test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trapper update informations

rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
edited April 2017 in The Wilds
Hi guys,
i recently switched back to trapper from combat.
this means some gear is not really optimased, for example im running with vorpal.
btw is the first time trying to play trapper after the "rework" and my damage was way higher as combat.
what rotation are you using against trash and bosses?
any new skill worth of mention?

general tips are appreciated.
i missed rooting for soo long
Post edited by rayrdan on

Comments

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    The typical trash clearing cheese is more or less still hindering/constricting/plant growth. Are you using serpent and the feat for it? That alone is a huge dps boost. And are you pathfinder?

I been using hindering shot to proc the capstone then swap stance to mark the big baddy if there is one with careful attack, then switch back to constricting arrow and another ranged shot to buff up plant growth on a mob, hindering strike, steel breeze, then back to ranged and pop cordon if given a chance if not then just the same rotation minus careful attack.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

The typical trash clearing cheese is more or less still hindering/constricting/plant growth. Are you using serpent and the feat for it? That alone is a huge dps boost. And are you pathfinder?

I been using hindering shot to proc the capstone then swap stance to mark the big baddy if there is one with careful attack, then switch back to constricting arrow and another ranged shot to buff up plant growth on a mob, hindering strike, steel breeze, then back to ranged and pop cordon if given a chance if not then just the same rotation minus careful attack.

Yes im pathfinder and im using serpent feated.
    i just bought a trans dread of AH.
    i dont know, combat seems to do more damages until now but im definitely missing something
    what about Hawkeye and ambush?
    are they of any use?
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I have zero experience with ambush, but I highly doubt it's going to function with pve rotations. And Bugeye is pretty much something archery would mess with, even then, it's still awful and unreliable.

You just want those buffed dots and heavy AoE on trash, and all the root powers still deal extra damage to bosses even though they don't apply a dot. Then there's longstrider and gushing wound, if you got some mobility, it works out great, but don't try this into the rotation if you got the horrible base movement speed.
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    rayrdan said:

ghoulz66 said:

Yes im pathfinder and im using serpent feated.
    i just bought a trans dread of AH.
    i dont know, combat seems to do more damages until now but im definitely missing something
    Hmmm strange, Trapper should still feel really powerful so not sure where you are going wrong, maybe post a clip or 2 of your playstyle. I could make a clip and post my current set up if you like?

I have no Mod 10 gear as bypassed that rubbish, working on getting Mod 11 weapons at the mo. I still even have Elven Arms still lol... can solo or drag any 4 through 98% of the content still. Just a couple of small changes needed at certain points in Dungeons, Loadouts will hopefully help with that.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited April 2017
    Hmmm i cannot post links, or at least I cannot figure out to on my X1, I have not bothered to fix my laptop lol.

Anyhoo if you google wdj40 and xbox DVR, i have made a few screenshots of my stats (without and with Bondings and Shepherds Devotion). Also of my Companion, Mounts etc etc.

I always use LS>Constricting>Disruptive>CoA>HT for maximum damage making sure to switch and use PG before LS buff ends. CoA/PG is fixed so once again worth using... switching CoA for Hindering also smashes out the damage. Hardly ever do i get out DPS'd in this mode.

But this rotation switches to Fox's>Binding>Hindering>Disruptive>HT after the 2nd boss in CN, for the new Illusion Skirmish and also for PvP. High HP, Power, Crit and Maze Inspiration Boon etc make for a HR that can leave the Illusion Skirmish PUG with 5mil healing and 100% PUG success rate.

Also i Deflect/Reflect lots of damage, the Shirt/Pants combo is amazing... you can manipulate both boons to Trigger via Shepherds Devotion... Basically you want your Lifesteal (after Bondings) higher than Deflect giving you double LS Severity... Then when you hit a Daily and activate Shepherds you activate the Reflect part. Anyhoo Shadowclad is also great :)
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    i got the trick.
    is gushing wounds in single target. It outshines combat performances by far.
    without that, combat overall would win hands down.
    thanks everyone
    rayrdan said:

i got the trick.
    thanks everyone

Funny thing is I'm so powerful that all trash Mobs, outside of Top Tier Dungeons die quickly, so i hardly ever get to use GW, I have to swing at thin air if i want to bother getting Ranged AotS maxed before switching. GW starts to shine when there is 1 high HP enemy around.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited April 2017
    wdj40 said:

rayrdan said:

i got the trick.
    thanks everyone

Funny thing is I'm so powerful that all trash Mobs, outside of Top Tier Dungeons die quickly, so i hardly ever get to use GW, I have to swing at thin air if i want to bother getting Ranged AotS maxed before switching. GW starts to shine when there is 1 high HP enemy around.
    indeed like a said, my combat HR was outdpsing everything/everyone in trash killing.
    for what i experienced, trapper is only better (kind of a lot better) in single target and only thanks to gushing wounds that can be spammed every 3 seconds.
    however i missed ranged attacks and dazes in pvp... so for now im back to trapper ^^
  • davidagaldodavidagaldo Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    LOL
    Guild: Spectrum
    .. Teucer (HR) / Maximus Decimus (DC) .. GT: ApexDemon
  • auntjimimaauntjimima Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Trapper in PvP requires somewhere between 110 and 130 res ignored (Testing in that range more now since I got arp mount.. maybe higher?? It's all situational depending on opponent but that should put a solid sent it in most people's armor.) Also at least 30k power. Lower critical. I was just rocking high critical plus dread. Then switched to fey and have been dropping off the crit... I'm at 40% now. Other PvP hints....

Invest in combat advantage. Combatant's maneuver works. I have 18% can get up to 25 but with less crit.

Vicous in offense, Savage defense, several arp/power artifacts, power guild boon, I switch between defense and hp guild boon situationally.

Usual rotation. Serpent's and crushing (mostly). Lone, pack (build/load out/ situation). Forest ghost, disruptive. And if you take some slashers feat, that's good situationally too. a good stiff punch.
    edited April 2017

Trapper in PvP requires somewhere between 110 and 130 res ignored (Testing in that range more now since I got arp mount.. maybe higher?? It's all situational depending on opponent but that should put a solid sent it in most people's armor.) Also at least 30k power. Lower critical. I was just rocking high critical plus dread. Then switched to fey and have been dropping off the crit... I'm at 40% now. Other PvP hints....

Invest in combat advantage. Combatant's maneuver works. I have 18% can get up to 25 but with less crit.

Vicous in offense, Savage defense, several arp/power artifacts, power guild boon, I switch between defense and hp guild boon situationally.

Usual rotation. Serpent's and crushing (mostly). Lone, pack (build/load out/ situation). Forest ghost, disruptive. And if you take some slashers feat, that's good situationally too. a good stiff punch.

You really dont need Arm Pen that high with Dread. Last solo queue event I played with 3k with Dread... I had very litte trouble killing anyone with hardly any deaths. Dread strrips of 40% of their Defence, plus more with a Race like Drow etc.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited April 2017
    @auntjimima
    indeed i prefer to keep stacking crit in pvp too.
    im playing with like 30k power, 58% crit chance and 6.3k armor pen (un-potted) and im using dread there too (which already siphons 40% defence rating).
    why? because trapper damage is low vs players and a simple insignas bonus (healing while being controlled + pvp set bonus) hence my main role is keeping dazing and recharging powers thanks to cooldown reduction upon crit (tanks and TRs will do their things easily).

feytouch would be the best choice at that point overall but:

-it gets bugged with many HR powers (like thornward)
    - if you and a party member are wearing the feytouch and you are fighting against a common enemy only one gets the damage buff and the debuff on the enemy dont stack. Being feytouch so commonly used in pvp, chances of this happening are pretty high. More over in a premade the 4 people in my party are already using feytouch and debuffing the enemy damage for me.

dread allows to:
    -stack another debuff on the enemy team
    - brings higher damage on the table being focused on stacking crit.

in solo q i agree this set up is suboptimal but allows me to easily swtich to pvp to pve so i dont complain too much.
    i would argue it could work well there too if i was using pvp rings but after all the farm i m not going to unslot my orange rings.
    (forgive me, i was way more pvp focused a couple of year ago ^^)

about defense im wearing negation, 13% base lifesteal + rising lifesteal +5, 200k HP and i have to other choice than using lone wolf.

lets continue to talk about this, i like the discussion
    edited April 2017
    *I use fey now. Not dread. This is why I have arp high. Power and arp.

I had similar thinking with dread debuff/ pve and PvP usefulness. I took a long time to switch over but finally did as I saw another trapper friend go for this set up/ stat distribution and watched his numbers roll. Side note tho... As soon as your hit with fey your damage sucks. (Especially with dread) Which happens all too easily and often.

Myself I use fey because I also don't use lone wolf. I don't have any deflect at all. I use serpent and crushing or pack. Literally running 10% deflect and don't care. Fey, dodges, champions return, one of the 20k healing boons, displace fate boon, and a defensive armor enchant... Bark (currently using), shadowclad, negation. All I need to survive most

With power stack and ca damage bonus I'm not far off from pve damage I had before switch to fey.

Currently rocking X2 power rings rising and brutality. Assassin's covenant, bloodstained shirt, and that power for stamina loss boon. I my self have almost 33k power base. Other trapper friend has about 30k. He stacks more deflect, and charisma. And has way less crit. He wins in 1v1 probably because more tanky. But I think I see better damage.

I've tested the hard limits of dread for PvP. I'm so much better off with fey/ arp power build. Just saying.
    Also 3/4 prestige set + pve armor. Next mod, executioner's black attire looks good. That's 2k tenacity...

Also 3/4 prestige set + pve armor. Next mod, executioner's black attire looks good. That's 2k tenacity...

didnt see that, do you have any screen? @auntjimima
    Also.. with dread (although high #s MORE OFTEN) you are getting cut in half twice... Once for arp res. And once for crit res. Then again 20% once hit with fey.

I choose crit less often but still crits themselves are good. 89% severity is what I got. 40% base crit. Buffs from a boon = 2.5% buff from serpent's =0, 2.5, 5%. And 2 to 4 % more from using black overload.
    luckly im not running short of weapon enchantments...vorpal, dread, fey, bilethorn, name one. Switching to vicious enchantments is hard, i can do it but it would totally kill pve damages.
    will see.

thanks
    edited April 2017
    rayrdan said:

wdj40 said:

rayrdan said:

i got the trick.
    thanks everyone

indeed like a said, my combat HR was outdpsing everything/everyone in trash killing.
    for what i experienced, trapper is only better (kind of a lot better) in single target and only thanks to gushing wounds that can be spammed every 3 seconds.
    however i missed ranged attacks and dazes in pvp... so for now im back to trapper ^^
    Yeah that is 1 of the reasons I love the Trapper so much. For single target hit Gushing with 2 stacks of AotS, Deft Strike, Longstrider Buff and Master Trapper (plus more buffs) it is a beastly attack... For AoE Plant Growth or Hindering strike with all those buffs and Gushing at the end of the rotation if I can squeeze it in.

I also dont aim for 100% Crit as I manipulate Owlbear to possibly proc on my weak attacks, when AotS stacks are used up in that specific rotation. Also sometimes Ranged attacks do not Crit over a certain range, handy when going out to LS range and CoA does not Crit as Owlbear would compensate.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    @wdj40 While you may not need that much arp.. it is a better investment than crit once you get past a certain point in power stacking. Not to mention those tanks and dcs that are seemingly unkillable. Drow debuff doesn't add much. dread debuff is next to nothing once hit by fey which will nearly always happen...

Trapper has to consider best stat balance vs all classes/builds to be successful​. It's a tough cookie to crack.
    i can switch back to combat freely for the time being yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    rayrdan said:

i can switch back to combat freely for the time being yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

lol, i still have to wait weeks for Loadouts... please explain a little how its working :)

I look forward to finally being able to compare damage between set-ups on the X1 :)
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    rayrdan said:

lol, i still have to wait weeks for Loadouts... please explain a little how its working :)

I look forward to finally being able to compare damage between set-ups on the X1 :)
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited May 2017
    wdj40 said:

rayrdan said:

i dont know, i can know freely switch between the two paths but i will be staying combat for most of the time.
    all around seems so much better to me..tons of life steal, healing, deflect stacking.. recovery doesnt feel a wasted stat, crit is not really a damage hinderance in pvp and is an AoE king. More over orcus set does its job pretty well while it s totally awful as trapper
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Dex/wis neck + dex belt ftw. Orcus can go HAMSTER up a rope.
    No idea what my toon is now.
    edited May 2017
    jonkoca said:

Dex/wis neck + dex belt ftw. Orcus can go HAMSTER up a rope.

you still combat?
    btw i m not saying that combo is not slighly better but i can wait for 20 june (next 2x refinement points quite easily)
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Still combat, had enough of trapper to last me for a few more mods. And combat just destroys ppl in PvP.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • kydavi#1678 kydavi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Can't speak for PVP, avoid it like a locust swarm, but for PVE my trapper ranger is lava (ie I melt everything in my path); not even 4k yet (or whatever the # is under the new system on PC) and I have no problem dealing god-awful damage to the AI.
    kydavi

Main: Nidara Devilspawn- Ranger
    Alt: Aradin Coldblood- Fighter
    Alt: Lucrezia Vileborn- Warlock

Can't speak for PVP, avoid it like a locust swarm, but for PVE my trapper ranger is lava (ie I melt everything in my path); not even 4k yet (or whatever the # is under the new system on PC) and I have no problem dealing god-awful damage to the AI.

if you are on pc lets run a cn together
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    derp didn't realize this thread was so old. nothing to see here move along