What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] GWF for FBI, almost impossible...

2»

Comments

• Options
    merhunesdagon1merhunesdagon1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    Moral of the story: dont be a dumb GWF charging head on, when u have support to keep you alive. and if you die, dont blame everyone else cuz u suck. This why ppl ask for the ranged DPSers more often than up close and personal big sword swinging dummy, and why shouldn't they? HR and any range dps at BIS level does better than GWF anyhow.
  • Options
    ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User

Moral of the story: dont be a dumb GWF charging head on, when u have support to keep you alive. and if you die, dont blame everyone else cuz u suck. This why ppl ask for the ranged DPSers more often than up close and personal big sword swinging dummy, and why shouldn't they? HR and any range dps at BIS level does better than GWF anyhow.

I'd disagree damage wise, though surviabilty yes a Gwf is at a disadvantage. If a gf doesn't use the aggro ring, or the OP doesn't do it's job n' aggro the Gwf can very easily take aggro due to dps.
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I'd disagree damage wise, though surviabilty yes a Gwf is at a disadvantage. If a gf doesn't use the aggro ring, or the OP doesn't do it's job n' aggro the Gwf can very easily take aggro due to dps.
    Easiest solution(s):

Hire a better GF and/or hire a better Tankadin.

XD

But, seriously, try not to run ahead of the tanks, let them get the 10% aggro threshold and establish all their aggro effects (Tab Mark, Judge, Binding Oath, etc.).

• Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    > @ltsmithneko said:
    >
    > I'd disagree damage wise, though surviabilty yes a Gwf is at a disadvantage. If a gf doesn't use the aggro ring, or the OP doesn't do it's job n' aggro the Gwf can very easily take aggro due to dps.

Aggro ring? Do you mean underdark Charging Bull?
    Yeah. No. Not so much
    (Edit: oops. Used UNwelcome link)

That is not how we hold aggro.
    I am not anti GWF, btw. Run with them all the time. They kill real good.
    .. just don't mooooaar 3 mob packs ahead.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Mod removed edited comment with bad link.

When my group used to use the ring it worked just fine, now we use OP though. :P (if thats supposed to be a link it doesn't work ^.^ ) As for moar packs that's typically meuh tank-poo's job as long as they have darks of coarse. lol
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'd like to disagree on the "GWF is durr top paingiver" myth, as it is only that, a myth in my opinion. Ive seen just about every other dmg dealer deal tons more than GWF even on bad day. my honest opinion that myth is based on situational encounters where ppl only look at pain giver charts and not actual act logs running with other players of similar gear and item level. unless those big egg heads like fabricant or rjc have tested that myth with actual act logs or something concrete, not just a situational paingiver chart, or a etos run where so and so GWF hit so and so mil with IBS.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    We're not talking about top paingiver here. Go back to your FOTM forum.
  • Options
    chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Well I am a little relieved that I am not the only one having this problem. It sure does seem to me that only the truly elite GWF's get invited to FBI or Spellplague, and there are only very few of them. (I certainly am not one.)

As far as the "running ahead and dying a lot" complaint about GWFs: It is a bit of a pickle, honestly. GWFs are judged harshly on their damage output, and the paingiver chart rewards those who run ahead. So if we run ahead, we might get higher paingiver numbers - with a hope, anyway, of getting added to someone's friends list for a future run - but then we are accused of not letting the tanks do their jobs and causing wipes unnecessarily. But if we do things right, and not rush ahead like we're supposed to, then our paingiver numbers suffer and we are accused of being terrible GWFs. Just today I was in FBI and the other DPSer in the run called me a HAMSTER GWF because I was 2nd in DPS and not 1st. What went unmentioned, of course, was that I avoided the red, I had zero deaths, I let the tank lead before rushing in, I didn't aggro 10 giants at once, and it was a nevertheless smooth 30-min run or so.

So for the non-GWFs out there, please tell us the standard by which you want us to be judged. To be top paingiver? Or to be a good teammate? I would rather be a good teammate, but I don't like being told that I'm a terrible GWF when my damage numbers suffer a bit as a result.

And yes I know there are those GWFs who can be top paingiver always, but then they are the truly elite who don't have to worry about these things.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    The top paingiver thing is a holdover from mods 6-9: before bondings became popular, before lostmauth nerf, before unstoppable nerf, before other classes re-worked.

Back then I used to do twice the damage of the rest of the party and there were endless "nerf GWF" threads in the forum.
  • Options
    chemjeff said:

Well I am a little relieved that I am not the only one having this problem. It sure does seem to me that only the truly elite GWF's get invited to FBI or Spellplague, and there are only very few of them. (I certainly am not one.)

As far as the "running ahead and dying a lot" complaint about GWFs: It is a bit of a pickle, honestly. GWFs are judged harshly on their damage output, and the paingiver chart rewards those who run ahead. So if we run ahead, we might get higher paingiver numbers - with a hope, anyway, of getting added to someone's friends list for a future run - but then we are accused of not letting the tanks do their jobs and causing wipes unnecessarily. But if we do things right, and not rush ahead like we're supposed to, then our paingiver numbers suffer and we are accused of being terrible GWFs. Just today I was in FBI and the other DPSer in the run called me a HAMSTER GWF because I was 2nd in DPS and not 1st. What went unmentioned, of course, was that I avoided the red, I had zero deaths, I let the tank lead before rushing in, I didn't aggro 10 giants at once, and it was a nevertheless smooth 30-min run or so.

So for the non-GWFs out there, please tell us the standard by which you want us to be judged. To be top paingiver? Or to be a good teammate? I would rather be a good teammate, but I don't like being told that I'm a terrible GWF when my damage numbers suffer a bit as a result.

And yes I know there are those GWFs who can be top paingiver always, but then they are the truly elite who don't have to worry about these things.

You a good GWF in my book, You dont run up to the mountain aggro everything then die and blame the tank. so u get points for that. dont worry about paingiver chart if you accomplish what u set out to do, which was beat the dungeon. as long as you contributed all is fine. As far as the FBIs and SVAs go, you are going to get outdmged by the ranged classes, that is unless u can take those hits and stand in the middle of those giants. If u cant, better follow that tank and stay close to DC.
  • Options

We're not talking about top paingiver here. Go back to your FOTM forum.

correct, we talking about dumb gwfs charging ahead and dying, then blaming everyone else. So go back to dying.
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    my group often pull 2 groups of mobs in FBI then rekt them recklessly, ppl mostly survivev the waves fine, but even if it wipes, its hella fun hahahhah
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    icelantern#6553 icelantern Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

It's hard to judge without actually being there or at least have some more info such as how much did he beat you by and the gear you guys are wearing. If you're playing too passively and it's resulting in fights dragging on because your damage is much lower than it should then I can understand their complaint. If he beat you by a significant amount but your gear is significantly better than his, then I can see their point (though I don't agree with using insults). Not saying that you're wrong or that they're wrong. I'm just saying that it's hard to judge without enough info and that one extreme isn't necessarily better than the other.