test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Paladins with Armor Penetration

yeenoghu#2009 yeenoghu Member Posts: 25 Arc User
Well then, this is both a minor rant and also some feedback.

Why does a Paladin need to build AP in order to do chult easier. I mean, armor peentration cap is higher but the fact I can have 30-40k power and I deal damage more easily and kill mobs faster is if I replace the power guild boon with AP is stupid!

I get it Cryptic! You took a famous boardgame and made it an online game but, can you at least do some things right? It's silly for a paladin, if I feel like doing something solo, to have to go ap in order to do damage (nto to mention the fact you are forcing players to ahve good guilds in order to do the more difficult areas with less difficulty). But building AP on a freaking Paladin is where things go to the, at lack of better language, retardness. A Paladin shoudl be able to do some stuff solo withotu having to go for the Orcus' set and such.

So, if things are going to be like this, can you at least get something right and allow Paladins and any class that deals radiant damage to ACTUALLY deal extra damage against undead? Because in D&D, paladins deal extra damage to undead, demons and such. So, if you are forcing tank classes to build AP in order to do stuff solo, at least balance the game.

This being said, my feedback is that game is unbalanced. Different classes should be build differently but still eb able to do stuff; not forced to go ap in roder to do stuff.

Thank you!

Comments

• rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    DCs have the same problems, other than the DPS builds, that is. So I can feel your pain, but we will adapt. As we always do.
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    As becky said. armor pen is used to neglect your opponent's armor. If they have 85% damage reduction (which they do), you will be dealing 20% of your normal damage to them (because effectiveness has a minimum cap of 20%, otherwise you would be dealing 15% of your normal damage to them).

You need 85% Resistance Ignored to ignore all of 85% Damage Resistance. If your goal is dealing damage (which it is while soloing), you need to ignore all of your opponent's resistance.

In my opinion, there are only a couple situations where you can actually ignore armor pen. All of said situations involve a class that #1 doesn't hold aggro (so that excludes tanks), #2 does almost no damage even with armor pen, and #3 is in a group with someone who does good DPS with max armor pen. If all 3 are not true, you need armor pen at the maximum for whatever area you are playing in.

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• spineskin666spineskin666 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    get some armor pen from your companion gear, i have 81% damage reduction on my pally and a lot of room to improve (radiant strike helps too)
  • dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    I dont know if you are using it but you can make your 2nd loadout as a hybrid build(My main is tank GF.Its 2nd loadout is swordmaster DPS build).Dont remove your companions or artifacts but change your gear(chestplate,arm,feet and headpiece)/paragon and boons for a better DPS build.You can even give different dice options with 2nd loadout.

You wont be a dps monster but you can still breeze through most soloable content
  • volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Paladins always need ArmPen to hold aggro. I think if they put something like "more damage to undead and demons" for Lore, the class would be too OP or unbalanced imo.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    Yea I admit I do like the suggestion though that Paladin's with Radiant Damage should do extra damage to undead, demon's and the like.

But I have really noticed the class I find the hardest to increase armor pen for is quite honestly wizard's and given how extremely squishy they are it be nice if one of their poor or less frequently choosen HE feat's should include a slight boost to Lifesteal Chance.
  • yeenoghu#2009 yeenoghu Member Posts: 25 Arc User

Paladins always need ArmPen to hold aggro. I think if they put something like "more damage to undead and demons" for Lore, the class would be too OP or unbalanced imo.

Not really. You don't always fight undead. Undead aren't a major enemy and as for the fiends (demons/devils) part, perhaps. But it would still be loyal to what paladins actually do. It's no like it could comepte with a gwf or such dealing high damage to every enemy. To be honest, bane and vow usually always did the job for me to hold aggro withotu have to be focusing on ArmPen.

There is nothing unbalanced in making a class in a MMORPG truthful to what it can do in RPG, in my opinion.
  • rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    What I would like to see is the ability to build a pally that can either tank (in party) or dsp (solo). Just let me change my load out. The pally is one of the classes I actually like in NW but OMG his grinds to a halt in campaign progression in soloing past 70.

I just want to have fun playing the game. I will throw money at you if you just allow me to enjoy my own game play.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    My main is a pally. There's no issue with armor pen, just use it. 50% Resistance Ignored for all content excluding Chult, 70% for Chult and 80% for T9G.* It's better to stack it on your companion for several reasons.

* you get an extra 5% from Radiant Strike, bringing the values up to their expected values.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User

What I would like to see is the ability to build a pally that can either tank (in party) or dsp (solo). Just let me change my load out. The pally is one of the classes I actually like in NW but OMG his grinds to a halt in campaign progression in soloing past 70.

I just want to have fun playing the game. I will throw money at you if you just allow me to enjoy my own game play.

I have an OP. Not my main but he has no problem to tank in party and no problem to solo dps. He finished all the campaigns and all boons except SKT. Actually, it is kind of fun to use OP to do solo dps. Just aggro everything and AOE them all at once. Single target is slow but it is still manageable.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • inugurlinugurl Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    I dont have any issues soloing my OP either. Even in chult, my resistence ignored is 71.6% base then I have afew things that bring it higher while in combat. I have all campaigns done except 1 and it is almost finished. Now granted I am speced to be heavier DPS but i have no problem holding aggro either.

I do so enjoy aggroing a huge mob and then just going crazy on them. Class features procing (radience) while they kill them themselves on me. My IL is 11,791.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    My goodness I certainly don't expect a Paladin to be a very high damage dealing class yet Armor Pen should likely apply to them as it does any other class. So if they want to maintain more damage to maintain or keep their threat - depending if Protection or Devotion they are going to require at least 35-45% minimum for an end game player. Likely towards the later portion of that especially if their in Chult.

▪ Update Aura of Solitude to trigger "no one in your party" so Dungeons / Skirms excluded but Campaign areas OK when alone.
    ▪ Update the animation for Sacret Weapon so it renders faster - like Rogues dislike with one of their powers.