test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question about Operating System & rules?

nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
Does anyone know if it is illegal within the terms of use to port the game onto a MacBook? I know I've ran into other players doing that before, but, as I have a lot invested here, I don't want to risk any terms of use breach. thoughts?

Comments

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    As a user I can't give you anything official, but I think your terminology is a bit wrong.

Porting means changing the code for it to run natively (or close to it). That you can't do as you are not allowed to touch the code and modify it.
    Running on MacBook is a different thing, if you can make it to run, it's good. Same as running on wine and any other non windows environment. You wont get any support (not that you get great support anyway) but nothing against the ToS. All the adaptations are on the hosting environment and no changes to the game are done.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    I think Mac has a way to run a Windows emulator to run Windows application.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    Ah, I see. I was looking into how to do the setup and I might have picked up on the wrong terminology. Tech isn't my native language ahaha. Any suggestions on a guide to do so ? Thanks for the help !!
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User

Ah, I see. I was looking into how to do the setup and I might have picked up on the wrong terminology. Tech isn't my native language ahaha. Any suggestions on a guide to do so ? Thanks for the help !!

https://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-a-mac/
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    thank you
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2017
    While it is possible to run Neverwinter on a Mac (and other operating systems). PWE/Cryptic does not provide support or development resources for Neverwinter on any operating system other than Windows itself. Emulated Windows on Macs for example using Wine would not be supported, even though it is possible to do so. As for ToS/EULA violations, we cannot give such an answer on the forums. To gain such an answer, please contact Support and ask them directly.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited August 2017

Unfortunately, AFAIK, you are in a bit of a pickle there (thought many do love pickles), since the directX 11 minimal requirements in NW, WINE* has issues, you will see missing textures (fully missing mounts for example) and other graphical issues that make the game very very bad looking and in so practically unplayable.

The best option is dual boot (boot camp or other means), then you just run windows on the mac hardware, which is the same Intel. No difference there from any other PC.

Virtual machines have also issues with graphic pass-through, I know VMware can do direct X, no idea about 11.

* WINE is this: wiki
    search for threads and google for running NW in WINE and linux, it will be similar to what you need, or similar issues.
    Post edited by micky1p00 on
    Ahhh. I actually have dual boot set up already. Embarrassingly... i didn't think of that. ><