test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OP threat broken?

l33tazn#1400 l33tazn Member Posts: 16 Arc User
Am I the only one that is finding my self hard generate enough threat or hold aggro? I have CW and GWF that can pull mobs and bosses off me. Not many but the high DPS ones. Ones that are still about my IL (was 2800). I'm figure out if it's my build or is the treat on OPs broken.

Comments

• thrilk#9892 thrilk Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    OP was previously broken and they said they fixed it. But I do know there are many people who believe that it is still broken.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    The word broken is pretty silly, it means too many things and too few.

Can OPs generate threat? Yes.

Threat in Neverwinter comes in two general forms: damage and taunts. Dealing damage to an enemy generates threat, and OPs get a modifier that means we generate 500% of our damage in threat.

We also have 2 taunts: Divine Call and Binding Oath. Taunts ostensibly put you to the top of the "threat list" for a moment. But in order to keep enemies focused on you, you need to continually generate damage.

So since we do 500% of our damage in threat, in order to keep enemy focus we need to be doing about 1/5th of the top dps's damage, otherwise the threat generated by the damage dealers will steal aggro away from us.

Many lower geared tanks struggle to keep pace with the dps that a party can dish out. Make sure you have appropriate Resistance Ignored (mostly from Armor Penetration) so that you are doing full damage to enemies.
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    If you want to hold threat against GFs (and some GWFs) you'll need a high DPS build. Paladin threat is normally sufficient when in a "standard" party.

If you're having trouble, try some of the Threat generators we have:
    Aura of Radiance - Start here if you're having trouble holding threat. The standard Wisdom/Courage aura combination is good, but it's probably going to add more DPS to the rest of your group than it will for you, meaning it'll be harder to hold threat for you.
    Binding Oath - hard taunt on activation, good DPS when you're taking damage (generating more threat).
    Relentless Avenger - this takes some practice to use well in a group, but the taunt aspect works very well. Just make sure you know what you're doing before pugging with it.
    Cleansing Touch - not an inherent threat generator, but heals generate threat as much as damage (afaik). CT will also give Temp HP to us (protection). So if you're fighting with a lot of melee try this one - whenever it's up, just look at the sky and cast it, it'll AE heal around you - topping people off (generating threat), and giving you Temp HP.
    Oath Strike - good agro builder for single target.
    Bane - When combined with AoC it deals damage - giving you three Fast, hard damage hits at the start of the fight allowing you a little time before the others start taking agro.
    Aura of Truth - not 100% sure this will help with agro, but the artifact power can apply a stun, which means to me it's ticking "something" which could help. If nothing else, the added defense to the group won't hurt.
  • volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    hirogarde said:

If you want to hold threat against GFs (and some GWFs) you'll need a high DPS build. Paladin threat is normally sufficient when in a "standard" party.

If you're having trouble, try some of the Threat generators we have:
    Aura of Radiance - Start here if you're having trouble holding threat. The standard Wisdom/Courage aura combination is good, but it's probably going to add more DPS to the rest of your group than it will for you, meaning it'll be harder to hold threat for you.
    Binding Oath - hard taunt on activation, good DPS when you're taking damage (generating more threat).
    Relentless Avenger - this takes some practice to use well in a group, but the taunt aspect works very well. Just make sure you know what you're doing before pugging with it.
    Cleansing Touch - not an inherent threat generator, but heals generate threat as much as damage (afaik). CT will also give Temp HP to us (protection). So if you're fighting with a lot of melee try this one - whenever it's up, just look at the sky and cast it, it'll AE heal around you - topping people off (generating threat), and giving you Temp HP.
    Oath Strike - good agro builder for single target.
    Bane - When combined with AoC it deals damage - giving you three Fast, hard damage hits at the start of the fight allowing you a little time before the others start taking agro.
    Aura of Truth - not 100% sure this will help with agro, but the artifact power can apply a stun, which means to me it's ticking "something" which could help. If nothing else, the added defense to the group won't hurt.

Is Sacred Weapon good for aggro?

Is Sacred Weapon good for aggro?

I didn't personally start using it until after I got higher iLevel (where I could hold threat a little better). Theoretically though, it'll raise your damage, thereby increasing your threat. Unfortunately it only applies to single target attacks so it may be a wash if you're using Oath Strike.

Anyone have a comparison, anecdotal or otherwise, using Sacred Weapon?

I don't have a standard build, so most of the advice on the forums here I have to re-interpret for me. What I've found to work when I Tank-Tank (ie control the fight and don't care about personal damage): I start with Radiance/Courage Auras (Radiance/Truth if it's hard hitting mobs), Cleansing Touch/Binding Oath/Templar's Wrath for Encounters, Shielding Strike/Radiant Strike for At-Wills.
    RS hits up to six mobs, so it's the best overall DPS At-Will we have when fighting 3+ at a time (damage = agro), BO is mainly an extra hard taunt, and TW/CT to keep temp HP up. Then as I get a feel for how the party's playing out, I may swap to different powers to help DPS/support/heal while tanking.

Remember too: There are other tank classes. If you're in a group with someone who's holding threat well (eg GF) swap to an off-tank set-up. Keep them healthy, and drag the guys to them.
    I just realized I forgot these two in the list which is probably what you were really asking:

Yes, there is a hard taunt aspect to Sacred Weapon, and it works. But if you're protection, something like Vow is going to work better overall (for threat) because 1) faster animation, 2) everyone else is building threat for you 3) more damage for you and no one else moves you to a higher percentage, therefore less likely to lose agro.