test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pls advise for Fully Tank / Iron Vanguard / Protection

thailadiathailadia Member Posts: 38 Arc User
I am looking to create the 'Fully Tank' with Iron Vanguard and Protection.

What stat should I focus on? Please see my prioritized stat list, my idea, below

1) Defense - higher defense for withstand the damage
It should be no question for higher defense score for full tank purposed, isn’t it.

2) Hit Point - higher hit point provide longer life

3) Stamina Gain - higher for keep guard alive
Intention to have possibility to get stamina gain and regenerate as much as possible.

4) Deflection - reduce some chance to get damage
With high deflection up to 60% could help?

5) Power vs Critical strike - to build damage keeping agro?
I have chance to get my Power with Boon. What's happen if I still focus on increasing Defense instead of Power? With less power score, does it make me lower damage for keeping agro?
Does high critical strike could help comparing with Power? In boon selection, recovery coming together with critical strike.
How much should I have for Power for ensuring that having enough damage for keeping agro?

6) life steal
Could Higher life steal help for the servivability, when most of the time do guarding (shift)? if so, how many % should have?

Below is my plan to build on feat, paragon and boon for Human race.

Heroic Feats (23)
Action Surge (1)
Strength Focus (3)
Toughness (3)
Distracting Shield (5)
Armor Specialization (3)
Potent Challenge (3)
Ubiquitous Shield (5)

Paragon Feats (41)
Protector
Armor of Bahamut (5)
Plate Agility (5)
Shield Defense (5)
Unshakable Line (5)
Devoted Protector (5)
Shieldmaster (5)
Brawling Warrior (5)
Iron Guard (1)
Techtician
Fight On (5)

Boons
Elemental Evil:
Unassailable Tide +300 Defense and +2000 Maximum Hit Points
Earth's Renewal +400 Regeneration and +2000 Maximum Hit Points
Blazing Resilience +400 Recovery and +2000 Maximum Hit Points
Wall of Wind

Sharandar:
Dark Fey Warden 400 Defense.
Fey Elusiveness 400 Deflect.
Elven Fortitude Max HP is increased by 1600.
Elven Tranquility When being struck by a foe you have a chance to heal yourself for 20000 HP. (60s Internal Cooldown)
Elven Resolve Your Stamina regenerates 10% faster in Combat.

Dread Ring:
Reliquary Keeper's Strength 250 Power and 250 Movement.
Evoker's Thirst You gain 400 Life Steal.
Illusion Shimmer You gain 3% Deflection Chance.
Enraged Regrowth
Augmented Thayan Bastion

Icewind Dale:
Weathering the Storm You gain 400 AoE Resist.
Refreshing Chill You gain 400 Stamina/Guard Gain.
Rapid Thaw You gain 400 Recovery.
Cold Shoulder
Avalanche

Tyranny of Dragons:
Dragonheart Grants 1600 Hit Points.
Dragon's Shadow Grants 400 Deflect.
Dragon's Defense Grants 400 Defense.
Dragon's Blood Grants 400 Regen.
Dragon's Revival (3) Grants 10/12.5/15% increased Incoming Healing.
Dragon's Thirst Grants 3/4/5% increased Life Steal.

Underdark:
Primordial Vitality You gain 400 Defense and 1600 Maximum Hit Points
Primordial Regenesis You gain 400 Life Steal and 1600 Maximum Hit Points
Drow Meditation You gain 1200 Regeneration.
Dwarven Stamina You now regain Stamina 5% faster.
Abyssal Tenacity Demons do 5% less damage to you.

The Maze Engine:
Abyssal Regeneration You gain 400 Incoming Healing Bonus.
Demonic Resilience Control effects will now have 5% shorter duration when applied to you.
Demonic Endurance Your stamina regenerates 10% faster in combat.
Displace Fate Your stamina regenerates 10% faster in combat.

Storm King’s Thunder:
Frosty Demeanor You gain 2% Control Resistance and 1000 Maximum Hit Points.
Hardy Constitution You gain 400 Stamina Gain and 2% Everfrost Damage Resistance.
Chill Determination You gain up to 2000 Recovery based on how much Stamina or Guard you are missing.
Glacial Strength Your Max HP is increased by 3200 and 2% Everfrost Damage Resistance.
Frozen Reflection (3) When you Deflect an attack you deal up to 5000/6000/7000 damage to your attacker.

The Cloaked Ascendancy Campaign:
Aura of Hope
Healing Heat You gain 2% incoming heal bonus and 1000 maximum hit points
Soothing Zephyr You gain 500 recovery and 2000 maximum hit points
Planar Vitality When you deflect an attack, you regain up to 8000 hit points

Comments

• thailadiathailadia Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    One more Question :pensive:

7) Power vs Armor Penetration
    With higher Armor Penetration could help creating damage or the power does?
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    thailadia said:

One more Question :pensive:

7) Power vs Armor Penetration
    With higher Armor Penetration could help creating damage or the power does?

Resistance Ignored (aka ArmorPen) gives the best returns on investment of any offensive stat until your Resistance Ignored is greater than or equal to enemy damage resistance.

• cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    >3) Stamina Gain - higher for keep guard alive
    This has a softcap at 1200, complete waste after that point. Even before as a full tank you will have enough abilities that enchance your stamina, so incoming healing, ap gain and aoe resist might work out better.

>5) Power vs Critical strike - to build damage keeping agro?
    I prefer power. Chances are your crit will be minimal as a protector anyway even if you try to invest in it.

>6) life steal
    Absolutely. Huge help with survivability, arguably better than deflection if you have enough damage.

As for your boons, I see a lot of focus on stamina again. That much stamina is not necessary. If you use ITF and ET on cooldowns(as you should, because hiding behind your shield all the time doesn't do anything for the group), you will have plenty of stamina to block crowds. As for bosses, drop ET and you will still have stamina to block the dangerous attacks.
    Many thanks for input. Generally, in the party, I mostly go with LS, ET and KV for encounter with EM and Ga for passive.

@cilginordek, you are right, it seem I put so much in stamina. I will consider it, tk
  • iselor008iselor008 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    thailadia said:

Many thanks for input. Generally, in the party, I mostly go with LS, ET and KV for encounter with EM and Ga for passive.

@cilginordek, you are right, it seem I put so much in stamina. I will consider it, tk

You forget about ITF. Unacceptable mistake... Remove LS if you want help party

iselor008 said:

thailadia said:

You forget about ITF. Unacceptable mistake... Remove LS if you want help party

It even regenerates your Stamina when you cast it, so it would help you with your Stamina "issue" more than Lunging Strike.

For correction, most of the time when party (daily quest) and dungeon, I would prefer to put LS, ITF and ET. I like LS because it could help me for fast reaching to the mob when, normally, any other races are running more faster than me.

At the boss flight, I change to KV, ITF and KV.

Is it ok?
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I'd say that at the boss fight you should use KV, ITF and CS.

It's a single target encounter and CS is great for buffing your team damage.

For the KV, it depends on the group you're running with. Since you want to protect the team, than there's nothing better in our arsenal than KV.

If, and only if, survivability is not an issue, you can choose to drop KV in favor to CS. This will enable to but a nice buff on your strikers and finish the job faster.
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    thailadia said:

For correction, most of the time when party (daily quest) and dungeon, I would prefer to put LS, ITF and ET. I like LS because it could help me for fast reaching to the mob when, normally, any other races are running more faster than me.

At the boss flight, I change to KV, ITF and KV.

Is it ok?

Hello there friend! I'm no expert but 1 year of GFing and tried both Protector and Tactician paths.

First of all - you said you want to tank in dungeons. Why LS then?

1. Does it help your team? (pssst. -> no).
    2. Does it build you more aggro? (pssst. -> no).
    3. Does it protect your teammates? (pssst. -> I think you know the answer!).

If your teammates want to charge at mob before you are there - well, then you can wish them luck and watch their body parts fly here and there.

My usual setup for mob fights is almost always KV, ET and ITF. I don't have any problem with my speed, cause I almost always use Steel Grace (switching it for Steel Defense in FBI and MSP). Actually I'm so fast I sometimes leave my teammates far behind and then I'm realising I'm poking mobs solo with my pathetic damage.

When in bossfights I usually swap KV or EF for some damage buff: either Commander's Strike or something to spread Crushing Pin.

Beside all of it you should follow @rjc9000 advices. This guy helped a lot of GFs here (not to mistake with girlfriends :smiley: ) and knows what he's saying.

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    > @thailadia said:
    > For correction, most of the time when party (daily quest) and dungeon, I would prefer to put LS, ITF and ET. I like LS because it could help me for fast reaching to the mob when, normally, any other races are running more faster than me.
    >
    > At the boss flight, I change to KV, ITF and KV.
    >
    > Is it ok?

No. LS only helps you while openi.g the fight, as a gap-closer to allow you to engage a mob pack before thet over-anxious GWF moooaaars his was into aggro before you.
    And LS is a good encounter. True. I use it for solo loadout.
    But it does very little for the group which, as you say, "Protection" GF, is your job.
    KV is the single best group damage mitigation in the entire game... use to be 2nd to Anointed Army, but that was nerfed.

KV straight-up erases some party damage. As a ProtecTOR you should almost always be using KV in party.
    Certainly don't choose LS over KV.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
    First of all, I did a typing error on my post so the correct one is "At the boss flight, I change to KV, ITF and ET"

Thank you again, I really appriciate on all valuable input fomr yours, I love them.

I would say I never try CS before and I will highly consider to use it. How about fighting to boss with mob like in ECC and EGWD, is it still ok to use it?

How about the Daily? Currently, I put TI and FR most of the time. For TI itself, is it recommended to put 5 on the feat of 'Overwhelming Impact' for getting temporarily reduce Damage Resistance by 5% on affected targets?
    thailadia said:

First of all, I did a typing error on my post so the correct one is "At the boss flight, I change to KV, ITF and ET"

Thank you again, I really appriciate on all valuable input fomr yours, I love them.

I would say I never try CS before and I will highly consider to use it. How about fighting to boss with mob like in ECC and EGWD, is it still ok to use it?

Depends on your team.

If your team is squishier/weaker, then you're going to want KV, especially for the final bosses of eGWD/eCC, which feature lots and lots of mobs trying to kill your team. KV protects them AND spreads your debuffs AND rapidly builds aggro to you.

If your team is a bit stronger (by stronger, I mean "most bosses die within 5-10 seconds"), then feel free to use Commander's Strike, although Commander's Strike only works well on a few classes.

Commander's Strike is best used when teaming with a (smart) GWF. The (smarter) TRs, (smarter) DPS GFs, and (smarter) DPS Protection Paladins are also classes that benefit from Commander's Strike.

By the way, Commander's Strike isn't a "buff" per say, rather, it takes 40% of the DPSer's encounter hit, and applies it as your damage. It adds the correct team DPS output, but it might hurt the feelings of the "hDPS 16k Bonding" epeen chasers.
    thailadia said:

How about the Daily? Currently, I put TI and FR most of the time. For TI itself, is it recommended to put 5 on the feat of 'Overwhelming Impact' for getting temporarily reduce Damage Resistance by 5% on affected targets?

Yes, pick up Overwhelming Impact. Also, if you want to add more to your debuffs, then pick up Crushing Pin and drop another feat in its place (Fight On or Brawling Warrior are my reccomended drops).

To best use Overwhelming Impact (and Crushing Pin, to a lesser extent), use Terrifying Impact when you see/hear a bunch of buffs go up (ex: if you team with a HR and DC, if you see "Longstrider's Shot" flash on your screen and you hear a glass shattering sound, then that would be a good time to apply Terrifying Impact).

I need a bit more explanation on the extent using of 'Crushing Pin'. What does it help in the big picture? I though I am using only the TI that 'Stun' effect is considering control power and the crushing pin help to strengthen it, right. Any others at will or encounter that contain control, I am rarely use them like KB - slow, FS and BC - prone, etc. I also do think the threat is not consider a control one.

Note: At my current stat, I have control bonus only 25

Sorry I do not know well on many mechanisms or beneficial of many things in the game. :p
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    I would urge you to go to rjc9000's guide which you will find a link in his signature.

This should clear a lot of things to you.
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
    edited July 2017
    thailadia said:

I need a bit more explanation on the extent using of 'Crushing Pin'. What does it help in the big picture? I though I am using only the TI that 'Stun' effect is considering control power and the crushing pin help to strengthen it, right. Any others at will or encounter that contain control, I am rarely use them like KB - slow, FS and BC - prone, etc. I also do think the threat is not consider a control one.

Note: At my current stat, I have control bonus only 25

Sorry I do not know well on many mechanisms or beneficial of many things in the game. :p

Crushing Pin, when you activate a crowd control effect on enemies, which then puts a -10% damage resistance debuff on enemies for 3 seconds.

You are correct, Terrifying Impact counts as a stun effect, as is the initial kick of Knee Breaker, Flourish, and Bull Charge all count as crowd control effects; threat/aggro is NOT a crowd control effect.

Crushing Pin only needs you to activate a CC effect. It doesn't matter how long or effective the CC is, you just need to use a power which has one on a target.

This is why Crushing Pin only works on the initial kick of Knee Breaker: Crushing Pin only works on activation of a CC effect, so Knee Breaker isn't that good for putting Crushing Pin on enemies. This is also why Control Bonus isn't needed for Crushing Pin, as it literally does nothing for Crushing Pin.

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    OP, Re: Crushing Pin (CP), of the encounters you mention only frontline surge (FS) would be a useful CP-applier in large mob group situations.

FS is a nice trash mob/crowd clearer. If you feat it with Iron Focus FS also builds threat. Not a bad encounter. I'd use FS all the time except for one problem: encounter space.
    All GFs must use ITF.
    All Protectors must use KV.
    That only leaves one slot. If you are having threat issues you must use Enforced Threat. So usually will have to pass on FS.

KB applies CP on some bosses so it is an option in solo-boss fights. But CS probably outdoes it in damage even when CP is applied (depending on who you are playing with). In mob /trash clearing KB is not a good choice (single target).

Many mid-level bosses (eg. Giants) and all final bosses are unaffected by the CC of Bull Charge. Pretty sure CP is not applied (speculation... I never tested). I wouldn't recommend it either way.

Yes, Terrifying Impact+Overwhelming Impact is a good combination, especially for big mob packs.

There are dozens of other ways to apply CP, some of them passively (without using a power/attack).

For example, KV + Guarded Assault + GA Artifact Offhand power (slow) = whole room painted with CP.

CC is also applied by some companion summoned powers (paranoid delusion), companion active powers (cockatrice), mount combat powers (Swift Golden Lion), and many many others.

Hope that helps. But as others have said you really need to read a GF build start to finish. Most of these questions are answered in the better builds.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    My take on IV Portector GF build :

The Great Protector
    Elite Whaleboy
    Thank you @dread4moor and @wilbur626 for the input.

It is now more clear for me how importance of the need of Crusing Pin which is stated in @dread4moor post and @wilbur626, guide build as well as several link.