test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guide to Paladin Powers

hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
edited June 2017 in The Citadel
This is intended to be an introduction to paladin powers – if you’re looking for a build, this isn’t it.

I have attempted to explain the powers such that anyone starting a paladin might be able to decide where to spend those precious power points while levelling up, early post-70, and before getting high iLevel gear. It’s a mostly objective view of all the paladin powers, how they work, and how they interact with each other. There is some math in here, but I tried to keep it simple enough that anyone could grasp the “this is better for me” side of things.

Googledocs fubar'd the formatting, so it's posted as a .pdf. There’s still a couple items I’d like to test (highlighted); so if you have the answers, please let me know and I can update.

Thanks to @veywiil#8685 for DevOP insight and testing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15_HrH2TLB1LWlrN0wxNXZQNXc/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: fixed link
Post edited by hirogarde on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Corrections:

Bane and Vow of Enmity
    Both do zero damage themselves
    Both will proc Aura of Courage
    Bane will proc Holy Avenger, Vow will not
    Neither will draw initial agro (from range) when no damage is done.

Link to forum post with full explanation of how debuffs stack, including Bane and Vow of Enmity:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1226436/pve-damage-resistance-debuffs-effectiveness/p1?sso=eyJuYW1lIjoiIiwicGhvdG91cmwiOiIiLCJjbGllbnRfaWQiOiIxNDQzOTY4OTgxIn0=+4f1dc0eb4bebc1ee203360d586c8ffddded8119f+1497905107+hmacsha1
    Post edited by hirogarde on
  • Options
    veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Glad to help out where I can! Good reference for basic knowledge on powers. I think the findings you did around shielding strike specifically should be mentioned. A fair bit I didn't know about it's interactions.
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • Options
    ase#2329 ase Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    errr... Vow of Emmity does damage.
  • Options
    ase#2329 said:

errr... Vow of Emmity does damage.

That was one of my earlier test, so I retested it:
    Bane:
    -Zero Damage
    -Procs Holy Avenger (and presumably the other enchants)
    -Procs Aura of Courage
    -Damage multiplier is applied before the damage
    -Does not draw initial agro if no damage done

Vow of Enmity:
    -Zero Damage
    -Does not proc Holy Avenger (nor the others presumably)
    -Procs Aura of Courage
    -Damage multiplier is applied before the damage
    -Does not draw initial agro if no damage done

Thank you for noticing the error. I'll add this to the second post and update the main doc as more are found.

• Options
    trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    Bane is DR debuff and damage debuff, 10% per stack for up to 30% total (additive stacks).

Vow of Enmity is DR debuff, 50%.

This is not damage multiplier, it's just like any other DR debuff and they cap at 200% effectiveness.
  • Options

Bane is DR debuff and damage debuff, 10% per stack for up to 30% total (additive stacks).

This is not damage multiplier, it's just like any other DR debuff and they cap at 200% effectiveness.

I'll agree that you are technically correct. If you do the math using my simplified equations and explanations though, you'll see that it works out the same until you start reaching the debuff caps.

I'll add a link (above) to the full explaination for those who are interested in the details.
  • Options
    trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    hirogarde said:

I'll agree that you are technically correct. If you do the math using my simplified equations and explanations though, you'll see that it works out the same until you start reaching the debuff caps.

I'll add a link (above) to the full explaination for those who are interested in the details.
    You're making it confusing. And no, they work the same, no matter at what point of effectiveness from capped debuffs you are. It's how debuffs work and the fact it's capped at 200%. The most simple explanation is that Bane and Vow of Enmity apply DR debuff making enemy take more damage (Bane - from everyone, Vow - only from OP), and how much more damage is based on the debuffs mechanic: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1226436/pve-damage-resistance-debuffs-effectiveness/p1

Also, what's important, reaching 100% effectiveness can be done by having enough RI as enemy has DR (RI = eDR), but DR debuffs can work towards getting to that number when RI < eDR meaning e.g. Dev OP who always use Vow can get away with just 5% RI (+5% from Radiant Strike) when fighting single target boss with 60% DR as Vow provides 50% personal DR debuff that covers the difference, and in the end OP ends up with the same effectiveness as others (who don't use any personal DR debuffs, like e.g. GWF's Weapon Master Strike - 30% or Mark 20% for GWF but 8% for everyone else). But having capped RI is always better, in case group only can reach 150% effectiveness from capped debuffs, with 5 Sellswords/Con Artists it would be 225% effectiveness. But for OP who uses Vow he'd be at 200% and 5 Con Artists would push total effectiveness to 300%.