I think it's the straight out mob warfare that has turned me off.

I'm still logging in to get my daily key but I've even missed a couple days doing that and trust me when I say, that is totally out of character for me! I will continue to do that until double RP days, I just can't leave a character unfinished, but I am starting to look for a new game and that really breaks my heart, because this game was such a good one.
  • hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    shmoodle said:

I've pretty much stopped playing. I understand new content needs to be harder, particularly when there is a gear IL increase but it is more annoying than it is harder. A DC, I was pretty much epic'd out at launch - all FBI gear maxxed, totally done with SVA with the Master of Svardborg title as a souvenir, legendary companion, etc. I still have a few enchants to take to 12 but I spent a couple hundred dollars on the summer promo and have the wards in my inventory waiting for double RP days.

Getting mobbed at every turn is not harder, it's just aggravating to the point of frustration.

I was a latecomer to the game, started playing a year or so ago. I fell in love with Neverwinter from the get go. I can't play two games at the same time, I give my all to one. I have high amount of playtime available to me so I immersed myself in the game and ran all the campaigns (Well of Dragons is my favorite!). I was working on the last boon in SoMI and River when the dinosaurs arrived. Now, it may be that I'm female and dinos just don't do it for me but I am a serious gamer and I got through some pretty ridiculous graphics in other games so I don't think that's it. I think it's the straight out mob warfare that has turned me off.

I'm still logging in to get my daily key but I've even missed a couple days doing that and trust me when I say, that is totally out of character for me! I will continue to do that until double RP days, I just can't leave a character unfinished, but I am starting to look for a new game and that really breaks my heart, because this game was such a good one.

You might want to just do the quests that you can get in town and just avoid the jungle part all together.I often find myself spending more time fighting my way to and from a quest that I do completeing one . Also after you get going on this jungle map it is better to head to the right for a few less fights on your way to the quest camp but for the most part it is rather silly. Seems like this is a nice map but I never have any real time to enjoy the views because I am always fighting something . I do find this very different when I am on my DPS toons as opposed to my support ones. This game seems to be all about the DPS and very little care for the support side, up to and including the rewards one gets . So it is no real wonder as to why it can be so difficult to find a healer or a tank for the end game stuff . Most get burnt out and just stop as soon as they finally get what they came for. Good hunting.
    I can get through the map now without a single ambush, now that I have learned the locations to watch out for.
  • manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    hawkeyel said:

This game seems to be all about the DPS and very little care for the support side, up to and including the rewards one gets . So it is no real wonder as to why it can be so difficult to find a healer or a tank for the end game stuff . Most get burnt out and just stop as soon as they finally get what they came for. Good hunting.

You just summed up one of the biggest faults with this game in a few sentences.

I think DC's and tanks should zone into the jungle, stand at the campfire and tell dps in /zone chat to stop what they are doing and come help them do their quests and hunts. If we could get a paingiver chart during dailies that would really stoke the fire! You could get 2 dps in your party and they could duel it out on the paingiver, and it makes they feel even better when they see you only doing 1/5th of their damage. :p
    edited August 2017
    There is a DC in another thread asking to be able to get all 4 quests from the jungle at once because he/she can finish them all in 15 mins....