test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time to do what? Pay, play or leave.

As a casual player, after I log in, It takes hours to do the daily dungeons/skirmishes/campaigns. After that I simply don't have the time or energy to do anything else, and more often than not I log out. And that's only on one character!

The big culprit is making enough AD to improve your character, and the only alternative is spending more money on zen. Now this may be a welcome thing to hear by the game company, but please think about this.

If a player simply doesn't have the time it takes to make AD, doesn't have the means buy loads of zen, the game might as well be pay to win, and you're going to lose players. I recently came back after a years hiatus or so. I've played for several weeks now, enjoying the (for me new) loadouts, but again I'm already feeling a burnout coming.

It doesn't have to be like this. There are so many ways to make money from games without implementing drastic measures.

- Lower the prices and players will buy more. 50$ for a cool mount? No! It's too expensive! 1$ for a key? No! Not with the impossible chances to win something useful.
- Don't let "customers" feel forced to spend money. They will leave.
- Move the heal/buff potions to the cash shop, and make them cheap. 999 pots for 1$. I know I would buy some.

These are just some options, but the most important thing is to make the cash shop accessible for even the poor players. And by doing so, you may very well eliminate the gold sellers as well. Anyone has a few bucks to spare monthly, and I'm speaking from experience. I'm not rich, I don't even have a savings account, but at the end of the month I do have something left for fun things. But with the current shop prices in Neverwinter I simply can't afford to buy anything. It's not rocket science. Games don't last forever, and spending loads of money on a game that may be canceled on a whim is kinda stupid. But spending around 10 bucks per month to increase your experience is okay, and with a big player base this should be more than enough.

Neverwinter has many good things, and this is the main reason I even came back, but there's also much room for improvement.
Tagged:

Comments

• jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    Things are mostly cheaper than ever on AH right now. A green Gorgon mount that you can use as a skin for example can be bought (when I bought a ton of them a few weeks ago) were 3k AD each. It really doesn;t get cheaper than that. The main things that have kept their value are Enchantments.
  • pandoratanakapandoratanaka Member Posts: 40 Arc User

Things are mostly cheaper than ever on AH right now. A green Gorgon mount that you can use as a skin for example can be bought (when I bought a ton of them a few weeks ago) were 3k AD each. It really doesn;t get cheaper than that. The main things that have kept their value are Enchantments.

AH is still quite hit and miss. Some stuff are really really cheap, others overbearingly expensive.

I do understand where OP is coming from, though. I recently just came back from module 6. I'm doing what... 5? 6 campaigns at the same time? I burnout after my dailies are finished and either do one dungeon or nothing at all, then log off.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,214 Arc User
    edited May 2017

- Lower the prices and players will buy more. 50$ for a cool mount? No! It's too expensive! 1$ for a key? No! Not with the impossible chances to win something useful.
    - Don't let "customers" feel forced to spend money. They will leave.
    - Move the heal/buff potions to the cash shop, and make them cheap. 999 pots for 1$. I know I would buy some.

First, it is not exactly $50 for a cool mount from Zen store. It is $50 to cover every character you have and will have for that 'cool' mount. It is one of the best deals in the limited good deal in Zen store. In addition, you don't have to pay money as other
    said already.
    Second, I personally never feel I was forced to spend money. Not now and not when I started to play in the very beginning. You just need to plan out how to do so.
    Third, $1 means 100 Zen. 100 Zen means 50000 AD. 50000 AD / 10 = 5000 AD. I don't think it takes 5000 AD to buy 99 pot in AH. I have been selling "regular" heal/buff potions and I could not sell them anywhere close to that price.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    MMO = grind. You either spend time or treasure to advance. I will say that there will come a point where you've gotten all of the boons from the previous campaigns so you'll be working only on the current stuff. I'm still trying to get to that point myself. I'm an alt-aholic so i have to accept my slow progression.
    I aim to misbehave
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Get a month ViP, collect the 30 daily lockbox keys, open 30 lockboxes, sell the loot you get from them directly, exchange the AD from your sales to ZEN, get more ViP...
    You'll reach rank 12 ViP at some point, and then just keep enough ZEN banked to get another full year ViP when it's on sale again.

Not to mention seasonal events, like the Winter Festival, that can deliver you a ton of AD through a few decents drops, just don't try to sell your loot during the event, rather wait a few months and then sell the stuff for a good price.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    That assumes there is zen to exchange for.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    greywynd said:

That assumes there is zen to exchange for.

According to my paypal statement from the last two months, I have purchase a lot of Zen, most of which went to AD conversion. Some of our guild was talking in Discord last week - "Thank goodness for the Whales." to which I replied "You're welcome." :)
    I aim to misbehave
    And for roughly the last week or two that well has been dry.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited May 2017
    greywynd said:

And for roughly the last week or two that well has been dry.

It is not dry and it was never dry. You just need to wait. It is not instant but you will get it if you stay in the queue.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    When you open the ZAX UI and there is no Zen listed, that means there is a backlog of requests to buy at the max value, so no Zen sits around unsold, but it does NOT mean nobody is selling Zen. You just need to post your offer and wait. The wait isn't even that long right now from the requests to buy that I observed. It looked like there's even some hope of occasionally having orders filled at less than 500AD/Zen, if you're willing to tie up some AD and be patient.

Most people who claim "bahh nobody is selling Zen because I don't see any listings" are just ignorant of how the exchange works.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited May 2017
    I am fully aware of how the system works. Quite simply put: if there are no listings showing for zen, there is none for sale because everything going in is already presold.

"That car? Yeah, she's a real beauty. Nope. Can't sell it to ya, belongs to someone. Might can get ya one like it. Might take a few months, tho."
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Your other comments implied that you believe nobody is selling Zen at all. In practice, requests are filled in the order received.

It's more like buying a sandwich than a car. You're just waiting for your turn.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited May 2017
    If you walk into a bank and all the tellers are being occupied, it does not mean the bank is close. When a teller is available, he/she will not be serving you. He/she will be serving people in front of you in the queue.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Or get the ARC launcher, look for the ARC quests, collect ARC points, exchange them into ZEN.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    To the OP: it's a game, take your time and enjoy it. It's not a work. Do what you like and at your pace. Otherwise you'll get mad.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    Yes, you can pay to advance your character and that is true here as in pretty much every other game. That being said its completely up to every one of us just how the time spent in Neverwinter is, well, spent.

If you get caught up in the endgame chase you will not enjoy the ride. Its that simple. I started Neverwinter way back during beta and only now I have 1 character that can be considered bis with several alts at different stages (because I have been spilling my resources over many characters over the years). The one thing I'm not happy with, besides lag, is the alt unfriendliness which forced to me to play only 1 toon IF I want to have it developed to the max.

Bottom line your game experience, see if something is fun for you and do that..or leave in search of better venues. Best advice I can give atm.
  • zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    It is a game and an MMO at that, that means that you will be grinding for a ridiculous amount of time and nothing is going to just be "given" to you easily at all unless you take the time to play the game and grind for it or simply put: Pay up. In fact, the longer it takes you for anything, the happier the company owners will be. So you do not have the time to play?.. You in the wrong game genre, should stick to console games that only have like 20 hours of game time or something. Don't got the time so I guess that means you want everything just given to you faster over those that actually do put the time in the game to get it?... Yeah, good luck with that but it is never going to happen.
    Jixem: Your social one stop spot.
    STAR TREK ONLINE CHARACTERS
    DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: NEVERWINTER CHARACTERS
    "Sell, buy, communicate and share all on one site... A fully free service!
    - Jixem: My social website, check it out! -
  • forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    If only campaigns were account wide progressed.. *sigh*
    I for one, would not burn out as quickly as I usually do when new content is released, if this was reality.

Also: maybe you should try focusing on just one or two campaigns, instead of all of them?
    I mean, it's not like all the campaigns have awesome boons. I'd say that for character progression, the AD and weapon grind are the two most important things to focus on, and since you've already fallen so far behind, just go for TCA weapons instead of those from SKT, since they are more than good enough for all of the current content, also iirc, SKT OH isn't granted 2xRP from your old OH, ever. Aboleth for DPS class, Fey for support class, Mirage if you want to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people off in PvP, with the added chance of getting turned in to a chicken if you're low on HP. I guess tanky tactician GF could do well with Fireforged. These are my opinions though. Others might disagree.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• malaikamoyo#5326 malaikamoyo Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Yeah you're right guys. I don't have to play this game, but I kinda like it compared to many other mmo's I played. It's just that I get frustrated sometimes by the time it takes to do all dailies. And I know I don't have to do them every day but still...

Yes, MMO is synonymous to grind, I know that too :) But there's no harm in pleading for better times right?

And yes, the expensive mounts are account wide. I overlooked that feature.

The price suggestion of pots for zen was just an example, not thought through. But I really do think cash shops can make good money by selling cheap. Unless the game company is going for a quick cash grab, and only care about the big spenders.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    I don't get so frustrated with the time it takes to do daily's but the time it takes to really grow your character. Cause you can't really improve artifact gear without leadership at 25 and even then people who do still have 7-9 or more toons with leadership at 25 which is just insane for most players casual or not.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    It's not necessarily leasership. I have 10 chars with it at rank 25, but mostly that gets sold on the AH. Last 2x RP, 3 characters got belt and neck artifacts to Legendary just from running quests with Wanderer's Fortune. They also have Dragon Hoard enchants and Fey Blessings, yielding a large amount of RP. I got 1 char to full legendary artifacts at the same time.

Get 1 each of Fey, Dragon Hoard... some like Quartermaster but I don't use them...
    and above all Wanderer's.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • danievdwdanievdw Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    I would not mind the grind so much, if all the campaigns were like Elemental Evil, so I can work through it. My OCD hates these damned evil waiting walls, forcing me to jump between all the campaigns, every day, making little progress in all of them, but making me feel like I am getting nowhere. I absolutely hate this personally, and if it was not for a awesome guild, I would probably have taken another year long break now, after just 2 months of this stupid system.
    pitshade said:

Get 1 each of Fey, Dragon Hoard... some like Quartermaster but I don't use them...

I use Dragon Hoard and Quartermaster. The primary use of the Quartermaster has been to feed the stronghold mimic Surplus.