test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Make Unstoppable a Tab Shield

nickjdowenickjdowe Member Posts: 158 Arc User
I've brought this up before and I see some others have agreed and stated similar ideas. I'm hoping this gains some traction amongst the proper channels by posting it here in the GWF community.

My suggestion is that we make the Unstoppable feature a "tab" shield, much like the GF, OP, CW secondary shields. A 2nd layer of mitigation. Keeping the same numbers as the base ability 35% as a Destroyer or Intimidation 60-80% for Sentinel. This would be a great benefit for the class and bring back the long dead Sentinel path. It would benefit our class in PvP as well. I'm not trying to suggest a 3rd Tank Class, just adding a feature that seems like a better game mechanic for the Unstoppable class feature. With DR buffs being so easily obtained, the DR gained from going Unstoppable is pretty negligible. More so if you're using Countless Scars, Trans Negation and Heroic feats. It doesn't have a constant uptime, so a 35% unmitigated shield for 8 seconds wouldn't be game breaking as a Destroyer (yes a destroyer can chain unstoppable thanks to the end cap) and 60-80% for a Sentinel because the path can not chain Unstoppable.

By creating this new need to build Determination in order to get your shield back faster, powers like Roar, Steadfast Determination, and others associated with building determination would be viable options. Without having to conduct a huge rebalancing of feats, paths, and powers, this simple change could be a nice first step to providing new options for the class.

Comments

• Options
    dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    nickjdowe said:

I've brought this up before and I see some others have agreed and stated similar ideas. I'm hoping this gains some traction amongst the proper channels by posting it here in the GWF community.

My suggestion is that we make the Unstoppable feature a "tab" shield, much like the GF, OP, CW secondary shields. A 2nd layer of mitigation. Keeping the same numbers as the base ability 35% as a Destroyer or Intimidation 60-80% for Sentinel. This would be a great benefit for the class and bring back the long dead Sentinel path. It would benefit our class in PvP as well. I'm not trying to suggest a 3rd Tank Class, just adding a feature that seems like a better game mechanic for the Unstoppable class feature. With DR buffs being so easily obtained, the DR gained from going Unstoppable is pretty negligible. More so if you're using Countless Scars, Trans Negation and Heroic feats. It doesn't have a constant uptime, so a 35% unmitigated shield for 8 seconds wouldn't be game breaking as a Destroyer (yes a destroyer can chain unstoppable thanks to the end cap) and 60-80% for a Sentinel because the path can not chain Unstoppable.

By creating this new need to build Determination in order to get your shield back faster, powers like Roar, Steadfast Determination, and others associated with building determination would be viable options. Without having to conduct a huge rebalancing of feats, paths, and powers, this simple change could be a nice first step to providing new options for the class.

If you want something that's that good defensively, I'm of the opinion you'd have to drop the increased attack speed to make up for it.

Every other class with a shield mechanic like that has to give up a lot to use it.

CW's lose an entire encounter power which really hurts dps considering spell twisting

GF's can't use encounters or their normal stronger at wills while holding their shield and have reduced movespeed.

OP's can't do anything while they've got theirs on.

If you want (for destroyer) an essentially always on defensive capability like that you're gonna need a tradeoff somewhere.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    @xsayajinx1 Are they buffing the GWF in Mod12? I hadn't heard about it!
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited July 2017
  • Options
    antrvin#3352 antrvin Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Would be great but first they need to fix the threat gen issue.. i have made a full tabk spec and tried it out on 10 cn runs... the threat is either transferedto others or its so low that one crit from a party member turns the mob around...
    Before you tell me im doing it wrong i tried every possible combination for highest threat according to whats in the sentinel tree. Yet nothing seams to make even a boss that i hit first stay on me.
  • Options
    volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User

Would be great but first they need to fix the threat gen issue.. i have made a full tabk spec and tried it out on 10 cn runs... the threat is either transferedto others or its so low that one crit from a party member turns the mob around...

Before you tell me im doing it wrong i tried every possible combination for highest threat according to whats in the sentinel tree. Yet nothing seams to make even a boss that i hit first stay on me.

GWF Sentinel isn't a tank anymore, look at other threads about it, the GWF can't be a real tank class. A DC or even a HR or Templock have more threat than GWF.

• Options
    antrvin#3352 antrvin Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    So why even have the tree?
  • Options
    volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User

So why even have the tree?

Sentinel and Instigator are useless, Destroyer is the only viable paragon for GWF, they nerfed Sentinel when Oathbound paladin came as the Tank alternative.