test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Debuff companions

santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
I could use some help picking a new companion. I think I'd like to get a debuff and run it up to legendary, replacing my current legendary. What would make the best choice for a GF? I know the Sellsword is very common right now, and have heard good things about Rust Monster. I'd like it to be something I wouldn't mind running summoned. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Dancing shield has a nice debuff.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Which type of debuff? Damage increasing debuffs? Or damage reducing debuffs?

For the former, Dancing Shield is the best there is for a GF, followed by the sword trio, Ambush Drake, and Harper Bard.

I doubt anybody specifically looks for the latter, but the Dedicated Squire and Rust Monster are good for that purpose.

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Harper Bard imo is the best companion to get for a GF to buff the group and provides the player a small bonus to HP.
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I use Rust Monster at the moment. I used Dancing Shield but it steals aggro plus I prefer damage debuff and dr debuff combined than one huge dr debuff. Also, Rust Monster is a controller, so it gives some better stats when bondings proc.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    This is all good information, thanks for the tips! I am currently running with a SellSword, but plan to switch to Rust Monster in the near future. I might go Harper Bard if I find a good deal or pick one up at FBI.
  • mitty#8178 mitty Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Along these lines, what is the effect of the Dancing Shield's debuff? I am assuming that 20% defense debuff does not equate to 20% more damage. Am I wrong? Does it blow away the 5% increased damage taken debuff of the Rust Monster's corrosive attack, or are they close?

Along these lines, what is the effect of the Dancing Shield's debuff? I am assuming that 20% defense debuff does not equate to 20% more damage. Am I wrong? Does it blow away the 5% increased damage taken debuff of the Rust Monster's corrosive attack, or are they close?

Are you referring to the summoned Rust Monster debuff?

Because Dancing Shield practically rekts the Rust Monster's summoned damage increasing debuff.

Dancing Shield works all teams, regardless of how good your team is at applying debuffs. Rust Monster's summoned damage increasing debuff can be rendered useless due to the debuff cap.

Rust monster is better for a more defensive focused GF, whereas the Dancing Shield is better for a more offensive focused GF.

Good to know.
    @rjc9000 exactly what I was referring to, thanks so much.
    edited May 2017
    Dancing Shield at purple.
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    For a TANK setup I'm using:

Orange Dancing Shield as my main (debuff)
    Purple Rust Monster (debuff)
    Purple Chicken (debuff)
    Purple (duh!) Energon (+HP)

Last spot is reserved for Air Archon used for DPS. I'm too lazy to swap it out for another comp and removing this one makes him loose his gear which is a pure (insert bad word here) thing all the way !

Thought about swapping the Energon for yet another debuff comp, but for now, I'm happy with 10k HP.
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
    It doesn't stack indeed.

I like mine because it fits the theme :)

2). Yes. I am panzer!
    edited May 2017
    The Sellsword needs to be summoned for the debuff, as I recall. What about Dancing Shield, Rust Monster, Chicken?

I also run Energon, Frozen Galeb Duhr and Air Archon. I perhaps made Sellsword orange too quickly, so I'm still using her, though not summoned. Would love a Siege Master if I just had a sixth slot.

My GF is the Jack-of-all-trades variety. Can't seem to give up DPS, but keeping a solid DR for tanking.
    AFAIK Shield has to be summoned as well, it's one of it's active abilities.

I do believe it's shown as "WEAK" when it's applied upon hitting the enemy.

As for the Rust Monster and Chicken companions, they do not need to be summoned to apply the debuff.

2). Yes. I am panzer!
  • jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    kemi1984 said:

AFAIK Shield has to be summoned as well, it's one of it's active abilities.

I do believe it's shown as "WEAK" when it's applied upon hitting the enemy.

As for the Rust Monster and Chicken companions, they do not need to be summoned to apply the debuff.

@kemi1984 you are right, the shield does need to be summoned to apply the debuff.
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    My "debuff" companions are:

Harper Bard(legendary)
    Bear Cub(purple)
    Rust Monster(purple)
    Chicken(purple)

Trying to figure out the 5th. Maybe Dread Warrior for the threat, but I read something about black ice prospector actually giving you threat, so would he be better than dread warrior? Don't really see another debuff companion if I keep Harper Bard as active. Would it be worth getting dancing shield and keeping him active over harper bard? Also saw jagged dancing sword? Wasn't sure if it was actually worth building up. Or Energon for HP? Have Blacksmith, but don't think he's very good due to cap. Have Yeti also, but he'll be for my DPS crew.
    I believe Yeti is broken. You will have fun being really BIG but he does not increase your damage at all.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    stark760 said:

Harper Bard(legendary)
    Bear Cub(purple)
    Rust Monster(purple)
    Chicken(purple)

Trying to figure out the 5th. Maybe Dread Warrior for the threat, but I read something about black ice prospector actually giving you threat, so would he be better than dread warrior? Don't really see another debuff companion if I keep Harper Bard as active. Would it be worth getting dancing shield and keeping him active over harper bard? Also saw jagged dancing sword? Wasn't sure if it was actually worth building up. Or Energon for HP? Have Blacksmith, but don't think he's very good due to cap. Have Yeti also, but he'll be for my DPS crew.

Harper Bard isn't that great for end-game party DPS compared with the sword trio or dancing shield, but is respectable as a stepping stone.

Yeti is broken (as mentioned) and doesn't give damage bonus.

Jagged dancing sword is junk because the active debuff only applies to the companion (and not you)

For a 5th I'd probably decide based on what you need. You could add an archon if you want an easier time soloing. Energon is probably best defensive choice. Sylph or Will 'o Wisp for control resistance can be helpful. Or sprites for action points if you could use more dailies.
    stark760 said:

Harper Bard(legendary)
    Bear Cub(purple)
    Rust Monster(purple)
    Chicken(purple)

Try the Energon, Elemental Air Cultist, or Slyph.

Elemental Air Cultist: A damage debuff comp like Rust Monster or Chicken.
    Slyph: +50% CC resist, very useful if you find yourself getting backed into CC effects.

As others have said, the Harper Bard isn't "amazing", but I can tolerate it on the basis of being team oriented and having respectable slots.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    @rjc9000 didn't you once say that the uptime on the chicken was really poor?
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    I believe I said the uptime on the Ambush Drake debuff is extremely poor.

The idea of using a chicken on a GF is to reduce enemy damage so you/your teammates survive. This will only occur at low health and isn't that great for GFs who are able to keep their HP topped off, but it's not like much else will help a GF in personal/team survival (yeah, I totally need that Skeletal Dog and its barely 1% Lifesteal increase! /sarcasm).

Unorthodox alternative (in no way superior to uncapped debuff companions):
    Paranoid Delusion puts a nice exclamation-point onto anyone trying to max CC-triggered damage (crushing pin, trample the fallen, battle trample, Cockatrice, etc.).
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Paranoid_Delusion

Just hate all the "only one way, all the rest objectively suck" cookie cutter assumptions.
    Completely fine to pick a companion that matches your playstyle, even if it isn't BiS or the FotM.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • remfdtremfdt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 83 Arc User
    Defensive, perhaps an ioun stone of allure? 10% chance (purple) on encounter use to "slow" target. Not sure what the duration/impact is, anyone have #'s?
    Welp. looks like the Yeti is getting a fix when 11b drops on consoles.

Also Iron Guard!

I had a link on my phone; trying to find it on the pc now. The quote from a Redditor is as follows:
    Classes and Balance Guardian Fighter: Iron Guard: This feat's effects now properly provide 5% reduced damage per stack, rather than 5% reduced damage regardless of stacks. Hunter Ranger: Split the Sky now consistently does both the described damage reflection and periodic damage strikes, rather than randomly choosing one of those. Scourge Warlock: Warlock's Bargain no longer triggers weapon enhancement effects on damage redirected to the linked target.
    Companions All companions that didn't have an Active Companion Bonus at Uncommon quality, such as the Winter Wolf companion, now properly do. Young Yeti: This companion's Active Bonus now properly increases damage as stated in the tooltip. The tooltip has been updated with more details.
    Yeti active bonus also has a horrendus uptime (5 seconds? WTF?) cooldown (60 sec, RIP) and a meh damage bonus (5%?).

If it was, say, 25% for 5 seconds, that's a different story...

> @mitty#8178 said:
    > Welp. looks like the Yeti is getting a fix when 11b drops on consoles.
    >
    > Also Iron Guard!
    >
    > I had a link on my phone; trying to find it on the pc now. The quote from a Redditor is as follows: Classes and Balance Guardian Fighter: Iron Guard: This feat's effects now properly provide 5% reduced damage per stack, rather than 5% reduced damage regardless of stacks.

Testing to confirm Iron Guard fix at this moment.

"Suddenly, two glowing eyes blaze from the darkness inside the spiked turtle shell..."
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    Yeti goes upto 10% damage, but still main reason is to pair with villains menace and eye of the giant. Im probably going to get Energon for now for the 5% HP.
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I started to use Con Artist on my GF and suprisingly it works really good! 3x ring slot works awesome even though it has 2x offensive 1x defensive. I'm really enjoying this one so far. Until I will get some good belts for my Rust Monster, this (con artist) will be my choice.
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    Chicken: nice Augment pet, debuff/buff lasts only 4 seconds, 30 second cooldown, not worth it unless you like hearing *bawk* all the time and enjoy it flapping around and randomly just pulling it's wings over it's head while sticking it's HAMSTER it the air!

Black Dragon Ioun Stone is nice for 10% crit increase, Augments can't be stomped in oPvP, 3 ring slots, easy to gear, also always comes at Epic rank.

I like Rust Monster personally, Damage Debuff 8% and a Debuff 5% which has a 30 second uptime regardless of whether it is killed or not. It's active is total trash, even with KV you will rarely see 2 let alone 3 stacks.

Dedicated Squire: His Cleansing Touch is completely broken, Smite has 100% uptime.

Air Cultist, as summoned, will pull Powries from WoD given the chance, it's AoEs look great but they are bloody massive.

Yeti got nerfed so badly it's never going to be impressed ever again, wouldn't be surprised if it just disappears from your inventory and crawls back to it's cage in Caer Coenig.

Ioun Stone of Allure, the Slow active has NEVER worked, knowing Cryptic, Never will. (Can you say perma Crushing Pin?).

Slyph amazing pet, whether summond or not, poor man's Elven Battle Enchantment (once you've bought the pack that is), heard it's active is non functional in oPvP.

Preistess of Sehanine, can boost party members crit by up to 20% and debuffs enemey crit chance by 40%, useless if you are ranged as it's range is only 15 feet. Leader Pet though, boosts Recovery which is nice, 3 defense slots.

Purple Bulette pup is very nice, even just for active, at 200k hit points I heal roughly 9k Hit Points a tic and tics several times.