test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wardrobe

any chance of a wardrobe feature or enable us to take items from our collection to use?

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    There were hints in a recent stream that better fashion management is something they want to put some attention into in the future, but it's still one of those "someday" things. They know really engaging with fashion in NW is problematic.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    too many transmutes and forced to gave up Elemental armor sets due to limited bag slots, that also stop folks buying any new fashions that was added in zen market, they are losing cash because we are too full and not buying fashion packages, it is lose and lose for cryptic studio, and STO had a little more success and still need to expand dress panel options, it wasnt enough.

DCUO and Champions are lot better but DCUO is far ahead and more advanced dressing menu.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2017
    I so wish for some sort of Wardrobe system where I could choose my outfit from any of my collected gear and cosmetics. As well as a way to store their appearances without needing to hold on to the actual pieces. Transmuting is "okay" but is not friendly. I hate the idea of destroying items just to make an item look like an item. I want to be able to change my apparel's appearance on the fly, without having to jump through hoops and worry about accidentally loosing an item/appearance.
  • earlgreybeardearlgreybeard Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    why not an idea like make the key section of the inventory like the professions slots with 2 big bags, one for keys and one for fashion/armor .. i won't say weapons but maybe weapons.. :wink:

sell different sizes maybe..12 slot default, 800 zen for 24 slot 4k zen for max slots or something..
    Guild Leader Den of the Misfits
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I think the... 'magic pony storage' was it? would be a better model to use for fashion. Once bound, there is no reason to retain an inventory item.

Before my break from the game in mod 4, I had made the conscious decision to avoid acquiring any more mounts, regardless of the source, because they were inventory clutter as much as they were fashion accessories. After returning to the game, that decision was completely tossed aside - even without the addition of in game bonuses from mounts, adding a new one isn't a compromise now. I have gotten them from winterfest and from the Zen store and will go on getting more when the opportunity arises.

The same would be true of fashion.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    So much plus.

But now I expect that would give them trouble with changing fashion on loadouts :(

If they solve that problem though, I feel fashion would have to not include the same limitation as mounts of only one-per-item, to enable differently dyed instances of the same piece.

It would totally solve the problem of players who are drowning in their irreplaceable masterwork achievement fashions though. That's been an unfair burden.

I have a lot of reclaimable fashion unlocks but I don't really use them because of inventory. They sit uselessly on the claim agent.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• rgutscheradevrgutscheradev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 182 Cryptic Developer
    Question: when people who are interested in NW fashion say "fashion", do they mostly mean what the game calls fashion (the three piece looks-only sets)? Or do they mostly mean "transmuting and dying my main gear to achieve a certain look"? Or are the two systems equally important?
  • vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    To me it's the second. Transmuting and dying.
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    Both of them for me. I have a lot of "fashion" items, parts of the 3-pieces costume you can wear and play with. Some cool head piece there, chest piece here, and legs. That takes a lot of slots, considering most of them are BtC because i wore them at least once. But there are also a lot of transmutes-only stuff, especially for the weapons, and dyes that i find cool to use. A huge part of my bank is only full of transmute / dyes / fashion that i can only wear once at a time. I'd love, at an extreme level to be able to store something useful for my toon and my progression instead of fashion stuff.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Both are important. My earlier post was simply about the actual fashion items. However, having someway to access previously used transmutes would be great as well. Some of my characters use items from the sharandar and dread ring stores. Others use low level items, but 1 of my Control Wizards uses the Illithid robes from Epic Dread Vault and the other uses Armor of Lolth from Pre Mod 6 Temple of the Spider. I can use these to transmute a new item but it is still limiting. Worse are weapon transmutes. Just the other day, the now impossible to get Formorian Totemist Symbol was brought up in the DC forum. Once you use it as a transmute, the RP you put into a weapon is basically gone as you can't refine a new weapon and keep the skin.

Having a transmute library would allow me to upgrade gear easier, even if it were based on Maze Engine store design, free to get the skin, normal AD cost for the transmute. I use that often for my Guardian Fighter's Valiant set.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    just please check out DCUO's costume menu, i have over 200 items collected and there still more than thousands to find or earn marks for elite gears.
    Champions isnt that bad, you can select and change colors anytime, they are getting there as 2nd best optional compared to DCUO, STO just expanding uniform menu but that cost zen to unlock more slots, but that okay so far, still not as great as Champions' optional uniform selection menu.

Question: when people who are interested in NW fashion say "fashion", do they mostly mean what the game calls fashion (the three piece looks-only sets)? Or do they mostly mean "transmuting and dying my main gear to achieve a certain look"? Or are the two systems equally important?

When I think about a "Wardrobe" function in Neverwinter or complain about not being able to use fashions to the extent I'd like, I am thinking about the three-slot cosmetic costumes. There are a ton of items available, as account unlocks, earned from events and game activities, and purchasable (though no longer directly with Zen, which I also have opinions about). Most of these, if you own them and want to keep them, they take up your inventory space forever. Only account-unlocked items aren't a permanent strain on bag or bank space, provided you didn't dye them. If I get awarded fashion items with no reclaim option, I put them away in a bank slot (in their box if they came in one), in case someday a better option becomes available (even items I don't much like, in case I change my mind). I purposely don't obtain fashion items I like and might want to wear just because I don't want to add to my clutter. Or I obtain fashion items that I like but I don't bind them so that I can stash them with a different character against the hope that one day there'll be a better option for keeping them to actually wear.

I've gotten out of the habit of even displaying a fashion appearance because if you're actively refining items using whatever low-value junk you pick up in your travels, switching back and forth is a giant pain. So I just make the armor look acceptable and call it good. It would be better if you could choose to display fashion while still having access to your gear. I haven't tried to see what loadouts does for this but I suspect your loadout just remembers if you were set to display fashion or armor, nothing too magical.

As for my armor transmute options, I devote a fair amount of inventory space to this as well for a different reason. I have a mental catalogue of items I can easily get again and I just buy or craft or claim those in event of upgrades to maintain a preferred look, but I also have a few favorites that are old random gear that still shows up cheaply from time to time, and I hoard those when I find them.

Many attractive (or intentionally monstrous) designs from the past have been made unavailable, and border on priceless. You can carry forward an appearance from armor that you replace, but not artifact equipment. There, you have to choose between your irreplaceable appearance item or your invested RP. Capes of Catastrophe occupy bank slots on two of my characters because if I use them, they're gone forever if I change my neck item.

I've seen lots of suggestions for either a transmute library that retains a menu of options you've unlocked to choose to display, or at least an option to set a specific piece of equipment as your displayed armor. For example, my TR wears Adventurer's Boots in Doomguide dye, so when I switched him from Drowcraft to Gladiator boots this past weekend, I needed a new pair of boots and a dyepack to maintain his look (or could sacrifice the old boots, but they are salvageable). If I had an armor display setting, then I could just keep the same boots for visuals no matter what equipment was in use. I don't really mind having a bank loaded with dye, as it does stack, but keeping several pairs of the same level 7 boots in case nobody is selling them cheaply when I get an upgrade is not so great.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2017

For myself and possibly for most people. The fashion tab is a complete mess. It's lacking in content. It is clunky to use, you constantly have to switch back and forth between it and normal just to do anything with your character. And its baffling why it needs to be mutually exclusive with the normal tab. Its just frustrating when a fashion tab actually REDUCES your appearance options rather then expanding it. Its for these reasons, I suspect most people can, at this point, care less about it. Ideally, id like to see it improved, but at this point if it was done away with, and that lead to improvements in the transmute system. Id jump at it.

And that leads to the real complaints, while the transmute system and the normal tab are not as broken as fashion. It can still use some serious improvement. I think the biggest real problem most people have is having to give up an item to change another. Or having to maintain inventory space just to hold onto items, just on the off chance that one day you just might want to use those looks.

Id like to see a system, more like you all have in Champions. Instead of a one time transmute to an item. You pay a one time cost to add that appearance to an equipment slot. As you add appearances you build a permanent pick list attached to that equipment slot, rather then the equipment itself. Then we can actually have a wardrobe system, rather then a system that forces choices you to destroy unique looks, just to be unique.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2017

For me, it is transmuting and dying gear. I much prefer the looks of a well pieced together and dyed suit of armor/clothing than the fashion outfits. I do use certain fashion outfits on most of my characters, but only in select times. Most of the time, I am displaying my equipment. I'd love for a way to to have every piece of equipment's appearance one has obtained to be saved into a wardrobe type UI where you can easily change your current equipment to look like any of them. If you want to look at a game that does this already for what I mean, look to Rift's Wardrobe system. I do really enjoy their Wardrobe system, like really enjoy it. I would be overjoyed if Neverwinter could have something along this line. The way it is designed, you could even charge Zen or AD for additional wardrobe tabs, so there is a revenue possibility for it too.

• bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User

When I say it I mean what the game calls fashion. I'd like a wardrobe for Fashion items.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

Fashion is the fashion items - carrying around 1.5 Runic Bags worth of items that are 1 of a kind (Masterworking for example) is a pain, and would love a wardrobe tab in the inventory window that these can be moved to. If you do this, there would never be the need to "transmute" one fashion into another, you'd just swap what you are wearing as you have your wardrobe to store them.

Normal Transmutes is a totally different story. One of the best suggestions I've seen in the past is the ability to "use" an item to save the transmute to your transmute collection (think of it like the collections page). You can then use this skin on your weapons, armor, neck, belt as you see fit. In a perfect world this would cost nothing, or Gold - but hell, i'd even be happy with the current AD requirement if I could save a 1 of a kind transmute and then reuse it as much as I want.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    I mean both when I say "fashion", but I mostly *use* dying and transmuting. I have a nearly full "mule" alt I use to store all my dyes and transmutes, while I usually only keep 1-2 different fashion sets on my actual characters.

I didn't think of it before (somehow), but "unlocking" transmutes you can apply any number of times would be amaze-hamster! "Oh, you put that Zhent cloak transmute on an artifact neck, and now you have a new artifact neck? HAHAHAHA!!!!" Hmm, keep transmute or lose 1-2 million RP? So long Zhent cloak...

Someone in another thread had a good idea of a Vanity Tab that would include items like Thrones, etc.