test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can someone explain why you wouldn't go for a Strength/Charisma build over a Strength/Dex build?

rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
It would seem that if you are in stealth enough, the 100% crit rate would kind of make Dexterity redundant while getting (more or less) perma CA from a feature like Infiltrator's Action should give you a greater overall damage boost. Both Dex and Charisma grant Deflect chance so that is a wash, otherwise, the two ability bonus' are AoE resist for Dex and Companion stat bonus for Charisma. With ITC and/or Dodge/Roll, the AoE resist seems kinda meh.

I'd appreciate any feedback, I am looking to create a TR and would rather get my abilities right the first time.

Thanks

Comments

• blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    You are right, STR+CHA is best but its best in end-game when you have enough crit % from other sources so u can remove points in DEX and put into CHA. Stealth does give 100%+ crit but unless you are perma-stealth build, which is not good dps build for PvE, then you still need to get crit as close as possible to 100%.
    I have changed to STR+CHA and currently have 87.5% crit with bondings up but with all potions and boons procing i am around 100% still, maybe even above it.
    I would say go for highest STR possible when rolling ability scores and in beginning put points into STR and DEX and later when you have enough crit % respec and put points into STR and CHA.
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    @blur#5900 I appreciate the reply :)

I am looking to create a high AP/High Power TR so I thought with Infiltrator's Action and Action Advantage, Charisma would trump Dex.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how long the buff on Whirlwind of Blades lasts and if that buff is stackable?

Thanks
  • blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    High AP+Power is good, all you need is DC Sigil and Legacy Snail. Decent recovery helps too since you can activate ap-heavy encounters more often (Smoke+itc+Lashing/Dazing) and still high crit is recommended, otherwise you will lose damage.
    WoB stacks, duration should be 12 seconds.
  • epok#7782 epok Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    As has been said already, roll a 16 on STR if you can. It not only gives you more damage potential at end-game because you will be hitting 100% crit anyway, but that array actually offers you more points overall as well.

As for dex vs cha, it's important to note that 1% crit is worth more than 1% CAB. Base CAB is +15% to your final damage numbers, but adding +10% doesnt make it 25%, it makes it +16.5% (because 10% of 15 is 1.5).

If you take 9 stat points out of DEX then that's 3600 crit stat points you need to make up for with gear, when you could be putting it into POWER instead and get an additional +9% base damage instead of +1.35% situational damage.

Also, as much as you want to run AP build for stealth more often since stealth grants you 100% crit chance, its honestly a build best suited for 1-shot characters. If you aren't 1-shotting things then most of your high damage skills eat your whole stealth bar and so you will be using at-wills out of stealth. This REALLY nerfs the potential damage output from Shadow of Demise considering most of the damage comes from that at-will and its bleeds. For the record, the bleeds can crit as well, but even if you use it from stealth your stealth will run out before you get a full volley off because it attacks so fast.

If i remember correctly, the bleeds aren't affected by Combat Advantage either.
    What are folks doing/using to get to 100% crit chance? This will be an alt so I can just use some equipment/enchants from other toons....

@epok#7782 thanks for filling me in on the CA; I didn't realize that it was multiplicative--that makes a big difference. If I am going for high AP, then, would Tactics make more sense? (or is that a muliplicative bonus as well?)

I'm currently thinking about a Sabo build....
  • captflint#2758 captflint Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Look into mount insignia bonuses artificers persuasion and artificers influence. For some good ap gain.
    You wouldn't even notice a difference with Tactics.

Look into mount insignia bonuses artificers persuasion and artificers influence. For some good ap gain.

You wouldn't even notice a difference with Tactics.

I appreciate the feedback; I had planned on using both Artificer's bonus' along with Fey weapons, an AP cloak, and perhaps one of the AP mount bonus' (not legacy flail snail though; prolly embellished apparatus of gond or gorgon).
  • captflint#2758 captflint Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Whirlwind is stackable. It would be hard to do it by yourself, but with buffs from group..
    I found a flame sprite companion in my inv. Got it to blue, which is 1.5 AP gain. 2% at epic. I was looking to see what I could replace wild hunt with.. Seems to work.
  • sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    epok#7782 said:

As has been said already, roll a 16 on STR if you can. It not only gives you more damage potential at end-game because you will be hitting 100% crit anyway, but that array actually offers you more points overall as well.

As for dex vs cha, it's important to note that 1% crit is worth more than 1% CAB. Base CAB is +15% to your final damage numbers, but adding +10% doesnt make it 25%, it makes it +16.5% (because 10% of 15 is 1.5).

If you take 9 stat points out of DEX then that's 3600 crit stat points you need to make up for with gear, when you could be putting it into POWER instead and get an additional +9% base damage instead of +1.35% situational damage.

Also, as much as you want to run AP build for stealth more often since stealth grants you 100% crit chance, its honestly a build best suited for 1-shot characters. If you aren't 1-shotting things then most of your high damage skills eat your whole stealth bar and so you will be using at-wills out of stealth. This REALLY nerfs the potential damage output from Shadow of Demise considering most of the damage comes from that at-will and its bleeds. For the record, the bleeds can crit as well, but even if you use it from stealth your stealth will run out before you get a full volley off because it attacks so fast.

If i remember correctly, the bleeds aren't affected by Combat Advantage either.

I agree with this. Even with the extra 5 points in cha, that is equivalent to adding just 5% to crit severity. Adding 5 to dexterity is like adding 2000 to your crit. Neither is going to make a huge difference, but if you don't have to put the stats into crit, you can give yourself recovery or power, either of which will help at least as much as the cha stat, plus you get the crit as well. That's why I think dex is the more prudent stat, unless you are going for some sort of power/Owlbear build, which I don't think is competitive with crit builds at this time.
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog