test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tomb of Annihilation- Reactions

dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10525423

Pros:
Chult- very interesting environment , many new monster, companion and mount opportunities.
Velociraptor mount? Yes, please.
Dinosaurs. Always good.
A Tomb of Horrors homage dungeon. Cool.
Lots of traps... if they are made meaningful again... maybe requiring a TR to succeed in a dungeon? Cool.
Cons:
Minor point, but the Greyhawk/ Forgotten Realms basterdization offends some Gygaxian purists.
And more undead ahead. Zzzzz.

Your reactions?
JrUzbQw.jpg?1
I am Took.
"Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.

Comments

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    I just hope they wont gate the dungeon, or if, it will be account unlock somewhat similar to eDemo.
  • sigillmacfinnsigillmacfinn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    T-Rex mount anyone ;)
    ..... rolling 1's for over 25 years .....

The Harbingers' Forums - What Class Are You - Search The Neverwinter Wiki

• majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Trip down to Chult - Nice. A yuan-ti pureblood would make for an interesting companion, or better...as a playable character. Mobs of Yuan-ti, their servitors, dinosaurs and with a Sarrukh lich (or a live one) as the end boss will be a nice change of pace from the streams of Trolls, Frost giants, Demons, Drow and other sundry monsters we've been fighting. Here's hoping the storyline content is tight and woven into the grind, something along the lines of Underdark or Maze Engine vice Storm King's Thunder. Can't wait to see it on preview.

Mod edit to fix broken code.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    Sorry, no new class, no real money, been waiting way too long, should have had 2 or 3 at least since the last one, is what keeps me interested. Shame, the rest of it looks quite cool.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    I'm not really a Gygaxian Cultist, but I do get tired of WotC taking the core "cool" element from every classic adventure or story in the game's history from other settings and shoe-horning it into the Realms. Rage of Demons is the only original-ish storyline they've done. Sure, they dress'em up differently, but now Tiamat trying to enter the world is used up from Dragonlance. Elemental Evil cultists, Giant invasion, and Acererak and his dealy tomb are all used up from Greyhawk. Why don't they stick to looting the history of the Realms instead of looting every other world's history? Is there just nothing as interesting to loot?

That said, riding a velociraptor while running away from a zombie T-Rex vomiting up zombies sounds pretty cool!
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I can't wait for dinosaurs! The one in the trailer looked amazing. I hope the mounts do too, I'm sure they will. There are some amazing artists working at Cryptic.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Damn....just got my gear looking fine for the North...guess I will have to pull a voodoo and garner some hopefully cool fashion to blend in with the natives.

@oria1
    Post edited by niadan on
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Strider hmmm...
    So triceratops mount is coming?
    +2000 defence +2000 deflect
    Mount power: Stampede, A herd of triceratops run through the area knocking back opponents for 15000 damage then prone lasts 3 seconds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • pandoratanakapandoratanaka Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

So will we need 30% Dinosaur Breath Resist before we can enter the new dungeon? And will we empower the new gear with Dinosaur Blood?

Hahhaha omfg I wouldn't even be surprised.

Still, Dinosaurs look pretty cool. Reminds me of the old Tomb Raider for some reason.

Please please Cryptic make this module actually fun.
  • thegreatmikeythegreatmikey Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    pterias said:

I'm not really a Gygaxian Cultist, but I do get tired of WotC taking the core "cool" element from every classic adventure or story in the game's history from other settings and shoe-horning it into the Realms. Rage of Demons is the only original-ish storyline they've done. Sure, they dress'em up differently, but now Tiamat trying to enter the world is used up from Dragonlance. Elemental Evil cultists, Giant invasion, and Acererak and his dealy tomb are all used up from Greyhawk. Why don't they stick to looting the history of the Realms instead of looting every other world's history? Is there just nothing as interesting to loot?

That said, riding a velociraptor while running away from a zombie T-Rex vomiting up zombies sounds pretty cool!

*Queue old guy rant.*

Yeah, the Forgotton Realms has it's whole own vast treasury of codexed lore. It's got no need to steal HAMSTER that ain't theirs and say it is. It says something pretty bad about Forgotton Realms staff and stuff that they have to keep taking stuff from an actually cool setting like Greyhawk. If they ever steal Iuz I may have to cry.

Too bad there's no official Greyhawk mod to re-skin/voice this game with.

• praendlpraendl Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Will we see Marshall, Will and Holly? Enquiring minds want to know...;)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Dinosaurs! Fantastic! Dinosaurs were among the first encounters for my PCs back when my FR Campaign was new, as was traveling through Chult enroute to Halruaa. This was back in '93, some 24 years ago... Fun times!

Saurials.... too... They need to be a playable race asap!
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Only near the obelisks.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    It has the potential to be very interesting. I never really cared for the idea of dinosaurs in Chult, but I'm willing to keep an open mind for now.

Just don't try to shoehorn Mordenkainen into the Realms. Not now, not ever. THAT would indeed be blasphemous.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User

*Queue old guy rant.*

Yeah, the Forgotton Realms has it's whole own vast treasury of codexed lore. It's got no need to steal HAMSTER that ain't theirs and say it is. It says something pretty bad about Forgotton Realms staff and stuff that they have to keep taking stuff from an actually cool setting like Greyhawk. If they ever steal Iuz I may have to cry.

Too bad there's no official Greyhawk mod to re-skin/voice this game with.

I was afraid they'd steal Vecna! The adventure sounds really cool, but if it had some Realms lich running the show instead of a Greyhawk lich, it'd be much better. I would also have a better chance of getting this adventure path going in my 5E gaming group.

It's a shame they don't capitalize on what the Realms already has to offer, they don't really need to take from other settings. Heck, this game was doing cool stuff with Valindra, Thay, Cult of the Dragon, and Icewind Dale before the 5E storylines got started. They're just trying to rub everyone's nostalgia feelz by taking familiar ideas from all the old classics. A better idea would be to allow new people to experience those things in their native environment, but that would involve supporting a setting other than FR. Luckily, my group also plays AD&D, so if we want to play any of these things, we can do it legit. :sunglasses:

I'm a big fan of what they've done with the game in 5E. It's the game I felt should have come after 2nd Edition instead of what was 3E. This is one of the few things I am disappointed by. I am disappoint.
  • matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

So will we need 30% Dinosaur Breath Resist before we can enter the new dungeon? And will we empower the new gear with Dinosaur Blood?

Naw, this time they going green, methane even. Dino Poo! Yup, scrapping up dino fecal matter to feed your armor gross seems about right! :)

• arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    I am so looking forward to the inevitable HE's that will pad out the almost certain minimum level of content.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    zebular said:

Dinosaurs! Fantastic! Dinosaurs were among the first encounters for my PCs back when my FR Campaign was new, as was traveling through Chult enroute to Halruaa. This was back in '93, some 24 years ago... Fun times!

Saurials.... too... They need to be a playable race asap!

It's pretty damn absurd we haven't gotten a new race since the dragonborn, which came out before there were dinosaurs!!!
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    We ain't dinosaurs!
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    I am very sceptical about the new module. I will probably miss content again like the mods before. 10minutes/day for dailys and thats it. The dungeon will probably need 30 days to be unlocked as always. As someone who has done everything until now (campaigns, dungeons etc.) I doubt M12 can entertain me longer then 30 days.

There are still so many old dungeons that are just waiting to be released but instead we get 1 dungeon. Depending on the rewards we will see if it will be eve worth running it.

I think the game has reached a point where a huge change matches. Similar to M6. Itemlvl is on a point where +- 1000 has almost no impact and the content went pretty easy again as well. Just my opinion about M12. I am hoping for something totally new for M13.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    As another 1st edition veteran, I'm ok with utilizing diverse elements from D&D's past. Is Grayhawk even supported anymore? Apart from a few return trips and mentions, it basically got swept out the door along with its creator long ago. There really isn't much reason to have competing game worlds and yet it would be a shame to let so much heritage remain on a dusty shelf.

If you read the original Forgotten Realms sourcebook, it was obvious that the world was just a hodgepodge of stock fantasy settings. Not slamming it - TSR just boughy the rights to Ed Greenwood's house setting and most of us who made our own worlds did so the same way. A pinch of Tolkien, a dash of Dunsany, some Moorcock for flavor...

As far as hopes for the campaign, it is basically a foregone conclusion that there will be dailies and the dungeon will be time gated to unlock. What we can hope for is that the dailies are freeform like Underdark or Cloaked Ascendancy and that the dungeon unlock will be account and not character. Oh, and BTA rewards like Underdark rings. No more Ostorian Ring of Salvage when an alt could use it.

If anything, let the devs realize thay BtA and account unlocks are good for player satisfaction (and thus retention) A time gate to prevent people finishing the content in a few days is to be expected, but doing it per character is rotten.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User

Your reactions?

So over all theme is > abandoned island/land of ancient civilization, which now is inhabitant by dinosaurs and possible that undead zombies are just mummies from forgotten temple. :)
    So it's like mayan ruins amazon rainforest. :)
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • baeyornbaeyorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    am somewhat excited..

Tomb of Horrors is The penultimaate classic scare-your-chit right out of you module from the early days of AD&D.

In fact, the description for the module states ""or possibly found deep in a jungle".

Granted the original module was tough as hell.. but if the Tomb Of Annihilation is setup 1/8 as hard..
    .. there will be wailing in the streets
    .. people will be reading their clothes and walking around semi-nay-kid.
    .. skeletal dogs and caturday survivors living together.
    .. mass forum hysteria.

It will be GLORIOUS!!

-- sips coffee --

looks good to me!

B)