test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kicked from game - why?

aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
edited May 2017 in PvP Discussion
I'm a PvP'er on the way up with a lot of experience in WoW and other games through a long gaming history. With NW PvP I tend to end up in a lot of pugs VS premades and whenever I get into a decent match I'm excited, because the game is a lot of fun in those circumstances. Unfortunately, twice in the past week I have been booted from these competitive matches and I'm trying to figure out why.

My cleric, in PvP, is designed to get in there, debuff/heal everything in the area, hold nodes, and be very survivable - he's not great at making kills, though some tweaks to his build and gear have upped his damage enough that I'm making a few now. I'm not really building him to kill at this point. I have had a lot of success at this so far oftentimes sneaking to the back node, grabbing it, and ending up single handedly tying up 3 to 4 of the opposing team while my team caps the field - or just holding the middle and having the opposing team congregate around me and let my team capture the far nodes while the other team is trying to dislodge me. Oddly, people can't seem to figure out that sometimes they should just ignore the guy they can't kill.

The side effect of this play style is that I oftentimes spend half of the match at a single node killing few people, capturing only one node, dying semi-frequently, and while my actions have allowed my team to capture the field, my score on the leaderboard has me near the bottom. My problem is now that I'm starting to get kicked and the only player I managed to ask about this, a rather apologetic Forsaken Rebel, said "I thought you were AFK so I started a vote to kick you" - well, of course, the team never saw me because I was at the far node the whole game and had few kills and only one capture while they raked in the kills on the players who didn't stay at my node trying to dislodge me. My current thought is that I'm being booted because people look at the leaderboard feel I'm not pulling my weight, and it *really* sucks when I'm doing precisely what I'm intending to do and helping my team win by tying up opposing players. If two or three players spend 1 minute plus trying to get me off a node that I'm at alone, I consider that a win as my team has a significant advantage on the field - but the leaderboard does not in any way reflect my contribution and now I suspect I'm getting kicked for it in competitive matches. I am not dead weight - I'm just not killing/capping so much as tying up the opposing team's resources.

Am I reading this right? Am I being booted because people are just not realizing that I'm actually being very active at the other end of the map? Some of you may have seen me, so fill me in. Frankly, this is making it really bloody hard to build up glory when 3/4 of the games I play are premade VS pug smashes and I get booted from competitive games at the 75% mark. Or is there just a pretty HAMSTER community at work here? I also recognize the possibility that I'm just such an abhorrent PvP'er that people are seeing fit to vote to kick me without warning just because I'm that bad.

PS - the game I got booted from last night was ugly and competitive. A rogue had my number but I was busting my HAMSTER the whole time and had helped with more than a few flag caps. Very disappointing to, without warning, get kicked after 10+ minutes of hard play in a competitive game when I really need to be amassing glory.
Post edited by aftershafter on

Comments

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    some people just boot the cleric cause they feel they are not getting heals and dying
    they expect you to always come to them which strategically does not always win matches
    normally there is a reason typed too

I had someone try to boot me for not fighting on node 2 on the initial rush when only 4 player arrived and one died right away ... reason for trying to kick me not fighting on node lol
    like what the hampster dont fight on the node 3 v 5 you disperse or withdraw to another point
    the player expected me to die on the node like an idiot

there was no point on fighing on node at that point cause it could not be captured
    moron pugs see what they want and belive what they want
  • aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    Thanks Kalina. I have noticed a bit of that. I sometimes get angry private messages from players roughly in the form of "WTF DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TO HEAL?" when I'm busy building charges to drop an empowered astral shield on the node or just trying to survive until I can do so... Frankly, healing in PvP is so outpaced by damage - piercing, particularly - I find that against some groups healing is just wasted effort and instead focus on interruption and distraction. It has its place, but I find that being a healbot in PvP is only situationally useful and a lot of players just don't seem to get that.
    edited May 2017
    these players should be using mount insignia bonuses and life steal as their main source of healing not you

you also see the ocational bright one that is at no or low health run all the way to get a pot /potion when it would have be easier to just die and come back at full health .. and or die to automatically teleport to the other far node side where they are needed
  • ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    edited May 2017

Thanks Kalina. I have noticed a bit of that. I sometimes get angry private messages from players roughly in the form of "WTF DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TO HEAL?" when I'm busy building charges to drop an empowered astral shield on the node or just trying to survive until I can do so... Frankly, healing in PvP is so outpaced by damage - piercing, particularly - I find that against some groups healing is just wasted effort and instead focus on interruption and distraction. It has its place, but I find that being a healbot in PvP is only situationally useful and a lot of players just don't seem to get that.

I would say if you're going to far node which you, I assume don't own, or won't own for long as you'll be outnumbered and overcapped, that you're not fulfilling the role of a heal DC. If you can't kill, you can't really "contest" a node unless the players on the other team are just really poor at strategy.

If you did this in a match against my team, I'd stick my most useless player against you and tell him to keep coming back to your node if you killed him and keep the node blue. Then you're doing nothing to help your team and I've still got my strongest players/DPS to kill your healerless team.

As a buffer/healer... you do best helping contest a node by keeping your players alive and by debuffing enemies for a fast wipe. The only way your strategy works is if the opposing team is just being dumb tbh.
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Questions:
    @aftershafter
    1) "Am I being booted because people are just not realizing that I'm actually being very active at the other end of the map?
    2) ... Or is there just a pretty HAMSTER community at work here?"

Answers:
    1)yes
    2)YES
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
    edited May 2017
    many a match I have baited 2 or 3 players and kept them occupied but it has to be a really dumb team you are facing
    and they ( your team ) might need your extra body to force cap a node or only try and own 2 out of 3 nodes as a strategy
    I would also add if you're having trouble out healing DPS it's likely gear/build/encounter related. Heal DCs are really good at keeping players alive when built properly. PM me if you'd like info on how to go about building a PVP heal D.C.

imgur pics don't work

I would say if you're going to far node which you, I assume don't own, or won't own for long as you'll be outnumbered and overcapped, that you're not fulfilling the role of a heal DC. If you can't kill, you can't really "contest" a node unless the players on the other team are just really poor at strategy.

If you did this in a match against my team, I'd stick my most useless player against you and tell him to keep coming back to your node if you killed him and keep the node blue. Then you're doing nothing to help your team and I've still got my strongest players/DPS to kill your healerless team.

As a buffer/healer... you do best helping contest a node by keeping your players alive and by debuffing enemies for a fast wipe. The only way your strategy works is if the opposing team is just being dumb tbh.
    I don't think I ever said I was a dedicated healing DC, though I fill that role when necessary. So let me clarify, I'm not intending to be a dedicated healer so much as an incidental one. As per your comment about "you do best helping contest a node by keeping your players alive and by debuffing enemies for a fast wipe" that's pretty much covered under "My cleric, in PvP, is designed to get in there, debuff/heal everything in the area, hold nodes, and be very survivable"

I don't do this in matches where I'm playing organized teams nor did I ever suggest this would work in such cases - though, with pugs VS organized teams, it's usually a lost cause from the get go. Frankly, all you need to do to defeat this strategy is to ignore me which is why I'm focusing a bit more on damage so I can get things moving more in disorganized pug situations where I can't rely on organization, support, or coherent strategy from my team. That being said, this is a *wildly* effective move VS other pugs since they don't tend to think as a unit and when they see one guy attacking another line guy, they want to rush in to get the assist rather than hit a prime target or assist the guys trying to cap another node. The frequency with which I find myself tying up three of their members is astounding. Whatever your team would do VS this is rather irrelevant as I won't be using it against an organized team which will use an easy counter.

Lastly, as per your offer of information on healing builds, I may take you up on that. Though, just to be clear, I'm not talking about healing regular damage in the more chaotic melees around nodes - I'm talking about piercing burst damage well over the 100k mark. Frankly, even with a variant of my main heal build (I've been a PvE healer for months) and a fully empowered bastion of health, my heals aren't getting into that range and they are cumbersome as hell to line up in a chaotic melee, let alone getting them charged up. If there is some magic ticket I'm missing to up my heals onto a whole other level in PvP, I'd definitely like to know it. As it stands, between crowd control, the chaos of a node fight, and piercing damage, I find healing rather ineffective other than as top ups and helping offset general damage. My abilities are far more useful for mitigation, interruption, and debuff with healing being a fourth asset I bring to the table.

As for the original post... No thoughts on my actual questions, or just wanted to tell me that your team could overcome my barnacle routine?
    kalina311 said:

many a match I have baited 2 or 3 players and kept them occupied but it has to be a really dumb team you are facing
    and they ( your team ) might need your extra body to force cap a node or only try and own 2 out of 3 nodes as a strategy

It really only works VS pugs where everyone is in it for themselves first and capping a node + killing a single player is a temptation. Frankly, all you have to do to "beat" this barnacle routine is ignore the player sitting on the node, then use your manpower advantage to cap the other nodes. I'm not claiming it as some sort of unbeatable strategy, but it's one I'm finding very effective VS pugs. I change as needed though and I find myself very effective as support buffer/debuffer/healer. Now I'm even starting to make some kills after some build and gear tweaks, so that's nice - but, I'd still rather focus on helping the team hold locations/make kills rather than trying to make a ton of kills myself.
    edited May 2017
    @aftershafter Nothing to do with my team > than your barnacle routine, I was trying to give advice that will likely help your team see you're involved and decrease the likelihood of a kick.

As far as piercing damage over the 100K mark see my post on first strike and SoD SE, the only cure for that is to dodge it or die if you're a class without one.

I could give you loads of info on how to try to be most effective achieving your goal and increase your chances of amassing glory. If you're interested just PM me.

Thanks.

imgur pics don't work

• solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I get lots of annoying msg when I play my dps cleric in pvp level 60.
    I know of a tank build that's pretty good if you want it let me know
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    there r lots of kicks, especialy if the match is even.
    at lest in the solo Q section.

even that some squishy players go afk at some point, i dont think kick should be possible after 10 min of fight or somthing.
    only 2 votes is enough to kick, so its not that hard.