test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power gain from HP

armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
Hey guys, we all know that the prot pally gains 10% of HP as power depending on incoming damage but I was wondering if anyone's tested how much damage this requires and if it's impacted by DR?
Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
Xane De Armadeon: CW
Zen De Armadeon: OP
Zohar De Armadeon: TR
Chrion De Armadeon: SW
Gosti Big Belly: GWF
Barney McRustbucket: GF
Lt. Thackeray: HR
Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox

Comments

• tervijawn#8726 tervijawn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    From what I've seen, its take damage (doesn't matter if its to temp HP or regular HP) and then get the buff.
  • n7w3av3rn7w3av3r Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    It doesn't take much damage, this is a random mob in the stronghold and my current DR is around 95% with COP.

xboxdvr.com/gamer/robmdc/video/31913349
  • thrilk#9892 thrilk Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    As a PS4 player I don't have access to good stat tools but I can tell you anecdotally.

Resting I have about 25k power. With bonding up it goes up to about 50k. When bad guys start hitting on me it jumps to about 80-90k and can climb over 100k. That is without group buffs. That is from test with some basic stronghold baddies beating on me. My DR is 55% with no CoP or Divine Call being used.

I have 230k hp.

I use Deepknight, 32k guild HP boon, all radiants and Energon all to Max my HP.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    Haven't tested thoroughly.

Anecdotally, it goes up pretty quickly in battle, and is trivial to keep up close to max in any dungeon. That leads me to hypothesize that it's using pre-mitigated damage, otherwise I'd have a tougher time keeping it up in T1 content. Either that or I'm dramatically underestimating just how much post-mitigation damage I'm taking in T1s.

Also anecdotally, easy to keep up doing small HEs in RD, or soloing campaign content. Often times stuff dies before I get all the way spun up.
  • boromir#3940 boromir Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    I've heard that the max HP of teammates plays a role for them too. Any truth to this? Or is it the protector pally's HP that matters only?

I've heard that the max HP of teammates plays a role for them too. Any truth to this? Or is it the protector pally's HP that matters only?

Maybe you're confusing 2 different things?

Oath of Protection - gain power up to 10% of Max HP - That's for the OP only, based on OP's max HP only.

Aura of Courage - deal damage based on % Max HP with each hit - That's for everyone within aura range, based on each individual's max HP.
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    armadeonx said:

Hey guys, we all know that the prot pally gains 10% of HP as power depending on incoming damage but I was wondering if anyone's tested how much damage this requires and if it's impacted by DR?

Tested this too. Basically works as follows:

Every point of damage taken over the last 15(ish) seconds is converted to power, capped at 10% HPs.

So, if you take zero damage (due to Shielding Strike or Divine Touch) you get zero power. If you have 80% DR, your power will go up slower than if you have 50% DR, but as long as you take 10% HP in damage over 15 sec continuously, you will remain at capped power bonus.

This bonus power is based off the "ZZZ" in the "you take ZZZ (YYY) damage..." line in the combat log, and is a sum total of damage taken over the last 15 seconds.

*edit = apparently X X X is a bad word
    **edit 2: This could be why people are seeing better DPS with Oath Strike over Shielding Strike.
    hirogarde said:

armadeonx said:

Tested this too. Basically works as follows:

Every point of damage taken over the last 15(ish) seconds is converted to power, capped at 10% HPs.

So, if you take zero damage (due to Shielding Strike or Divine Touch) you get zero power. If you have 80% DR, your power will go up slower than if you have 50% DR, but as long as you take 10% HP in damage over 15 sec continuously, you will remain at capped power bonus.

This bonus power is based off the "ZZZ" in the "you take ZZZ (YYY) damage..." line in the combat log, and is a sum total of damage taken over the last 15 seconds.

*edit = apparently X X X is a bad word
    **edit 2: This could be why people are seeing better DPS with Oath Strike over Shielding Strike.
    Sounds like it's using post-mitigated damage, thanks for testing.

For Oath vs. Shielding strike, I would posit that it also has to do with attack speed and Aura of Courage doing damage per hit.

Geez I guess taking up to 20-30K damage isn't that hard to do in 15 seconds even if you've capped DR and have IDR

• armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Yeah thanks Hiro, that's the core of the question, post mitigation, hmm. The other part would also indicate that the higher your HP, the more damage you'll need to take to reach the 10% - so at 250k HP you'll need to take 25k of post mitigated damage to achieve max power - and obviously the faster you take that 25k the faster you reach max power.

Cool, interesting stuff.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    hirogarde said:

I'm glad we have you here in The Citadel with us, thanks for doing some testing around this!
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Do items like survivors wraps work for this?
    niadan said:

Do items like survivors wraps work for this?

Yes I believe so.