test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A warning to Windows 10 users and other glitches :-)

qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
Last week, my PC automatically updated it's O/S to Windows 10 Creators Edition. As I have Windows 10 Home, I don't have the option of turning off automatic updates and so it went ahead while I was otherwise occupied for an hour or so away from my PC. Anyway, the update caused numerous problems including some graphics glitches that manifested in Neverwinter as screen freezes and lag-like symptoms. I cured these by using the Windows Recovery option to roll back to my previous installed copy of Windows 10. I now always shut down my PC if I'm going to be away from it for more than 10-15 minutes to ensure the Creators Edition doesn't get reinstalled until after Microsoft fixes the mountain of bugs that come with it.

All well and good, but that isn't the reason for my warning although it is related. Earlier today, to boost my ARC points accumulation options, I installed 'Gigantic'. No problem, it installed smoothly without a hitch and ran quite happily. The problem came when I tried to run Neverwinter. I went to the 'My Games' area on the Arc loader panel and to my surprise the only game still listed was 'Gigantic'. I have several other games installed including Neverwinter and Star Trek Online. None were visible. Running 'Scan For Games' did not find any of them on my hard drive. The directories are all still there but Arc simply isn't recognising any of them. Manually installing them doesn't work either. Arc declares the file to be unrocognised, then goes about asking me to install the game it has just not recognised. As a result, right now, I am in the process of redownloading all 9+GB of Neverwinter so I can play it and may have to do the same for the other games previously available to me through Arc. Fortunately, I have unlimited data downloads available on my broadband package....but it is a right, royal pain in the neck :s

I cannot know for certain if this is a result of rolling back Windows 10 or of installing 'Gigantic' or some combination of the two but I thought it might be worth mentioning here on the forums just in case others hit the same snags....or want to avoid them in the first place :)

Comments

• qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    And now a quick follow up. Downloading Neverwinter failed. It stopped at just under 4GB and just sat there. So I quit the loader and also shut down then restarted the Arc Panel. Lo and behold, my missing games are all back and they all run again....except for Neverwinter :s
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    Finally got in at 12:45pm :)
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    The creator's update trashed one of our work Dell desktops. Total nuke and pave to bring it back to life. The update reminds me of another software company with little to no testing before a release.
    I aim to misbehave
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Yeah, I just had to do a full system reset yesterday myself. I'm still working on re-downloading EVERYTHING. :( Stupid Windows.

Glad that I am win 7 user. :P Sadly can't properly run NWO on linux...QQ
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • martelis1981martelis1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Updating an existing instalation of windows almost always bring some problems. :s Your case seem to be a problem with the new "game mode" implemented in the Creators Edition. There are reports of games not working or failing with the Creators Edition especially in existing installations. I had problems with some games after the update, Neverwinter crashed very often. What i did was a clean installation of Creators Edition and now 0 problems :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    A recent Windows 10 update disabled all my husband's mouse and keyboard settings. He seems to have figured it out, but not without some difficulty.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Desktop and laptop are both updated to Creator's Edition, no issues here.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Non-Home edition Windows 10 users can manipulate the Auto Update features by fiddling with certain settings in Group Policies or Regedit. Although I recommend being very careful in messing with these two features. You can search for how-to's on this on the web. Alas, Home edition users do not have access to Group Policies and any Regedit changes made to Auto Update do not work. The only way to disable Auto Update on Home edition is to set your internet connection as a Metered Connection, but this can have effects on other programs too.
  • murmidionmurmidion Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    went to log onto neverwinter today and its been removed from my computer, am in the process of re-installing but its taking forever(:
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I wonder if that has anything to do with inbuilt anti-virus? I used to get warning message from Microsoft Security Essentials about Neverwinter - but don't know
  • sobacsobac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    While i'm too dislike these huge updates installed over original OS (i prefer clean installs), no prob here (W10 Pro x64). Some software (like those that are loaded on startup or deeply integrated into OS) may have problems and stop to working properly. These Win updates shouldn't touch Neverwinter install at all though, so reinstalling the game won't fix anything. I'd rather suggest to reinstall graphic drivers instead (mark "clean install" box or similar while installing) or just rolling back to previous Win version in worst case.
    I'd also recommend to NOT install games in Program Files folder.