test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fix PVP, it is time

defiantone99defiantone99 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6,634 Arc User
Okay, you can just search Domination in the Find Person section of the HUD and see how stupid PVP is. It is BIS premades vs low IL randoms. This seems to be the norm. Why is this allowed to continue? And, why do premades continue to queue when they know this is what they will find? They think they are pros cuz they can win an unfair fight? It is time to end this absurdity.
DEFIANT "Where Yesterday Has Been Exiled, Memory Is Rebellion." "The state of ruin is essentially a temporary situation that happens at some point, the volatile result of a change of era and the fall of empires. Ruins are a fantastic land where one no longer knows whether reality slips into a dream or whether, on the contrary, dream makes a brutal return into the most violent of realities." #ITMFA

Comments

• Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User

I can't give specifics dates but Solo PvP Queues are planned for soon, in a more reoccurring fashion. It doesn't address all the concerns with PvP but I can tell you that a full scope of PvP changes is being worked on for a future release. Keeping in mind that main Modules are for larger stories, it will likely be for a half module update.

I'd rather see the Neverwinter Combat League (NCL) come back. It was a great idea that lots of folks, even those that normally don't PvP, enjoyed running (myself included).

I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited May 2017

I can't give specifics dates but Solo PvP Queues are planned for soon, in a more reoccurring fashion. It doesn't address all the concerns with PvP but I can tell you that a full scope of PvP changes is being worked on for a future release. Keeping in mind that main Modules are for larger stories, it will likely be for a half module update.

It could be a pvp story; like the old Gauntlgrym. <3
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User

Well if they are working on that, why arent they talking with us? Its always like this. They do what they think is best and then ask us and by that time its already too late to change anything except for small things.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User

Ill be surprised if by the end of the day tomorrow this isnt one of the most quoted and liked posts on the forums. This is SUCH big news... (not the solo Q stuff but the full scope PVP changes) that its re-invigorated my hopes that NW PVP can be great again!!!!

I will make sure to show my support with my wallet whenever these changes are announced publically :)
  • Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    Its beyond time actually. PVP is a HAMSTER cc fest. We are back to standing still, unable to move then dead regardless of IL. Meh, let pvp rest in peace
  • Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User

Well if they are working on that, why arent they talking with us? Its always like this. They do what they think is best and then ask us and by that time its already too late to change anything except for small things.
    Well, I guess we can only hope that they have at least glanced at some of the suggestion threads in the PvP section.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User

LOL! Well actually, they did this once before with SH Siege. They invited a select player base to test, had a NDA and special sub forums for it. The issue is, the feedback was completely ignored.... With ONE exception... Companions.

TONS of the actual "PVP" community all said "NO COMPANIONS" they ignored this because several PVE players were saying "I think we should allow companions, I invested in mine and it is part of my build blah blah blah" but none of them understood how BROKEN they are for PVP... So what happened? Massive lag, and companions contribute to increased lag in SH Siege as well as gear imbalance....

So thats the problem... They tried this, ignored the feedback, listened to the wrong players etc. etc.

What they NEED to do, is get some of the best of the NW PVP guilds together. Maybe even host a "tournament" or something... The winners of this tournament - or the top few guilds - are invited to the "alpha" testing of the PVP changes...

That is the problem. I am not bashing the DEVs but they frankly dont understand the issues of PVP... its been blasted all over the forums yes... but so have many other things from good intentioned players who just dont know what they dont know. So you have people asking for stupid stuff (like allowing companions for PVP etc.) and the DEVs have no way of filtering this out. so they usually ignore ALL the players....

Actually, now that I type this, they SHOULD bring back the NCL with the next module. Run the NCL for 2 months, take the top ~25 from each class and invite them to a special area in the forums and special access to the new PVP changes under NDA, let them give feedback and I would wager you will see a LARGE degree of consensus. The average player base DOESNT KNOW WHAT THEY DONT KNOW. I cannot under state this. What 1 guy thinks would be good for PVP - when he ques up 2x a week - he just doesnt understand and i dont blame him.

Unless your on the "other side of the fence" and you have all the gear, you understand all the items/specs/bonuses/bugs etc... you WONT understand what is broken in PVP.

This is why DEVs have such a hard time implimenting good PVP changes and why the forums havnt been the best place to get feedback.

So TLDR: @nitocris83 , the BEST thing you guys can do: Run NCL with the release of the next module. All the code is there, so it shouldnt be hard. The rewards? Top X spots from each class will be invited to a special sub-forum and special Alpha server access in which to test "PVP CHanges" and give feedback.

This not only will MASSIVELY boost PVP morale, it will bring players BACK to the game to do this (so they can help) and it ALSO does ALL YOUR WORK FOR YOU in that you can consult the BEST PVP players in the game.... People think "BIS players just want to PUG stomp" - NO! They dont... They want FAIR and EVEN playing field. If you want PVP to be viable and even worth time... dont waste YOUR time guys, let US do it all for you......
  • Options
    sorvikcorsairsorvikcorsair Member Posts: 64 Arc User

Include your player-base! You have millions of people who have been playing games longer than most of you have been out of school, please listen to us!

Don't balance the pve portion of the game around pvp changes, balance the que (either by ilvl or other methods), don't allow changing of gear once in the battle (to prevent que-faking), etc. Just some of the changes needed, we do appreciate the update and look forward to more communication!
    Neverwinter
    Fearless Wolves - GM
    Slorik - GWF
    Eevil'N - CW
    Sybyl - GF

Star Trek Online

Sorvik Corsair : KDF Reman Engineer
    S'karn Corsair : KDF Gorn Intelligence
  • Options
    checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I haven't regularly played PVP since the introduction of Tenacity as a PvP only stat, that is unable to be added to any other gear except that which is designated for PvP. I am beginning to dabble again in PvP because I am bored and have nothing else to do. So, even though I have been in the game a long time as a PvE player, my following opinions about PvP are from a new player perspective:

1) We need more maps, with different interactions than just "stand on this point and fight anyone who comes here." The complexity and scale and reward system should not be so convoluted that the map is avoided altogether (Stronghold Seige).

A 1 v 1 Arena--Make it Queueable at all levels. Everyone loves a gladiator battle. Make it naked. The Arena strips out all mount and boon bonuses, current gear and artifacts, and when the player enters, must choose from limited items that are randomly selected. As the gladiator wins duels, the player unlocks more equipment and queues other gladiators, with other challenges (like lava pits), catapults that knock players in the heat of battle, etc.

A 3 v 3 Capture the Flag--Take a dungeon map, and have each team queue at each end. Have the flag that the Team must defend randomly spawn somewhere on one half of the dungeon. To win, you must take the flag. You could even have MC items such as traps and devices that can make this little map...customizeable per fight (a frost bomb) that triggers on anyone going through a certain tunnel, freezing for 10sec....etc).

More 5 v 5 maps--have one with points that are on platforms that you must jump to, like a Skyhold Pirates map, and where you can loot a treasure for more rewards (glory, stuff)... Have a map where points and treasure are protected by hidden barriers (like the programming used in Dread Ring or WoD), and randomly spawn in different places for each queue (like moving the golf hole).

2) Redo the PvP Campaign Progress, Boons, and Rewards. Any cursory glance at them should make one realize how laughable they are. Also, include ALL the PvP maps with their own achievements in campaign progress AND ranking. Make the achievements more interesting than kill this, kill double...kill triple. Kill near dude. Kill far dude. Kill in a time period. Kill npc stuff. Kill the killed. Kill while half hurt. I mean...come on! Oh wait...resurrect the killed. No wait. Its bugged. Forget that. Just kill. And the rewards...I mean...really, I get to earn more black ice? Or, I can get some rings that are absolutely worthless. Or a black ice belt? No way!

3) Since you have redone TIL, you might be able to create a Queue system with a readjusted PVP ranking that combines TIL + ranking to make the queue system more even. This may still not take into account Tenacity, but it would avoid having 5 new players who just hit 70 and want to go into PvP with their guild mates go in and get absolutely wiped out in a few seconds by those Pros who have labored hard to get every single ounce of buff and build to maximum killing efficiency. And the newbs get demoralized. And the Pros are bored. And the community limps along.

4) I will not talk about Tenacity. I know why it was added, and why separate gear is necessary to even out some classes. Although, I don't think the stat has worked to the advantage of those classes for whom it was designed. Looking at tenacity again or a PvP stat for classes might be a good thing...

5) Make the loadout so that duo sets of enchantments, etc. are not needed to run PvP. It burns up gold to swap a loadout, and then remove a single set of enchantments. The current loadout programming will not hinder the top end PvPers who might have multiple sets, but it hinders PvErs and intro players from investing in more loadouts. There must be a way to do this without exploiting it by reduplicating enchants and selling...
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    Called the half module release! :smiley:

That's all great news, but I am a little troubled by the specific language...

"...in a more reoccurring fashion."

I really, REALLY hope this doesn't mean that it comes and goes like a 2x Seals event or something! This needs to be a permanent, persistent addition to the game, not some occasional event! Even an hourly-type event would be bull-pucky. If this is a wording mistake, changing "reoccurring" to "persistent" would be good. If that was intentional wordsmithing to imply an on-again off-again implementation, I am still disappoint...
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User

+1

Omg finally
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

I can't give specifics dates but Solo PvP Queues are planned for soon, in a more reoccurring fashion.

It was the inability of putting out a solo queue, merely creating events, that was the final straw for me. I'm glad that there are plans to do something "in the future" to improve PVP, but that went on for so long I will believe it when it drops. Until then, I do PVE only.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited May 2017

and who will be beta testing the Pvp changes...... a Pve Play test team that are clueless?? and by the time it goes to preview server there is no time to do anything .. just like the mod 9 feedback players almost none of the suggestion were used afterplay testing strongholds notably the HUGE lag/ balance after allowing companions ..

or drains in pvp that were reduced after much complaint or the ring of invisibility that was adjusted for pvp /pve
    all these were suggested before they went live we were ignored then months or years later they are changed basically the devs admitting we (pvp community were right) or they (devs ) were wrong ... that said item/ power was unbalanced for pvp

or the ring of natural order that was so buggy in conception and broken that thankfully it did not even make it to live

shadow clad armor broken .... or companion broken and allowed in regular domination
    map stlil bugged after years and player getting behind nodes or into spawn camps

leaderboard /elo bugged etc

• Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited May 2017

so next B-Module will be pvp rework? christmas gift? anything else than this will be disappointment for a b-module like b-stronghold right now
  • Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    It's good to see that something positive came from the feedback generated a few months back. Hopefully the PvP community gets a more fair, balanced, and enjoyable experience. I can't say the same optimism exists over in the Foundry, where it would appear the silence leads folks to believe the "ship has sunk" as the expression goes. Honestly, it is good to see some much deserved development time scheduled for PvP, congrats to the community and hopefully things go in a much more positive direction.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Yes it would be nice to see a more FUN and viable option for PvP that does not have one premade group fighting a PUG with a far lessor gear score as it takes absolutely no skill, thought, or even effort to slaughter are far lessor team that doesn't even have HOPE of winning.

There's absolutely NO FUN in that for either team, and despite the superior team winning, their VICTORY doesn't even have GLORY involved.

After all what glory is their in beating up players with far lower gear scores that don't even have other options or opportunities to challenge or alternative methods to earn or catch up to the superior team based on the difference of each teams gear score?

I as many have stated they'd like to see a little more balance of teams placed in PvP challenges be in 3v3, 5v5, or 10v10 along with announcing both team combined gear score at the start of the match, not to mention at different gear score thresholds allowing a lower gear score team alternative ways to score... :p Depending how drastic the difference is... at least that would let all players know the challenge they are up against and depending how much advantage one team has it could provide additional opportunities to turn it around.

Still for that to work a players team win or loss record should not count for or against him in the standings... other than just simply being a Statistic to Report. What should matter to influencing their standings is solely how many points they acquire within each match regardless if they are on the winning or loosing team.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    The NCL discussion came up internally recently but there's definitely things that would need updating/addressing before it happened again.

• Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    One "thing" I could hope for is to not get the same "random" rewards from 8 different equipment boxes on the same character...
  • Options
    trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    Just make GWFs hit slightly harder then GF's(Im talking vs actual maxed people I dont consider pugs into class balance), bring piercing dmg down a tad and you will make me happy.

Oh that and solo que option.
    Find me in game if you want and send me a domination/ gaunt invite. If you are good and im not busy ill play with you. Im not an elitist ill play with almost anyone.