test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the best class for PVE

martinoaq#4505 martinoaq Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Im having a problem, I started with a TR, now finished my SW, SW seems to work but im still low on gear.

I also made a HR but that one is lvl 15 so i dont know if it is good.

Can someone explain what the best PVE class is, mostly for DPS because i dont like healing.

Also if you have a SW, what is the best move set im a hellbringer fury

Ty

And if you have time what is the best class on pvp

Comments

• blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    Well you went with TR and SW, those 2 classes have the lowest damage output currently. GWF and HR have the highest damage, many of HR abilities dont work as stated in tooltips but once u figure out how they work the class is very capable. GF can probably keep up with those 2 while being a tank class and can do all except healing(i guess). CW is nice class, probably the one with highest number of viable builds. OP is a more support version of tank class compared to GF and is less capable in offense.

My main is TR, i played a bit with GF and GWF and tried only a bit rest of the classes so thats my first impression of them. Dont take this too seriously and play what you like, i could be wrong about what i wrote but im quite sure that TR and SW are having a hard time currently.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    In PvE all classes are good for DPS (exception goes to Heal Paladin/Heal DC/Tank based GF), shoud you put in the time, effort, and gear in. Pick the one which has your favorite style/theme, although just know that some have a little more versatility than others when it comes to seeking other roles (ex: CW can go debuffer/DPS buff hybrid/pure DPS, whereas TR is stuck on DPS only).

Just don't be some people and blame their lack of DPS on poor build/knowledge.

• xinexixxinexix Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    Top dps currently is HR. You will know if you're playing it right if your topping paingiver with a group of similarly geared dps.

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Best class for PvE is whichever one you want to play.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    The problem is that even if there is a definitive best pve class now, the game has changed what was considered best many times over, its safe to say this will continue to happen. So pick any of the dps looking classes that most appeals to you, because I assume that you decided to play the game because of roleplaying, and not to do raw number crunching all the time to determine what you "should play" (as some argue).

I have to add that for whatever class, and for the path within that class you prefer to play, there are obviously better and worse ways to play any of these. You will find guides for almost all of these, and they can provide you with better understanding how to boost your own dps and also how to boost the party as whole.
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    xinexix said:

Top dps currently is HR. You will know if you're playing it right if your topping paingiver with a group of similarly geared dps.

Nop. Only if you got some nice Dot classes in the group with that HR ( mostly its enough to have an TR in a group with an HR).
    But under "normal" circumstances the top DPS class isnt the HR.
    To be clear: This is not meant as offense. Its just my opinion from my exp i made in much runs in FBI/MSP.
    And to be clear again: Those discussions are ...dunno how to say it...dumb. You can have the best class and the best gear, but you can still be a bad dps if you dont know how you play this char. Just play and have fun. Dont make a decission because you wanna be number 1 in paingiver. Thats lame.
    For example: I can ride everyday on my bycicle for 10 years, but that doesnt mean i can win the tour de france after theese 10 years. There is much more to make :D

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    I will state this, Paingiver chart is there for ego stroking if you need that.

I find content gets significantly easier when I swap from a DPS CW build to a Buffing CW. Got stuck on the Turtle in FBI and I swapped over to my CW buffer and we beat it no problem. Same can be said of other runs where things were not working and going from full on DPS to buffer we beat content just fine.

IMO best class(es) in NW are those that offer buffing to groups.

Temp Warlock, Renegade Wizard, Cleric, Tactician Guardian Fighter, Hunter Ranger Pathfinder Trapper build and Paladin.

If you want a selfish DPS class that only does damage and does not offer group buffing, than go Great Weapon Fighter.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

I find content gets significantly easier when I swap from a DPS CW build to a Buffing CW. Got stuck on the Turtle in FBI and I swapped over to my CW buffer and we beat it no problem. Same can be said of other runs where things were not working and going from full on DPS to buffer we beat content just fine.

Temp Warlock, Renegade Wizard, Cleric, Tactician Guardian Fighter, Hunter Ranger Pathfinder Trapper build and Paladin.

If you want a selfish DPS class that only does damage and does not offer group buffing, than go Great Weapon Fighter.

*Trickster Rogue, GWF's at least bring Battle Fury. (Prepares for demotion from @micky1p00 in 3...2....1.)
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Distracting knives! ;)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    edited July 2017

*Trickster Rogue, GWF's at least bring Battle Fury. (Prepares for demotion from @micky1p00 in 3...2....1.)

And we got a con artist :)

@mebengalsfan#9264 :Bad GWFs...they only do damage... thats lame. We got so many bosses in NW you can debuff and buff to death. We dont need any dps. Lets make a poll to delete this selfish class.

But how many GWF run with Battle Fury? Seriously, all GWF I talk to run with Daring Shout not Battle Fury.

From what I was told, that would be a DPS lose for a GWF and they cannot have that in a run. Who cares if you help the tank get AP quicker to ensure they can use Fighter Recovery to stay alive or help the DC get more AA off, or buff the group damage by 5%.

One GWF was telling me Weapon Master strike was a buff for the group, I'm like read it again buddy. That is for your own attacks At Wills and not the group. I'm not sure about the debuff but if it does reduce the damage for the group you are helping out the tank at least.

So out of all the At-Wills, Dailies, Personals, and Encounters the GWF two things to buff or debuff and help the group complete content quicker. Same can be said of the TR. They also have two things for buffing/debuffing the group.

So these two classes are clearly selfish DPS with little to offer groups. Nothing wrong with this design it just that when a GWF states, you DPS stinks and you are running the buffing build, they have little to no understanding of how much I buffed their damage when I run my CW as a buffer and I hear this quite often when I run FBI. I'm not there to be top, I'm there to complete content and find my buffer build helps achieve that more than a full on DPS build.
  • ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    You know a few GWF's that run battle fury :) When they say "are you marking?" if the answer is yes then they are swapping to battle fury. Pretty much all of the main GWF's in our guild do that.

As for the TR debuffs - you know I tried to run a debuff/bleed TR... true things went faster mid game but her damage is so bad that she never gets play time, and the debuffs that the TR does don't really help at end game as much as if they were a straight DPS build and just flat out did more damage.

HOWEVER

I do have an issue with the fact that they made the GWF the toon that can literally do everything. They have massive melee damage, aoe damage, ranged damage (daggers WTF), they can off tank, become invincible, and with enough life steal they can't die. They were given they keys to everything and they are TOO good at it. The key is if you make everything available to a character then they shouldn't be the best at any of it, that is supposed to be the trade off. Jack of all Trades master of none.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

ravenskya said:

You know a few GWF's that run battle fury :) When they say "are you marking?" if the answer is yes then they are swapping to battle fury. Pretty much all of the main GWF's in our guild do that.

As for the TR debuffs - you know I tried to run a debuff/bleed TR... true things went faster mid game but her damage is so bad that she never gets play time, and the debuffs that the TR does don't really help at end game as much as if they were a straight DPS build and just flat out did more damage.

HOWEVER

I do have an issue with the fact that they made the GWF the toon that can literally do everything. They have massive melee damage, aoe damage, ranged damage (daggers WTF), they can off tank, become invincible, and with enough life steal they can't die. They were given they keys to everything and they are TOO good at it. The key is if you make everything available to a character then they shouldn't be the best at any of it, that is supposed to be the trade off. Jack of all Trades master of none.

GWF are not jack of all trades master of none. Back when Orcus was a good challenge, most GWF when the tank went down would do a random dagger and that was it. Now compare that to a CW, HR, or SW that can quickly go all out range and stay away from Orcus 1 shots.

In FBI, typically the GWF are why the Turtle gets its buff and makes the Turtle harder than it should be. I ran with a full range group and the turtle got zero buffs.

GWF has there flaws but they are definitely IMO to strong as a DPS. The buffs they have are self focused other than Battle Fury.

But than again, if you are setup to be a top DPS, you are more than likely forgoing buffs for self buffing damage and I see that with my CW SS Thaum build that has zero group buffs.

I am not asking for the GWF top DPS build to be removed. I would like to see an update to TR and GWF paragon paths to allow them to provide more group buffs. Maybe make IronVanguard more a buffing GWF and the same with TR Whisper Knife.

This way it gives GWF more flexibility in how they can play their character, because ATM, there is only one GWF build for PVE. Whereas my DC, GF, and CW all have 3-4 builds I can use for PVE content.

• kydavi#1678 kydavi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Much of this thread has been about who does the most damage as though DPS is the end all of PVE; DPS may drive the car, but support is the fuel that runs it. Without healers, buffer, or tanks nothing would get done and all parties would be TPK'd.

In other words, I'm saying don't get on the crazy train and think that there is one way to 'play the game right'. For all four classes that I run (HR, GF, DC, and CW) I have a DPS-focused solo build and a team-focused buff/debuff build and I have a great time being successful with all of them. Find what is fun for you that plays well and run with it.
    kydavi

Main: Nidara Devilspawn- Ranger
    Alt: Aradin Coldblood- Fighter
    Alt: Lucrezia Vileborn- Warlock
    edited July 2017
    ravenskya said:

I do have an issue with the fact that they made the GWF the toon that can literally do everything. They have massive melee damage, aoe damage, ranged damage (daggers WTF), they can off tank, become invincible, and with enough life steal they can't die.

Send me this GWF build plz. I got an 16k GWF but i never saw theese abilities at once at my class. So send me the right build. I think i played my GWF totally wrong all the time.

P.S.: I do have an issue with ppl telling some BS about other classes. No offense, just saying my opinion about issues.

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    ravenskya said:

kekekekekekekeke

Say that to a certain GWF and he'll say that exactly about the GF.

Even though it's quite a farce to say that all GFs are Conqueror, amirite?

(Although, you know what they say about broken clocks: they're right twice at day...)

rjc9000 said:

ravenskya said:

kekekekekekekeke

Say that to a certain GWF and he'll say that exactly about the GF.

Even though it's quite a farce to say that all GFs are Conqueror, amirite?

(Although, you know what they say about broken clocks: they're right twice at day...)
    With loadouts we now have options to modify out build before we run content.

For instance my GF has two setups. One is a Buffer and the other is more DPS focused. Though both can tank all content I prefer to run Tac when the group is weaker to allow them to get more damage out from AP and Crushing PIN and when the group is stronger I run Conq simply because I can.

Same with my CW. I run my buffer in FBI but in other dungeons I typically run a SS Thaum / Ren build.

My DC I usually run DO now due to how good it is in group content.
    spideymt said:

ravenskya said:

I do have an issue with the fact that they made the GWF the toon that can literally do everything. They have massive melee damage, aoe damage, ranged damage (daggers WTF), they can off tank, become invincible, and with enough life steal they can't die.

Send me this GWF build plz. I got an 16k GWF but i never saw theese abilities at once at my class. So send me the right build. I think i played my GWF totally wrong all the time.

P.S.: I do have an issue with ppl telling some BS about other classes. No offense, just saying my opinion about issues.
    I don't have the build with me (at work) - they can't do all of it at once, but these are all options available to them.
    You have to agree on single target damage
    Their sweeping attacks to take out trash are an aoe centered on the GWF
    Their unstoppable makes them invincible
    Their daggers are ranged - the GWF's I've played with claim to do in excess of 100k damage with dagger throws.
    Up until extreme top end content - most can tank as well, using their damage dealt to control threat.

I'm not thinking in terms of pvp because I avoid that like the plague.
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

ravenskya said:

spideymt said:

ravenskya said:

I don't have the build with me (at work) - they can't do all of it at once, but these are all options available to them.
    You have to agree on single target damage
    Their sweeping attacks to take out trash are an aoe centered on the GWF
    Their unstoppable makes them invincible
    Their daggers are ranged - the GWF's I've played with claim to do in excess of 100k damage with dagger throws.
    Up until extreme top end content - most can tank as well, using their damage dealt to control threat.

I'm not thinking in terms of pvp because I avoid that like the plague.
    A well built GF can DPS, tank, self heal and provide group buffing.

They have a AoE range attack and like GWF they can do high single target damage and do high AoE damage with at wills. A well built GF needs no healer. A class that is a Jack of Trades as well.

Any class when built right can almost achieve the Jack of All trade tag. A AC DC can almost tank when using Anointed Armor as a personal with guild boon for defense and get a decent deflect from Silvery enchantments. This along with their buffing abilities and if built with some good offensive stats can DPS as well. This class is also all range but being close up has little impact.

Like I stated, I don't want to take away what they have setup as BiS for their DPS setup. What I would like to see is one of the paragon feat path modified so that the GWF is a group buffer along with a change to a daily, at will and one personal to add additional group buffing to allow a GWF to be a DPS/Tank (yeah I know they don't tank) with the possibility of adding buffs to the group.

My issue really isn't with any particular class - my issue is the direction that allows most of the classes to be all things in the end - monstrous self healing, damage dealing tanks that steamroll through everything rather than having them specialize more and more as they get stronger and becoming more powerful in a specific area. It's just a personal gripe about the direction of the end game rather than a desire to have anything nerfed.

ravenskya said:

Their unstoppable makes them invincible.

erm...no. I see you know the GWF very well.

spideymt said:

ravenskya said:

Their unstoppable makes them invincible.

erm...no. I see you know the GWF very well.
    I know it doesn't make them truly invincible.

• khandran#2092 khandran Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I'd give GWF or GF a shot. The first one is relatively easy to play and fun and dishes out massive damage in PvE. If you want more versatility in what you are able to do, including dish out lots of DPS if you spec correctly, then do GF. Also something to consider: if you choose to go GF as a tank, you will ALWAYS be in demand in parties. Want to go PvP? Most would agree that, weirdly enough, GFs are also versatile with massive burst and lots of defenses and buffs. Not sure how long this will last though.
    edited July 2017
    ravenskya said:

My friend, you dont know a lot of things. The only thing you "know" is how to blame another classes.

• hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    To stay on the real topic there is no real "best" class imo. Tanks and healers are always needed so picking DC / GF / Pala you will always find a spot in groups. All the other classes also have a use in endgame content so I can suggest picking the class you enjoy playing the most.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
    spideymt said:

ravenskya said:

My friend, you dont know a lot of things. The only thing you "know" is how to blame another classes.
    Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean? I'm not blaming any class for anything. Did you actually read my previous post or are you just nit-picking words here and there?

spideymt said:

ravenskya said:

Here @spideymt

These are the actual words of the post I made above - since you don't seem to be able to scroll up:

"My issue really isn't with any particular class - my issue is the direction that allows most of the classes to be all things in the end - monstrous self healing, damage dealing tanks that steamroll through everything rather than having them specialize more and more as they get stronger and becoming more powerful in a specific area. It's just a personal gripe about the direction of the end game rather than a desire to have anything nerfed. "

Please read those words and tell me how I'm blaming any class? My issue is with the fact that they all in the end become the same.

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited July 2017

But how many GWF run with Battle Fury? Seriously, all GWF I talk to run with Daring Shout not Battle Fury.

From what I was told, that would be a DPS lose for a GWF and they cannot have that in a run. Who cares if you help the tank get AP quicker to ensure they can use Fighter Recovery to stay alive or help the DC get more AA off, or buff the group damage by 5%.

One GWF was telling me Weapon Master strike was a buff for the group, I'm like read it again buddy. That is for your own attacks At Wills and not the group. I'm not sure about the debuff but if it does reduce the damage for the group you are helping out the tank at least.

So out of all the At-Wills, Dailies, Personals, and Encounters the GWF two things to buff or debuff and help the group complete content quicker. Same can be said of the TR. They also have two things for buffing/debuffing the group.

So these two classes are clearly selfish DPS with little to offer groups. Nothing wrong with this design it just that when a GWF states, you DPS stinks and you are running the buffing build, they have little to no understanding of how much I buffed their damage when I run my CW as a buffer and I hear this quite often when I run FBI. I'm not there to be top, I'm there to complete content and find my buffer build helps achieve that more than a full on DPS build.

Battle fury refil the stamina regen for teamates by 25% of the stamina refil buff.
    The first setence has a "." and is only for the great weapon fighter. Then follows the text including the teamates.
    SO a great weapon fighter adds to the team
    1: a 25% stamina refil
    2: combat advantage condition with mark ( if you dont have a guardian)
    3: threat through damage since is very strong damage dealer which means can offtank has and the defence for it ( and if need help for team for this role heals/protections etc i dont find it bad like a gf alone he can tank all the mobs in spellplague or the bosses?)

and 4 : All classes can do good job and there is no selfish class but there are selfish poeple instead.
    thanks.

This discussion has been closed.