test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is a botter

demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
What is a botter?

A botter is someone using extra software to automatically perform functions in game.

What is not a botter?

If someone is using the game as is without added software to automate their character they are not botting.

Is this correct?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!

Comments

• demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    It's just a question... nothing more ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    For some it may be difficult to dicern what is a bot and what is not.

For those who don't know, some companions can make you look like a bot.

For example slime has an aura attack that damages all that get close. If you move into an enemy spawn and sit there the slime will kill everything for you, even if you go take a shower and leave pc on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattia78mattia78 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    Gonna add another question : is doing repeatedly for collecting AD (almost every day) with a few/lot low geared alts 3 man dungeons (ToS for example as is the fastest one) considered botting activity for Cryptic?
    404 Italians Not Found Guild Leader
    Matt Shieldheart 3.5k GF Conq PVE _ Matt Shieldheart 0 3.5k GF Tactician PVE _ Matt Shieldheart II 4.1k Buffer DC _ Matt Shieldheart III 4.3k Thauma CW _ Matt Shieldheart IV 3.5k Exe TR _ Matt Shieldheart V 3.9k Destroyer GWF _ Matt Shieldheart VI 3.1k Trapper HR _ Matt Shieldheart VII 3.1k Fury SW _ Matt ShieldheartVIII 3.6k OP Justice _ Matt Shieldheart -8 3.1k Healadin _ Matt Shieldheart -9 3.1k Mof Rene CW
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    I am actually interested if Using ACT is Seen as botting. This does not affect the game at all it just graphically display the result of the data collected by the game itself using /combatlog 1. If it is can some please let me know as I do find this a useful tool
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

mattia78 said:

Gonna add another question : is doing repeatedly for collecting AD (almost every day) with a few/lot low geared alts 3 man dungeons (ToS for example as is the fastest one) considered botting activity for Cryptic?

If you play it yourself and not use 3rd party software to simulate the play I assume that they will not see it as botting
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    I would guess, that having 20+ leadership mains/ alts is botting, no matter what.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
    I have 13 toons all but 2 is level 70(be there soon), they do leadership. I made them however to do the missions from the SH to get our small guild the resources. That can't be botting as i do run the dungeons/skirmish/sh battles myself, I get the daily task on all toons everyday, but only do 2 toons task a day, That way i can do 5 days worth of task on 1 day and help the guild out. all but 3 of my toons are equiped with DF or better and i am working on all to have at least 10k IL.

This helps releave presure on guildies(something mod 11b failed to do even after the promise it will) that have not done their boons in places like IWD. They do not need to donate those resources. I just work to makeup the slack myself.

So i do not beleive it is botting just because you play a large amount of toons.

• forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    AFAIK, all automated tasks (dungeon/professions etc) are to be considered botting. If you don't have to be at you computer, using your mouse and/or keyboard, to do something, it is considered to be botting.

@mynaam
    While ACT might technically be a 3rd party program, it doesn't interact with the game directly. All it does is read and organize the information in a log file for you.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    mynaam said:

I have 13 toons all but 2 is level 70(be there soon), they do leadership. I made them however to do the missions from the SH to get our small guild the resources. That can't be botting as i do run the dungeons/skirmish/sh battles myself, I get the daily task on all toons everyday, but only do 2 toons task a day, That way i can do 5 days worth of task on 1 day and help the guild out. all but 3 of my toons are equiped with DF or better and i am working on all to have at least 10k IL.

This helps releave presure on guildies(something mod 11b failed to do even after the promise it will) that have not done their boons in places like IWD. They do not need to donate those resources. I just work to makeup the slack myself.

So i do not beleive it is botting just because you play a large amount of toons.

As I said 20+. I asked friends 20 seems to be the magic number for botting
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User

I am pretty sure at 1 point the company officially took the stance of ACT being ok, but I am not going to dig through old history to try and find it.

I remember that as well Sharp. I don't think the forum search goes back far enough to find it (I could be mistaken) but the question was answered quite a while ago that ACT is allowed.

If I'm mistaken, please let everyone know @nitocris83 @terramak

I aim to misbehave
  • bluebubbl3sbluebubbl3s Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    asterotg said:

I would guess, that having 20+ leadership mains/ alts is botting, no matter what.

why? why is that botting when a player is allowed to buy character slots with zen, and allowed to rank up professions? as long as they are not using a script or a bot to collect and set professions, how is that botting?
    Myth (CW & DC)
    Guild Leader - Valaurakari Ascension

VA is the creator and proud member of The Round Table Alliance
  • gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    Its a fair question. Is it botting if you manually do the exact same thing as a software would do for you? Like farming rank 5s etc?

Or unusual amount of ingame time? Because sometimes I can have the game open, but tabbed and just tabb in from time to time to chat, check AH and other stuff while i do other stuff on my PC.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User

I thought a explanation was any 3rd party program that automated regular player features.

So invoking, profession, scripting, could all be considered, against the TOS.

Some third party programs.. such as ACT or OVERWOLF were allowed, because these did not violate , any automated regular player features for advantages.

Frankly there is alot of activity in game that is marginally against the TOS. multi VIP accounts.. I know of at least 5-6 people who do this.. there argument is they actually paid the company to start the process.. so to them its justified.. who knows.. is it? isnt it? dont know.

There is so MUCH grey area in the game atm.. and so much confusion.. people are literally afraid to run things, invoke, do fishing, professions, or stay on too much.

I do wish we would get a condensed summary .. reading the TOS is painful.. ive done it once.. but frankly that piece of garbage boils down to.. we dont like it, we can do whatever we want...

Well that doesnt help our current situation and frankly banning people , without a good explanation, isnt the way to go.

Sure i think if people used botting programs thats understood.. but WHAT else was caught in that filter.. because some of the people who are not playing ATM.. are just clearly not "botters" some of them were not even all that account rich. SOME of them were logging on once or twice a week.. what the..

Its just odd.. plain odd.

• hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User

What is a botter?

A botter is someone using extra software to automatically perform functions in game.

What is not a botter?

If someone is using the game as is without added software to automate their character they are not botting.

Is this correct?

Botting is< when player using tools to make certain stuff automated. Thats mean they do programed stuffs without requirement of players participation.

Now in general not all automated stuffs are bad. But Bot as we all know usually is when Character farm x materials, just invoking and gathered materials send to main account/character..

Now imagine, player have like 10 accounts, one is primary which he use for playing. and 9 others are just for invoking, claiming rewards, perhaps selling stuffs via AH or etc..

Personally I am not much against bot who just invoking.. But even they eventually will crush ingame economy.
    Enough to remember that bots where reason why leadership lost astral diamond gathering<.
    For normal players it where OK, but when one player have over 5 accounts and each of them over 5 characters..< and all of them farming same stuff.. It's obvious cheating.

There where even situation when guys met bots in domintion pvp<. Now imagine how easily u farm points for stronghold building by exploiting bots.. Or using bots to gather master craft materials.

Also personally myself via pub queue where got in bot party.. Only me one where normal player. All other total bots.. < sticking in one small mini group, neither DC, neither GF neither GWF separated from group more than 3feets(by game measures).

One thing what developers doing wrong is that they taking this matter in defensive mode.
    They find/trace bot, ban<

But they should not only do that,, in one of my played games there where staff, where one or couple guys who actively checked ways to cheat. Thats mean they walking within game as normal player, and check investigate do players know how cheat in x situation.
    Also same guys checked rumors where to download bots and etc.<< That is offensive protection or as other call> seek and destroy<

Neverwinter have no ingame protection module(nProtection, hackshield, Frost, etc). and it's OK, because even new game protection software can be bypassed< only matter of time.

But staying in defensive mode, will lead to same effect as Silkroad had< where 50+ bots farm one monster :P and game where consider bot mmorpg :P
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • eoleeeolee Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited May 2017

What is a botter?

What is not a botter?

Is this correct?

But Bot as we all know usually is when Character farm x materials, just invoking and gathered materials send to main account/character..

so according to your definition of a bot, every player in game that has lets say 8-10 toons that Cryptic allows to buy in zen store, and do professions on them/pray on them to gather RPs and coal wards/pres wards to help the progress of their main toon is a bot?

gratz?

• hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    eolee said:

so according to your definition of a bot, every player in game that has lets say 8-10 toons that Cryptic allows to buy in zen store, and do professions on them/pray on them to gather RPs and coal wards/pres wards to help the progress of their main toon is a bot?

gratz?

If that player do content with these 10 toons, I don't mind<, I don't mind even if that player would have over 200 toons in this case.

But when player have over 3 accounts, and all of them use to farm x materials, invocation rewards. Thats just stink.

Also I have question for you..

Lets say you have 10 toons, with each of them doing game content and so one, in other words putting efforts to get something..

Now some kind morron, have over 5 accounts, each contain 5+ characters.
    And that army of characters farm x mastercraft materials, enchantments, claiming invocation rewards, even feeding main characters pvp scores<<

He earn profit when you play,
    He earn profit when u sleep.
    He earn profit when u in work<

He earn profit even when he don't even play, because bots do all stuffs for him..

Are you Ok with that?
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
    edited May 2017

I didnt say i was ok with that, many accounts botting overnight overday or whatever, what im certainly not ok with is your definition of a bot i mentioned. You are calling bot a player doing legit things allowed by PWE manually: a main toon and some slaves doing professions to improve their main.
    Professions are game content, did you know that? Some people mainly craft, thats their way of playing this game, they craft kits, they craft shirts and pants, they do masterwork without doing any kind of dungeons on those toons. They craft some leadership coffers/bags to provide more RPs for their main character, and sell the leftover. How is that botting? Invoking is part of the game, it gives a little bonus AD to salvage on more than one toon the loots from dungeons. Prevents one toon to sit on millions of rough ADs that would take months to clear up. Invoking allows to get some pres wards and coal wards if lucky. Having more than one toon is also a good source of guild marks, giving every unbound stuff you can feed to coffer to other toons if you're waiting on special events to do so.

Everything i mention here is legit, nothing is against the ToS. Nothing is botting as long as its manual.

edited May 2017
    Whereas i totally understand that exploits/bans discussing are clearly described in the ToS that i did read over 4 weeks, yea took me so long, im just personally trying to demonstrate that some statements in this thread are at the edge of insulting legit players doing legit things allowed by ToS and purchases in Zen store.

If somebody from PWE/Cryptic would give the simple definition of a botter "using third party programms that allow ingame developpment in detriment of other players and enhancing their progress faster", then one of this statement in this thread should be deleted or at least corrected in order to stop offending innocent players still in game, and those that disappeared. Of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but when someone is falsely tagging of bot a player that plays legit and uses legit ways offered by PWE company in game, then its bad. Specially by using the term "we all know"
    As if the situation lately wasnt bad enough.Just my opinion.
    I would like to explain that some statement made in this thread is just causing more mistrust from players. People might be wondering if its ok for them to log their toons everyday to do their crafting and invoking now.
    I do not think this game needs to lose more players, when we have some good things coming from the new devs team, a little more interaction about bugs and feedbacks,lately again by the device removed bug that is followed every day, and it was starting, at least for me,to give me more hope about the future of the game.

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    Botting = automated play = using software that issues commands to the game

That does not exclude other violations to the game. You can get banned for violating other rules too, all rule breaking is not botting.

Software like ACT only analyzes game logs, so is fine.

Having 20+ characters is by itself not a break of the rules. However, having 20+ characters being actively played probably will put you on the list of botting suspects, since handling so many characters is more than most players are willing to do manually.

Similarily I will assume that more than x hours online a day will put you on the list of botting suspects ;)

I do assume a botting suspect is subject to further analysis by Cryptic before they ban though. They need to avoid false positives.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

Similarily I will assume that more than x hours online a day will put you on the list of botting suspects ;)

If this were the case, I'd have been banned long ago instead of being invited to playtest Mod 9. I don't have a life, so I game :p
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    linaduin said:

using a third party program to automate repeated tasks = botting.
    allowing a companion or auto-attacking toon to fight while you sleep = unattended gameplay.
    manually repeating tedious tasks for hours for some small gain = playing Neverwinter.

Haha. That 2nd one is interesting tho, is that against the rules? Lets say I stand in zone with my pet and someone calls me or I have to go away for a few min. Would I be breaking the rules then? Since my pet might kill stuff and I gain loot..?

And the 3rd point makes me feel like a bot. But after 11mods that has to be intended gameplay.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User

linaduin said:

using a third party program to automate repeated tasks = botting.
    allowing a companion or auto-attacking toon to fight while you sleep = unattended gameplay.
    manually repeating tedious tasks for hours for some small gain = playing Neverwinter.

Haha. That 2nd one is interesting tho, is that against the rules? Lets say I stand in zone with my pet and someone calls me or I have to go away for a few min. Would I be breaking the rules then? Since my pet might kill stuff and I gain loot..?

I'm sure there is a time variable involved. For instance, no call lasts for three days for 12 hours/day.

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    Ya'll appear to also be forgetting that this game kicks you for being idle, relatively aggressively. 15min after you went for your phone call you'd get booted to the login screen... unless of course you have some sort of automated assistant that is performing in-game activities for you that make your character appear active... oh wait...
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    dupeks said:

Ya'll appear to also be forgetting that this game kicks you for being idle, relatively aggressively. 15min after you went for your phone call you'd get booted to the login screen... unless of course you have some sort of automated assistant that is performing in-game activities for you that make your character appear active... oh wait...

And if you ask a family member to go hit your spacebar so you don't time out... that's letting someone else access your account. :D

(Yeah... we might do that one in my household fairly frequently. Usually when someone was partway through an instance and got called away. No spawns available for more loot, just don't want to start over.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia