test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best weapon set to refine this weekend for a returning GF?

manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
Hi, I just returned to the game last weekend after a long break, and I want to take advantage of the upcoming 2X refinement weekend for a new weapon set but I'm not sure what to refine. I haven't played since the Tiamat fights, can't remember what Module that was, so I have the orange sword and shield (Golden Dragon maybe?) from that Module back when characters were level 60. I got my ruined sword and shield from the Sea of Moving Ice Royal Allies quest the other day but it looks like that is going to take a long time for me to repair them before I can actually use them.

So is there a set I can get for this weekend? I got a fire set for free in the sky zone but I figured that set was probably not good since I got it for free doing solo quests. I plan to play dps mostly. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    It's pretty unlikely that you'll be able to make it to one of the new Best in Slot sets in time for the weekend.

However, the elemental sets (drowned is probably most relevant for a GF) or a twisted set could possibly be within reach. Since like you point out getting to the SKT Relic weapons or some of the new Ascended Relic weapons is going to be a much longer road, it definitely makes sense to grab a level 70 artifact weapon set and level it up to epic for the time being.

I don't remember if the elemental sets just became craftable for consoles or if that's coming with this patch. If they've been craftable for some time, you can buy a drowned set off the AH for cheap (make sure to inspect to look for one that has a good artifact power, since they come out random). Or you can farm edemo for twisted, but that would probably be a bit of a grind.

Then I'd say it makes sense to work towards either the SKT or ascended relic weapons (either will take many weeks to get, and SKT relics require special marks to upgrade which have to be farmed from SVA and mSVA).
  • manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I am on the PC, forgot to mention that if that changes anything
    manipulos said:

I am on the PC, forgot to mention that if that changes anything

Nope, that just reinforces my opinion: you should go on the AH and search for drowned weapons with the right artifact power already randomly selected. Level it up to epic or so, so you get all 3 slots.

And then work on your boons etc. for all of the campaigns that you missed, and work towards probably one of the new Ascended weapons (the SKT ones are even more expensive in terms grind or supplemental AH purchasing).
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    For.pre mod 10 weapons sets, the final slot unlocks only at legendary. It would probably be best to stop at epic since ths set is decidedly a stop gap solution. That way you don't have to use expensive epic marks.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    pitshade said:

For.pre mod 10 weapons sets, the final slot unlocks only at legendary. It would probably be best to stop at epic since ths set is decidedly a stop gap solution. That way you don't have to use expensive epic marks.

Oops thank you for keeping me honest. -1 slot because those unlock at legendary and as pitshade stated it's not worthwhile spending the resources to get the pre-mod-10 weps to legendary.

But it is worth getting them as a stepping stone to the new expensive relic weapons.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    I know this is offtopic slightly, but if you're a pure tank GF (Protector and arguably Tactician), there's little reason for you to restore the Sea of Moving Ice weapons. The weapon doesn't benefit you much besides the aggro department...

If you decide to become a DPS GF (which is totally possible and can definitely pump out top-tier damage, take a look around for the whining), then by all means, go ahead and restore the relic weapon...

rjc9000 said:

I know this is offtopic slightly, but if you're a pure tank GF (Protector and arguably Tactician), there's little reason for you to restore the Sea of Moving Ice weapons. The weapon doesn't benefit you much besides the aggro department...

If you decide to become a DPS GF (which is totally possible and can definitely pump out top-tier damage, take a look around for the whining), then by all means, go ahead and restore the relic weapon...

So I originally played this GF as kind of a reflecting damage tactician build. I don't remember the exact details but it had something to do with triggering one of my dailies and going immune to damage for a few seconds at the same time. It was fun but those powers were changed at some point so it looks like I had respecc'd to Conqueror. I remember doing that because it would take me an hour to do a couple dailies in the dragon zone when it came out because my dps was so terrible.

Anyway, long story short I'm going to play this guy for dps, but I read about the new loadouts coming next month so we can have a loadout for tank and one for dps maybe?
    Your Tactician reflect build would actually work a lot better now than before, since Supremacy of Steel no longer caps your AP Gain (but Steel Defense had its duration nerfed.

And I sympathize with your on Tactician soloing time, I too know the pains of soloing as a Tactican build.

And yes, yes you can, with loadouts, you can create a DPS build and a tank build on the same character.

However, unless you're planning a full blown DPS build, ie, built and played like a Destroyer GWF, I don't see the bother of chasing the Relic weapons. They won't do much for a tank build besides help your aggro and with the correct feats/powers, your solo times as a Conqueror won't change much between using a Relic vs. Drowned weapons.

If you are planning a full-blown DPS build, you need to commit to it. It's not an easy class to play and you're probably (literally) going to die trying to learn playing the DPS tank. And you might meet some haters along the way which despise you for picking a high risk high reward option.

• tuka93#1385 tuka93 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    > @rjc9000 said:
    > I know this is offtopic slightly, but if you're a pure tank GF (Protector and arguably Tactician), there's little reason for you to restore the Sea of Moving Ice weapons. The weapon doesn't benefit you much besides the aggro department...
    >

I was think the -10% Incoming dmg would be very nice at top end cause you cap your dr and the raw -10% would be quite nice. Just my opinion.
    I ended up not refining a weapon set at all last weekend. It seems like the biggest upgrade I can work on right now is a companion with good bonding stones right? Those are new since I played so I don't have any, too bad they are so expensive on the AH! Any advice for how I can work on that? I have a few purple companions: dire wolf, a lillend, the sylph, and a battlefield medic I think. Upgrading a companion from level 35 is 1M AD! That's a tall task when you can refine 28K total each day right?

I'm starting to remember what killed the fun for me in this game...
    I bought the first rank of VIP thinking, hey this is a great new idea for this game, kind of like a subscription at $10 a month. But I basically get a key each day that opens a lockbox that gives me junk. Was lockbox stuff always this bad? I got 2 companion upgrade tokens a few times, and then realized I need something like 120 of them to upgrade my level 35 companion! Genie's gift and the purple companion experience books are worthless as well, they are both dirt cheap on the AH.

Sorry I'm just rambling now

Prices change, but the best way to get bondings are to start with 3x normals which at least recently go for 200k each. Then as you get enough RP to rank them up buy more normals. When you are ready to rank up your now Greater bondings, do so by buying more normals. They are usually cheaper than buying 2 lessers and avoid the need for marks. Normals drop from lockboxes so the supply is steady and prices remain better than lessers which come with Zen shop companions and from remaining Winter Fest stocks. Greaters have to be made AFAIK so ths price is higher. You will need to eventually buy 12 normals to make 3 Perfects. After that, the upgrades don't require additional bondings.

To make money off of VIP keys, open the lockbox and sell the resulting box. Don't open anything beyond that, sell baby sell. Opening them gives a small chance to increase your value and a large chance to wreck it. Let someone else experience depreciation.

Take the Companion box. The market sets the value of that at a point that is above the worst rewards (most likely to get) but not as much as the best rewards (least likely to get) Unless the odds of getting the good result are approaching 100%, the smart money is on selling it unopened. (if they were a 100%, the price would be the same as the good result)

TLDR open the lockbox and sell whatever without opening it further.

Otherwise, the way to make AD without lots of alts or already being geared, is to farm items that others need but can't or won't farm enough of. Without going into a tutorial, at various times, SoMI bottles, Dread Ring marks, Fey Blessings/Dragon Hoards... have been or remain good ways of making money. But they require grind which is why they have value... most people would rather buy them than farm.
    Thanks for the advice pitshade! I have a bunch of alts that I would invoke and do leadership on in the past, but it seems like they've nerfed that so bad that it's not even worth invoking anymore much less leveling up leadership.

> @rjc9000 said:

> I know this is offtopic slightly, but if you're a pure tank GF (Protector and arguably Tactician), there's little reason for you to restore the Sea of Moving Ice weapons. The weapon doesn't benefit you much besides the aggro department...

>

I was think the -10% Incoming dmg would be very nice at top end cause you cap your dr and the raw -10% would be quite nice. Just my opinion.

That is true, but my issue with Relic is the dualfold set bonus: I can't activate the DPS boost exactly when I want and I can't activate the defensive boost when I want.

Sometimes you'll get the DPS bonus when you're trying not to die and vice versa when you're trying to lay the smackdown.

It feels inconsistent for me, and given the relative cost of the Relic, I'd rather pick other weapons with less effort needed/more consistent set bonuses.
    manipulos said:

Thanks for the advice pitshade! I have a bunch of alts that I would invoke and do leadership on in the past, but it seems like they've nerfed that so bad that it's not even worth invoking anymore much less leveling up leadership.

During the Winter Festival, it is extremely easy to gather up a stack of Bondings. Do a Gift Party and watch the comps with Bonding runestones pile up.

I actually remember people would give away free comps to people, on the condition you gave back the Bonding runestone in the comp. There's no way to enforce this, but most people were pretty honest from what I heard.

Regarding weapons, am I am not a math person, both relic and ascended have a 1/3 uptime IIRC. So you get a buff for 10 secs and then wait for 20 while it cools down. 1/3 of 10 (relic) is 3.33. for ascended it would 1.33. A whole difference of 2% but that is only if you only proc the damage bonus when you need it. Otherwise it is worse... As for the defense side, the limited uptime makes it something you can't really count on.

I've restores relics on 3 chars and won't do any more. Mod 11 grind isn't a cakewalk but much better than 3 weeks of dailies, spending a small fortune on materials to restore and THEN farming MSVA, fishing, BHE... nope.

As for making AD on alts, it depends on how much you want to do with them
    I have 10 characters, 2 are mains. The rest can run 4 or 5 weeklies (4500 RAD each) and generate RP for me at the same time. As I develop them further they van run epics with guildies and make more AD and salvage.

Even without gearing them up, letting them salvage the stuff my mains get in dungeons means a +50% AD boost from their invocations.

And while it was a grind and had some upfront costs, they all have rank 25 leadership and churn out unbound, sellable RP every day with just around a minute a piece twice a day. Not the 1.5 million a week I used to get, but in the end you have to work with what you have.
    pitshade said:

Regarding weapons, am I am not a math person, both relic and ascended have a 1/3 uptime IIRC. So you get a buff for 10 secs and then wait for 20 while it cools down. 1/3 of 10 (relic) is 3.33. for ascended it would 1.33. A whole difference of 2% but that is only if you only proc the damage bonus when you need it. Otherwise it is worse... As for the defense side, the limited uptime makes it something you can't really count on.

I've restores relics on 3 chars and won't do any more. Mod 11 grind isn't a cakewalk but much better than 3 weeks of dailies, spending a small fortune on materials to restore and THEN farming MSVA, fishing, BHE... nope.

As for making AD on alts, it depends on how much you want to do with them

I have 10 characters, 2 are mains. The rest can run 4 or 5 weeklies (4500 RAD each) and generate RP for me at the same time. As I develop them further they van run epics with guildies and make more AD and salvage.

Even without gearing them up, letting them salvage the stuff my mains get in dungeons means a +50% AD boost from their invocations.

And while it was a grind and had some upfront costs, they all have rank 25 leadership and churn out unbound, sellable RP every day with just around a minute a piece twice a day. Not the 1.5 million a week I used to get, but in the end you have to work with what you have.

That's great info on the weapon sets, I was looking at the Ascended and they looked cool, was thinking the Aboleth looked good. What do you think is the best one for dps?

As far as the alts, don't laugh but I have 50 characters. The first 10 or 12 of them had maxed level 20 leadership and the rest I was working on, but it was slow going because it's really tedious doing professions on that many characters even when we had the gateway. Most days I just invoked on the extra 40 characters just to get the AD and wards once a week. I noticed now that it's every eleven days and most of the time I don't even get a ward, just a rank 4 or two and a stone, so I'm debating even invoking them all anymore.

Aboleth is considered to best for a dps char, but IIRC the Lifeforged adds 10% of your defense to your power when it procs. Again, not a math person so I don't know at what point that will be more than the +4%. However, the bonuses are mostly flavor. the BIG damage increase comes from the base weapon damage and power that they add. A green mod 10 or 11 weapon does more damage than a legendary Twisted. It's insane how much damage it adds.

If not for the RAD bonus and generating so much salvage, I wouldn't bother invoking my chars more than once a day. I have gotten coals but it's rare enough not to be an enticement. Get leadership to rank 21 (it's a chore, believe me) but then you can start making RP bags to use for yourself or sell. Just set them working once a day and it will help.
    Thanks guys for all your advice!

Side story:
    I queued up for a skirmish, the "new" one in the dwarf throne room, and ended up with a good group. There was an HR in our party that was doing insane damage. I inspected him and he had orange weapons, twisted I think, mostly rank 9-11 enchants, purple or orange artifacts and a Dread weapon enchant transcendent I think. My guess was he was a PvPer by the name.

Anyway, the damage he was doing was out of this world, just melting everything. I think he had 30 or 40mil dmg, twice as much as the next person and ten times as much as me haha! We ended up doing the same skirmish and then EToS and he melted everything the whole time. I don't know the attacks they use but it looked like he was throwing knifes half the time. So I was thinking, why even work on this GF for dps I should just work on my low level HR! Isn't it always like that in this game though? The "flavor of the month" syndrome or flavor of the mod in the case of Neverwinter.
    manipulos said:

Thanks guys for all your advice!

Side story:
    I queued up for a skirmish, the "new" one in the dwarf throne room, and ended up with a good group. There was an HR in our party that was doing insane damage. I inspected him and he had orange weapons, twisted I think, mostly rank 9-11 enchants, purple or orange artifacts and a Dread weapon enchant transcendent I think. My guess was he was a PvPer by the name.

Anyway, the damage he was doing was out of this world, just melting everything. I think he had 30 or 40mil dmg, twice as much as the next person and ten times as much as me haha! We ended up doing the same skirmish and then EToS and he melted everything the whole time. I don't know the attacks they use but it looked like he was throwing knifes half the time. So I was thinking, why even work on this GF for dps I should just work on my low level HR! Isn't it always like that in this game though? The "flavor of the month" syndrome or flavor of the mod in the case of Neverwinter.

I've said this many times in DPS discussions and I'll say it again: being able to melt mobs in skirmishes/lowbie dungeons is not equal to overall DPS output.

If you have a good bit of gear and go into something like Lostmauth, EToS, or Kessel's, you can destroy the mobs within the blink of an eye. Whoever does the most DPS in those circumstances is the one who touches the mobs first.

Now, if you said something like Fangbreaker or eSvard, then you'd have a point.

The GF has the tools to do just as much damage, if not more, provided you build and run your GF correctly. Look around and you'll see some of the butthurt around the forums about how the GF's DPS is a bit over the top.

rjc9000 said:

I've said this many times in DPS discussions and I'll say it again: being able to melt mobs in skirmishes/lowbie dungeons is not equal to overall DPS output.

If you have a good bit of gear and go into something like Lostmauth, EToS, or Kessel's, you can destroy the mobs within the blink of an eye. Whoever does the most DPS in those circumstances is the one who touches the mobs first.

Now, if you said something like Fangbreaker or eSvard, then you'd have a point.

The GF has the tools to do just as much damage, if not more, provided you build and run your GF correctly. Look around and you'll see some of the butthurt around the forums about how the GF's DPS is a bit over the top.

Oh I'm sure you're right, I haven't played in a year or two and I've only been back for a couple weeks casually. That was my first real skirmish and epic dungeon and I was terrible as expected.