test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CW class feature / spells rework needed

hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
One of the devs has said once (maybe 2 years ago?) that the CW is the class that has the best balance and won't be touched in the future. A lot has changed until now. CW has so many spells that are simply not relevant due to a lot of reasons.
Every damage build uses the same spells and class features, probably because the most are pretty bad. A support build is the only way of getting a small variation in builds.
I don't want to call for a whole class rework, the CW is very solid in every kind of content in my opinion. Sadly we have tons of useless spells and especially class features thats the problem I see with the class. (refered to pve content, no pvp meant)

I just want to give a short list of spells and class features that I think are useless and can't compare to others and may need a rework or looked at:

1. Orb of Imposition:
I have never noticed a difference in the duration of my control powers tbh. The calculation isn't exactly +20% if you use this feature. Together with all the cc-immune foes in endgame content I doubt that this feature finds any use. I think increasing the % would help.

2. Evocation, Sturm Fury:
Unfortunately Evocation and Sturm Fury are simply bad compared to Storm Spell. Due to the enormouse damage storm spell deals these two class features aren't a pick in any build. They simply can't compare to Storm Spell. Increasing the damage would maybe help the class feature.

3. Eye of the Storm
Eots was a very strong class feature before m6. The 100% crit chance was definetly worth to use back in days. Nowadays people do already reach the 100% crit with equipment + companions so eots isn't usefull anymore and needs a rework. Maybe change the use to a +% stat or something.

4. Arcane Power Field:
I think everyone who has ever tested this class feature can tell me that it simply does awfully damage (around 3k proc / enemy). The idea of an AoE damage class feature is great but unfortunately the damage output is a joke.

5. Frost Wave:
The problem I see with this class feature is the duration of the cc. 1 sec is like nothing. The idea is great but is not good enough to be a pick in any cw build.

6. Shard of the Endless Avalanche:
This spell was amazing once and got a place in most builds back in days. Until the cooldown was increased and damage reduced that is probably the reason why no one uses it anymore. Disintegrate has 1/3 of Shard's cooldown and does roughly a similar amount of damage (of course depending on #enemys). In my opinion the cooldown should be recuded by at least 3 seconds and the damage increased by roughly 20-25%.
Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression

Comments

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    I say just rework the oppressor tree and buff shard back to it's high skill high reward glory days. All classes have multiple garbage class features so there's no shock there.

The shard nerf makes no sense today anyway. CWs can achieve insane dps now, due to rapidly proc effects. Shard is just a one hit nuke that could hit twice depending on position. Plant growth is a lazy pop and forget attack. I'd rather have powerful attacks that require skill over this lazy dps meta.
  • gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    I agree, even for pvp.

Im not sure how many useless powers CW has compared to other classes. I can imagine that this problem isnt CW specific.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    1) Orb of Imposition works as per the tooltip, it is just that control has no place in the current meta.

2) Evocation is a decent class feature, imo it can be left as is, all that really needs to be changed is consistency with regards to what is considered AoE and what is considered single target. The gap between Evocation and Storm Spell is not as large as some may think (it is actually quite small). Storm Fury needs the condition to be changed, it is simply not feasible to expect players to remain below a certain HP threshold in a meta with so many forms of self healing, where 1 shot attacks are what players are expecting. Not sure what I would do with it, but it would definitely involve changing the condition.

3) Only bad due to current stat curves. If the devs wish to stick with linear stat curves, I would have it give critical severity, if in future they are going to go back to a system where crit chance has an effective hard cap, I would leave it as is.

4) It is hard to evaluate this class feature when it doesn't scale with a lot of buffs (doesn't even benefit from its own offhand bonus). I would fix its buff scaling before trying to rework it and see how it performs when it actually functions as intended.

5) Would probably be bad even if CC was viable in the current meta, as CW as enough sources of control without it and 1 source of control (Oppressive Force) has a longer duration than Frost Wave anyhow.

6) Would be nice.
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User

I agree, even for pvp.

Im not sure how many useless powers CW has compared to other classes. I can imagine that this problem isnt CW specific.

I can't really say much about pvp because I don't play it but sad to hear that even in PvP they don't find a use.

Useless power are definetly a huge problem. If I remember rightly every class, except CW, had smaller or huger changes to useless power in the last years. DC was even reworked how many times, 3 times?
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    From somenon that have 4 toons at almost same gear score (betwwn 12 and 13k) most of the vocations have a almost fixed set off powers these days, even if i cant change much my CW has 2 builds

GWF is a really powerfull class in PVE but it only has 4 powers and by that i mean you will always use 2 and sometimes change daring shout out if you have a GF that marks targets for you...

Is not a CW problem is for most classes and is really hard to fix it, people will serach the "best" power for each style and soon everyone will be using those same powers again... is a really hard fix
    (if is possible to fix without making all powers look the same...)
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    hastati96 said:

One of the devs has said once (maybe 2 years ago?) that the CW is the class that has the best balance and won't be touched in the future. A lot has changed until now. CW has so many spells that are simply not relevant due to a lot of reasons.
    Every damage build uses the same spells and class features, probably because the most are pretty bad. A support build is the only way of getting a small variation in builds.
    I don't want to call for a whole class rework, the CW is very solid in every kind of content in my opinion. Sadly we have tons of useless spells and especially class features thats the problem I see with the class. (refered to pve content, no pvp meant)

I just want to give a short list of spells and class features that I think are useless and can't compare to others and may need a rework or looked at:

1. Orb of Imposition:
    I have never noticed a difference in the duration of my control powers tbh. The calculation isn't exactly +20% if you use this feature. Together with all the cc-immune foes in endgame content I doubt that this feature finds any use. I think increasing the % would help.

Unfortunately Evocation and Sturm Fury are simply bad compared to Storm Spell. Due to the enormouse damage storm spell deals these two class features aren't a pick in any build. They simply can't compare to Storm Spell. Increasing the damage would maybe help the class feature.

3. Eye of the Storm
    Eots was a very strong class feature before m6. The 100% crit chance was definetly worth to use back in days. Nowadays people do already reach the 100% crit with equipment + companions so eots isn't usefull anymore and needs a rework. Maybe change the use to a +% stat or something.

4. Arcane Power Field:
    I think everyone who has ever tested this class feature can tell me that it simply does awfully damage (around 3k proc / enemy). The idea of an AoE damage class feature is great but unfortunately the damage output is a joke.

5. Frost Wave:
    The problem I see with this class feature is the duration of the cc. 1 sec is like nothing. The idea is great but is not good enough to be a pick in any cw build.

This spell was amazing once and got a place in most builds back in days. Until the cooldown was increased and damage reduced that is probably the reason why no one uses it anymore. Disintegrate has 1/3 of Shard's cooldown and does roughly a similar amount of damage (of course depending on #enemys). In my opinion the cooldown should be recuded by at least 3 seconds and the damage increased by roughly 20-25%.

frost wave is 1 second on rank 1. rank 4 is 4 seconds and if the target do not face you is 6 seconds.
    I Just gave it a try in pvp on each daily i saw enemies to walk without problem not immobilized at all.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • trieper47#8124 trieper47 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    dolrey said:

From the one hand I am absolutely agree with the author that CW is one of classes with outdated mechanics (for example GWF has same problems in my opinion). But from the other hand I have some words to add.

I think that CW is still very useful class for every team thank to his high crowd control combined with his damage. Ofcourse in the same time CW really has some skills that are relatively useless. But the real problem isn't ONLY in CW. I mean a lot of mechanics were changed and CW lost some actual instrumens which were helping him in the past.

For example as a GF I can tell that CW is one of the least dengerous classes for me in PvP (as and GWF). But not because CW is weak and not because he has low damage or something else. Just becouse some of CW's mechanics weren't changed when another important game mechanics were changed.

So, as a conclusion I would like to write that in my opinion the optimal way to solve this problem will be not only adjustment of CW's damage but also addition some absolutely new mechanics to him.

Oh for the love of god - will you PVPers STOP making suggestions about adjusting classes based only on PVP experience. Its because of you people whining and crying that GFs got nerf-neutered in 10.5 and same with DCs in 11.

As a CW I have to work and gear ultra hard and upgrade to start seeing returns on my DPS. While I'd like to do something different than CP and SS as my class features and the rotation COI - IT - SS - SP - DIS - it is what it is.

Instead of buffing the other features/powers - as well as the MOF path as I dont believe they fully get the 20% extra Crit Severity from CC and smoulder is sometimes broken - CS will nerf the above. I would not like to see that happen as I worked way too hard and too long finally seeing the DPS I been striving for. If there were alternate ways to it - Im more than happy with that for a sense of variety.

However - getting back to PVPers making suggestions on class adjustments - STOP! Just STOP! You people have been systematically ruining PVE experience due to all the nerfing borne out of you people's saltiness!
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    How about imprisonment the most useless encounter ever ... who uses this ?

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Imprisonment

we actually could use a single target lightning power instead
    as we dont have one to use with elemental empowerment / synergy with single target speced cws

we have cold./ arcane and fire single target but no lightning single target (only procs from other effects spell storm)

a very big misconception that every adjustment to a pve power is because of pvp the devs are not stupid you know

@trieper47 said
    "However - getting back to PVPers making suggestions on class adjustments - STOP! Just STOP! You people have been systematically ruining PVE experience due to all the nerfing borne out of you people's saltiness!"

so full of hampster this statement I dont even know where to start with you.. what pve player dont get salty? lol ....like you right now lol ??? so they devs dont adjust/ balance any pve powers on thier own right ?????

could easy argue the reverse that all the pve nonsence pilled on power and pve over buffs ruin pvp

if you look some of the best balance power suggestion by decent players they account for pvp and pve balance or dual use / duration .. you are the one that is salty lol

I remember reading a couple mods ago a comment from a clueless Pve Pally that they nerfed his bubble cause of pvp .. and i linked him the direct dev comment that said the exact opposite !!!!!

ignorant pve players love to use pvp players as a scape goat why thier powers or rotations suck or are weak so they can feel better about themselves

lol @ GFs got nerf-neutered in 10.5 comment omg dude really lolz

you forget all pvp players still have to do pve.... so they secretly advocate to get nerfed in pve so they can get buffed in pvp right ??? just lol dude
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    hastati96 said:

1. Orb of Imposition:

3. Eye of the Storm

4. Arcane Power Field:

5. Frost Wave:

Well I will say I'd like a bit of Control Wizard rework for some time as well. Wizard's can do decent damage but their still not as effective as Great Weapon Fighters, Scourge or Hunter Rangers. I'm also OK with that as part of the wizard's role is at least in part a support class depending on the paragon or feat path choosen but still I find many Wizard's Control or Debuff powers under rated.

While I do still use Eye of the Storm because my Crit is not even approaching 50%, it can still be relevant for many. Still my larger issue is I notice my Wizard struggles far more than my HR or even my Palladin around the same gear score cause their extremely squishy. I'd wish some of their control powers were enchanced which your post clearly attempts to address or even extending Ray of Enfeeblement to better reducing enemy damage or armor resistance more.

One thing I'd like to see to considered to address Arcane Power Field or Frost Wave a 'little bit' is to extend the time for Arcane Stacks or Chill Stacks out another .75s per rank to a maximum of 3 seconds depending the class power used being used in addition to the temporary buff given when a daily power is utilized.

1. Orb of Imposition as you suggest is rarely used by Anyone and I'd fully support this being boosted more.
    2. Evocation, Storm Fury would be NICE to see improved.
    3. Eye of the Storm I'd say can still be relevant for many lower gear score wizards <13.5k who Crit is far less
    4. Arcane Power Field is rarely if ever used, it should extend arcane stacks by .75s for each Rank or 3s at IV..
    5. Froze Wave is another that aside from daily usage buff also extend chill stacks .75s for each Rank or 3s at IV.
    6. Shard of the Endless Avalanche I think almost no one uses anymore so I agree with you cause it's a shame.

I now you didn't mention it but also Arcane Presence I'd also love to see a better focus on boosting the Arcane Damage per stack rather than cold damage. We already have Chilling Presence and if a Wizard wants to focus more on Arcane skills that should be a viable option.

<3
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    To each his own...but I LOVE playing CW.
    edited July 2017

hastati96 said:

1. Orb of Imposition:

3. Eye of the Storm

4. Arcane Power Field:

5. Frost Wave:

frost wave is 1 second on rank 1. rank 4 is 4 seconds and if the target do not face you is 6 seconds.
    I Just gave it a try in pvp on each daily i saw enemies to walk without problem not immobilized at all.
    Congratulations you discovered control resistance exists!

On topic I would say if CW features etc were modified, these are the ones that should be changed:

Orb of Imposition: Simply because it is worse than control pets.

Storm Fury: Change the condition to proc.

Frost Wave: Invent a new class feature, there is nothing about this mechanic that will ever make it good.

Arcane Power Field: Fix the bugs related to it and then we can see how it should function, before deciding what other reworks it needs.

Arcane Presence: The mechanic is kind of clunky. Due to hastening light/aura of wisdom/spell twisting the recharge speed increase is bad. The damage bonus doesn't do much since you need to have arcane powers slotted to generate arcane stacks and so it is a really small boost over all. I would either change the condition or double the damage bonus to cold powers.

Offhand bonuses:

Fix all related bugs.

What I would not change:
    1. Storm Spell
    2. Evocation
    3. Swath of Destruction
    4. Critical Conflagration
    5. Combustive Action
    What I would consider nerfing:

Chilling Presence: Would reduce to 1/2/3/4% not 2/4/6/8%. Would then buff the base damage of every CW ability by 20%. (This results in a very slight DPS increase for CWs using CP, but means that it is no longer necessary to slot CP if you want to do DPS. Currently CP is more than twice as good as its closest competitor for DPS.)

What is fine as is but could maybe be reworked:

Eye of the Storm.

I would also fix all bugs related to each feature.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited July 2017

hastati96 said:

1. Orb of Imposition:

3. Eye of the Storm

4. Arcane Power Field:

5. Frost Wave:

Congratulations you discovered control resistance exists!

On topic I would say if CW features etc were modified, these are the ones that should be changed:

Orb of Imposition: Simply because it is worse than control pets.

Storm Fury: Change the condition to proc.

Frost Wave: Invent a new class feature, there is nothing about this mechanic that will ever make it good.

Arcane Power Field: Fix the bugs related to it and then we can see how it should function, before deciding what other reworks it needs.

Arcane Presence: The mechanic is kind of clunky. Due to hastening light/aura of wisdom/spell twisting the recharge speed increase is bad. The damage bonus doesn't do much since you need to have arcane powers slotted to generate arcane stacks and so it is a really small boost over all. I would either change the condition or double the damage bonus to cold powers.

Offhand bonuses:

Fix all related bugs.

What I would not change:
    1. Storm Spell
    2. Evocation
    3. Swath of Destruction
    4. Critical Conflagration
    5. Combustive Action
    What I would consider nerfing:

Chilling Presence

What is fine as is but could maybe be reworked:

Eye of the Storm.

I would also fix all bugs related to each feature.
    devs need to discover cc resistance exists not me:P i saw sowhere something about diminishing cc returns ( sorry again for off topic).
    ON topic arcane presence: disintegrate is enough i think to build arcane stack pretty fast to get advantage of this feature.
    A spellstorm mage can remove the storm spell vs a boss in exchange for more boost on cold powers?
    Can storm spell have the same proc rates with single target encounters to make it superior to arcane presence vs a boss?

About recharge speed even better even if you have spell twisting and hastening light and aura of wisdom. That means you pay lesser attention to cast an att will to consume a spell twisting stack and you focus to cast more hard hit encounters due the increased recharge speed.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on
    edited July 2017
    etelgrin said:

I love how PvE people are saying that Orb of Imposition is weaker than control pets and nobody use it, this is a change I would like to see in PvP, exactly - nobody use it :wink:

@etelgrin they use it due to the feat for Orb which is bugged and gives much more CC than the tooltip states. (The feat for orb gives more CC than the class feature itself lol.)
    etelgrin said:

etelgrin said:

I love how PvE people are saying that Orb of Imposition is weaker than control pets and nobody use it, this is a change I would like to see in PvP, exactly - nobody use it :wink:

@etelgrin they use it due to the feat for Orb which is bugged and gives much more CC than the tooltip states. (The feat for orb gives more CC than the class feature itself lol.)
    its like hydra my friend, you try to fix one thing, two broken things appear instead.

Sorry for offtopic, @thefabricant

BTW. speaking of bug, I rushed my alt CW through some quicky weeklies last week and he's running on MoF supporter build (suitable for being an alt a rene mof), and I noticed when I cast daily (slotted swath+combustive passives) I also debuff myself, is it display bug or I actually really debuff everything with it?
    It is an actual bug @etelgrin, I reported it sometime last year and they haven't fixed it yet but you are actually debuffing yourself.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Well I certainly do think Control Wizard's could use a 'few' buffs at least so some powers & mechanics along with slightly longer arcane stacks and fixing several broken mechanics or feat's that are not working correctly.

MoF Renegade can actually debuff itself and Oppressor doesn't always seem to add the extra chill stacks for it's Sudden Storm as it should along with a few others... All wizard's would also be well served if Arcane Stacks were extended by 1-2s to the base mechanic before being required to refresh.

Then with 2 of the class powers at 60+: One for Arcane and the other for Chill each should also further extend the length of Arcane or Chill stacks another .5-2s depending on which class power is chosen. <3

Wizard's have too many class powers that most don't use because their aren't enough benefit's to aid them in their fight. I've long believed Wizard's need a 'slight' boost. While I still hope their day is coming I'm at least glad Cleric's finally after the 2nd or 3rd attempt finally got a real increase after several reviews.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    strathkin said:

Wizard's have too many class powers that most don't use because their aren't enough benefit's to aid them in their fight. I've long believed Wizard's need a 'slight' boost. While I still hope their day is coming I'm at least glad Cleric's finally after the 2nd or 3rd attempt finally got a real increase after several reviews.

Yeah I think the same. CWs were top tier M1-M5 but sadly we didn't get any love from the devs since then. Definetly time that they have a look on the class :/ MoF simply can't compare to a DC
    edited July 2017
    Tbh I would just really like the class to play differently. CW has, for the most part, played exactly the same since mod 4. Sure, we swapped EotS with CP and now have disintegrate, but gameplay has largely been the same now for going on 8 mods and change would be really nice.

I would like to see something like this again for the CW class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUmvfskIT0s

I am sure at this point, most people playing the game looking at this video have no idea what they are seeing. (Ignore the fact that it is from a DC PoV, you can sort of see what the CWs are doing since there are 3 of them.) Yes, it is a Control Wizard, not a Proc Wizard, which we have been ever since.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    CW was the most fun to play when we would stack recovery to the ceiling, as well as the mobs, and push them into the nether.
    edited July 2017

Tbh I would just really like the class to play differently. CW has, for the most part, played exactly the same since mod 4. Sure, we swapped EotS with CP and now have disintegrate, but gameplay has largely been the same now for going on 8 mods and change would be really nice.

I would like to see something like this again for the CW class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUmvfskIT0s

I am sure at this point, most people playing the game looking at this video have no idea what they are seeing. (Ignore the fact that it is from a DC PoV, you can sort of see what the CWs are doing since there are 3 of them.) Yes, it is a Control Wizard, not a Proc Wizard, which we have been ever since.

I totally agree on this point. Dracolich was the last boss where we could be a CONTROL wizard. At release of the game there were adds in every endgame content that needed to be handled by a CW. Nowadays in bossfights we fit in the role of a not needed crowd controller which is not what CW was made for. CW has never been meant to be a DPS class which we are currently put in but sadly that is our only thing we can do in a single target bossfight. no adds means nothing to control
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    What about new dungeon tomb? Same bossfights or do we have adds at bossfights?
    And why do we have so many CC immun mobs?
    Funyn video ^^. Reminds me to the "good" ole times where my TR was used to stealth from campfire to campfire and only thing you needed was enough CWs with Singu and repell. Wasnt that a exploit to push the adds over this edge?
    But check how long the bossfight was :):) Now you can make a whole dungeon in this time. I loved the old CN.
    And i loved the fact that a CW could CC mobs. Why did they change that?

spideymt said:

What about new dungeon tomb? Same bossfights or do we have adds at bossfights?
    And why do we have so many CC immun mobs?

@spideymt the bosses have adds but they are non threatening. The first boss just has random zombies that you can completely ignore, the 2nd boss has 2 giant skeletons which also don't do much. The last boss the adds are almost threatening but not quite.
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User

@spideymt the bosses have adds but they are non threatening. The first boss just has random zombies that you can completely ignore, the 2nd boss has 2 giant skeletons which also don't do much. The last boss the adds are almost threatening but not quite.

What lame bossfight.... do you remember throne of idris at the beginning? Man....i loved this fight where you have to watch about boss AND adds.
    Or karrundax....or frozen heart or all the other old dungeons. Every boss got adds and you have be very carefull. Now? It looks like " OK. Enough buff / debuff in group? Just burn the boss down!" except SP...there some mechanics but easy ...where are the old good mechanics?

• lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I miss the boss fights where there were more than 2 roles to play (debuff/buff & DPS).

Bring back adds that need controlling and add an extra tier of dungeons normal, epic and effin freaking hard
    edited July 2017
    @nitocris83
    @asterdahl
    Any chance that devs will have a look on the CW class? :)