test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gamers Decide Article

putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
Strum just posted an article referencing a gamers decide article about how much they love neverwinter. I rushed over to read it, then read a couple of other articles on this website looking to see what people are saying that aren't obvious employees of the game or forum ragers.

arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10476183-gamers-decide-10-things-they-love-about-neverwinter

Got to say I'm pretty let down. It was super generic and appears more likely written by a manager level at cryptic than an actual gamer. I would have posted some feedback on the strum post but couldn't find a related forum entry (I'm imagining this will get merged eventually). I love Neverwinter, else I wouldn't have been here for so long but this article does nothing to either market to players unfamiliar with neverwinter (other to say this is just another MMORPG) or enlighten existing fans of something they may have missed. So disappointed as I'm always hoping for more positive press (and thus more potential friends to pickup the game).

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I actually felt more like it was a blog post written by a virtual assistant service. Slightly unprofessional and badly copy-edited.

Not saying Gamers Decide can't be a fan site by people who actually play games (most of whom do not write professionally, after all), but one that looks like it exists more to get ads under eyeballs than to provide useful information or insights.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User

I actually felt more like it was a blog post written by a virtual assistant service. Slightly unprofessional and badly copy-edited.

Case in point:
    From battling the smallest Cobalts
    Are we discussing the chemical element here, or the automobile produced by Chevrolet? Haven't seen either one in game...

• putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    For me it just didn't provide value to anyone. Doesn't say what differentiates neverwinter from other MMOs (the combat system, the lore, or the fact we have a putz) or reasons to try it out. Every MMO has and claims to have a lot of options for character appearance and different sized mobs.
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    To me it seems like a thinly veiled ad-service, in which the "gamers decide" that as long as the check clears, your game is on the top 10 list of whatever you want...
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    If you go to the full article http://www.gamersdecide.com/pc-game-news/10-things-we-love-about-dd-neverwinter
    the author is there under the top banner, and she is a paid freelancer writer. You can find a profile at https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~011b084ba17bf5f9b2/

(one of the first results at google)

But, IMO, it's probably not her fault, the gamer decide site is the one that tries to manufacture articles by using writers and not actual gamers, and probably under-pays those so the quality is evident.

Would have been cheaper, easier and with better result if they just ran a zen reward contest for such article so actual players would write.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    But hey, we have capture the flag in PVP. I learned something new.
    micky1p00 said:

a paid freelancer writer

Who uses an apostrophe in a plural word in her profile. A+

Neverwinter Census 2017

• checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    The article was valuable in the sense that it filled 2 minutes of downtime while I wait for 2xenchants to begin. Now, instead of picking lint out of the dryer trap, I can learn that Neverwinter 1) has mobs 2) has PvP 3) has other people 4) has gear and graphics and 5) has levels. Wow! I MUST play Neverwinter.

LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    Can't decide whether the article itself is worse or the fact that it got featured in the freaking official news section.​​
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    start a survey, i say that it was featured. Anyone can say anything on the internet but official acknowledgement gives it credibility.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    True. Sometimes you just shake your head. The other day the official Twitter account was liking and replying to a gold-seller. Feels like they do not have time for this kind of community work on their regular schedule and then blindly hit like on stuff between two meetings...​​

I can learn that Neverwinter 1) has mobs 2) has PvP 3) has other people 4) has gear and graphics and 5) has levels. Wow! I MUST play Neverwinter.

I learned I can make a Fighter Cleric. That was definitely a thing I did not know before.

I'm pretty sure they retweet every MMO site that does a blurb based on their press releases, and might feature any "independent" media mention they find that doesn't come from a blacklisted source. Cough. By independent, I mean blogs or other content that are positive but not generated by a pro gaming site. Not an obvious one, anyway.

They don't research these likes or features because it's based on the assumption that everything else is genuine unless proven otherwise, I guess.

But I have to admit that it bothers me that this was featured, because it's a really awful commissioned piece. Though I guess it's worth the five dollars the author was likely paid, based on her rates.

And there's the insight into why it bugs me. If you're writing as a fan, I don't care about your grasp of English or getting terms right, or even the depth of your game knowledge if you're just trying to convey genuine enthusiasm. But if you're getting paid, I don't want to see some half-assed, poorly researched, semi-literate gabble. And if that's all your site can produce, I don't want it get more attention than it deserves, which is none.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• fizgigtiznalkie#4436 fizgigtiznalkie Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    "You also get to upgrade your enemies as well as enchant your companions like your armor. "

What?

People like the combat in this game, funny they left that out. People like that new content comes out every couple of months. People like the gear progression. They kind of hinted at this but people like that each class actually plays differently.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    "Icewind Dale with Frost Giants to Mount Hotenow with Fire Giants"

Such variety! We can fight giants, or we can fight giants!
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 130 Arc User

"You also get to upgrade your enemies as well as enchant your companions like your armor. "

What?

Sounds like Ricky from the Trailer Park Boys wrote this article...
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Which one of the 14.9 million bots wrote this?
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    "While the game is great, you also get to communicate and enjoy the company of people all the way around the world. Other players may not always be friendly but what else would you expect from an online game?"

Expect player not to be friendly that about sums it up LOL Omg this should have been the April fools article
    need to be taken down its that bad ..

"5 people on each team for capture the flag" (where is this game mode LOL ) activities work between levels of characters in tens (levels 20-29, 30-39, etc). This way you don’t get over powered by top level 70 characters; that wouldn’t be fair.

The Dev said the new Item Level is not accounted for when Matchmaking in PVP LOL I can find the direct Quote ...
    but dont worry you wont get over powered by top level characters...

also

"You need to learn to use your powers in the smartest way to defeat your online enemies – and you may want to turn their speakers off"

what the hampster does that mean ...so are we getting a new pvp item to turn someones speaker off lol s one is just as bad maybe even worse

http://www.gamersdecide.com/pc-game-news/top-10-items-worth-buying-real-money-neverwinter
    thier first example pictures does not even show what they are talking about ...etc etc

and this a total nub ranked classes from best to worst really really bad

http://www.gamersdecide.com/pc-game-news/dd-neverwinter-characters-ranked-worst-best
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    "PVP allows intimate meeting of the same online characters from all around the world"

GG in the universal language is love?
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Ok, closing this up as it's just flaming the author at this point.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
This discussion has been closed.