test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gf questions

king0fvengeanceking0fvengeance Member Posts: 6 Arc User
I have a fairly tanky gf at 4208 IL. With companions gift I have 210k hp, 100% dr, 80% RI, 10k LS, 80% deflect chance.
1. Should I sacrifice some deflect for more hp or vice versa?
2. How useful is deflection
3. Should I sacrifice some deflection and lifesteal and push for 300k hp or is that overboard?

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Deflect isn't exactly the greatest of stats (because DR and HP generally give more consistent, and if stacked, stronger methods of surviving hits), but you can Deflect while shielding and it can be useful if you're caught without your shield.

You already have a good setup, so you should allocate your stats based off of what you like on your tank.

If you prefer to have more chances to screw up, then HP.
    If you prefer having your HP always full, then Lifesteal.
    If you just like taking halved damage 24/7, then you can try and push for 100% Deflect chance.
    If you absolutely want to counter every single instance of every armorpen, I believe the max ArmorPen for some monsters is 30%, so you could elect to get 10% more DR (although I think that's a waste, because most boss attacks are easy enough to shield anyways).

• king0fvengeanceking0fvengeance Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Okay thanks. One more question. As far as mount combat powers go, what is his for gf? I'm assuming probably swift golden lion or tenders?
    'Best'
    Lion.
    The emergency extra shield is much more useful to a defensive GF than the Tenser's offensive power.

• sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 203 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Deflect isn't exactly the greatest of stats (because DR and HP generally give more consistent, and if stacked, stronger methods of surviving hits), but you can Deflect while shielding and it can be useful if you're caught without your shield.

You already have a good setup, so you should allocate your stats based off of what you like on your tank.

If you prefer to have more chances to screw up, then HP.
    If you prefer having your HP always full, then Lifesteal.
    If you just like taking halved damage 24/7, then you can try and push for 100% Deflect chance.
    If you absolutely want to counter every single instance of every armorpen, I believe the max ArmorPen for some monsters is 30%, so you could elect to get 10% more DR (although I think that's a waste, because most boss attacks are easy enough to shield anyways).

Hey @rjc9000 ,

Seem to remember you saying that GF's didn't deflect while using Shield? I had meant to verify this, but I haven't been playing my GF lately and have not had a lot of play time lately.

Thanks.
    -= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
    I've been a bit busy as well, but in my spare time, Sume (@kikopop) and Isaac the Adequate at being Awkward (@jaegernl) brought to my attention that GFs CAN deflect while shielding.

The latter was able to proc Fey Thistle (it was either that or Frozen Reflection, can't remember which) on random mobs from just holding shield. The former came to "gently" remind me that I should give the Deflect while shielding thing a chance.

Either I haven't noticed the Deflect symbols when I'm shielding, or the symbols don't actually appear but still grant the Deflect roll. I'm not one to rely on something super luck based, especially given that I owe the RNG Goddess a lot of favors.

Gotcha,

Thanks for the clarification.
    -= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
    If I were to switch to conqueror, I'm assuming it'd be a lot easier to hold aggro right? Will I still be able to tank FBI and msva effectively?
    Yes, your aggro generation will be better than a Protector/Tactician due to the increased damage.

Playing a tank based Conqueror is gearing and playing your GF like you would a Tactician or Protector, with the perk of having better aggro generation. You should be fine, given that the main perks of each tree are their minor damage debuffs and increased ITF buffing potential (Tactician) & slower Stamina drain (Protector).

Okay. Also, how much of a difference would 100% ca damage resist make?
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @king0fvengeance
    "Okay. Also, how much of a difference would 100% ca damage resist make?"

You may be mixing our terms here.
    Do you mean Combat Advantage damage reduction?
    There are feat's, boons and some items that do this. Useful when in crowds and being out flanked often. IMHO not game breaking protection, but nice to have. Never tried to push that to 100%. Seems like a poor ROI.
    But if you meant Damage Resistance? Yes. 100% DR makes a big difference (compared to, say, 60%) on endgame content, especially boss battles, as they have high resistance ignored.
    My turtle Loadout, with Bondings, hits about 110%. This would be a waste on quests and trash mob clearing. But it is a comfy blanket when Orcus is punching you in the face.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
    Okay thanks. Yeah, I was talking about pushing pushing max ca damage reduction with the personal beholder tank. But I guess I'll just continue to work towards a swift golden lion. Seems to be the most useful fo a gf.

Okay thanks. Yeah, I was talking about pushing pushing max ca damage reduction with the personal beholder tank. But I guess I'll just continue to work towards a swift golden lion. Seems to be the most useful fo a gf.

You might want to think about picking up a Rage Drake Mount for some chunk Crit % boost. 2k Epic 4k Legendary is a nice boost for a class with no attribute based crit %.

-= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Member of Ember Legion