test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Managing artifact powers

curmudgeon62curmudgeon62 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
Just got my Burning Mace and am wondering what artifact power to use. My at-wills are Shielding/Radiant, but the artifact power for Shielding Strike just says other at-wills can refresh it. Does that mean Oath or Valorous can apply the shield or do I need to still use Shielding to get it?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Greetings! I can tell you for certain that shielding strike is not the way you want to go! Shielding strike hits harder than other at will powers, but hits alot slower. Don't believe me? Try Oath Strike verses Shielding Strike, it's alot quicker. I hear you asking, but why does speed matter? Well most of a paladin's damage comes form Encounter powers, or what encounter powers trigger. Let me give you an example of my favorite layout. Since you have shielding Strike I assume you are asking for Oath of Protection.

Burning Light, Circle of Power, Templar's Wrath. Aura of Courage, Aura of Wisdom. Oath Strike, Radiant Strike.

What the above allows me to do is have alot of damage which generates threat. Have a ton of Temp HP through high damage, thanks to Templar's Wrath. And my filler is a quick chain of Oath Strike, that gives Echoes of Light a better chance to Proc, so I can use Burning Light and Templar's Wrath alot more!

So for artifact main hand bonus I would go almost entirely with Oath Strike's bonus. As for offhand, go with Aura of Courage, or Aura of Wisdom bonus. Any more questions feel free to ask here on the forums or PM me in-game!
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • Options
    curmudgeon62curmudgeon62 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    So what does the shielding strike bonus actually do? My understanding is that is proc's off the other strikes, not shielding strike itself.
  • Options
    thrilk#9892 thrilk Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    One problem is that almost every pally runs Radiant Strike as their other at-will, and doesn't Radiant Strike not fully refresh the shield like the others? Personally I would go with Oath Strike as your other at-will and skip shielding strike. I believe the power for oath strike is 6% more damage.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Most classes (possibly all) have one at will that works in conjunction with whatever one you've slotted. It's a bonus or effect power that works in combination with the other one and is regarded differently.

On my DC it's BoB which boosts team defence & offence, on my CW it's RoF which freezes enemies, on my GWF it's WMS which decreases enemy DR and on the Pally it's Radiant Strike which boosts your RI and DPS. That's why they have a different rule for the artifact power.

Re Shielding Strike, I used to use it a lot and I liked the big 'lump' damage and I found the shield helped a little, but I came to the same conclusion as Veywill, that rate-of-fire is much more important as it increases Divine Call generation and doubles your chances of triggering Echoes of Light (Shielding Compared to Oath & Valorous), these in turn increase AP gain.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox