test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

when is the foundry getting back up?????

Comments

• tyfighter77tyfighter77 Member Posts: 20 Arc User

Many still remain hopeful that eventually Cryptic will make an update, but realistically very few believe it will actually ever happen.

I'd settle for them just re-enabling the content that used to be there at this point. Why even have it up if you can't do anything with it?

I'll give that FB group a look. Do you think some of those authors would come back if they at least made it functional?

• iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    I have a few unfinished projects, obviously with the current state of the editor I can't proceed with them. I'm working on a 2-part Chasm quest for the Harper Chronicles series primarily. I do have some folks interested in learning to create their own personal spaces as well. So if the editor returns to functionality I'll be fiddling with it soon enough.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    They basically said the foundry would not get any attention in 2016 (and indeed, it didn't). I really wonder what will happen in 2017. Will it get some much-needed love, or will they just kill it off ?
    Hoping for improvements...
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    I have no hope right now that the company will push UGC to where I want it...mainly because I view it as more important than anything else they could spend money on...

But @mimicking#6533 said he wants to get the game to feel more like D&D and IMO he has been keeping true to that promise. You can't talk about D&D without discussing customized quests. To this day the Foundry content still feels more D&D than anything the devs have made. Sorry Cryptic, you will never be able to match the players for content development.

UGC is passion driven with no deadlines or cost constraints. No developers can compete with it if the proper tools are given to the players. NWN's persistent worlds and other custom modules rank higher in my books than virtually all AAA games I have ever played.

We'll see what 2017 has in store. I'd love to be surprised but I do at least have faith it will not be as bad as 2016 for UGC.
  • vandignescavandignesca Member Posts: 162 Arc User

But @mimicking#6533 said he wants to get the game to feel more like D&D and IMO he has been keeping true to that promise. You can't talk about D&D without discussing customized quests. To this day the Foundry content still feels more D&D than anything the devs have made. Sorry Cryptic, you will never be able to match the players for content development.

UGC is passion driven with no deadlines or cost constraints. No developers can compete with it if the proper tools are given to the players. NWN's persistent worlds and other custom modules rank higher in my books than virtually all AAA games I have ever played.

I've always felt that the Maze Engine story quests felt quite well-done (my favorite campaign by far), even though they were small and focused. But yes, in most other content, you can see compromises due to time/budge constraints.

Love yourself, and focus on the rest of the madness of life later.
    edited January 2017
    I do want to point out that UGC shouldn't be seen as competition against the Dev team. We should be seen as a supplement to their work, telling the stories that aren't fully fleshed out or the Dev team simply didn't have the time or resources to tell. I often get a feeling of animosity from elsewhere in the community that somehow we're here to outshine the devs and that simply isn't the case. Let's face it if we're seen as competition, they'd simply eliminate our ability to create quests and thus eliminate the competition. Some might even argue this is exactly what is going on presently. I get the feeling from others in the community that the dev team has this sort of disdain for the Foundry community, and I would hope that isn't true. We should instead be able to communicate with the devs, not compete against them or be reviled by them. The point is, it shouldn't be: "us against them." If the previous statement were to be true, I think the game would be in a much better place in many aspects.
    Post edited by iandarksword on
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @ambisinisterr
    "You can't talk about D&D without discussing customized quests. To this day the Foundry content still feels more D&D than anything the devs have made. Sorry Cryptic, you will never be able to match the players for content development."
    Well said.
    Some foundry quests are very well written, feel much like tabletop DandD.
    I would run foundry content every day if there was the slightest hint of support, Trivial loot, campaign "genie" token... anything. Make it all bind on character even.
    As it stands, I have 30 min of daily grind on 4 toons. I can't afford to play on the foundry even though I want to.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • inflictoryinflictory Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I see people have been able to update & publish stuff in foundry from the dates in catalogue. May ask how is that possible to work on something when all assets is in editor are missing? or do i need to be hardcore signed up authenticated publisher or something to have access to all the content that is missing in editor...

For me this is totally ridiculous what cryptic is doing. If they don't wanna support it anymore they should have the decency to remove it all together & put us out of our misery. Doing maintenance every week & refusing to touch the foundry & claim "they don't support it". Its only showing how incompetent they maintain & manage there game/s as a whole.
  • cushparlcushparl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User

I see people have been able to update & publish stuff in foundry from the dates in catalogue. May ask how is that possible to work on something when all assets is in editor are missing?

Anyone who placed maps and assets before they went missing, can still work with these.

For me this is totally ridiculous what cryptic is doing. If they don't wanna support it anymore they should have the decency to remove it all together & put us out of our misery. Doing maintenance every week & refusing to touch the foundry & claim "they don't support it". Its only showing how incompetent they maintain & manage there game/s as a whole.

I fully agree.
  • dexter1927dexter1927 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, the foundry for me is probably the best thing on the game(im a dm IRL so you know how it feels), don't misjudge i love the new content but i also love going from map to map into the endless farming to find some story from the community... please make the foundry great again.... ops wrong subject. But i'd love to know what cryptic is going to do with it, really, like i said in one other discussion i don't want this to be the new HL3, can someone give us some answer please? Thank you and good night.
  • robzilla45robzilla45 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Blah blah blah...
  • comolhiekcomolhiek Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Are you guys still working on bringing back assets? No pressure, I just wanted to know if you guys are still working towards it and an estimated release date for the assets update. Thanks. :)
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    The Foundry isn't offline because of an asset update, or trouble getting assets to load. They're datamining the foundry, for a variety of reasons. One reason being to determine if to take it offline completely. No one knows for certain at the moment if it will ever come back. Keeping hope alive.
    That's why you can't build anything new at the moment. Well, since December if I recall.
    Where'd you see/read we were promised an asset update? Curious - I am out of the loop with news at times. Last time we got new assets was when Rise of Tiamat module launched, more than two, wait, three years ago.
    Glad you're excited to get to building.
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
    They seem to have abandoned us in favor of console gamers... and they don't have the foundry ... so we get nothin'. How can a game with such a ground-breaking and primary feature as the foundry be dropped like this? This is truly pitiful.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    waryur said:

The Foundry isn't offline because of an asset update, or trouble getting assets to load. They're datamining the foundry, for a variety of reasons.

Foundry doesn't have to be offline for months for them to make changes, we routinely got large changes during beta and shortly after launch without extended downtime, including data driven things like changing cost values of assets based on data like objects in engine performance.

I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
    For a moment, imagine that video games are like cars. Now... there are lots of different cars for lots of different tastes. Lots of companies make cars. Now lets just imagine that Ford decided to mass produce a flying car... and everybody says "wow, what a great idea". So we all rush out and buy our shiny new Ford Flying Car. Then... after they have your money, Ford says "I'm sorry, but Ford doesn't provide support for the flying car, we're very sorry your wings fell off ".

The Foundry is the flying car.
    Guess who's Ford?
    The foundry has been gone for nearly six months.. it's gone for good.
  • cushparlcushparl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    Editor is back. Assets, too! Hope they stay...
    > @cushparl said:
    > Editor is back. Assets, too! Hope they stay...

Really? All features? I don’t see how that is possible.

It would have to have happened last Thursday, but if they made such an incredible Player-friendly concession they would crow in pride louder then a rooster about it.

Can anyone confirm? Cannot log in today.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • cormsheecormshee Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Is this proof enough? :smiley:
    Foundry is back!

The foundry is back since today, as are the assets!

EDIT: Wait, here it's after midnight already... So, since yesterday :lol:
    Post edited by cormshee on
    > @cormshee said:
    > Is this proof enough? :smiley:
    >
    >
    > The foundry is back since today, as are the assets!
    >
    > EDIT: Wait, here it's after midnight already... So, since yesterday :lol:

This thread has been up since April 2016 and you are surprised by skepticism?
    Well then, I have an East River overpass to sell you my friend.

I'll believe it when people make, publish and play ALL features AND find them still there a month later.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    OMG the editor is actually working. Time to get creating!
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    Yep. Editor is working, assets are available, but, the quest library still hasn't republished. Myself and @valcontar73 have manually published a quest or two each, just to see what happens. For now, we can create, but can not test or review anything on live yet. If you can remember what needed fixing or have fresh ideas, use this opportunity to get some things accomplished. 3D test runs are functional within the editor as well as 3D editing.
  • dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    SWEEEEET!!
    Ancient Spirits officer

NW-DM9Pj62ZK 'Bear with Me'
    NW-DOPPZAYKQ 'Retirement Plans'
    NW-DKJMLS8OQ 'Sleepy in Cea Tull'

• shandizarshandizar Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    Indeed, Republishing as I type this.
    Hope the catalog is up and running soon for all to enjoy.
    5734556npsTK.png
    "...projects are never finished, only abandoned....."
    HellsHot is a proud member of Scribes' Enclave.
    1. The Haronomous Saga NWS-DJIKP5IWK a four part, story driven, campaign.
    2. The Ruins of Xylon NWS-DC76ORA4I a two part, dungeon crawl.
    3. Armor Odyssey NWS-DAUPTR46M a three part, story driven, odyssey.
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    That's great news! :D Now if only I didn't have a gazillion things to catch up on campaign wise... ^_~
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • wintermurlocwintermurloc Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    It seems to be back up on the live server, currently playing through a quest as i type this in and just wanted to thank the devs for getting it back.. It did give me quite a scare when ppl were thinking that's the last of the foundry we've seen.
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I'm in the process of republishing now. I'm having a hard time finding all the letter combinations that are now "profane". I know anything with COM- is but I thought I removed all those. Is there anything else that is triggering it that we know of?

Edit: HAH! It was "it is" that was setting it off.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • simplyshawnsimplyshawn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I can't believe it!!!! I've been making a custom map!!! This is pretty exciting!!!
    "Just my thoughts I suppose."

[Work in Progress]
    "The Legacy of Shaylia,"
    NW-DITFP6QSI

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    I've got a version of Cap Snatchers publishing that includes a shortcut in the second map. It should cut down on backtracking. I'd like to add more, but there doesn't appear to be a way to have teleporters only appear at certain points in the quest. If they're available all the time it would trivialize the map and potentially make it more confusing. Still, the one I added should help quite a bit.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured