test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tomb of Annihilation- Reactions

Comments

• hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    Got to be honest, unless they release a new class I'm out.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Mod removed edited quote to fix code.

Chult always had dinosaurs. They never went extinct on Toril. I do expect Yuan-Ti enemies.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    It would be an even bigger incentive for VIP and the price of Divine Injury Kits would skyrocket.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    > @pitshade said:
    > It would be an even bigger incentive for VIP and the price of Divine Injury Kits would skyrocket.

This. They should make the Tomb of Horrors (reimagined) traps random and super hard hitting.
    Basically, make it a major advantage to bring a rogue.
    Multiple mob spawns to encourage CC, a few roosting ranged mobs only reachable by ranged toons, and there you have it:
    A dungeon perfect for rainbow parties.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    > @hustin1 said:
    > Just don't try to shoehorn Mordenkainen into the Realms. Not now, not ever. THAT would indeed be blasphemous.

On phone, so quoting borked. Anywho...

Nah, Mordenkainen has visited the Realms, and I am sure he will continue to do so. Besides, ever hear of "The Wizards Three?" They are short stories by Ed Greenwood telling tales of the meetings by Elminster (Forgotten Realms), Mordenkainen (Greyhawk), and Dalamar (Dragonlance). The Simbul has often snuck in on some of the meetings too, in guise as an inanimate object. Furthermore, even if magical travel between Worlds (Campaigns) couldn't be achieved, all three have numerous Spelljamming ports throughout their respective Crystal Spheres and are all linked, in some fashion in the Phlogiston.

It is not blasphemous, it is canon.
  • aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User

baeyorn said:

am somewhat excited..

Tomb of Horrors is The penultimaate classic scare-your-chit right out of you module from the early days of AD&D.

In fact, the description for the module states ""or possibly found deep in a jungle".

Granted the original module was tough as hell.. but if the Tomb Of Annihilation is setup 1/8 as hard..
    .. there will be wailing in the streets
    .. people will be reading their clothes and walking around semi-nay-kid.
    .. skeletal dogs and caturday survivors living together.
    .. mass forum hysteria.

It will be GLORIOUS!!

-- sips coffee --

looks good to me!

B)

I must disagree with Aimeesellers.

Actually, Tomb of Horrors was a gawdawful mess of a module that had so many, "You're dead because the module said so, no save" moments it was all but unplayable. Literally if you entered a certain room a colourless, odourless gas would make you dead no save. Or the "classic" touching a disguised Sphere of Annhialation where, "Oops, you're dead, no save." It was not a lot of fun to have so many railroaded character deaths. Note that TSR Inc. and the companies that bought them NEVER put out another module like it. They learned their lesson well. Cryptic better have learned that lesson from the Elemental Evil debacle.

If they really wanna do a scary dungeon they could always do Undermountain.

I would also like to point out that I spelled "colourless" and "odourless" correctly so spellcheck can just stop trying to tell me that my Canadian English is wrong. It's American English that's wrong!

Thats your opinion, and everyone has their own opinion about it. Some hated it... others loved it. Most I knew that played it loved it... because we played it for what it was... a stand alone dungeon designed to make people think, and laugh. Those that expected to blow through it with a hack and slash approach hated it. It also depended on your DM as well. DM's that just read off the page are boring... doesnt matter what module it is. DM's that put effort into running a game, could breathe life into any dungeon... even one off the shelf. 90% of the adventures we ran were custom built for custom worlds. The nights we ran modules were for taking a break from our campaign characters.

In any case... this post isnt about who loved and who hated ToH. Its about what would be needed to pull off that kind of setting in a computer game. I dont think they can do it.
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    so far too soon for new expansion, its a good content but will be another one filled with bugs as always, another grind fest to keep player in game, end game trial/dungeon?? will it reward players for the time spent on the run? or will it rewards crappy r5 rewards to endgame players? basicly endgame player only thing doing is farm mastercraft ingredients/make mastercraft items to sell, make ad profit exchange to zen get some Dragon key from zen store and be ready for new expansion/dungeons.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    New dungeon is pointless when you can't even motivate people to run the latest one. Wtf would this one drop, rank 4s and pearls?
  • geriatrick#9029 geriatrick Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    The last thing this game needed was another grindy campaign. This game does one thing well and thats dungeons. They keep forgetting about that.

Very sad to see this, but im sure there will be many people excited to see a dino mount or some such nonsense.

Professions need a total rework and loot/gear/currency for gear needs to start dropping in dungeons again.
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    ghoulz66 said:

New dungeon is pointless when you can't even motivate people to run the latest one. Wtf would this one drop, rank 4s and pearls?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eZRGhfnIzFY
  • c3rb3r3c3rb3r3 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Cryptic needs to bring some fresh things to the table. if it's only another mod with another dungeon, another map and another boon grind it's gonna be very disappointing.
  • earlgreybeardearlgreybeard Member Posts: 407 Arc User

Got to be honest, unless they release a new class I'm out.

my spider sense is telling me this would be the perfect place to release a shaman class.. maybe not when the mod 1st drops but sometime in that jungle shamans will join the fight against evilarsed badguys everywhere :)
    Guild Leader Den of the Misfits
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    I don't see a new class as the class balancing hasn't been announced as completed.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User

Mount is the best :dizzy: mythic maybe ??? :wink:

Probably more of an homage... like Lord Marshall William Hollister.
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    greywynd said:

I don't see a new class as the class balancing hasn't been announced as completed.

If they are going to wait for the classes to be balances, then they will never release a new one. The last pass to receive a balance pass was the Cleric ... and that was in Mod 10. Lets assume they do the Rogue in mod 12. At once class every other module it will be years before they are done.

From a business perspective, new classes are actually huge moneymakers for Cryptic. A new character needs EVERYTHING .... so its another chance to sell wards to make enchants, campaign completions, items like trowels and black ice picks. Established players tend to flock to the new character to try it out, so it also revitalizes the old content in a way as everyone now needs to run it.

So with that in mind ... I'd be very surprised if they waited to finish the class balancing before releasing a new class.
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User

So... since they are going to do it regardless of what anyone says or thinks... the only way "Tomb of Annihilation" can be even close to "Tomb of Horrors"... is if they do things like this:

- The whole dungeon needs to be treated like a boss lair. You die... thats it, you are out.
    - Traps need to be instant death... like the pits in eCC. The so called traps we have now most people ignore, and VIP players are immune to.
    - The dungeon needs to be different EVERY TIME YOU RUN IT. The rooms and traps need to be randomly generated and placed when the map is created for the party... Diablo style.

... this is why our players are glad I GM our weekly Roleplaying game and not you Aimee! They'd have no chance!
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

If the only thing someone is concerned about is 'what lootz is drop", then perhaps they are in the wrong place.

• silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    litaaers said:

ghoulz66 said:

If the only thing someone is concerned about is 'what lootz is drop", then perhaps they are in the wrong place.

Possibly but since this game has turned into "work" for some things/areas, don't we deserve to get "paid" for out effort? No one that I am aware of plays this game to stay average. We must "work" to enhance our characters. The system inside the game has necessitated that we use our "rewards" as stepping stones to better gear/boons/mounts/etc. If the rewards aren't appropriate, folks won't run new content. That may be a sad commentary on us as players but that's the "reality" that we live in in Neverwinter.

I aim to misbehave
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    I don't know why folks are still itching for a new class. You all know how it will work:

1) Cryptic announces a new class (FotM) and loads on the Preview.
    2) People jump on it and play it with abandon, noting the various bugs, exploits, ridiculously overpowered abilities.
    3) The problems are not remedied before it goes live.
    4) FotM is played by the masses (as expected) and the chorus and howls for nerfs ensues.
    5) Time passes
    6) The 'Balance' Hammer smites the offending class into obvilion and the FotM goes out of favor.
    7) The Cycle begins anew

Just finish balancing the classes, then introduce a new class after it's been play tested and balanced before it goes live.

Now wrt the Tomb of Annihilation, I really hope they can make the endgame dungeon as 'deadly' as Tomb of Horrors that many of us remember. I believe someone above mentioned the idea of the rooms changing with each iteration. I really like that idea! I'd also like it if they introduce something like milestones coupled with party wipes. If the party makes it to the first milestone (similar to the Bronze level in IG) without wiping, they get a reward. If they press on and wipe before the second, the dungeon ends and so on. That coupled with a changing layout each run would provide a fine challenge imho. The rewards need to be attactive to ZOMG and worth pain the dungeon brings. That's my two cents.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • jano#8078 jano Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    I think Undermountain would be really cool. Every level cleared gives an increasingly better reward with the chance to stay or leave after the level is cleared. Each level would be a complete dungeon so rewards would have to compensate for time invested. Each level should also be completely different than the last.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    They've said a new class was originally slated for this module but was returned to the back burner due to lack of resources to get it done in time. It's inevitable though.

I don't particularly understand the people who say that new classes are the only thing that keeps them interested in NW, but I guess if you have no desire to continue building up an existing character and want to start tabula rasa constantly, it would get dull.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User

Professions need a total rework and loot/gear/currency for gear needs to start dropping in dungeons again.

Agreed dungeons should no longer be an AD farm location. That is all they are now
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• thegreatmikeythegreatmikey Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    I am pretty sure the next new class is going to be druid. They would fit into Chult well.
  • elmeister#2511 elmeister Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

so far too soon for new expansion, its a good content but will be another one filled with bugs as always, another grind fest to keep player in game, end game trial/dungeon?? will it reward players for the time spent on the run? or will it rewards crappy r5 rewards to endgame players? basicly endgame player only thing doing is farm mastercraft ingredients/make mastercraft items to sell, make ad profit exchange to zen get some Dragon key from zen store and be ready for new expansion/dungeons.

Endgame players by definition do not have progression left. That said, this game definitely needs more endgame challenge, coupled with comparable rewards. But by definition these rewards can not be progression, but rather a tradeable currency (AD) or boasting rights (record times) because endgame challenge literally means challenge at the end of progression. If progression is gated behind content that is still challenging after said progression is achieved, either the content will be easy afterwards, or it will be downright impossible before said progress.
  • flambridgeflambridge Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 191 Arc User
    My reaction?

I LOVE CHULT!

• elmeister#2511 elmeister Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    mynaam said:

Agreed dungeons should no longer be an AD farm location. That is all they are now

Dungeons being AD farm locations is the best thing that can be. Running the most difficult dungeon content with a competent group needs to be the best AD farm value/time, otherwise there is no point in dungeons. I did 200 runs of FBI on my tank to complete my relic set. With my cleric it took me a lucky 12 runs (to find the pieces I need). If fbi was not an AD farm location, there would be 0 reason for me to ever run FBI again. And if you want content to stay relevant, you need to nuke droprates way lower, but I doubt anyone wants lower droprates. I can assure you that opening the 200th chest to find a wrong piece of equipment is frustrating. Or 500 chests without a legendary ring. But if we want to keep content relevant because of equipment drops, BiS equipment drop rates need to go down to a level where the average 'set completion' rate is counted in the hundreds, perhaps thousands of runs. For a casual player this is just unbearable.

Actually thinking about it, while SoMI content has got a whole lot of bad rap, the market economy it created is pretty awesome. Every single activity related has a very real sence of progression, whether it's HEs, fishing, or running FBI. The only 'odd man out' is SVA/mSVA which offer very little stand alone rewards, and farming for keys makes farming either for ring/eq drops an unreasonable option, given there is little to no 'free' rewards. While buying 50 lanolin to refine a chest piece sucks, this hefty requirement makes lanolin a farmable and tradeable asset, which is always a great drop, whether from a HE or treasure chest.

I personally enjoy running the most difficult content available. Running it fast, smooth or with challenging setups is what is interesting for me in the game. But if I know that I would be profiting more (and yes, AD is the only way to measure 'profit' in a way that has relevance to everyone regardless of progression) while performing a simpler and thus more repetitive task, this will lessen my enjoyment of the game. There's no limit on AD progression, unlike gear progression. Extra ad always has a value, and thus it always has relevance.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    > @litaaers said:
    > New dungeon is pointless when you can't even motivate people to run the latest one. Wtf would this one drop, rank 4s and pearls?
    >
    > If the only thing someone is concerned about is 'what lootz is drop", then perhaps they are in the wrong place.

You know, in principal ("how content SHOULD be structured ") you are correct @litaaers .
    But what @ghoulz66 said is historically accurate.
    The past few Mods have been grind-to-open single dungeons with rare anemic loot.
    FBI, SVA and mSP are structured in a way that discourages casual "just for fun" runs.
    Cryptic has trained us to view them as work, not fun.

I hope Mod12 will need different.
    But there if Mod 12 will has the same grind-open-poor-reward... can we really blame anyone for being skeptical?
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.