test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev Blog: Stronger Enemies, Stronger Equipment

Comments

• danpio1217#3410 danpio1217 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    > @armadeonx said:
    > As one of the titles in the River District says; "Experience Over Hope". Many of those commenting here have played for several years.

I get it, I just think it's about the journey, not the destination. Just enjoy the journey, wherever it goes!
    > @ecrana#2080 said:
    > I've seen numerous posts on the forums full of complaint about power creep and trivialized content. Now the devs announce a new mod with harder enemies and people complain that players might die.
    >
    > As far as gear goes, yeah it's annoying to have to change gear but maybe don't go crazy trying to get BiS. I stopped that rollercoaster months ago and the game has been more enjoyable ever since. Just because they introduce armor doesn't mean you need it. This is the main reason I don't elementalize gear anymore. It's a waste of time at the rate they introduce gear.

This is too logical...knock it off :p
  • redrockls3redrockls3 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I'm not sure how far along you guys are with the development of new items but, if I understand how you're looking to move forward with this new content, it seems as though you want to encourage legitimate group dynamics. Right now, a large portion of the PvE content is rushed through. An overwhelming offense proves that it is far superior to most other tactics. I would encourage you, if this is the direction you intend to go, much akin to your new Stronghold weapons, I would ask that you consider set bonuses that reward you for group play. I leave it to you to figure out the dynamics involved with that but, reflecting back on mod 6, where everyone lost their minds because content was actually difficult and you had to legitimately know how to play your class (exceptions withstanding, trash mobs one-shotting, etc.), I'm hoping that content is noticeably more difficult but, it is manageable.

I would also take a really hard look at SH boons and the lack thereof for non-guilded players. As it stands right now, I know there are many people who put on a smile and maintain the rapport needed to ensure that they stay in their guild and keep those boons. They have become that valuable.

I absolutely encourage more difficult gaming dynamics. As it stands now, outside of the random encounter where I get caught being overly aggressive, there isn't much I have to be overtly cautious about. Just try to make it about 50% of what mod 6 introduced.

- Reyvin
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Alliance equipment may already be earned in dungeons and elven equipment will be still be available to earn for transmutes, just not with seals.

The blog says Alliance equipment will be phased out. That does not imply the items will continue to be available in any way.

I would also question if the loot from River District portal rewards will be adjusted, as I'm again concerned about the mention of phasing out Alliance equipment. This is a significant portion of the RD lair loot table, so will the gear remain (if not phased out), or be replaced with something of value (if phased out)?

If the only availability of these items is going to be as random drops, that's very uncool as previously farmable transmutes goes. I don't think you should be adding frustration points for getting a specific piece you need when it's only for cosmetic purposes.

I'd suggest adding both Alliance and Elven to the neglected Maze Engine store (maybe some of the other gear we've been begging for since the store was released too; the only update I can think of is the Svardborg banner). You might already be hinting at this though, at least for Elven.
    asterdahl said:

At one point upgrading equipment required special professions like black ice shaping. We know that this was tedious and clunky.

Having made a point of getting to Rank 5 in BI Shaping on one of every class (because they could upgrade gear for same-class alts as items produced were BtA), and bought a Hammerstone Pick upgrade for each of those crafters as well, it is more than slightly irritating that this profession was obsoleted and is now only useful for making overload enchants, which I can do with Rank 3.

I'd like to see some effort to keep Black Ice Shaping rewarding even if you want it to be optional. I was also (obviously) a big fan of Elementalizing my stuff, particularly the way this could be used on later items to tailor the stats. But if you don't want to force players into crafting to upgrade their own gear, is there any chance we can get some new recipes for R4/R5 Black Ice Shaping? Maybe some new reinforcement kits or jewels that don't have an AD cost, but instead use Black Ice? Because that would be in keeping with the idea of using professions for items we can sell.
    blannde said:

great just finished getting most of of my characters into purple gear... waste of bars that turned out to be... thanks or is there going to be some sort of trade in for the now hard earned rubbish ? and I still get one shotted in certain places one area of well of dragons... and Ice dale... better up the value of potions to 50 - 75k and reduce cool downs. Quick teleportation to a blue circle frequently is not why I play or spend money ...

3 to 1 seal exchange? if this correct why? worked hard for the ones I have and haven't spent.

Finally get my prime into real good armour and wasn't cheap, (yes I play solo) and now once again it will be turned into rubbish,

As a primarily solo player, you were effectively locked out of the Relic armor option, but with Seal of the Elements being replaced with Seal of the Protector and SotP being able to use to purchase and restore Relic armor, this avenue will open to you, if you can stomach the type of casual grouping that is River District HE farming. You can get a significant quantity of seals from these in short order.

One-shots should not happen with great frequency to a well-built character in solo content. Taking a slightly defensive approach to boons and possibly even some insignia and companion bonuses massively cuts down on times you'll get into trouble. So I find anyway.

But in all seriousness, these changes will make it possible to get better armor for your characters with more options for earning the resources and no RNG. Yes, it further obsoletes older items, but this is inevitable, and it's very much going to make "second-best" options more accessible, which is great news for solo players, altaholics, and anyone else who felt shut out by content like Fangbreaker. It's a catch-up mechanism, but a different route than they went with Drowcraft.

@asterdahl
    Just a couple more things on my mind that don't really slot in with prior comments.

One, I and others would very much appreciate more convenient seal vendors. I know Port Nyanzaru is intended to be a hub with all services, but I still don't think it would hurt to add more. Most levelling zones had an appropriate seal vendor, and I sorely miss that convenience.

Prior feedback thread about lack of seal vendors:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1230307/adding-a-seal-vendor-to-the-river-district-would-be-a-kindness

The final comment in that thread about having a seal vendor in strongholds, I'd be all over it if I could build a SH seal vendor where I currently have a salvager. Of the options for that plot, the salvager and profession store are obsoleted by VIP, and the tradebar vendor is really useless as it can be summoned from inventory. The salvager had a period of usefulness prior to VIP, but has fairly fallen by the wayside. A seal vendor would be perfect. Unless the team did decide to add a VIP seal vendor, which would also make players pretty happy.

Two, the seals that drop from bags in winter festival fishing. I believe the Lion/Manticore/Pegasus seals were changed to Adventurer, but was surprised to still get Unicorn and Drake seals. This should probably be tweaked in advance of the next event. The exchange for the old seals still works, but getting new ones would be better. The longer the time since the seals have been removed, the less likely players running across old ones will intuitively know what to do with them.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I am actually broadly ok with the changes, 'cautious' is probably how I'd describe my attitude.

I do think that elementalising via the Black Ice profession should seriously be considered though, especially for very expensive gear like Masterworks. The cost of production should mean it has a decent shelf life, similar to Dragonflight gear.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2017
    urabask said:

asterdahl said:

patch goes live. This is just an outlet for you to use those unspent seals that you happen to no spend. Going forward we're planning to only maintain 2 endgame seals at a time to keep the number of currencies down.

The worry is that you're valuing elemental seals at 3:1 when they're really 2:1. If that happens to seal rewards in dungeons and we lose the seal bag from T1 dungeons it's another arbitrary nerf to salvage that's going to mostly hit lower ilvl players.
    3:1 is only the trade in value for seals you have left over once the patch goes live. The blog post reads: "All previous sources of seals of the elements will now reward seals of the protector...Starting in Module 12, any seals of the elements can be exchanged 3:1 for seals of the protector at the seal trader." This means that in cases where you would have received 10 seals of the elements and 5 seals of the protector, you will now receive 15 seals of the protector. If you happen to have any seals of the elements when Module 12 goes live—which at that point you will no longer be able to obtain—you may exchange those at a rate of 3:1.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I am the opposite. If they do not release new gear, I am very disappointed, as I MUST HAVE THE NEW GEAR! lol

Not being gated behind RNG makes it that much sweeter.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User

Why are MMOs so focused on GEAR = PROGRESSION?

It is another money sink from what I can tell.

Depending on the content, gear can be important or unimportant. One of my newest mule--er, alts wears High Vizier and does just fine in places like Dread Ring. I could get her better gear (and in fact she is carrying much better gear), but I do it for the novelty and to see how challenging it is. Thus far, the only effect has been that I have to be careful to not get swarmed as combat advantage will rapidly tip the scales in a fight. That said, she's no slouch -- she has R12 bondings, Sergeant Knox defending her, and all of her enchants are at least rank 10. So at only 67k hit points or so, she does fine.

Can she pull her weight in a dungeon? Heck, no -- not with those hit points. There are limits.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User

@asterdahl

Is there any plans in releasing a new PvP set with mod 12 to match the new updated pve armor in item lvl?

It's been a long time since pvp had any change besides gg pvp...
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • fluffy6977fluffy6977 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    @asterdahl

First off, kudos on the upcoming changes, they sound great, and I'm fairly excited to be able to reasonably gear up my alts again, might even have to start booning some more out.

I was wondering if you could explain a little bit the theory behind adding resistance ignored to mobs, instead of straight increasing power? The issue I have seen is that mobs having RI and defense being somewhat difficult to stack on DPS classes, most DPS classes forgo damage resistance entirely in favor of more lifesteal/damage, since most if not all DR they stack is useless when needed anyways. It seems (intuitively at least) that scaling mob damage and health/DR up while leaving them with no resistance ignored would be a more effective way to balance mobs in adventure zones, as well as encourage squishies to stack some DR. Then you could add in the Resistance Ignored (plus the increased damage and health/DR required to make mobs much less trivial) to dungeons to create an environment where having a tank and healers actually matters. Just curious why you are doubling down on mobs with resistance ignored stats, since it makes DR that much more unappealing to DPS.

Again, really excited for mod 12. Just bummed it won't be out in time for Summer on console.
    Cheers!
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

urabask said:

asterdahl said:

patch goes live. This is just an outlet for you to use those unspent seals that you happen to no spend. Going forward we're planning to only maintain 2 endgame seals at a time to keep the number of currencies down.

The worry is that you're valuing elemental seals at 3:1 when they're really 2:1. If that happens to seal rewards in dungeons and we lose the seal bag from T1 dungeons it's another arbitrary nerf to salvage that's going to mostly hit lower ilvl players.
    3:1 is only the trade in value for seals you have left over once the patch goes live. The blog post reads: "All previous sources of seals of the elements will now reward seals of the protector...Starting in Module 12, any seals of the elements can be exchanged 3:1 for seals of the protector at the seal trader." This means that in cases where you would have received 10 seals of the elements and 5 seals of the protector, you will now receive 15 seals of the protector. If you happen to have any seals of the elements when Module 12 goes live—which at that point you will no longer be able to obtain—you may exchange those at a rate of 3:1.
    As long as the 13.3 AD per seal of the protector is maintained afterwards or the amount of those seals is increased and worth decreased to match the dungeon/skirmish predetermined value loot.

• vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    @asterdahl Can only normal Ostorian Rings be bought by Seals of Protector or can Greater Ostorian Rings be bought too?
  • blanndeblannde Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Beckylunatic

"One-shots should not happen with great frequency to a well-built character in solo content. Taking a slightly defensive approach to boons and possibly even some insignia and companion bonuses massively cuts down on times you'll get into trouble. So I find anyway."

My comment here was flavored by Mod 6, I had top level trickster rouge and after mod 6 even trash mobs in Sharandar were doing ridiculous amounts of damage. All 3 of my characters were in Icewind dale after mod 6 doing the daily's for even the lower the lower campaigns was so time consuming due to the difficulty the game simply became seriously unfun and when nothing seemed to happen to rectify this, a lot of us quit in disgust and frustration. Eventually the devs listened and I was impressed with the changes they made and came back 3 months later when they had put the fun back into the game. I love this game but if mod 12 is another mod 6 I will leave for good.

I have 20 characters, none of them are just alts for professions etc , all have at least one unique mount and companion, so I spend real money to enjoy the game, buy packs - I think expecting a little lasting value from investing in the game and supporting it financially is not too much to expect.

I buy vip, spend $20 to $30 min on zen a month just for AD, so when the things you spend real money on become useless and theres no trade in like other games yes it makes you feel very "butt" hurt and I spend money because to get gear because I do not have the time or inclination to just grind for hours on end. I play for fun.

Some would say wait and see, but when things go wrong as they did with mod 6, well guess you had to be there.... and I really hope I am wrong.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    blannde said:

Beckylunatic

"One-shots should not happen with great frequency to a well-built character in solo content. Taking a slightly defensive approach to boons and possibly even some insignia and companion bonuses massively cuts down on times you'll get into trouble. So I find anyway."

My comment here was flavored by Mod 6, I had top level trickster rouge and after mod 6 even trash mobs in Sharandar were doing ridiculous amounts of damage. All 3 of my characters were in Icewind dale after mod 6 doing the daily's for even the lower the lower campaigns was so time consuming due to the difficulty the game simply became seriously unfun and when nothing seemed to happen to rectify this, a lot of us quit in disgust and frustration. Eventually the devs listened and I was impressed with the changes they made and came back 3 months later when they had put the fun back into the game. I love this game but if mod 12 is another mod 6 I will leave for good.

I have 20 characters, none of them are just alts for professions etc , all have at least one unique mount and companion, so I spend real money to enjoy the game, buy packs - I think expecting a little lasting value from investing in the game and supporting it financially is not too much to expect.

I buy vip, spend $20 to $30 min on zen a month just for AD, so when the things you spend real money on become useless and theres no trade in like other games yes it makes you feel very "butt" hurt and I spend money because to get gear because I do not have the time or inclination to just grind for hours on end. I play for fun.

Some would say wait and see, but when things go wrong as they did with mod 6, well guess you had to be there.... and I really hope I am wrong.

it sounds to me like they are trying very hard not to make it a repeat of mod 6. I think it will be fine. I could be wrong of course but I think it will be just fine.
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User

@asterdahl

Is there any plans in releasing a new PvP set with mod 12 to match the new updated pve armor in item lvl?

It's been a long time since pvp had any change besides gg pvp...
    The last major addition to PvP was mod 7.5 - Stronghold PvP. I can see why you forgot about this as its been a long time since anyone actually managed to put together a Stronghold match - no point in at at all.

will the cw get a rework low hp low ac . and can we some more useful spells . after the last nerf bang no one uses soe, black hole, and pretty much most of them. Other than disintergrate all new spell are unused. And what kind of control will the cw have on these new powerful mobs just take the cw out of cw and call me an izard.

This is just an absurd post here ... Of course wizards in robes tend to have low hit points and armor class, they don't need it as they can control or destroy their enemies. The spells people tend to use have changed quite a bit from the old days of suck everything up in a singularity and repell them over the edge or knocking them down with Shard. These days control wizards do just fine in end game dungeons using things like Oppressive Force, Sudden Storm, Steal Time, Icy Terrain, Chill Strike, Conduit of Ice, Disintegrate and Ice Knife - all still very useful and viable powers. Control on end game monsters, well ... that still tends to depend more on chill than arcane control methods like singularity. Control wizard is still a very viable class and I know many end game control wizards who make end game stuff like FBI and mSP easy.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    I am wondering if there will be new rings as well superior to current yellow rings.
    Can I stop the tedious demo/msva farm?
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    I think the current problem with armors is the lack of unique set bonuses. The bonus is what helped us choose which set of armor to wear in the past (avatar of war, knight captain etc). The current theme of bonus_less armor sets makes it so the only way of introducing new armor is to introduce it outright stronger than everyting before it. Thus the devs have limtied their own options and naturally ours as well.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • dingoballzdingoballz Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    ROFLMAO after reading how the new mobs will be stronger and do more damage , mod 6 all over again. When I first started this game like others I was excited about new mods . But after a few of them I like others dread them , knowing the game will be broke again and we will have another mindless endless grind again. Elemental Evil still haunts me and I have not to this day run another toon thru there.
    I left the game for about a year and just returned month or so ago. I can tell you neither RD or SOMI are any fun after a day or 2, just another mindless boring seemingly endless grind. Played real D&D since back in the 70's and never had a GM make us run the same quests over and over again. This game is D&D in name only.
    "What is the sense of living the life you're given if all you ever do is stand in one place?" Lord Huron
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    It is an MMO based on D&D. No company will ever be able to build a game without repeatable quests, grind, etc and stay in business. I do believe that the "concept" of the Foundry could give you some of what you want if it could be properly and economically implemented. With that said, from an MMO perspective I love, and am vested in, this game...Good and bad.
    Post edited by niadan on
    > @dingoballz said:
    > ROFLMAO after reading how the new mobs will be stronger and do more damage , mod 6 all over again. When I first started this game like others I was excited about new mods . But after a few of them I like others dread them , knowing the game will be broke again and we will have another mindless endless grind again. Elemental Evil still haunts me and I have not to this day run another toon thru there.
    > I left the game for about a year and just returned month or so ago. I can tell you neither RD or SOMI are any fun after a day or 2, just another mindless boring seemingly endless grind. Played real D&D since back in the 70's and never had a GM make us run the same quests over and over again. This game is D&D in name only.

You know this is an MMO right.
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    clonkyo1 said:

asterdahl said:

As such, you can expect the new equipment available for protector's seals to be bound to account.

Does this mean that the new 500IL armor set is BoA? O_o
    The 500IL armor is not for protector seal. It might be BoA though.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I am actually happy with the timing of the announcement too (at least for console) as we can now look forward on two releases of gear and plan out what we might perceive as worth the effort and cost.

I think the farther down the list of my alts I go, the effort piece needs to be lower and I like the sounds of the new options, unless they are unreasonably expensive. At least there are options that are not RNG.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    The new gear will probably be the same old HAMSTER. We never get any diversity in stats. Some of us reached enough crit and arp, and just want power/recovery, others might need other stats and can't get the ones they want.
  • heraldfayez#8520 heraldfayez Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    @asterdahl can we please have the underdark rings able to trade for seals or some currency that drops only in Ndemo / Edemo they have been out for a long time and some people are frusterated by the extremly low drop rate on them and specially that only 3 of them are useful wich are brutality / rising power/crit at least make a system for trade 3 legendary rings or +4 rings for the same type : exemple : trade 3 or 4 ring of brutality +4 for 1 brutality +5

Thnx in advance and keep up the good work
  • panteleeleepanteleelee Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    As a DC's we need new armor set with power recovery stats.
    Dont add us a power armor pene stats....
    And ofc pls dont add new armors with feeding...

Taylor DC/DO & AC Buff/Debuff - Guild Gutbusters Brigade - PVE
    May the Torm of Understanding guide us!
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Seal caps are annoyingly easy to hit without noticing if you're busy. A few Dragonflights, a few RD HEs, and whoopsie, I wonder how much went down the tubes when I opened those rewards....

Plus levelling dungeons give you so many seals if you take the chest, it only take a couple of runs to go over.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia