test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Jack of All Trades" Is there a good guide available?

santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
I'm running a 13.6k conqueror who has 90% defense with bondings procced, ~50% crit chance, 30k power with bondings procced. I don't recall his current Recovery. Is there a good guide, or could someone suggest the best path to work on? I am currently pursuing more crit. He uses T feytouched, Soulforged, and Dancing Shield with JC belts.

I want him to be a decent tank, do some buffing and reasonable DPS. I don't expect a jack of all trades to be a killer at all three, obviously. He's going to be a utility toon for the guild. My other main is a strong dps, so the paradigm is a little different.

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    How do I put this... I really don't reccomend following or finding a Conqueror guide for this.

My personal beef with most Conq guides is that they tell you to do "xyz" for "abc" results, which doesn't account for the fact that the best build for any GF is the one of their own choosing.

A guide cannot account for the fact that you may be god-tier at using your shield, or god-tier at dodging, or is good at cooldown timing, or experience with DPSing, etc.

(There is a bit more to DPSing on a GF than keeping up all your buffs, it's kind of hard to put into words, but once you experience it, you'll figure out what I mean)

Since you already know where your focus lies, then you should have a good idea of where/how to gear yourself.

Ex: you want not awful cooldowns -> stack 7000-12,000 Recovery (subtract 2000 if you run Fight on and subtract 200 pts for every point of INT you have)

Ex: you want not awful DR -> stack DR and lifesteal as you see fit (as an aside note, since you're running Jagged Blades, getting to 17-20% lifesteal makes you a lot tankier than you'd think)

So on, and so forth. Once you experiment around with your build, you'll get a good grasp of to what extent you like being a jack of all stats.

• santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Thanks for the information on Recovery. I've been playing the game awhile and don't really NEED a guide so much as tips. And that was a good one.

His current recovery is only 4831, so I've got some work to do there.

I had played this toon awhile back as a solo dps, and am just getting the swing of things with tanking/buffing.
  • mitty#8178 mitty Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    @santralafax I think you can be a great tank with those numbers. My main is a GF hybrid Conqueror with 15 in Tactician. I can tank anything, and my dps falls right between decent dps toons and decent support toons.

I run just under 9000 recovery with Fight On fully feated. That's my comfort zone for keeping buffs up enough and popping enforced threat often enough in multi-mob pulls. As @rjc9000 said, you'll have to find your own comfort zone.

I avoid deflection, keep DR at 85% (with Armor Spec fully feated, but not United), try for 190k health unbuffed, and stack lifesteal beyond that. I think I am at about 24% lifesteal. It's amazing!

Since you're on an alt I'm not sure if you have access to relic gear, but my everfrost resist is 48% without pots or food. I still use the 5% potion for survivability and damage/threat bonus from relic armor 3-piece bonus. I breeze through msva and fbi and I think the EF resist is important for that. With the 30% token or whatever coming soon (I'm on ps4) you should have no trouble reaching that.

FWIW I use valhalla set, tanky artifacts and purple Krig rings in fbi and msva (and on Orcus for weaker groups), but run Orcus set, dps rings and artifacts on other content. I try to keep armor pen on other gear - using enchants and insignias - so I don't have to mess with it when I swap sets. (The valhalla set gives a little extra RI due to Dex stat.) It's fun to swap out and wreck some content...

I don't presume to be providing a guide, but I though it might be helpful to see what others are doing and try something different now and again.

• boromir#3940 boromir Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    I posted my 'jack of all trades' build on the guardian fighter page of FB.

The problem.....and I explain this in the description of my build, is that it's 3 builds in one. I say this because my build must allow for swapping artifacts/artifact gear, mount equip powers, companions, powers themselves and the list goes on.

My thought process was that I wanted to be able to adjust to the fight. I wanted to be able to exploit the weaknesses of my team by making up the difference. It's never a question as to whether or not I can tank some existing content in the game. But rather, who is weak/strong in the group? And can I fill that gap.....for the sake of the group. That is because I pug like crazy. When I group up I always get compliments from people that have never run with me.

If this sounds like the philosophy of use you see in your GF's future.......then I recommend you hop on FB and put eyes on my 'jack of all trades' build.
    @mitty#8178 Thanks for the ideas and confirmation. I had stopped running him in Mod7, and am working to catch him up on boons and tanking Orcus for practice. He did well pre-nerf (hate the change!) Hope to start testing him in FBI this week.

I don't yet have relic gear on this toon, he is mostly running with hand-me-downs from my main: Jarl's Gaze, Historian's Regalia, +4 Ring of Sudden Precision, Drow Vambraces, and Gladiator boots from MM, ie. The new everfrost thingie gives +50 per cent resistance, however. He has earned his SOMI weapons (the RP again came from my main), so his EF resist is something like 70 now, I think.

He currently has 172k hp and about 15 per cent lifesteal, you've given me some numbers to strive for.

@boromir4 I'll have to get on Facebook and take a look, I'd never thought about Facebook as a Neverwinter resource before!
    @rjc9000 Is there any soft cap/diminishing returns on Recovery for a GF? I'm currently running over 9000 and don't want to stack too high at the expense of other stats. It's done wonders to my ITF.
    @thefabricant and @micky1p00 will probably get triggered from seeing "diminishing returns". And I'll link them to this anyways, since they would probably be able to answer this question better than I would, and also because misery loves company (my laptop's parentheses, shift, and most of the numbers keys broke, so I'm forced to use a clunky on screen keyboard app).

I believe that the relative increase on recharge speed gets less and less useful at 100% recharge speed increase, which is equivalent to ~10,000 Recovery, or less if you have external sources of Recharge Speed Increase.

Formula should be:

Actual Cooldown = Base Cooldown/(1+ the Sum of all Recharge Speed Increases)

Recovery divided by 20000 gives your your RSI % from Recovery, Aura of Wisdom gives 40% recharge speed increase (0.4), Fight On gives 10% (0.1), and each point of INT above 10 gives 1% (0.01).

After 100% recharge speed increase, from what I calculated, you start shaving off less and less time as you did previously with your previous additions to recharge speed increase.

edited July 2017
    Thanks @rjc9000 ! So, I would gues 11,000-12,000 would about top out useful increases.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

@thefabricant and @micky1p00 will probably get triggered from seeing "diminishing returns". And I'll link them to this anyways, since they would probably be able to answer this question better than I would, and also because misery loves company (my laptop's parentheses, shift, and most of the numbers keys broke, so I'm forced to use a clunky on screen keyboard app).

I don't have issue with diminishing returns. There are many diminishing returns stats in the game, and different people apply the term to only stat functions, others also to the relative increase. Whoever fancy what. I personally separate the two.

In any case, not sure why you tagged me, you can just link the explanation here.

http://janne.coreside.com/mechanics/recharge-speed
    rjc9000 said:

I believe that the relative increase on recharge speed gets less and less useful at 100% recharge speed increase, which is equivalent to ~10,000 Recovery, or less if you have external sources of Recharge Speed Increase.

Formula should be:

Recovery divided by 20000 gives your your RSI % from Recovery, Aura of Wisdom gives 40% recharge speed increase (0.4), Fight On gives 10% (0.1), and each point of INT above 10 gives 1% (0.01).

After 100% recharge speed increase, from what I calculated, you start shaving off less and less time as you did previously with your previous additions to recharge speed increase.

Because I know you were supposed to study this wherever you study (not a jab, but if you pinged..):

Look at the function f(x) = N / ( 1 + x) for 0 < x < 1;
    What its derivative ? Or more specifically it's sign ?
    What we can deduct from it ?
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    #crowdfundrjcapropersmartphone
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    No thanks @pitshade he is snarky enough without a convenient tool to go full ham on the forums with.
    edited July 2017
    micky1p00 said:

rjc9000 said:

I don't have issue with diminishing returns. There are many diminishing returns stats in the game, and different people apply the term to only stat functions, others also to the relative increase. Whoever fancy what. I personally separate the two.

In any case, not sure why you tagged me, you can just link the explanation here.

http://janne.coreside.com/mechanics/recharge-speed
    rjc9000 said:

Formula should be:

Because I know you were supposed to study this wherever you study (not a jab, but if you pinged..):

Look at the function f(x) = N / ( 1 + x) for 0 < x < 1;
    What its derivative ? Or more specifically it's sign ?
    What we can deduct from it ?
    Janne, pls, I passed pre-calc and I'm on summer break (start actual calc next term).

I don't want to do teh hard maths.

I has low INT score, pls don't hurt with math.
    pitshade said:
    I never owned a smartphone

You are free to make jokes about being a "fake" millennial.

Even you, Sharp.

And do we have a soft cap/diminishing returns for AP gain? I looked up the link above, and no explanation was available.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    "You are free to make jokes about being a "fake" millennial."

Generation is a social construct and the stereotypes associated with a generation are more accurately understood to be the prejudices of the older towards the younger. Each generation is supposedly lazy and unmotivated as if they were different than those who came before. Then those young people grow into not so young people and say the "The YOUTH of TODAY!" and throw up their hands as their forebears did.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother

And do we have a soft cap/diminishing returns for AP gain? I looked up the link above, and no explanation was available.

None, to my knowledge, since all sources of AP gain are multiplicative with each other. Now, whether you *need* to need that on a GF is a different story, since GF dailies aren't as "must have 24/7" like DC or as "omg amazing" as the CWs' are.
    pitshade said:

Generation is a social construct and the stereotypes associated with a generation are more accurately understood to be the prejudices of the older towards the younger. Each generation is supposedly lazy and unmotivated as if they were different than those who came before. Then those young people grow into not so young people and say the "The YOUTH of TODAY!" and throw up their hands as their forebears did.

That was supposed to be something funny that you guys were supposed to mercilessly lampoon (likely at my expense), not a philosophical answer to the discursive frameworks of society.

:/

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    rjc9000 said:

None, to my knowledge, since all sources of AP gain are multiplicative with each other. Now, whether you *need* to need that on a GF is a different story, since GF dailies aren't as "must have 24/7" like DC or as "omg amazing" as the CWs' are.
    pitshade said:

That was supposed to be something funny that you guys were supposed to mercilessly lampoon (likely at my expense), not a philosophical answer to the discursive frameworks of society.

:/
    The YOUTH of TODAY can't make a proper joke...

I think I can tolerate a millenial who always has excellent answers for BOTH GF and GWF. @rjc9000 can't be beat.
    Agreed, and as I thought. Thx again
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited July 2017

I think I can tolerate a millenial who always has excellent answers for BOTH GF and GWF. @rjc9000 can't be beat.

@rjc9000 I didn't know you were an expert on ducks GWFs.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I'd say I'm a jack of all trade. My philosophy when it comes to my GF is all about efficiency in stats and effectiveness in Solo, group and bad PUGs so I value my own personal DPS as much as Debuffing.

Stats

I avoid stats I field mathematically have least value, these for me are regen (ofcourse), deflect, recovery.

I also try to balance my defensive stats so I have enough to be able to tank consistently, as I feel going over that just leads to wasted stats.

Power>crit, because there are things that do not Crit, as well as there being a bunch of +% power effects. Recovery I avoid because the AP gain does not affect things like cloak, +AP from skills/buffs and my flail snail. And recovery only effects encounters and only those with cooldowns and there's other class abilities that reduce cooldowns making it less effective.

Defensively I go for defense and HP to a certain point on both sides. And though going for defense first is better for survivability, I like HP more because there's a bunch of things that are based on your HP. Since I'm sitting at 240k hp with my guild boon I'm comfortable with only 60ish% DR. Lifesteal I keep at a at comfortable 15% which is enough to make me unkillable in nearly all content. I prefer using draconic rank 12s in my characters defensives slots.

Gear/Items

I use Demogorgon set for the obvious reason of damage, and the AP regen which I very much value for soloing and I cannot live without. Feytouched enchantment and soulforge, though I'd like to swap it out for Elven Battle now but I got no monies.

For Companions my go to loadout are: Siegemaster, Erineyes, Air archon as my 3 and only DPS ones as I feel these are the most efficient (Dont have magus!). 4th is Energon (which i should switch for my Slyph but my Energon is my only legendary atm). For my summoned I use a Kenku Archer, mostly for cosmetic reasons because I'm a halfling, but I should be using my Greenscale Bowman for it's 5% debuff (which makes up for the power lose from losing an offensive slot.) and the fact that no one uses it so it would stack. Also from testing it is a flat 5% debuff on 73 mobs unless someone can prove me wrong.

That's as much of a guide I will give, since much of GF builds depend on what items you use. And my items/enchants revolve around my legacy flail snail + avenger items are not really obtainable for most so no real point publishing a guide.
    Post edited by grimah on
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • masticore#3287 masticore Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    With the new loadout options, you can make different setups for tanking, dps, and pvp. This seems more logical than a one build for all. I don't see the point on minmaxing when a GF can do all 3 well.

I don't see the point on minmaxing when a GF can do all 3 well.

Agreed. My GF is at 15k now and has an all-around build I use for tanking/group content. I'm working on gear for a dps build I'll use for solo content/light content (t1's and t2's).
    edited August 2017
    > @masticore#3287 said:
    > With the new loadout options, you can make different setups for tanking, dps, and pvp. This seems more logical than a one build for all. I don't see the point on minmaxing when a GF can do all 3 well.

Loadouts have little impact and is the least expensive for a GF's build. Enchantments, items and companions are the real choices you need to make.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    @grimah Thanks for the ideas! What makes you choose power over crit (power effects)? I had been going the other route. Do you stack any crit at all? I don't pvp (anymore); so thought crit was the better route.
    edited August 2017
    there are number of things that boost +% power. that is my logic anyhow. And I do stack crit as a secondary, I use brutals pow/crit on my char's offensive slots but radiants on my pet. And ofc armor has 2 offensive stats so i get crit from there too. But I'd always choose pow over crit if when i have to choose one or the other. This is just my personal preference though. Best ask a full dps GF what is most effective in their opinion.