test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Fixed] Brand of the Sun bugged with last patch

michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
edited September 2017 in Bug Reports (PC)
I think that Brand of the Sun got bugged due to this change:

The following powers have had backend changes to be slightly more server efficient. The changes should have no player-facing effects.
• Devoted Cleric (Divine Oracle): Brand of the Sun

Before yesterday's patch: If a target affected by Brand of the Sun died, you still gained divinity over time.
After yesterday's patch: When the target affected by Brand of the Sun dies, you stop gaining divinity over time.
Post edited by michela123 on

Comments

• namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Maybe it was a fix. You gain divinity when doing damage. If the target dies, doesn't surprise me you would stop gaining divinity.
  • michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Yes it could be, but since it was a very useful tool to gain divinity between pulls of mobs I decided to report it, in case it was an unintentional change.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Well, this change does effect players (and the patchnotes said it should not) so imo it is a bug.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User

Maybe it was a fix. You gain divinity when doing damage. If the target dies, doesn't surprise me you would stop gaining divinity.

If we gained divinity from doing damage, then Brand should also give multiples of divinity gain over time if cast on multiple mobs, but it does not.

I think it is bugged currently, as the patch notes states, "The changes should have no player-facing effects".

@terramak I do not think this is working as intended.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    True. The few divinity description I see is that you gain it by "using" at-wills, whatever that means. The type of at-will and duration probably factors in. My guess is this is working as intended, just the dev didn't realize there was a bug that the timer didn't get expired when the target went terminal.

True. The few divinity description I see is that you gain it by "using" at-wills, whatever that means. The type of at-will and duration probably factors in. My guess is this is working as intended, just the dev didn't realize there was a bug that the timer didn't get expired when the target went terminal.

From patch notes, it doesn't seem like it was meant to affect the playerbase. While it is not the first time that there have been hidden nerfs in patch changes, I really don't think it was intended. Do you play a cleric as a main?

What this change does is make DO clerics using Brand of the Sun underperform a lot. When Brand is cast on a mob that dies quickly (and they often do in dungeons) then the amount of divinity gained is almost only as much as Lance of Faith / Sacred Flame which are much faster to cast. If this change stays live, then there will be no unique at-will for DO clerics that perform well in terms of time to cast:divinity return, which is a shame for a paragon path.

You'll see this change affect PvE much more than in PvP, as in PvP, most characters don't die nearly so quickly, and not from a cleric with Brand. Thus the efficiency of the DO clerics in a party will be hampered much more so in a PvE setting.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    edited May 2017
    At this point, I play four mains (or four alts?), DO DC being one of them. My main divinity builder is to astral seal everything in sight before I start using Brand of the Sun to dps.

I can see how this is a nerf to players that use Brand of the Sun as main divinity builder. It could be a bug. But more likely, they just don't want to give credit for partial ticks.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    @terramak can you confirm that this change is not intended?

I think it's a little disingenuous to claim that this was an intended "fix". Fixes are documented in the patch notes.

This is pretty clearly a side-effect of underlying mechanics that they are working on (allegedly to reduce lag). And they very clearly stated that players should not be effected. It's possible that they'll decide that they have to leave this change in, but that's different than implementing a planned and intended fix.

Now, separately, you can claim that BotS is too good and should be neutered (although the forums suggest those kinds of threads are not welcome). That's a different argument than claiming that this undocumented change was intended.

But to me, that argument most clearly indicates that you do not have an understanding / appreciation for cleric build diversity. BotS is not over-performing compared to other at-wills, and instead gives a viable and unique at-will to DOs. If you were to make this change permanent, it would reduce build diversity but wouldn't solve any balance problem that DCs are currently having. (running BotS would not be viable in ANY dungeon content whatsoever)

"If it doesn't affect me and it's making other players good, nerf it" is a pretty sad opinion to come to the forums with, makes me wonder why so many have it, especially when coupled with "why the HAMSTER haven't the devs looked at buffing the powers I use".

Sigh, maturity.
    Also, Brand of the Sun also has a lag in granting divinity when cast on a monster. If cast on a monster that dies quickly, then no divinity is granted at all.
  • michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Yes, today I've noticed the same issue. Now if you cast BotS on a dying mob it doesn't grant divinity all the times.