test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chat Filtering Too Strict

darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
The default profanity filter is now filtering "com" out of messages, likely to prevent bot spamming nonsense. However, it was not implemented in a user friendly way. It will now filter out the "com" in these phrases:

Welcome to the guild!
What companion do you have?
It's safe here, come quickly!
Pick up the new company gear in the stronghold.

I am all for reducing bots, but some of these phrases are nearly required for playing the game. Don't make the profanity filter useless by forcing people to disable it.

@terramak

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

Tagged:

Comments

• shanefrazier93shanefrazier93 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    THANK YOU.

This needs to be addressed and changed ASAP.

I just was trying to send a help ticket about how I couldn't complete a quest, and it kept saying I couldn't send the ticket because it contained profanity!

After lots of hair-pulling I realized it's because it had the word "complete" in it!!

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of!

So I just sent them another help ticket about how I can't "cumplete" a help ticket... and that tongue-in-cheek message was allowed to go through! Maybe that'll make the point.
  • trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    You cant even say the word "got" or type the number 55 on xbox. its pretty crazy man.
    Find me in game if you want and send me a domination/ gaunt invite. If you are good and im not busy ill play with you. Im not an elitist ill play with almost anyone.
  • awrex1977awrex1977 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    When trying to name a companion, I couldn't name a Con Artist "Con Artist"...
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    For some reason 600K is filtered too, I understand that some word may translate to profanity in other languages, got and Roger might be examples of that, and I can work around the 600K thing but if we filter com and can no longer use companion or comp for short that seems silly.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    "Roger" is British slang for having intercourse with someone. But it is also a not-altogether-uncommon given name.

"600k" is leetspeak for a racial slur. A really old-fashioned racial slur that it seems to me most Neverwinter players have never seen or heard in all their lives.

Com/con are morphemes (small segments of written language that make up words, in the same sense that phonemes are sounds that make up spoken language), and filtering a morpheme is the point where your profanity filter jumps the shark. You effectively render the entire language unintelligible. Which is kind of impressive, really.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    "Com" being filtered should be fixed with the latest patch.

We are looking into "55" and "600k" being filtered. Thank you for those reports.