test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Merchant Prince Lockbox

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
edited July 2017 in News & Announcements
Official discussion thread for the upcoming Lockbox Developer Blog!
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Notable: Chance at preservation and coalescent wards, which have not been in lockboxes since very early days. Coalescent was Nightmare only, iirc. I watched a video of someone opening a quantity of Resurgence boxes on preview, which are updated with the new enchant packs and etc. The drop rate on the Cwards is significantly lower than weapon and armor enchants, but even so serves to get a few more of these items in circulation without buying them directly.

Very notable: No green insignias.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    the box looks interesting. Glad I have been saving my keys for the last 50 days or so.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • baeyornbaeyorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    adinosii said:

the box looks interesting. Glad I have been saving my keys for the last 50 days or so.

between coupons for 40% off on keys and a vip extension for 30 days/50 keys.. I am approachign 100 keys. Hope I get a T-Rex, but maybe I can at least glomm a dino pet of some flavor.

B)

• nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    Hi @nitocris83 , the new T-Rex (warpainted) looks ultra cool and amazing, but isn't it a bit too small for being a T-Rex?

Maybe it should not be as big as the PVE T-Rex we need to hunt, but I don't think it should be as tiny as a Miniature Giant Space Warpainted T-Rex.

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    I would like to see a Legendary mount hit the Zen market and placing a variant of the T-Rex in the market with 2K Arm Pen and 2K Crit for $50 would be an excellent move by Cryptic IMO. I know I would drop that money down for that mount regardless of what the combat power would be.

It is high time to add Legendary mounts to the Zen market.

• jappethebreadjappethebread Member Posts: 82 Arc User

I would like to see a Legendary mount hit the Zen market and placing a variant of the T-Rex in the market with 2K Arm Pen and 2K Crit for $50 would be an excellent move by Cryptic IMO. I know I would drop that money down for that mount regardless of what the combat power would be.

Yeah umm... No. The AD market is already too messed up because of the two massive 50% off sales and then a key sale to follow and also the jubilee, superior marks discounted, tradebar store discounted...

The legendary mounts have come down half in price during the summer. You can buy a Celestial Stag for 3 million AD today whereas the cheapest legendary mount was about 7-8 million before all this summer craziness happened.

There really is no need to bring a legendary mount to ZEN market. If you want to spend ZEN on a legendary mount then exchange that to AD. With 5000 ZEN you get about 1.5 million AD. So 10000 ZEN for a Celestial Stag.

Even if they ever bring a legendary mount to ZEN market then it needs to be per character. There's no way you could get that for all of your characters with the one buying price.

The legendary drops are what keeps people buying enchanted keys to open lockboxes. If their value comes down even more then why would anyone open anymore lockboxes? They would shoot themselves in the leg by putting a legendary mount to ZEN market.

Your $50 you would spend for a legendary mount ONCE is nothing compared to people who spend $50 in keys weekly. Some people even more.

The only reason I could see a legendary mount appearing in ZEN market is if they bring a Mythic mount to lockboxes.
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User

Yeah umm... No. The AD market is already too messed up because of the two massive 50% off sales and then a key sale to follow and also the jubilee, superior marks discounted, tradebar store discounted...

The legendary mounts have come down half in price during the summer. You can buy a Celestial Stag for 3 million AD today whereas the cheapest legendary mount was about 7-8 million before all this summer craziness happened.

There really is no need to bring a legendary mount to ZEN market. If you want to spend ZEN on a legendary mount then exchange that to AD. With 5000 ZEN you get about 1.5 million AD. So 10000 ZEN for a Celestial Stag.

Even if they ever bring a legendary mount to ZEN market then it needs to be per character. There's no way you could get that for all of your characters with the one buying price.

The legendary drops are what keeps people buying enchanted keys to open lockboxes. If their value comes down even more then why would anyone open anymore lockboxes? They would shoot themselves in the leg by putting a legendary mount to ZEN market.

Your $50 you would spend for a legendary mount ONCE is nothing compared to people who spend $50 in keys weekly. Some people even more.

The only reason I could see a legendary mount appearing in ZEN market is if they bring a Mythic mount to lockboxes.

Once upon a time, the only difference between a Legendary mount and an Epic mount was the skin.

Epic mounts were available in the Zen-store, so by your logic, nobody bought keys back then...

You could not be more wrong, however, this discussion has been had countless times, so I won't bother elaborating any further...
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

Once upon a time, the only difference between a Legendary mount and an Epic mount was the skin.

Epic mounts were available in the Zen-store, so by your logic, nobody bought keys back then...

You could not be more wrong, however, this discussion has been had countless times, so I won't bother elaborating any further...
    Once upon a time, there were no legendary mounts at all and you could still buy epic mounts in the Zen store, and by this logic nobody bought keys then either.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

I bought keys when the Nightmare lockbox was out. Couldn't get that Heavy Inferno Nightmare from the Zen market. Although you could sell the enchanted keys in the auction house back then so that's also why I bought them. Kept buying them in packs of 10 where you get basically one for free. Sold the other 9 in AH and repeated.

The game changes in time. Economy changes. I never claimed it has been like this since the game was in beta. I was talking about the game as it is right now. There's been a LOT of changes that have affected the economics. Enchanted keys being bound to account, coalescent wards being taken off of the tradebar store...

What do you think generates the most income for the company? That's right. Keys.
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User

I bought keys when the Nightmare lockbox was out. Couldn't get that Heavy Inferno Nightmare from the Zen market. Although you could sell the enchanted keys in the auction house back then so that's also why I bought them. Kept buying them in packs of 10 where you get basically one for free. Sold the other 9 in AH and repeated.

The game changes in time. Economy changes. I never claimed it has been like this since the game was in beta. I was talking about the game as it is right now. There's been a LOT of changes that have affected the economics. Enchanted keys being bound to account, coalescent wards being taken off of the tradebar store...

What do you think generates the most income for the company? That's right. Keys.

And that's what would continue to generate the most revenue, even with Legendary mounts in Zen-store...

If the Celestial Stag was available in Zen-store for 10k Zen, do you think that would keep people from buying keys and hoping they'll pull a Warpainted T-rex, or Legendary Glorious Resurgence pack?

The answer is no, it would hardly put the mildest of dents in the sale of keys, and most likely bring in a healthy amount of Zen from those that want a Legendary mount for all of their alts...
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    If the target is so unfortunate as to be a minion, your Tyrannosaurus will flip them into the air and devour them!

OMG. I wouldn't want to be a redcap :neutral:
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    > @mightyeriksson said:
    > Once upon a time, the only difference between a Legendary mount and an Epic mount was the skin.
    >
    >
    > Epic mounts were available in the Zen-store, so by your logic, nobody bought keys back then...
    >
    >
    > You could not be more wrong, however, this discussion has been had countless times, so I won't bother elaborating any further...
    >
    > I bought keys when the Nightmare lockbox was out. Couldn't get that Heavy Inferno Nightmare from the Zen market. Although you could sell the enchanted keys in the auction house back then so that's also why I bought them. Kept buying them in packs of 10 where you get basically one for free. Sold the other 9 in AH and repeated.
    >
    > The game changes in time. Economy changes. I never claimed it has been like this since the game was in beta. I was talking about the game as it is right now. There's been a LOT of changes that have affected the economics. Enchanted keys being bound to account, coalescent wards being taken off of the tradebar store...
    >
    > What do you think generates the most income for the company? That's right. Keys.
    >
    >
    > And that's what would continue to generate the most revenue, even with Legendary mounts in Zen-store...
    >
    >
    > If the Celestial Stag was available in Zen-store for 10k Zen, do you think that would keep people from buying keys and hoping they'll pull a Warpainted T-rex, or Legendary Glorious Resurgence pack?
    >
    >
    > The answer is no, it would hardly put the mildest of dents in the sale of keys, and most likely bring in a healthy amount of Zen from those that want a Legendary mount for all of their alts...

Paying 10k zen for a legendary mount for all your characters just won't happen. Some people only want the speed and they don't care which skin the mount has. A Stag for 10k zen would be a bargain for all those people. If it would be like companions that you have to buy them separately for each character then I could see a legendary mount in zen market. But not cheaper than 10k.
  • araxelvenaraxelven Member Posts: 72 Arc User

And that's what would continue to generate the most revenue, even with Legendary mounts in Zen-store...

If the Celestial Stag was available in Zen-store for 10k Zen, do you think that would keep people from buying keys and hoping they'll pull a Warpainted T-rex, or Legendary Glorious Resurgence pack?

The answer is no, it would hardly put the mildest of dents in the sale of keys, and most likely bring in a healthy amount of Zen from those that want a Legendary mount for all of their alts...
    Just no.

I really like that there's at least something that people can't just buy their way into (at least for a reasonable sum).
  • araxelvenaraxelven Member Posts: 72 Arc User

araxelven said:

Just no.

I really like that there's at least something that people can't just buy their way into (at least for a reasonable sum).
    Are you f'n kidding? The only way to obtain a legendary mount, ultimately, is to spend a lot of RL cash or a lot of ground out AD.

Think how much more fun you could have if you... gasp!... didn't need to grind so much f'n AD for a QoL upgrade.
    So?

I'm not even considering people spending cash to buy keys to get the mount. I know people do that but... I don't think that's wise and they might as well convert Zen to AD and just buy the box then. I've tested a few of the mounts recently and it's far from being a gamebreaker and even the QoL benefit is overstated IMO.

It's a status thing and that's fine. If you make them easily available they are just going to introduce something else to grind for, so better get ready for your mythic flying catamaran so they get get all the Disc owners to lust for something new.
  • sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    as much as i agree on no ledgendary mount in cn market..... if they did that i think there should be a replacement of a mythic mount in the lockboxes.... point taken if ledge mount was put in zen keys would decrease in value as well as the urge to evn open a lockbox. that being said... keys would still get bought a boxes would still get opened for the other items they can contain tho the grind would deminish i think to open boxes or obtain keys. point being ledgendary mount of any kinda in zen market would be costly to the game evn if only in a barely noticeable degree..... loseing money is still loseing money.
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    Legendary Mounts in ZEN Market? Why not? If this gives PW the money to give us back a bug free game with no client crashes and a good content, i will spend some bucks for a legendary mount.

• gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Lets be honest. The only reason why poples are opening lockboxes this days is a chance for a legendary mount. Previously you could hunt for artifacts, comapnions or even epic mounts. But since all content of old lockboxes was put to the drop list, none of those items are either hard to get or expensive as them used to be. I got pretty few artifacts, companions and mounts from runnig dungeons already. Including heavy spider from Hero of the North pack. AH is already flooded with all items you could want, for prices as low as never before. Thats the fact. On the other heand the average lockbox drop is almost always not worth a regular key price in ZEN. Even the cheapset keys you get from VIP do not guarantee that you gona get back enaugh AD back to buy another VIP month (since you can get 2 green insignias out of it, or similar nearly worthless HAMSTER).

So in general lockboxes are not giving any resonable profits any more. Unelss you gona hit a high prize - legendary mounts. Speking of witch - their price is keep droping. 30KK AD for a tenser is a history now. You can get one from glorious pack for a half ot that price.

So putting legendary, account wide mounts to the ZEN store would be a huge mistake. Mostly becouse it would be one time purchase for a player. That would also put legendary mounts price to drop even further, and along with that, a players chance to get them for sale to cover their other needs.

If lockboxes stop giving you a chance to get some items that you cant get from any other source, there would be absolutely no point to open them any more.
  • sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    again ledge mounts in zen market would be a bad idea cost wise for the devs.... it would impact one of their sole profits from the game(keys) if evn only by a small margin.... not to be said that keys wouldnt still get bought for boxes to be opend to get other content or evn other ledge mounts wit the powers the player ACTUALLY wants but still... profit loss is profit loss whether big or small.