What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deflection and Deflection Severity

odinguard#3346 odinguard Member Posts: 29 Arc User
Does anyone know the cap of Deflection chance and deflection severity for GF

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Deflect chance cap: 100%

I've never seen any GF actually reach 100% Deflect chance... but hey, it's possible. The reason why 100% is the "soft cap" is because if you have a guranteed deflect chance, there's no reason to stack any more.

Like DR, you could probably stack more, but it wouldn't help your survivability that much further.

Severity cap for GF: 50% + consumables (there are some Deflect Severity consumables, but I've never used them)

• odinguard#3346 odinguard Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    If you had 80% damage resistance + 100% deflection chance with the standard 50% deflect severity. Would that not give us 90% damage risistance Or rather damage avoidance.
    Yeah, something like that.

If we took an attack that did, say, 100 damage for sake of easy calculation...

DR
    100 * (1-0.8)
    100 * 0.2

Deflect
    20 * (1-0.5)
    20 * 0.5

The attack was only 10% as effective as base, so yes, both rolls would render the attack 90% less effective (or, "damage avoidance", as you put it).

I believe this is how the DR/damage calculations work, but if someone out there is lurking and knows this better, feel free to speak up and correct me.

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Yeah, something like that.

If we took an attack that did, say, 100 damage for sake of easy calculation...

DR
    100 * (1-0.8)
    100 * 0.2

Deflect
    20 * (1-0.5)
    20 * 0.5

The attack was only 10% as effective as base, so yes, both rolls would render the attack 90% less effective (or, "damage avoidance", as you put it).

I believe this is how the DR/damage calculations work, but if someone out there is lurking and knows this better, feel free to speak up and correct me.

Having a Shadow Demon companion that damage would be even lower.
    For... one attack only... regardless of the attack's actual damage...with an ICD...

• sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    One thing I would wonder is the order of mitigation while shielding.

I'm sure I could test this next time I'm in game, but if someone knows off hand....

Is it Damage - DR - Sucessful Deflect - Shield?

So to use @rjc9000 100 damage example:

DR
    100 * (1-0.8)
    100 * 0.2

Deflect
    20 * (1-0.5)
    20 * 0.5

Shield

10 * (1-0.8)
    10 * 0.2

OR

DR
    100 * (1-0.8)
    100 * 0.2

Shield

20 * (1-0.8)
    20 * 0.2

Deflect
    4 * (1-0.5)
    4 * 0.5

Obviously we want it to work with Shield mitigating before deflect % chance... since it's 100% chance to mitigate vs. 40-50% on those GF's who have made a decent investment in Deflection Chance.

-= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
    I don't think you can actually Deflect while shielding, but I could be wrong.

• azaylin#1903 azaylin Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    rjc9000 is correct its why alot of GF use a pure shadowclad, it works as a negation since with your shield up you can not deflect allowing you to create stacks with out fear of loosing em.
    So deflect is not worth it with a shield. But without a shield you can avoid 90% + damage.
    Because of 80% DR + 100 Deflect chance with 50% deflect severity.
    Shield + 80% DR (assuming you've already accounted for enemy armorpen) allows you to mitigate 96% of the attack's original damage.

100 * (1-0.8) * (1-0.8)
    100 * (0.2) * (0.2)

I just don't see the point in stacking 100% Deflect when our shield and DR do a better job of reducing incoming damage. And, Deflect is luck based otherwise, which can make it a bit inconsistent.

• sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 203 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

I don't think you can actually Deflect while shielding, but I could be wrong.

Hmm... something I guess I never noticed. Definitely significantly reduces the value of Deflection... it's basically just helpful when moving or you don't have your shield up during daily/encounter/at-will use. (where you able to verify?)

It does make me think that stacking deflection might be worthwhile for OP Tanks... since they only use their shield for CC Immunity.
    -= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
    Guarded Assault reflects with shield
    Guarded Assault is not the same as Deflect.

Deflect is a chance to take halved damage, Guarded Assault reflects a portion of a shielded attack's damage back to the attacker.

Some reflection sources might proc from Deflect, but a basic Deflect doesn't deal any damage to the attacker.