test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not flying mounts but gliding mounts?

karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
Mimic King said once that flying mounts seem to be an incredible task to do.

I personally understand it because you need to get sure to seal of places where players are not allowed to be and the enviromental artists need to do more work (some regions that normally wouldn't accessible to players need to be build). Also it would show technical limitations of the game (like extremly small or tube like areas).

But what about gliding mounts? They can't gain on high. It only goes downwards. Which mean players still wouldn't be able to get to a mountain top only to experience that nothing is there, or falling through the floor.
plat.png
Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    The Siege Griffon feels like you're gliding due to the wing animation while falling, though it follows the same laws of physics as a Gelatinous Cube that jumps off a ledge. It would be great if the fall rate would be reduced a bit and the horizontal speed not attenuated as fast for mounts with the flag "has wings." :smile:
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    greywynd said:
    I don't mean getting rid of fall damage, more what tripsofthrymr said. Basically falling slower down and allowed to maneuver better while falling. Could also be used in future modules. Like puzzle jumps.
    plat.png
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Falling slower and maneuvering would imply removing the damage incurred anyway. So what we are both talking about is not mutually exclusive.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Gas Spore and Tensor both "fly" horizontally.
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Gas_Spore/Tooltip
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Tenser's_Floating_Disk

Flying (vertical) Mounts are absolutely not possible with this game engine.
    The engine only supports 2D Maps.
    Even when you go up or down stairs you are really only moving horizontally.
    Interactions and effects are always 2D.

Look at Protector's Enclave or Cragmire's Crypt maps, for example.
    Despite going up and down many flights of stairs, you never walk BENEATH a section of map above you without loading a new instance. It is 2D.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
    That would mean the engine doesn't support jump and falling down stuff including falling damage. And the falling damage doesn't include the time "in the air" (animation, like in some other games).

Also there are already effects in the game that let you fall slower. For example the "magical dust pillars" in spellplague.
    plat.png
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    > @karakla1 said:
    > That would mean the engine doesn't support jump and falling down stuff including falling damage. And the falling damage doesn't include the time "in the air" (animation, like in some other games).
    >
    > Also there are already effects in the game that let you fall slower. For example the "magical dust pillars" in spellplague.

No. Falling effects are essentially display illusions. You are not actually moving out of combat range of any mob 1 ' horizontal from you.

The map is flat in regards to combat hit-boxes and area of effect.

The engine cannot make vertical "layers" of AoE or hit boxes.

Try this: Climb on top of a very high object anywhere... try the towers in River District... and use an AoE of any kind.
    It will affect everything beneath you no matter how high you climb... because to the game engine you and everything beneath you are occupying the same space.

A flying mount 100' in the air will interact (take hits, take damage, get CCed) with everything on the ground beneath it as if it were on the ground.
    If you fly 100' over a mob AoE you will still be hit. You would be knocked down every time you flew over a mob. It would make no sense.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

The Siege Griffon feels like you're gliding due to the wing animation while falling, though it follows the same laws of physics as a Gelatinous Cube that jumps off a ledge. It would be great if the fall rate would be reduced a bit and the horizontal speed not attenuated as fast for mounts with the flag "has wings." :smile:

That's discriminatory against Gas Spores.

> @karakla1 said:

> That would mean the engine doesn't support jump and falling down stuff including falling damage. And the falling damage doesn't include the time "in the air" (animation, like in some other games).

>

> Also there are already effects in the game that let you fall slower. For example the "magical dust pillars" in spellplague.

No. Falling effects are essentially display illusions. You are not actually moving out of combat range of any mob 1 ' horizontal from you.

The map is flat in regards to combat hit-boxes and area of effect.

The engine cannot make vertical "layers" of AoE or hit boxes.

Try this: Climb on top of a very high object anywhere... try the towers in River District... and use an AoE of any kind.

It will affect everything beneath you no matter how high you climb... because to the game engine you and everything beneath you are occupying the same space.

A flying mount 100' in the air will interact (take hits, take damage, get CCed) with everything on the ground beneath it as if it were on the ground.

If you fly 100' over a mob AoE you will still be hit. You would be knocked down every time you flew over a mob. It would make no sense.

I still don't see a problem. The engine still knows when you are falling.

For example, if you are falling with your mount a buff is applied that lets you fall slower and give you more control while doing that (basically emulate the gliding). While this buff is active you gain another buff (or it is implemented in the first one) where monsters doesn't get aggro if you get close to them. That doesn't count for monsters already have aggro on you.
    plat.png
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    PE has at least one space with two distinct elevations. It is possible to walk under the arch of Protector's Garden or to cross it while in the garden. The same X and Z coordinates, different Y. Similarly, there are bridges and tunnels in Rothe Valley, Whispering Caverns, Blackdagger Ruins... AoE may be calculated 2D but movement is not.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    You need to distinguish between combat rules and movement rules. Combat rules like weapon ranges etc operating in 2D does not mean movement rules like object collisions could not be 3D.

There are a number of games that have successfully introduced flying into the game after initial release, so it is doable.
    Typically those games allowed flying in a limited number of zones initially, then more zones were made flyable as time permitted.

I really miss flying. Flying around in the world is great fun.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    I doubt they would add gliding just because that could be perceived as a sizable advantage even if none exist.

Even then, the engine and how the game renders is the biggest reason we will never see flying mounts. It is not impossible for them to add flying mounts but it is so incredibly unlikely that it might as well never be brought up.

I can't say whether the damage issues discussed in this thread are a problem or not but I can say the render engine utterly fails at larger or distorted distances. Back in the good old days it was pretty easy to climb around protector's enclave and that showed how easy things broke. The screen would flicker, the textures would break, you would see holes in the terrain.

You don't have to go far for this to happen and being able to glide further than most creatures fall would likely have the screen flickering occur. It definitely would open a lot of ways to get to places they previously walled off as well. There's a good chance of it even giving an advantage to getting past certain parts of the map.

As cool as it would be I think the safer option from the developer standpoint is to not have a difference between mounts.
    I could see an issue with draw distance. But I never had flickering.
    plat.png
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Flying mounts would be cool. Dragons anyone? That would be Epic.
  • imperiousshiniimperiousshini Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    riding Valindra would be cool
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    karakla1 said:

I could see an issue with draw distance. But I never had flickering.

They have worked very hard to prevent you from going to places where the draw distance is broken.

EDIT - Finally Found a video!
    I am also on the roof but I have no flickering of items. Some stuff simply disappears if it is out of my draw distance. Thats all that happens to me.
    plat.png
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

riding Valindra would be cool

Kinky!
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    The beetle also has a nice wing flap animation... just jump around on it..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
    It is kinda strange to see people against gliding mounts.
    plat.png
  • aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User

Gas Spore and Tensor both "fly" horizontally.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Gas_Spore/Tooltip

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Tenser's_Floating_Disk

Flying (vertical) Mounts are absolutely not possible with this game engine.

The engine only supports 2D Maps.

Even when you go up or down stairs you are really only moving horizontally.

Interactions and effects are always 2D.

Look at Protector's Enclave or Cragmire's Crypt maps, for example.

Despite going up and down many flights of stairs, you never walk BENEATH a section of map above you without loading a new instance. It is 2D.

Wow. Now that I think about it you're right about the 2D thing. Funny, I remember when Duke Nukem 3D's Build engine became capable of having overlapping tunnels back in the 90's...
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Except that it isn't right as was shown earlier. There are numerous examples of bridges in the game.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    Tested the jump/fly ability in the IG Skirmish. I could float above AOEs and wasn't influenced by it. Same with the monsters, they didn't block my path.
    plat.png
    I don't think the attacks would have variable height since you're not expected to be at a different height. If I had to hedge a guess I would say all AoE attacks are an average PC height above and below the NPC's 0 Degree Z plane.

There ARE a number of maps in which players run over or below areas in which there is combat and it makes sense that it doesn't extend far in the Z's so you don't suddenly get hit by an NPC's AoE melee attack 50 feet below you or even the dragon breath aimed at players far beneath you.

I simply don't think it is worth the headaches it will cause because at the end of the day the game was meant to have mounts that stayed near the ground both on the engine side and gameplay mechanics/design.