test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunts feedback

Comments

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Good luck, I've had a rough couple of days with Rngesus, so maybe I'm in pessimist mode. We'll see I guess. Hope you're right.

Thanx for the reminder on loot settings, I'd forgotten that was a thing.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Since i have more than one toon that can solo this place i've chosed the Hunt task on my GWF and the the campaing on my GF
    (didnt choosed any oin my CW yet)

After a few tips from alliance members about hunts i notice that i had a good number of troohies scaterd on 3 toons ans sned it to may mail focus the hunt on one toon, the thing is the Trex fangs...

the thing is i would need to get a party ready to play for a few hours with no stops to get some T'rex fangs and use the other trophies i have and i dont have this kind of tinme more than one day a week...

i really glad i didnt choosed Hunt task for all toons i'm not planing on run any hunt bouve Tier 1, If at Least the Tier one Trophies could be sold in AH it would lesser the farm for hunters and give some profit to non hunters...

My point is i dont plan on hunt i wish i could make some profit on the stuff i have in my inventory, plus why this stuff dont stack ? i can't realy understande the reason...

PLS create a place for this on AH !!!

Out of topic: really good weekly desing, first time i wont fall far back from guildies in a new mod campaing, and this time even fishing is somehow fun, since you can tun the fish in currency right away !! Tks for that !!!
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Has any dev said anything about the things being unique and not auctionable being intended?
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User

Has any dev said anything about the things being unique and not auctionable being intended?

About the auctionable thing, yes, unique, I don't think so.
    asterdahl said:

I would like to step in and say that it is quite intentional that trophies and lures can be traded but not sold on the auction house. This isn't necessarily a new bind status, but we will look into putting a tag on the lower section of the item to make it clear when an item behaves in this way.

It is a bit weird! The idea here is that we'd like groups of friends, guildmates or strangers to be able to team up in town and pool their resources. Perhaps you and two other friends collectively have all the 2 star trophies, we want you to be able to obtain the King of Spines Lure.

Although we want you all to be able to pool your resources, we'd like if the primary play experience for those participating in the hunts was to, well—hunt. Lures and trophies being available on the auction house would lead to most (or at least many) players who want to hunt purchasing those items from the auction house instead of hunting.

We understand it's still possible to communicate in zone chat and sell these items, and we're okay with that because the selection of lures and trophies will be limited to the sellers that are currently online and actively hawking. Additionally, demand may change from moment to moment leading to haggling. If they were auctionable, their price would very quickly reach a plateau where many players are comfortable buying them instead of hunting themselves, and thereafter slowly decline as people obtained the gear they wanted from the hunt.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/comment/12974430/

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    #hatred of this ideal..

yet another anti bot method, killing legit players across the board.

however, to keep things semi civil, I will just ask for adjustment to lure drops, rng on top of rng blows.. ive now done 20+ KOS and soled trex 5-6 times myself..

and nothing.. nothing.. you know how frustating this is? bad design, terrible bad design

@asterdahl

can we get some communication on this? lures should be 100% drop on rares and at least a 30-40% drop on KOS.. you know it actually does take a # of folks to take it down.. and when you get nothing time after time.. it makes you feel like your doing nothing.. at all.. at all ... at all .. (repetitive tasks sound stupid doesnt it?

Lets get this thing fixed ASAP!
  • archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    Spent the past few hours farming Tigers/Smilodons, Deinychus/Eotyranus, Scorpions/Venomtails. I kill a group every 15-20 seconds on average if you count travel time, possibly quicker.

In those hours I've received 1 Venomtail Poison. That's it.

I don't feel rewarded for my time spent, at all. In the past I would farm certain dungeons over and over again and even then I didn't feel rewarded for my time spent, but I got more doing that than I get doing this.

This is by far the least rewarding loot structure yet implemented in Neverwinter.

I've also participated in around 75 hunts, probably about 60 Tier 1 and 15 Tier 2. The drop rate from hunt mobs is pretty bad, both loot-wise and lure-wise.

Without an increase in spawn-rate and/or drop-rate this mod will not be remembered for the excellent area design, the fantastic art-work on flora and fauna, the interesting and unique quest-lines.. no. This mod will be remembered for the ill-conceived and un-rewarding Hunt system.

To the dev's. Don't let the bad in your game outweigh the good.

Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    > @archangelzorak01 said:
    > Spent the past few hours farming Tigers/Smilodons, Deinychus/Eotyranus, Scorpions/Venomtails. I kill a group every 15-20 seconds on average if you count travel time, possibly quicker.
    >
    > In those hours I've received 1 Venomtail Poison. That's it.
    >
    > I don't feel rewarded for my time spent, at all. In the past I would farm certain dungeons over and over again and even then I didn't feel rewarded for my time spent, but I got more doing that than I get doing this.
    >
    > This is by far the least rewarding loot structure yet implemented in Neverwinter.
    >
    > I've also participated in around 75 hunts, probably about 60 Tier 1 and 15 Tier 2. The drop rate from hunt mobs is pretty bad, both loot-wise and lure-wise.
    >
    > Without an increase in spawn-rate and/or drop-rate this mod will not be remembered for the excellent area design, the fantastic art-work on flora and fauna, the interesting and unique quest-lines.. no. This mod will be remembered for the ill-conceived and un-rewarding Hunt system.
    >
    > To the dev's. Don't let the bad in your game outweigh the good.

Indeed, I actually really like this area on the whole. A little bit to much CC from the mobs but that's not that big of deal. I love the new zone designs though and the jungle plants. I like that we have new crafting recipes and resources with the chult specific skill nodes though I haven't tried the crafting yet. I like the way they did the weekly haul. I even like the way fishing was done in this mod.

I also like the idea of hunting, but with the way it was implemented I can already tell that hunts are going to be a colossal unrewarding grind with the rng on top of rng on top of rng. It would be a shame if that's all people take away from this otherwise great mod.
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    Same as @archangelzorak01 - Ive got a circle loop to cross paths with Tigers/Smilodons, Deinychus/Eotyranus, Scorpions/Venomtails. I've spent a good 8 hours over 2 days riding in a circle.

I received 1 Smilodon Tooth. My bad luck drop streak got to 19 rare creatures with zero drops. We need to have 100% drop rate on the rare creatures.
    I couldnt bring myself to log in at my usual time this moring due to this.. in my mind there are multiple fixes

1. Remove hunt requirement for the weekly. This way if people want ot chase this rng monster to get some of the bis type rings out there.. let them.. but for the rest of us.. lets just get this campaign over with, open up the dungeon and play it a few times please.

or
    2. add 100% chance of the items dropping on rares, dont be such idiots, no one, in your game, wants to chase down the items for hours upon hours chasing the rng monster for the drops.
    3. Remove your idiotic block on the sale of items (yes.. idiotic) just a continued example of anti bot measures, hurting yoru player base more then helping it.
    4. increase fang drop in KOS.. dont be such derp heads.

Why is every mod we have to say things like this.. duh.. your playerbase doesnt want to chase circles around pretend rainbows, for trinket drops for hours and hours.. just stop doing that.

Lol, actually most of do want to chase rainbows for trinkets, that's pretty much the basis of the game. We just want to get them before old age cuts us down.
    I did say for hours and hours =p...

I fully understand that all mmos have grind levels. I just dont get it when they design it based so heavily on rng .. its really frustrating, while some people progress others get left with a empty and hollow feeling, I just dont believe its designed right.
    Yeah, I absolutely hate that there is no alternative to rng on some things. Rng should be about getting things earlier and easier than other people, with a back up system which makes those things a certainty after x million hours of grind.

Looking at you brutality +5.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Kelt, rare creatures count as hunts for the weekly. At least I know that the 'Bosun Thickgristle' Rotting Ogres near Camp Vengeance count, presumably because they can drop a lure item.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Kelt, rare creatures count as hunts for the weekly. At least I know that the 'Bosun Thickgristle' Rotting Ogres near Camp Vengeance count, presumably because they can drop a lure item.

Do you only need to kill a rare critter or also get a drop? I wasn't sure in the first week because they happened at the same time. At any rate, you don't need to actually go up the hunt tree at all to fulfill that requirement.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User

jonkoca said:

I don't really have to point out the levels of rng involved, both intrinsic to the system, and player imposed via party dynamic.

You aren't wrong on this one, but the lures aren't all that rare, and getting hunts aren't all that hard. Although getting 25 in a week may be difficult for people with less time due to how the T-Rex Fang drops work (I will most definitely be complaining about this mechanic later)
    You are EXTREMELY wrong on this one.
    I've been at it for several hours, saw maybe 6-8 groups of rare monsters, at least the ones I'm looking for, and I got 0 drops so far.
    Not only is the spawn rate terrible, the drop rate is equally terrible.
    Hunts is thoroughly HAMSTER. I hate it. It's awefull. It's SOMI fishing levels of bad, and I feel like i'm performing self mutilation on my soul while I'm running in circles not getting anything from it.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

pitshade said:

Do you only need to kill a rare critter or also get a drop? I wasn't sure in the first week because they happened at the same time. At any rate, you don't need to actually go up the hunt tree at all to fulfill that requirement.
    As far as I can tell, you only need to kill a "rare" creature to meet the weekly requirement.

Anecdotally, it doesn't always trigger on the first rare creature I kill if there are other folks fighting it (especially on my support classes haha). I'm assuming that some kind of kill credit mechanic is at play.

Moreover, I'm pretty certain that just getting a "rare" trophy if you didn't kill the creature does not complete the hunt requirement. I had a great time doing the intro quest lines + weekly haul with friends (sometimes full parties) and I distinctly remember getting a number of trophies and then having to go back to solo a rare tiger to get the weekly to trigger.
    I'd guess that "participate in a hunt" considers what parses as an attempt to get a drop as participation, successful or not. But it does make sense that you need credit for the kill, so supports need to engage in solo combat to meet an acceptable damage threshold.

(This absolutely happens to me when I am partied with the husband on other quests. I have to tell him to let me kill certain things by myself. Which I'm totally capable of doing, it just doesn't count for me if I have too much help.)

Neverwinter Census 2017

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I have gotten each time on the pairs of ogres, around the camp and also along the path to the Batiri camp. I believe the paired creatures are one that have a chance of a drop? Regardless, I haven't gotten any drops but the quest updates as soon as the first ogre falls. These were solo kills, CW and DC. If I can remember, I will try the pair of blue crabs at the ford and see if they work. My assumption though, is that this is the first step in a hunt so it counts.

ETA Credit where credit is due, rjc9k asked me to test this for him which is how I knew. Those ogres contribute a lot towards the daily as well.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited August 2017

jonkoca said:

I don't really have to point out the levels of rng involved, both intrinsic to the system, and player imposed via party dynamic.

You aren't wrong on this one, but the lures aren't all that rare, and getting hunts aren't all that hard. Although getting 25 in a week may be difficult for people with less time due to how the T-Rex Fang drops work (I will most definitely be complaining about this mechanic later)
    You are EXTREMELY wrong on this one.
    I've been at it for several hours, saw maybe 6-8 groups of rare monsters, at least the ones I'm looking for, and I got 0 drops so far.
    Not only is the spawn rate terrible, the drop rate is equally terrible.
    Hunts is thoroughly HAMSTER. I hate it. It's awefull. It's SOMI fishing levels of bad, and I feel like i'm performing self mutilation on my soul while I'm running in circles not getting anything from it.
    Some are more common, others more rare. I'm actually very surprised it took your several hours to find 6-8 groups of rare monsters. With the route I take, it generally takes less than 10 minutes before I spot another rare. Generally a lot less. I easily get more than one trophy per hour... on my 13k DC. I have farmed a total of around 50 trophies at this point, including 13 T-Rex fangs. Can the RNG screw you over? Sure it can. Have I spent an hour or two and got nothing? Sure I have. Have I also got 2 trophies from the same group of rare monsters? Sure I have. Have I gotten 5 trophies in under an hour? Sure thing. RNG happens to be random, and cannot be judged with a small sample size, and must be evaluated for both when it gives a lot and when it gives a little. It feels pretty dumb to see rare monsters and have them drop nothing though, and I would probably prefer it if they just combined the two chances into a single chance of rare monsters spawning. One rare group, one trophy, but the rares would be a lot less common.

Also, T-Rex fang has a nearly 100% drop rate, so if ever in question, go beat someone in DPS on a T-Rex, take their fang, and then sell if for the trophy you wanted.
    Post edited by darthtzarr on

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• valnoledvalnoled Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    "Multiple hunts should be possible on a single map, but not two of the same monster from the same location. Otherwise people would be able to spawn tons of critters from a single spot and would be (Tomb of) annihilated.
    So if players are reporting that Karkinos is summoned so he can’t be summoned again, that’s expected. If they are saying that Karkinos is summoned so Baccho can’t be summoned, that’s a bug."

That's a really weird solution. There are plenty of instances now, with the crowd eager to get new equipment. Later with the next module for ex - people will get stuck in 4-5 instances with no option to summon the creature they need. Make a CD.
    Sometimes I wonder if devs really think through the next few steps.
    Aside from instances getting into a bugged state with an unkillable hunt, I'm not really seeing why there would be a lot of hunts just sitting around making it impossible for anyone else to run them. If a group has given up, I think someone else is likely to take their kill, even when interest in this zone decreases.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• darkan#3756 darkan Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    The drop and respawn smilodons and venomtail its too litle that is imposible go hunt alone witout group that rake 4 or 5 instances serching those rare criatures its insane and lost time
  • zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    > @darkan#3756 said:
    > The drop and respawn smilodons and venomtail its too litle that is imposible go hunt alone witout group that rake 4 or 5 instances serching those rare criatures its insane and lost time

Agreed I farmed scorpions and tigers for 3 hours the other day to only get one single venomtail poison.
    Imo, rare creature spawns, and lure mat drops need a boost, atm. hunting is crazy frustrating.
  • archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    @nitocris83

Has there been any internal discussion as to how the players feel about the rare critter spawn/drop rates? Has there been any internal discussion concerning drop rates of Lure items from Hunt critters? (tier1 and tier 2)

As time goes by I seem to see less and less rare critters spawning and less and less actual drops from those critters. I can sometimes go an hour or more of non-stop killing (in a low-pop instance) without seeing a single Eotyranus, Venomtail or Smilodon. On the rare occasion when I do see (and subsequently murder) any of them I rarely get a hunt token. It's been 3 days now without a single Smilodon Toof or Eotyranus Talon. I usually farm for multiple hours a day when I have the time.

It's a whole lot of time and effort for either nothing, or very little.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    I decided to give the Hunts a try and farmed few days, made around 30 lures and i can only confirm what has been said so far. Of those 30 lures only 1 has been made with Venomtail's material, same for Batiri Brave. Eotyranys and Smilodon are rare and rarely drop lure material but Venomtail and Batiri Brave barely ever show up and when they do they dont drop lure material.
    Drops from 30 Hunts are 5 trophies and salvage.
    edited August 2017
    Okay, today I successfully hunted the king of spines. Nice new hat.

This probably ends my career as a hunter, building the lure was a huge amount of time, and a lot of AD.

I think, looking back, the biggest obstacles are in the T1 phase. Once I'd (tbh. mainly traded for in zone chat) acquired the materials to build T2 lures for bachho, sirrush and Thazar, the rng from them was good. Both Thazar and bachho dropped their T3 lure mats first try, sirrusih took 3 tries, but I also got boots of the alpha, so not complaining, and of the three, sirrush is the second easiest to farm. Thazar is probably the easiest, ogre bones drop like candy for spli-Ti, and now he's fixed, farming him is no problem. Horns also seem to drop ok, if you bump into the right monster.

Farming the t1 mats for bachho however, is a nightmare. Venomtails are rare to the point of near non-existence, and smilondons are almost as infrequent. This is also reflected in trade prices.

The rng from the T3 king of spines seems also good, which I am thankful for, as I'd already decided, whatever dropped, that this was my one and only shot at him, thnx to the three friends who helped me btw. the king is not really a solo event.

Rex corona, a verrrry nice hat indeed.

Conclusion, though gruelling, and frustrating, the hunt system is probably the best thing for me in mod12. Certainly, nothing else has made me as nervous as I was standing before the cave of the King.
    For the info of the community, Smilodons spawned in a patrol I ran yesterday and they dropped a fang. Not really a viable place to farm, but worth noting that this is a thing that can happen, so make sure your inventory is clean even for running patrols.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

For the info of the community, Smilodons spawned in a patrol I ran yesterday and they dropped a fang. Not really a viable place to farm, but worth noting that this is a thing that can happen, so make sure your inventory is clean even for running patrols.

Really glad that they drop stuff, I had seen rare variants numerous times in weekly patrol missions but to date they have never dropped a trophy for me. Glad to hear it's possible XD
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    The one thing I notice is the rare items that drop from Tigers, Bears, Scorpions, Dino's and crabs 'sometimes' drop so rarely. When I first got into Chult within an hour perhaps 2 of going to the River Jungle I had 2 rare items drop that I could combine with Fangs from the TREX for a Hunt Lure.

But today I spend well over an hour (about 1.5 - 2hrs in fact) defeating enemy in Chult about an hour by myself, then another hour with another Control Wizard in the party with my Paladin. Still neither one of us got a single Rare trader item for a Lure which I thought was just a 'little' disapointing.

While I previously had not just gone around defeating enemy to try to earn a LURE, all previous times my primary focus was doing a specific quest or objective... I'm not sure if that slightly improves the chance of a rare lure trader item from dropping but I felt really silly spending 2 hours just defeating enemy to come away with nothing.

Perhaps I need to refocus on doing missions primarily & if others FIND this increases the chances of find a rare trader item for a lure please let me know.

Generally however despite getting into Chult a little late (took me 3-4 weeks) before I really started to explore it there are many things I'm starting to like about Chult that is vastly refreshing from the way I felt about many earlier campaigns. I just wished Chult as a campaign would have a few odd missions rewarding a few Peridoes or Aqua's but I've said that about Epic Dungeon's for sometime.

Well I don't like the fact sometimes it takes awhile to earn a lure... I suspect if it happened more often the chance of a decent to nice reward would be less; and I'd rather be little more patient to earn the rare items. The only one thing that drives me bonker's is when those snake guys put the eye over their head and force you to run away -- cause I can see keyboards being smashed to pieces all over North America or evil the world.

Please Cryptic save our Keyboards! Or shorten the turn and run effect by 1-2 seconds so it not result in keyboard's having their life ended too premature! <3o:)