test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Overflow bag changes, thumbs down

Comments

• qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    litaaers said:

qexotic said:

P.S. I stumbled across another place where the changes can be irritating. I put together an IG Bronze Only Fleece run with a target of doing 5 runs. After three, we had to stop because one of the party had accumulated more than 10 items in his overflow slots just from doing the skirmish. Until he reduced the number, he wasn't allowed to queue.

No doubt irritating, but when you queue for things, knowing this is in effect, you don't carry your lunch, too.
    Come again ? I'm sorry but that sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. In this particular instance, nobody in the Private Queue Group/Party I put together was even aware that this 'feature' existed, i.e. having more than 10 items in your overflow meant you could not queue. It was not mentioned in either the Preview Patch Notes or Maintenance Patch notes published by Cryptic, so how was I or anyone else supposed to know about it other than stumbling across it by accident ?
    litaaers said:

What it boils down to is, don't use your bags as permanent storage. I understand there are lots of items @beckylunatic , but that does not mean we need to keep each and every one. Fireworks are instant AD (small change, but AD nonetheless) because there will always be RP'ers and people who want to celebrate, be annoyances, etc. People just need to figure what they want to keep, and what the can buy when they need it.

And should anyone say 'If they make it in game, I should be able to use it", I say yes, just not all at the same time.

'Don't use your bags for permanent storage', so what are we supposed to use to store things that we want to keep permanently ? I do get rid of things I don't need at frequent intervals but I also have to allow room for temporary storage. Not everything in that category can be sold on the AH, anything that is BtoA of BtoC has to be retained until it can be used to its best advantage...or just junked. This latest change just means I have to spend even more of my game time processing inventory rather than actually keeping myself entertained by playing the game.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited May 2017

Ya, no bank, no mail and no quest turn-ins for having overflow is not the way the game is designed. So, this is going to cause many headaches. The game is designed so that when we get overflow, we can put stuff in the bank or mail. This change breaks the game, especially for new and f2p players.

Wait! Are you saying when it has overflow, you cannot even move stuff to the bank to open up some space in the inventory? If so, where can the stuff go?
    You will just have to discard and/or use everything that is keeping your inventory full, in a worse case scenario.
    I am missing something. I have just tried it. I have just opened enchanted coffers to have overflow. I still can move stuff to the bank directly from the overflow bag. I still can access mail and send stuff to myself. I can also AH stuff.

Wait! Did they apply this patch?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    qexotic said:

'Don't use your bags for permanent storage', so what are we supposed to use to store things that we want to keep permanently ?

The bank, for one. Shared bank, for another. Other, lesser used characters, for another. Guild storage, if so inclined. If you have VIP, AH posting, if you ABSOLUTELY have to (as that is not meant for that purpose, either. Although it was come about in a different way).

If you fill all of those up.... I would think you could start prioritizing, at that point.

I am not calling people hoarders, nor am I saying that inventory fine the way it is. I *am* saying that there is a point at which its too much.

I have a main character that I use all the time. I have maxed out her personal bank. I also maxed out shared bank slots. I have a bunch of stuff from the Winter Fest that I will sell on the AH (if prices go up) or use on the 6 other characters I have in various states of leveling.

I made a Stronghold for my 7 characters, so I have space there. If/when I need more space, I either pay for more Guild storage, or make more characters, or prioritize. The onus is NOT on the game to make sure I get to store everything I come across. That's all I'm saying.

For the time you spent with your mates queueing, either chalk it up to loss or be upset about it. Although, I was pretty sure they mentioned the overflow change (in general at least) in the patch notes. Honestly, if I saw they were making changes to overflow, I would not be too put out if my run got borked because I didn't clear out my overflow.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    They mentioned overflow changes without elaborating on the specifics, but claimed they hoped it would not significantly impact gameplay for most players. That's up in the air.

I'll see how it is when I actually generate enough stuff to get things in overflow. As I've said before, I find existing measures are sufficient that I can't even have one item in overflow before it starts to negatively impact my gameplay, so I don't use it for storage, ever.

I own a lot of bought storage space. I still spend what I'd consider an obnoxious amount of time attempting to keep it somewhat organized, despite efforts to not let it get out of control.

It's important to keep in mind that games (and other software) are made for human users, and comfort and ease of use are critical to good design. Clicking a mouse might be uncomfortable or even painful for some users. That is a problem that can be at least partially addressed by finding ways to reduce the amount of repetitive clicking where possible. Good design is intuitive. Good design is accessible. And good design doesn't unnecessarily burden its customers. And that's why feedback like this is worth making, because it tells them what isn't working for players and what they need to look at.

See for example, the current preview patch in which a setting has been moved to a more intuitive and functional location, based on user feedback.

Very often, feedback is met with the equivalent of, "If you don't like it, shut up", not by the devs (thanks, devs), but by other players. That doesn't help people create better feedback, just discourages their input.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    reg1981 said:

The overflow bag is not meant to hold stuff, it's there to catch a reward or quest item so you don't miss out. Sure this will require people to buy bags or liquidate items but if someone is using the overflow bag as a ... well bag, then they needed to make that investment ages ago!

I logged in on Thursday after the patch. The first thing I did was open all the RP bags N packs I been saving for the 2x RP weekend. so now my overflow is full. No problem, right. I'll just post some stuff on the AH to make room. But wait.... I can't post anything! Because...... wait for it........ I have too many items in my overflow!!! I call HAMSTER muffins.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

They needed to address the inventory problems first, then implement this. Inventory problems such as: Quest items going to inventory, not the Useful items tab. Daily items (RD items), going to the regular tab instead of Useful items. RP items having 3 bind states, possibly more (because some of the same type don't stack), and having 150+ types of it. 2x events still being a thing, which means most people will horde stuff (they just need to go away honestly). VB items that require bag space, vouchers that require bag space, invoke rewards not stacking at all (really bad btw) etc etc etc etc.

I still don't believe people having hundreds of items in an overflow bag would cause problems - why is this bag seen any differently than a normal bag with inventory? Pretty sure there was a limit on overflow...if there wasn't, then I could see this change.

Still, this is a minor version of the key change debacle all over again. Make a bad change when better options exist.

Anyways, I don't use overflow so not a huge deal to me.

They did address the quest items/necessary items tab. Quest items go into inventory because the quest is supposed to be completed the same day it is picked up. :(

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Isn't there a loading screen tooltip: When your inventory starts getting full visit a vendor or some such?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited May 2017
    litaaers said:

I have a main character that I use all the time. I have maxed out her personal bank. I also maxed out shared bank slots. I have a bunch of stuff from the Winter Fest that I will sell on the AH (if prices go up) or use on the 6 other characters I have in various states of leveling.

I made a Stronghold for my 7 characters, so I have space there. If/when I need more space, I either pay for more Guild storage, or make more characters, or prioritize. The onus is NOT on the game to make sure I get to store everything I come across. That's all I'm saying.

Ah, I see. You are abusing the stronghold exploit which allows players to create personal strongholds. That was quite clearly never the intention when strongholds were introduced, they were aimed at groups of players not individuals. How does your approach here differ from the way some people have been using the overflow slots for temporary and/or slightly extended storage ? Both are an example of exploiting a loophole in the way things operate within the game. The Devs have chosen to close the overflow loophole, at some point they may also address the Personal Stronghold one although they may hold off on that one for a while as it would cause quite an outcry from people who have been abusing it for this long :)

• arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    its needs a tab(similar to key tab) for items that are used to complete quest, rp items not bound, wards(pres or coal) rewards bta( either from invk bags or the inv shop), etc...., .
    qexotic said:

litaaers said:

Ah, I see. You are abusing the stronghold exploit which allows players to create personal strongholds. That was quite clearly never the intention when strongholds were introduced, they were aimed at groups of players not individuals. How does your approach here differ from the way some people have been using the overflow slots for temporary and/or slightly extended storage ? Both are an example of exploiting a loophole in the way things operate within the game. The Devs have chosen to close the overflow loophole, at some point they may also address the Personal Stronghold one although they may hold off on that one for a while as it would cause quite an outcry from people who have been abusing it for this long :)

I was waiting for you to try to use this (I thought you might jump on it, as I was writing it, actually). Externalization is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

I didn't make the SH *for* the space. I made the SH for my adult children who play this game to be able to sync with me when playing, and have something to work towards. Unfortunately, they lost interest (being 21-27 y/o is apparently more interesting than fantasy covorting). So I am the only one left actively in the guild.

Should I abandon it then? So I'm not **EXPLOITING!!!1!**?

Sorry for the hyperbole, but I could have detailed your response on a card in a sealed envelope like Karnak the Magnificent. I can tell from how, in other posts, you respond when *I* respond to someone that you don't count me in the cool crowd. If I say boo, you say ghosts aren't allowed. That's your right. Just use it wisely.

Back to point, if, when a SH drops down to only one account as an active member (my children still log in now and then, just not often), how should this be handled? Do we close the SH and everything is lost? Or maybe just lock people out of queueing until they get another person in?

See how these situations differ? Not exactly the 'tua culpa' you were looking for?
    litaaers said:

qexotic said:

litaaers said:

I was waiting for you to try to use this (I thought you might jump on it, as I was writing it, actually). Externalization is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

I didn't make the SH *for* the space. I made the SH for my adult children who play this game to be able to sync with me when playing, and have something to work towards. Unfortunately, they lost interest (being 21-27 y/o is apparently more interesting than fantasy covorting). So I am the only one left actively in the guild.

To requote your original statement with regard to your personal stronghold and the reason it exists:
    litaaers said:

I made a Stronghold for my 7 characters, so I have space there.

As you originally stated it, you did make it as a personal stronghold which implied that you were consciously exploiting a feature. If it was made as a family stronghold, why didn't you just say that in the first place ? Coming back later with some spin to change what you said just makes you look bad. And in response to your question: yes you should abandon it as it is clearly an exploit.

• wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    i agreed with becky, and devs need to change loot drops, example, Platimium plates or cups, why dont they change into bigger pile of cash coins instead?
    it make me think devs are being trolling for limited bag slots and threw us with loads of new items, devs are bad and never did time to fix thier messy problems and just want more real cash from players, damn, they think small, what we need is a person from texas who thinks bigger.
  • werdandi#8366 werdandi Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    This overflow issue is very bad: we cannot complete the quests if there is overflow in the bag, but very often, this overflow comes from the quest itself (e.g collect a corpse in a river district dungeon) !!

I am obliged to discard some items. It is a shame I cannot do anything with my bag when there are some fishes/dragon bones shards/horns/whatever i HAD to collect because of quests.

Same for the professions: even if there is no physical reward going in the bag, there must be no overflow in the bag: that's just silly.
    You should definitely get back to the previous setting.

Side note, when the bag is full (but with no overflow), i cannot trade my ostorian relics either. To be corrected as well.
    Post edited by werdandi#8366 on
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    For those who does not have VIP, can you sell the stuff that is in the bag (not overflow) to AH to open up a slot?
    In addition, can you travel to PE?

I personally don't see a problem in my own situation because I have VIP to call up a bank and mail post.
    I do have space in the bank to move stuff around. I can mail the stuff that is in the bag (not overflow).
    I wonder if someone brings up a bank or mail post would help those who do not have VIP.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited May 2017
    qexotic said:

litaaers said:

qexotic said:

litaaers said:

To requote your original statement with regard to your personal stronghold and the reason it exists:
    litaaers said:

I made a Stronghold for my 7 characters, so I have space there.

As you originally stated it, you did make it as a personal stronghold which implied that you were consciously exploiting a feature. If it was made as a family stronghold, why didn't you just say that in the first place ? Coming back later with some spin to change what you said just makes you look bad. And in response to your question: yes you should abandon it as it is clearly an exploit.

My *sincerest* apologies for not including my thoughts at the time of SH creation. I didn't mention it 'in the first place' because it was an aside to the issue being discussed, storage space OTHER than depending on overflow. Next time you grace me with your presence, I'll be sure to include my pedigrees.

Some spin? Make *me* look bad? Are you being ironic, or serious? Perhaps you just pick a side and fight til the end? Or maybe I was right, and there are no ghosts allowed?

Ask around and see.... a SH gets built up, people leave and its basically disbanded. It *could* be useful in the future, but until then its exploitive in nature, so you should disband it and start all over when your ready, regardless of how much was put in.

I'd be interested how many people agree with you and think this is the way to go. @nitocris83 , could you ask about if this is considered an exploit, or are we just gnashing our teeth at each other?

Post edited by litaaers on
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    The only thing I would like to have is something telling me I have items in the overflow bag. Something like the inventory-bag flashy highlight you get when you still have to take your daily VIP stuff.
    Often when I'm farming something I can start filling my overflow bag and then when I need it empty to do some stuff (like when we organize a dungeon run) I get notified only when I have to queue and then I need to force people to wait.
    Getting an heads-up would be enough, so that I can decide if it's time to stop and clean the bags or to go on.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    I was in a dozy mental state and trying to turn in a quest in the Dread Ring, and a refinement bag from the prior turn-in was in my overflow. I triggered the "you may not turn in a quest with more than 1 item in your overflow bag" several times before I woke up enough to register why Sgt. Knox wouldn't let me turn in my weekly.

I was already going to open all the (non-stacking, might I add, and thanks for that) refinement containers after I had finished my turn-ins, since I already have 9 inventory slots allocated to the character-bound artifact stones that drop from them. There was not going to be any item in my overflow bag for more than a few seconds longer anyway. All this did was annoy me and disrupt the flow of what I was doing. I open the bags after I collect them all, not one by one, so I only need to open my inventory to do this once. Trying for a certain amount of efficiency.

When turning in quests while running lean on open space, quest items that are removed on turn-in might be what's making room for items granted in return like the Dread Ring artifact bags. A full round of Dread Ring involves a lot of inventory items, but it's massively inefficient to run those dailies as you get them instead of doing them in geographical sets.

Neverwinter Census 2017

I have two account-wide bags (one's technically a quest reward, but available to all) that I can't even use because of lack of bag slots.

Sure has devalued the Hero of the North pack as well, having access to an account-wide 12-slot bag and it's not even worth using because then you can't equip a larger bag.

Gosh that feels rewarding. /s

Neverwinter Census 2017

• nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    I understand that Cryptic is making a part of their money from bag sales. I understand that.

Nevertheless, I would love to have freedom in my bags.
    I really would love to buy another bag, alas, I am afraid that 3 weeks after the introduction on a new bag slot Cryptic is going to come up with another kind of refinement like they introduced with runic weapons, reclaiming the liberated & bought bag space with some stuff to collect.
    Hence I see no hope here.

Just remember the introduction of the "useful items" tab, and the immediate grab by items introduced with The Cloaked Ascendancy.
    Would I like to buy nad use another runic bag to lessen the item pressure in my inventory? YES!
    Do I really think the 36 new slots will reduce my inventory issues for a year?
    Guess.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!