test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reduce Stronghold costs. It is time.

defiantone99defiantone99 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6,634 Arc User
I have said it and I will say it again, the costs of Strongholds are outrageous. Influence costs are mean-spirited and the amount of Conqueror's Shards are obscene. PVP is dead, so the shards come out of pocket. You have rank 20 guilds asking for more and more. give the rest of us a chance to get to 20 before we give up in disgust. Then, you can give the rank 20 guilds what they want. ALL costs need to be lowered. This has been an issue for too long.
DEFIANT "Where Yesterday Has Been Exiled, Memory Is Rebellion." "The state of ruin is essentially a temporary situation that happens at some point, the volatile result of a change of era and the fall of empires. Ruins are a fantastic land where one no longer knows whether reality slips into a dream or whether, on the contrary, dream makes a brutal return into the most violent of realities." #ITMFA

Comments

• minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    niadan said:

Why is your guild not at rank 20 and others are?

I do not remember our guild being GIVEN a rank 20 level. Though there were a few days last year that I did not log in and do my influence runs, dragonflight runs, and I still have one kidney left that was not donated to the coffer. Maybe I missed the get a free level 20 rank up on one of those days.

Probably because it only has a few active people gaining influence. They could do with helping out small guilds a bit. I have characters across 2 guilds mainly, one rank 20, one rank 5. Both have existed since SHs have, the difference is in the number of people contributing.

• lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    yeah, we have a struggling guild - 3-5 active players. Its terrible but I'm not sure we are asking for a free handout tho
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    It was a rhetorical question, not sarcasm. If you want a rank 20 guild in a reasonable amount of time, you have to build the membership. Alliance helps, and our rank 20 guild contribites quite a bit to our smaller alliance guilds.
    Post edited by niadan on
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    The only morphing is coming from you. I support all guilds having the ability to build 5 plots, and have stated such in the thread you are referring to. I am not against small guilds, I am against misinformation and twisting of words. As for lowering guild costs, I understand full well the costs associated with ranking up a guild, but how do you propose that it is fair to those that paid the price, to also be happy about a proposal to "drastically reduce the costs"? Reasonably reducing costs AND adding choice would be a much better solution, and one that I would get behind.

As for researching guild boons before building, I can assure you that our guild did plenty of that. Democracy works for our guild, and when the Explorers boon was voted in, I and the others that voted for the HP boon, still rolled up our sleeves and ground out the resources. They were costly, did not benefit everyone, but we still paid the price. So twist this however you wish, but I for one would be more willing to support some lowering of costs if there was also something given (like an additional boon plot for all guilds big or small).
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    How about the ability to set up a designated "small guild". Max say 30 accounts, 100 characters reduced costs. This would keep small guilds viable.

To make it non exploitable, once you've designated your guild as small, you can never change that.
  • safespacecadet#3341 safespacecadet Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    Why not just ask to get all those boons for free? Works sucks.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Typically in other games Ive played, costs do reduce each release for most past old items.

I think they have tried to help, with certain events (first siege was awesome and frankly shouldve been left that way.. ) but it comes down to #s.. you really need a solid 80-100 people alliance to do anything in a timely manner..

I still believe truly that Alliance slots should have fairly larger discounts.. AND the alliance helm SHOULD be able to rotate and stack WHAT discount is applied to what alliance member to help out.

This would be FAR more powerful of a tool and FAR more effective in helping out smaller guilds.

There should also be a Double donation one, where any one guild can be picked to receive donations.. for catch up.. and encourage alliance members to donate. This double donation, should be on a 30 day timer and then have to rotate and you ant recieve it in back to back months.. (or double guild mark earned)

There are SO many ways and SO great many ideas that have already been brought forth in the last 2 years.. but they are really slow to take up many of them..

All told, from day one , I still believe stronghold costs are a bit much.. they have actually relieved some of it..

I would still make ALL hes in ALL maps drop influence (omg.. makes us go to get influence on a laggy map and boring to boot, at least allow us to get through other campaigns and earn other materials while all get daily influence.. this is still one of the better suggestions)

Well, they are destroying small guilds with this refusal to budge. Many players just jump ship to guilds that are already 20, rather than grind to build a lower one. Large, rich guilds forget that lower member numbers equal more costs per player. The ones that do stick with small guilds, instead of jumping ship, deserve relief and to have rank 20 guilds. The rank 20 guilds actively poach members from smaller guilds, setting the smaller guilds further and further behind.

The whole guild boons thing is just a cynical way to get people that don't really need each other in this game to form or join guilds for their own self-interest. And the more they make all classes dps classes, people will need each other less and less. That's what you get for making people think that mmorpgs are supposed to be 90% combat or more. And classes or characters don't need or want many skills that aren't directly related to combat. Thank you Everkill and World of Warcrap. You have ruined the glorious possibilities of Massively Multi-player Online Role-Playing Games and transformed basically the whole genre into Monstrously Monotonous Online Repeat-Pay Grinds.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    The biggest challenge is there's a lot of things to do in the game, and people don't want to always do the same all the time, I wish there was more storytelling/mystery/suspense or at least far more ways to earn a much wider and varied set of rewards from gear, artifacts, refining stones, enchantments, runestones, wards, or even shards, influence, etc... For actual 'game' play.

I just remember when Ice Wind Pass opened up the possibility of earning an Aqua or Peridoes and you saw those instances filled will players in groups of 30 running HE after HE for hours weeknights, or weekends... Yet even if you did that several hours you be lucky to get 'one' uncommon artifact belt or neck piece to Rare or Epic in a few weeks depending how determined you may have been. Still those rewards were clawed back. Perhaps a year or two later we eventually got Maze Engine, it provides a uncommon resonance stone each day, but progress once artifact gear is Epic is very slow unless you have Leadership at 25.

That for most people takes months of running 9-18 projects each day just to get it there, and then you and then need to make sure to running 9-18 projects each day to gather enough for the next double RP event. Sure I'm not saying it can't be done but the amount of time required sometimes makes me why any one bothers...

While I'll admit boons in the last little while have made easier to progress thru, even if you had every one you'd still be unprepared for many EPIC dungeons.

I think that more than anything is what turns many away, while others instead invest a lot in a character or guild.

So I can't disagree with the ideal that far too many aspect of the game are extremely slow to progress, or offer viable rewards for the time invested and yet still here we are playing...
    Post edited by strathkin on
    Actually, it wouldn't even matter if all classes are dps, if all the classes have different skills and abilities that are required or wanted to do certain things in the game that other classes can't do. In original D&D, that's how it worked. That was the reason why everyone didn't play fighter.

When the only real, tangible goal in the game is to become more powerful, this is what you get. Over and over and over.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    I wish things were revised to give a few more options to pursue gear, equipment, artifacts, enchantments, runestones, wards, etc that gave a few more people a sense their characters were at least advancing at a more reasonable pace... From Dungeon's, Skill Nodes, Chests, Professions or Guild Stronghold Maps.

For those who have to buy an Epic Key to only get 2k - 2.5k salvage most of the time, and if you're lucky you get 5k but have simply traded refined diamonds for unrefined. Given that you'd at least expect Mini Bosses / Bosses to drop a few more Saphire's, Aqua's, Peridoes or Resonance Stones or at least be awarded in a Chests at the end.

Still I don't know how much we'll see things being reduced from growing guilds even if they are relaxed a bit; but I do like the idea of allowing professions to craft a few more items for guild coffers... along with offer far more varied and reasonable rewards to also help grow your characters in a variety of professions. :)

Exactly. We are all chasing moar powa! Skill does not matter, tactics do not matter, just melt everything and grab your piece of salvage.

Basically it goes like this: I want more power to kill mobs so that I can gain more power faster to kill mobs even faster than before. Then I will more quickly kill mobs at a faster rate so that I can gain even more power at breakneck speed to kill mobs at an exceedingly rapid pace.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    The strongholds were set up for a group of 125 players with 500 characters and 25 members who were active daily to grind out the stronghold builds. At the start some guilds with 500 players were 'grandfathered in', but any who left the Guild could not return until the number of players was reduced to below 125. Alliances added another 12 Guilds to the group and they could donate to each other's coffers. Less than 5 months later Gutbuster's Brigade made Guild rank 20. Many more have followed to Rank 20. Every time the guild hall in a Stronghold in an Alliance ranks up the cost of doing every subsequent project drops slightly until all Guilds in the Alliance are a rank 20, and there are a few of those Alliances with all Rank 20 Guilds and each member and group helped in that success.

Our Guild was active, but now it is casual and instead of 30-70 characters contributing each week, we now have 10-15 (and 10 of those are mine). we just finished a project that was worked on for 4 months, the next project will take less time as will the 2 after it, but after that it may take 5 months to do the next project because our coffers will have been depleted. With patience, we'll finally make it to Guild Rank 20 years from now. the Guilds in our Alliance will be higher ranked too.

Some building projects in the past took decades or centuries to complete, and you want it NOW, NOW,NOW!

As a lawyer friend said many times, "No harm in wanting, every harm in getting."
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    niadan said:

As for lowering guild costs, I understand full well the costs associated with ranking up a guild, but how do you propose that it is fair to those that paid the price, to also be happy about a proposal to "drastically reduce the costs"?

I see no difference between lowering construction costs in the stronghold and them raising the amount of voninblod you get from turning in relics. Was that fair to those that already ground out what they needed for the campaign?

Locking the Power boon behind PvP was a crock. Locking anything meant for use in the whole game behind PvP was a bad decision. Lock PvP only boons behind PvP requirements.

I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

Alliance are a rank 20, and there are a few of those Alliances with all Rank 20 Guilds and each member and group helped in that success.

I don't believe there is a single alliance with all guilds at SH20. (Total rank of 260)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

Alliance are a rank 20, and there are a few of those Alliances with all Rank 20 Guilds and each member and group helped in that success.

I don't believe there is a single alliance with all guilds at SH20. (Total rank of 260)
    If it hasn't yet happened in Relentless, and you'd know, then I'd have to assume it hasn't happened for anyone. I fully expect Relentless will get to claim "first!" there, fwiw.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

I am really not sure why there is so much negativity here over this. It would help those who are still grinding SHs and would not hurt those who are at 20 and have already benefited for a very long time from having a Rank 20 guild. Repeat, it will not hurt you one bit.....

Because they already did the hard work to get the boons, and they don't want you to have it easier than they did.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

Hard work? No, large wallets.....

Oh, Really? Perhaps you should spend more time farming influence and less yapping on the forums.